Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

looking forward to all the libs condemning this clear and open cultural genocide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ukraine can do a little cultural genocide, as a treat

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Can you really consider yourself a western nation if you're not doing some cultural genocide?

It's like one of the requirements to get into the club.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Cerebral Bore posted:

looking forward to all the libs condemning this clear and open cultural genocide

I got the picture part of my avatar for not believing that China is committing a genocide on the Uyghur people in Xinjiang and the text part for not being blindly pro-Ukraine and anti-Russia.

They're going to simultaneously hold these two thoughts forever because it leads to the conclusion China Bad, Russia Bad, West Good.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

What does everyone think about the tanks being sent to Ukraine? Are they going to change anything about the course of the war?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Red and Black posted:

What does everyone think about the tanks being sent to Ukraine? Are they going to change anything about the course of the war?

nah

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
nope

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://mobile.twitter.com/colonelhomsi/status/1619150974572187649

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The tanks will bleed Russia some more but it won't change anything unless NATO countries actually join the fight.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Red and Black posted:

It's about sending a message

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
We must secure the existence of our tanks and a future for Rhein metall

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Red and Black posted:

probably not other than the associated boom in the scrap metal industry

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

i think if i were germany i would not continue to name my tanks after big cats, a tradition started by, well, you know where this is going

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

OctaMurk posted:

We must secure the existence of our tanks and a future for Rhein metall

Probably the opposite honestly. The countries that are sending off their Leopards to die in the mud got them when Germany was flying high and imposing price stability on the rest of Europe. They're in a much weaker position now, so they're going to be outbribed on whatever replaces them.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

gradenko_2000 posted:

jesus christ

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

dudes rock

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

genericnick posted:

Probably the opposite honestly. The countries that are sending off their Leopards to die in the mud got them when Germany was flying high and imposing price stability on the rest of Europe. They're in a much weaker position now, so they're going to be outbribed on whatever replaces them.

The Abrams is not much of an alternative to be honest.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Red and Black posted:

If it were hundreds of tanks, plus the associated supply chain of spare parts, then probably. A few dozen assorted tanks, delivered in dribs and drabs and hard to maintain and repair will make no difference to anything.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

https://twitter.com/Italian347/status/1619346800577761280?s=20&t=Zswj6K1VgXDcvO3JuXQp8w

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

well i guess it's good the mask is coming off so fully now

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Red and Black posted:

it might have permanently broken the possibility of any post war reapproachement between germany and russia, which is one of the main priorities of this war for the us

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Germany should always be capable of another Barbarossa to keep Putin in check.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jel Shaker posted:

it might have permanently broken the possibility of any post war reapproachement between germany and russia, which is one of the main priorities of this war for the us

i mean because of corruption and money one day Russia might normalise relations with the west. But rationally they shouldn't. Not after this. If they had integrity they'd never forgive the EU and make every effort to harass the US in every theater. But money talks and they'll happily patch things up with the genocidal nazis next door.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i dunno, i think the west going full mask off turboracist and screaming about how the russians are all vile untermenschen who must be destroyed is the bigger stumbling block here

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

He's right.

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(
Even if the civilized aryans euros don't end up normalizing relationships with Russia within a few years of this war being over, Putin won't stay in power forever as he is getting there in years so the second another guy ends up on the throne I wouldn't be surprised if opinion makers start pushing for going back to normal with his successor (who will be just as corrupt and right wing) anyway.

So you know tens of thousands of people dead, hundreds of thousands more crippled, traumatized, homeless or displaced but at least the gears of capitalism will be well oiled again.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Nobody is going to normalize anything with Russia until they are under our control. The world can’t afford to be multipolar again.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It depends a lot on how the war ends. If Russia at any point decides to stop the invasion, withdraw from Ukrainian territory and negotiate a peace deal relations would probably be restored very quickly other than some token sanctions. If Russia 'wins' the war by grinding through Ukraine's entire population and annexes/occupies the country then it's hard to see any path to reconciliation.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It depends a lot on how the war ends. If Russia at any point decides to stop the invasion, withdraw from Ukrainian territory and negotiate a peace deal relations would probably be restored very quickly other than some token sanctions. If Russia 'wins' the war by grinding through Ukraine's entire population and annexes/occupies the country then it's hard to see any path to reconciliation.

lol

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Nothing short of a return to the crippled Russia of the 90s is going to be acceptable to the westoid establishment and their baying liberal hordes

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

russia isn’t going to stop at the ukrainian borders though, paris or bust

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Hahahaha

That's a good one.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

its a special orperation OP

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

this situation is so simple, give half of ukraine to russia, and the other half to poland

the ikea country with the red flag can go to germany

the ikea country with the white flag can to albania

the ikea country with the blue flag can go to america

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

AnimeIsTrash posted:

this situation is so simple, give half of ukraine to russia, and the other half to poland

the ikea country with the red flag can go to germany

the ikea country with the white flag can to albania

the ikea country with the blue flag can go to america

Carving up the global strategic reserve of seasonal depression like a christmas turkey

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Carving up the global strategic reserve of seasonal depression like a christmas turkey

Is it seasonal depression when it's miserable all year round, though?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Pistol_Pete posted:

If it were hundreds of tanks, plus the associated supply chain of spare parts, then probably. A few dozen assorted tanks, delivered in dribs and drabs and hard to maintain and repair will make no difference to anything.

Even then, I think there would be a very high burn rate on those tanks, and it may eventually just reset when they are destroyed. The issue is really that the Ukrainians only really have been able to take serious territory so far when the Russians voluntarily withdraw en masse, but it usually doesn't go as well when they are on the actively fighting on the defensive. The issue is if you just have an armor force without artillery or air support, it is just going to be vulnerable, especially on the offensive.

It is why the Ukrainians are asking for f-16s, and a much of other equipment because tanks alone (and other random AFVs) are not enough to shift the conflict. They need a force that can directly fight the Russians toe to toe.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Danann posted:

https://twitter.com/Taurevanime/status/1619133800298213377

must be hell of a time trying to fit the giant ammo belt through the crew hatches

The designers likely assumed most of them would be lost before reloading was a concern

Jazerus posted:

i think if i were germany i would not continue to name my tanks after big cats, a tradition started by, well, you know where this is going

Good news, the leopard's replacement is the panther, a name with no history whatsoever

Ardennes posted:

It is why the Ukrainians are asking for f-16s, and a much of other equipment because tanks alone (and other random AFVs) are not enough to shift the conflict. They need a force that can directly fight the Russians toe to toe.

Yep. Something they have never gotten and never will get because actually winning must never be put within their reach.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Director of Auschwitz today during the liberation memorial compared what Russia is doing in Ukraine to what the Nazis did 80 years ago, while standing in front of a wall of pictures of people murderered in the Holocaust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol isn't it illegal in Poland to talk about collaboration and/or Polish Perpetrators?