Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

verbal enema posted:

e: tthere as a dude with a giant sword and some kinda vortex power to ssummon and we kicked their rear end

Old Knight Istvan, I believe! You'll reunite with him later, after you've explored some of the area to the distant northwest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
*me coming out of the end of the coastal cave and seeing where i am*

:O

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

verbal enema posted:

*me coming out of the end of the coastal cave and seeing where i am*

:O

congrats gamer

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
the glowing white skulls arent only fun soccer balls to kick off cliffs they uh also have runes in them lmao

the backwards z on the compass is south not lightning...

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 28, 2023

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

verbal enema posted:

the glowing white skulls arent only fun soccer balls to kick off cliffs they uh also have runes in them lmao

the backwards z on the compass is south not lightning...

It could be both, if there's lightning south of you

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Angry Diplomat posted:

Old Knight Istvan, I believe! You'll reunite with him later, after you've explored some of the area to the distant northwest.

Think he's talking about the limgrave onyx lord on the beach.

Edit: oh duh. I thought he said he fought a guy with a giant sword, not with a guy.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 28, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

War Wizard posted:

Think he's talking about the limgrave onyx lord on the beach.

nope it was istvan

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

verbal enema posted:

nope it was istvan

I may have killed that guy, though, in my defence, a stranger asked me to do t

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
how do i hold my sword with bth hands

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Let me tell you thread. This felt way too good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo7zrL5xXik

Edit - Thank you again Goons.

Katamari Democracy fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 28, 2023

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

verbal enema posted:

press your interact key + either RB1 (right) or LB1 (left), depending on the weapon you want to two-hand

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
okcool found margit nnow i can go wander cuz i have a story point focus on

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
just watched a dragon fly die to fall damage lmao

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
any advice on the godskin duo as a strength melee? i saw a video of people cheesing with hoarfrost and sleep darts but that seems complicated too

is that my best solution if i am having trouble?

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

err posted:

any advice on the godskin duo as a strength melee? i saw a video of people cheesing with hoarfrost and sleep darts but that seems complicated too

Sleep pots. The recipe is hidden in limgrave I believe. Just one will knock them out and you can deal with them one at a time. It's their major weakness.

Edit: If you don't have the recipe you can find the it by climbing the ruin that the great Kenneth Haight resides on.

Oh and always focus one down, since putting them both into phase 2 at the same time is a disaster.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 28, 2023

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
The best advice is fight the Noble first. Despite his looks he is faster and more aggressive, so if you fight the Apostle then you're fighting a 2v1. If you fight the Noble you're fighting a 1v1 with the occasional fireball tossed in for flavour.

The hard part is dealing with the Noble's phase 2 attacks, especially his glitchy-rear end roll. If you stay near where his head is then it's easier to dodge, but I was never able to manage it consistently. The pillars sometimes stop the roll but sometimes don't.

Some advice that doesn't help with the fight itself, but it still useful, is that there's a much closer grace. You get there by doing a 180 from the Dragon Temple grace, jumping down to the stairs, and then doing some other steps I forget. The banished knights on the way from the main grace are really annoying, so having one right next door can greatly streamline things.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Oh and hot tip for new tarnished: holding the d-pad down for a second will return the item selection to the first slot, so you don't have to worry about looping back around the belt.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fat guy resists smash, skinny guy resists slash. Fat guy is the most dangerous of the two by a huge margin. Sleep one and focus on the other, or learn to get good at using the environment to separate them. You can keep hitting them as they despawn to do extra free damage for a couple seconds. Put up a 100% phys resist shield for the large lad roll, everything else is just tempting fate.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

War Wizard posted:

Sleep pots. The recipe is hidden in limgrave I believe. Just one will knock them out and you can deal with them one at a time. It's their major weakness.

Edit: If you don't have the recipe you can find the it by climbing the ruin that the great Kenneth Haight resides on.

Oh and always focus one down, since putting them both into phase 2 at the same time is a disaster.

thanks, i have never crafted in this game and the idea of only having enough pots for a few runs or whatever makes it scary

Arcvasti posted:

The best advice is fight the Noble first. Despite his looks he is faster and more aggressive, so if you fight the Apostle then you're fighting a 2v1. If you fight the Noble you're fighting a 1v1 with the occasional fireball tossed in for flavour.

The hard part is dealing with the Noble's phase 2 attacks, especially his glitchy-rear end roll. If you stay near where his head is then it's easier to dodge, but I was never able to manage it consistently. The pillars sometimes stop the roll but sometimes don't.

Some advice that doesn't help with the fight itself, but it still useful, is that there's a much closer grace. You get there by doing a 180 from the Dragon Temple grace, jumping down to the stairs, and then doing some other steps I forget. The banished knights on the way from the main grace are really annoying, so having one right next door can greatly streamline things.

yeah the bonfire being right there loving sucks, i got attacked through the mist by those loving mobs

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

verbal enema posted:

If you're on Xbox controller, hold Y and tap R1.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

err posted:

thanks, i have never crafted in this game and the idea of only having enough pots for a few runs or whatever makes it scary

The pots themselves are indestructible, and reform as empty pots when used. The real problem is there is a limited amount of the Lily's that are the base of all sleep recipes. But you'll honestly only use maybe 2 per run, and they can trivialize the fight so much that you really won't need to worry about the limited amount. My bleed build was able to kill them before they even get back up from sleep since the standing up animation is very slow.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i found the undernightground but people there are jerks so ill come back in a bit

popped vigor up to 15 feels good

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

upcoming raft dlc will allow you to reach the island

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
went all in on tryna get that weird bell monster down and immediately died like Don Quixote

Torrent
Apr 18, 2003
" . . . "
I've been kicking butt the past two days. Starting to feel like I'm actually decent at this game, even if much of it is just levels and gear.

Having beaten the Starscourge, I followed the new marker on my map, and slowly made my way down to the Eternal City. Well, its rooftops, in any event. Clambered around, battling slimes and ghouls on my way down to solid-ish ground. There, I found my first boss of the area, and it was... me? Well, that's pretty foolish. If there's one thing that this game has taught me, it is how to kill my own character. So that is what I did, on purpose for once.

Moving on from there, I found the Land of the Living Ghost Vikings. Much like in the more-normal Land of the Ghost Vikings, I had to light a bunch of pillars in order to activate a big deer corpse. The pizza cutter turned out to be a really great weapon for fighting Living Ghost Vikings, as I could generally stunlock them and win without them fighting back. Fighting the giant spirit deer boss, though... that was intense. I still had most of its patterns down from the last one that I fought, and the only new attack that I saw was a goofy rolling thing. But the pizza cutter just was not doing the job. I had it down to about half health when I completely ran out of potions, and in desperation switched to one of my colossal dragon claw, since it swings faster. And, with no healing at all, damned if I didn't take that thing down on the first try.

From there, I did some careful platforming down and down and down, until I arrived in the proper Land of the Ghost Vikings. But, since I'd been there before, I doubled back and found another path that took me to some castle area full of waterfalls. And there I met the twin gargoyles.

gently caress the twin gargoyles.

I bounced off from them for the rest of the night. I managed to kill one once, but never got close enough that I thought I could pull it off. Then the next day, I saw this post:

Heithinn Grasida posted:

+8 is way too low for where you are in the game. You should be over +15 by this point on a main weapon. The game is surprisingly stingy with standard upgrade materials, so it’s a good idea to use a few special weapons that upgrade with somber stones along with one standard weapon that you pump all your stones into.

So I went back to the Hall of Echoes, burned some Golden Runes to fund the furnaces, and upgraded my +9 Great Mace to +15, and my Spirit Jellyfish up to +6. I also visited the Fingers and bought a couple pieces of Radahn's armor. The next attempt against the gargoyles went much better, and a few times after that the bastards finally fell. Thanks, Heithinn!

Up the waterfall I went. And, boy, I joked earlier about how playing Grounded had prepared me for parts of this game, but, wow, did playing Grounded ever prepare me for parts of this game! Fighting giant ants and bees, platforming around on giant tree branches... this was one Grounded-rear end segment. It was also a ton of fun. I was really feeling the power difference with the mace at +15, and the Radahn helm just looks so cool. I eventually made my way up some branches and into the side of some ruins, where the Great Deku Tree had seen better days. There was a boss rush with some summoned spirits, but the new mace was still swinging strong, and I won on my second attempt. My victory earned me a teleporter to... the entrance of Leyndell? gently caress. Not only do I not wanna be there, I've already got a site of grace right here to teleport to.

So, back to Volcano Manor. I followed Esme's advice and advanced their questline, invading and killing two Tarnished, but the third one lives off my current map. While I was there to get the third job, I happened across a concealed passageway, with a whooole lot behind it. Had a bit of trouble up on rooftops, getting poison gas clouds thrown at me, but some caution let me clear the way. I stumbled onto a Magma Wyrm that was a lot tougher than the boss version, and proved too much for me to handle on a few attempts. I never got close to victory, but I didn't need to fight it, so I just bypassed it. Then I came across a Godskin Noble, who just has a really delightful design. He beat me down hard the first couple tries, but then it clicked, and I only needed one healing potion for the final attempt.

I pushed further from there, past some awesome snake-guys with really cool looking fire weapons. I was hoping that they would drop, but no such luck. Even though I can't imagine I have the right stats to use it well, I want one of those amazing three-headed fire whips. Instead, I just kept on going, ultimately making my way to the God-Devouring Serpent. That's where I'm currently sitting, having gotten the second phase down to about 30% on my last attempt. If I kill this guy, will it lock me out of finishing the Volcano Manor quests?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
You should go back to the Leyndell back door teleport site of grace near the boss arena, there’s a chance you missed someone hanging out over there after the fight. Also, great job on the gargoyles, they’re really potentially nasty if you don’t find the NPC summon for them.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Torrent posted:

I pushed further from there, past some awesome snake-guys with really cool looking fire weapons. I was hoping that they would drop, but no such luck. Even though I can't imagine I have the right stats to use it well, I want one of those amazing three-headed fire whips. Instead, I just kept on going, ultimately making my way to the God-Devouring Serpent. That's where I'm currently sitting, having gotten the second phase down to about 30% on my last attempt. If I kill this guy, will it lock me out of finishing the Volcano Manor quests?

Stop fighting the serpent if you want to complete the volcano manor quest line. The whip you like the look of is a quest reward from the manor quest line, but only if you've met patches and became best friends. He's hiding in a cave in limgrave.

Last Celebration posted:

You should go back to the Leyndell back door teleport site of grace near the boss arena, there’s a chance you missed someone hanging out over there after the fight. Also, great job on the gargoyles, they’re really potentially nasty if you don’t find the NPC summon for them.

They might need to get some hugs first.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 28, 2023

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Great Mace looks so cool but I always end up finding something I like a bit more, glad you're enjoying it, greathammers as a class are just super fun but you get sort of addicted to the staggering and poise crushing. It must be what bleed builds feel like to make up for how piddly and meek their little toothpicks are

But yeah that gargoyle fight is a real brutal wall for new players, getting past it is a real accomplishment

Epic High Five fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 28, 2023

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

War Wizard posted:

They might need to get some hugs first.

I figured it was possible, but tbh I wasn’t 100% sure since that boss fight is a bunch of people Fia summons to fight for her so I wasn’t sure if it even procced without doing the D stuff

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
FYI the first time you enter that huge arena, activates Fia's Champions boss fight. This occurs irrespective if you have been progessing Fia's questline.

It's only after you progress, either through Rogier's storyline, or start the first burning of the Erdtree, that Fia herself will relocate to that arena. And when she does so you can progress spawning another boss in that huge arena.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

err posted:

I summoned the Mimic and one other guy (Recusant Bernard?) who had a summon sign out side the door, I assume you have to talk to him accordingly, and from there it was just a matter of going to town on them with my hammer. The physick which makes enemies stagger more helps with heavy melee stuff. Try to focus on the fat one at the start and on the later phase just wail on them so you won't get two at a time again.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

War Wizard posted:

What do you think is the halfway point? Because many of us were wrong about it when we were playing.

I've completed limgrave / weeping / liurnia / caelid and one of the wells. Just set foot in altus

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
congratulations, you've made it out of the early game

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Getting to altus could be halfway if you dicked around a lot in limgrave and liurnia and then ignored all the late game quests. I already did the full volcano manor experience at a comically low level and now im on altus i feel like i want to mostly beeline the storyline but im still tossing up how complete i want this run to be

E: to clarify you should NOT ignore the late game quesrs

Jezza of OZPOS fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 28, 2023

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
All Godskins are weak to slashing damage, and all 'real' Godskins are weak to status effects (as in, all of them apart from the two you fight in the Spiritcaller Cave). A Strength build should have plenty of options against them. Just don't use a big ungabunga club, because they're well-padded against Striking damage, and don't bother with elemental damage, especially fire and holy.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I thought the Demi-Humans were literally Orcs until I fought the chiefs and saw the actual name of the species. They're still functionally Orcs.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Getting to altus could be halfway if you dicked around a lot in limgrave and liurnia and then ignored all the late game quests. I already did the full volcano manor experience at a comically low level and now im on altus i feel like i want to mostly beeline the storyline but im still tossing up how complete i want this run to be

E: to clarify you should NOT ignore the late game quesrs

what exactly are the late game quests? exhausting all dialogue options and see what opens up?

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Most of the main ones are all part of or related to the tarnished at the round table. Theyre all fairly easy to miss and wont really give you much info from just talking them there. They mostly give you variations of the ending sequence but also lots of background and lore. Theres another two endings that are seperate and have their own quests unrelated to the roundtable tarnished. I found one of those very easily without guides and only found the second one after looking at lore videos. You could very easily miss all of them as well as the couple of quests that dont impact the ending if you werent doing a lot of wandering around. Im being obtuse because i think raw dogging the game is a wonderful experience but i can be more specific if you like

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The Dragonlord's music-stopping time-slowing nuke has gotta be the coolest boss attack of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Yeah it's pretty badass. The incantation you get from him whips rear end, too.

Darth Walrus posted:

Just don't use a big ungabunga club, because they're well-padded against Striking damage,

This can be particularly true for the fat apostle, because he's prone to suddenly whipping out quick melee retaliations and you will absolutely get hit by them if you're still committed to a big slow clumsy weapon swing. The skinny boy has some heavily telegraphed moves that leave him open if you pay attention, so duelling him with an ungabunga club is perfectly feasible if you know what you're doing. But the big chungus can and will severely punish you for making yourself vulnerable within his reach.