Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

There's been such a deluge of Lovecraft stuff in the past 15 years ranging from masterpieces to forgettable shovelware, that it could be a lot of things. It feels like there were three dozen people waiting for the precise moment Lovecraft's stories became public domain to hit that button and launch that Kickstarter.

Anyway, maybe you're thinking of Degenesis?
Didn't he release them into the public domain when he was alive? That's why there's always been a ton of lovecraft stuff published.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rappaport posted:

You might like A Colder War, though it still features humans. But it all goes horrible for everyone involved!

Oh I've recommended that to many people and is why I was asking the question. I think it was eldritch skies but I gotta ctrl f the first dozen or so pages to double check

e: It was the cruel empire of tsan chan

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jan 27, 2023

BougieBitch
Oct 2, 2013

Basic as hell

This is a poster that knows his audience

Speaking of, I grabbed the Steam version on the winter sale and haven't played it yet (there or otherwise), any tips for a neophyte or suggestions for how/who to play so I can get my dealers?

Edit: lol that was supposed to say sea legs instead of dealers and I only noticed like 12 hours later that it autocorrected

BougieBitch fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 28, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Birds and woodland alliance are so, so strong. Birds in particular might be the most overall balanced. Cats are kinda fun though I wish they could attack twice if they chose that as one of their 3 actions, similar to move. They're just a little too action starved it feels but I am bad at the game. Vagabond is for assholes and if the other players aren't making his life miserable at every opportunity, he'll likely win with the right cards.

Play the tutorial. I had about 8 hours at least into it before I felt comfy playing the real game but it's still fun enough that it didn't feel wasted

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
With Cats it can sometimes feel like the objective is to lose slowly enough to win. It's strange.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

pick the crows and play turn based bomberman

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
i have yet to actually win as cats vs other players. on top of being kind of weak and hard to play, they end up often in an early lead but their scoring slows down in midgame. and they are _really_ rewarding to beat up since they make a lot of buildings and end up often with a hoard of cardboard they cant defend or get rid of so even if youre eating poo poo people will still find their best path to victory is destroying you. and your early game position and need to police everyone else means that if there's a particularly vengeful player on the board they will very likely blitz you to burn down your keep as petty revenge for the sin of your existence. to top it all off, the otters could probably be one of your best friends since they'll give you a source of good cards, but a very "meta" strategy is for the otter to just repeatedly squat on your wood piles so you have to pay them for the privilege of playing a normal game, which despite being an obviously losing strategy will still often result in extremely pissed off otter players who will demand death or reparations for your violation of the NAP if you like, respond with "aggression" with actual aggression.

they're the only faction that can actually be totally tabled but thats just salt in the wound, it rarely actually comes up.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Jan 28, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

What's tabled mean? I also adore how the keep is totally defenseless. Root is a good game but man is it frustrating sometimes.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Tabled as in, you can be wiped out and cannot put anything else back on the board; all your stuff has been removed from the table and put back in the box. (I think its a warhammer slang that I picked up from the total war multiplayer scene.) All other factions either don't need to have things already on the board to put down new things, or have some explicit mechanic that lets them put down new things if otherwise they'd be screwed, but a cat without capital is no cat at all.

There's a few other factions that can maybe wrestle themselves intentionally to a point where they're basically incapable of doing anything on the board, but the cats are the only one where it might actually come up without it entirely being your own fault, and even then it has some requirements like there not being any otters to hire or hirelings to, uh, hire (not that it'd matter either way since you're in all likelihood not winning the game at this point no matter what). You still take turns so you might have a card you crafted that you could maybe use to save yourself, but the best case if you cant get back on the board is that there are lizards and you can vaguely shift the outcast suit to maybe annoy them, letting you roleplay as something like a forlorn haunt trying to communicate your distress onto a furry themed Ouija board. Or a failed business owner turned politician banished to writing opinion pieces in the back half of the Economist.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 28, 2023

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

i have yet to actually win as cats vs other players. on top of being kind of weak and hard to play, they end up often in an early lead but their scoring slows down in midgame. and they are _really_ rewarding to beat up since they make a lot of buildings and end up often with a hoard of cardboard they cant defend or get rid of so even if youre eating poo poo people will still find their best path to victory is destroying you. and your early game position and need to police everyone else means that if there's a particularly vengeful player on the board they will very likely blitz you to burn down your keep as petty revenge for the sin of your existence. to top it all off, the otters could probably be one of your best friends since they'll give you a source of good cards, but a very "meta" strategy is for the otter to just repeatedly squat on your wood piles so you have to pay them for the privilege of playing a normal game, which despite being an obviously losing strategy will still often result in extremely pissed off otter players who will demand death or reparations for your violation of the NAP if you like, respond with "aggression" with actual aggression.

they're the only faction that can actually be totally tabled but thats just salt in the wound, it rarely actually comes up.

Cat has to sacrifice territory to save their pieces and build up enough power to fight

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the "pro" meta seems to be just getting your second forge burned down repeatedly because it's the most cost effective building to throw down for points

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Forge burn was an inside job, The Marquise did it.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Forge burn was an inside job, The Marquise did it.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Milo and POTUS posted:

This is a big thread and the only one I've really read on tabletop games, was there some game or setting that took place in the cthulhu mythos after humans were extinct and the surviving factions were predictably horrible? I've tried ctrl+fing lovecraft but I haven't found it

Chaosium did a range of short pdfs in their Monograph series. The two I can think of are set after it all goes down, one set on Earth a few thousand years after and there are a couple of places protected from most of the old ones due to worship of one particular old one and the human sacrifices that go with it.

The other is set on a Human colony on Mars set a few hundred years after it all went down. Mars is somewhat, minimally terraformed, there are secrets to be found about ancient Martians, etc. I think the colony believes a nuclear war happened which is why communications stopped, and an attempt to go back to Earth to find out what really happened may threaten the colony. Perhaps the top tier of the colony is more aware of what is going on, but still doesn't know the whole truth which is why the 'nuclear war' explanation is told to the rest of the colony.

None of these pdfs are labeled as 'monographs' anymore, so it's difficult to search them out.

Edit: The Mars-based one is called End Time, still looking for the other one.

Edit, again: The Cruel Empire of... *sigh* Tsan Chan is the other. They aren't connected, but I don't see how they couldn't be made to be so.

LashLightning fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 29, 2023

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Milo and POTUS posted:

This is a big thread and the only one I've really read on tabletop games, was there some game or setting that took place in the cthulhu mythos after humans were extinct and the surviving factions were predictably horrible? I've tried ctrl+fing lovecraft but I haven't found it

Fate of Cthulhu goes halfway into this - in the future the stars are right and things have gone all gribbly, and so some of the human resistance have time-traveled back to the present day.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

https://youtu.be/IEUqLL8J4gI

I asked this question up-thread, and this is a well researched video essay about why you’re always killing god in jrpgs

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Killing the god who represents the themes of your story is a nice way to tie everything together in a way that also uses the main element of your gameplay (the battle system).

That said, the word "god" means practically nothing so this is a fairly meaningless observation.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Triskelli posted:

https://youtu.be/IEUqLL8J4gI

I asked this question up-thread, and this is a well researched video essay about why you’re always killing god in jrpgs

I can't watch the video yet because I'm at work, but how much of the reasons are "Because God is a dick and needs to be punched in the mouth"?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Randalor posted:

I can't watch the video yet because I'm at work, but how much of the reasons are "Because God is a dick and needs to be punched in the mouth"?

I’m still working my way through it, but it starts out describing eastern religious tropes, the cultivation of immortality by mortals, and how Japanese religious organizations accrued political and military power, which caused later military governments to suppress those religions and claiming a divine right to do so.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Aug 2, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So basically all of them? Good to know. I'll try to watch it on my bus ride home after work.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Clarste posted:

Killing the god who represents the themes of your story is a nice way to tie everything together in a way that also uses the main element of your gameplay (the battle system).

That said, the word "god" means practically nothing so this is a fairly meaningless observation.

As a lifelong JRPG player, I've never understood this supposed cliche in JRPGs. Final Fantasy is surely the premium name in JRPGs and while certain bosses end up with godlike power by the end, it's almost always just some dude or maybe a lady that one time. The only god/abstract entity final bosses I can think of are Cloud of Darkness, Necron, and Orphan. Oh and Bhunivelze if we count sequels/spinoffs.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
In Final Fantasy Legend you can kill your Creator with a chainsaw and eat His flesh.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Halloween Jack posted:

In Final Fantasy Legend you can kill your Creator with a chainsaw and eat His flesh.
it's the best final fantasy game, on the best platform

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Charlz Guybon posted:

Didn't he release them into the public domain when he was alive? That's why there's always been a ton of lovecraft stuff published.
No, not at all. He appointed RH Barlow his literary executor, and while that wasn't in his will, his aunt followed through on it. But August Derleth basically appointed himself as the keeper of Lovecraft's legacy when he founded Arkham House, and made false claims that were hard to contest after Barlow died. It was complicated for a long time.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

As a lifelong JRPG player, I've never understood this supposed cliche in JRPGs. Final Fantasy is surely the premium name in JRPGs and while certain bosses end up with godlike power by the end, it's almost always just some dude or maybe a lady that one time. The only god/abstract entity final bosses I can think of are Cloud of Darkness, Necron, and Orphan. Oh and Bhunivelze if we count sequels/spinoffs.

FFT is kind of more god murder, iirc. or fake god, i don't really remember.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Every single SMT game puts a pretty large weight on the scale. Also Sephiroth is in theory some dude, the imag everyone uses for killing gods in JRPGs is his final form which he got by eating a cthulhu monster and taking on its mission.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Sephiroth's final form and not Kefka's? Odd.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
his name is a reference to the kabbalah, that has to count for something

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Tiler Kiwi posted:

his name is a reference to the kabbalah, that has to count for something

My fellow poster in Cthulhu, have you heard of Wizardry 4?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Halloween Jack posted:

Sephiroth's final form and not Kefka's? Odd.

Spoiler for the video: its because the god is capitalism

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Rappaport posted:

My fellow poster in Cthulhu, have you heard of Wizardry 4?

yes

its a weird game but also cool

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Apparently Wizardries are pretty popular in Japan, I wonder which way the Kabbalah influences went. Although by the LP, getting the Kabbalah references in Wizardry 4 is a humongous pain in the rear end.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
It's fun to see all of the Western fantasy tropes in Japanese media and how they differ from what we usually see, and the answer as to why they're like that usually just boils down to "well that's how it worked in Wizardry"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
We owe Wizardry a debt for giving us little doggie kobolds, if nothing else.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

boo

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

NikkolasKing posted:

It's just I guess at this point millennial/partial gen-x confirmation bias about JRPGs? There were quite a few "what if some church people....bad?" and "psshh, I the edgy main character thinks the church is crap, huh the big bad is god weird" not just in JRPGs but in some cult action games/etc. too in the mid to late 90s. For many adults who still play games but probably the biggest single point of them sitting down and playing games at length was when they were in their teens/early adult hood around that time, I can see why it's a thing that sticks out.

Speaking of old memory brain on my part....

Halloween Jack posted:

He only did the art for like one Wizardry game but I always associate the series with Katsuya Terada now because of his stuff for Wizardry Tale of the Forsaken Land. He did the OG Legend of Zelda art too so his stuff is just forever burned into my brain as like "this is what old Japanese fantasy stuff with some western influences looks like"* even his style is not AS prolific in that place and time in reality as much as I think it is.

*I know Wizardry series didn't originate in Japan but oh my word did Japan run with it in comparison to the US.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 2, 2023

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Terada is one of my favourite illustrators--above Amano for me. I must have first seen it in old issues of Nintendo Power. Now his style recalls my favourite D&D artists from that era, like Clyde Caldwell. Hell, I wish my tabletop books from the 90s had art as consistently good as the stuff he did for Nintendo Power.

Oddly enough, when Pool of Radiance was ported to the NES, it had little doggie kobolds. At some point between late AD&D2e and 3e they were cemented as little reptile guys and that stuck.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Chu Chu died for your sins.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Halloween Jack posted:

Terada is one of my favourite illustrators--above Amano for me. I must have first seen it in old issues of Nintendo Power. Now his style recalls my favourite D&D artists from that era, like Clyde Caldwell. Hell, I wish my tabletop books from the 90s had art as consistently good as the stuff he did for Nintendo Power.

Oddly enough, when Pool of Radiance was ported to the NES, it had little doggie kobolds. At some point between late AD&D2e and 3e they were cemented as little reptile guys and that stuck.

pool of radiance and other gold boxes were 1st ed ad&d

kobolds became draconic in the 3rd ed, but they had never really been dogs in d&d, they just sounded like small dogs in the earlier editions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Kobolds are outright still little dog (or at least mammalian) people in AD&D 2e, it was a noteworthy change that Wizards made them lizardy and tied to dragons in 3rd Edition. Japanese nerd-media dog kobolds are most different in that they're often depicted as big dudes almost like dog gnolls instead of dog goblins.