Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Seems like a them problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Nilbop posted:

https://twitter.com/NextIrishGE/status/1619095074331041792?s=20&t=DBO3mDEzgb0eQ-kUwC5MEg

I am struggling really hard not to say something inflammatory here, so instead I’ll just say this is a catastrophic failure of Unionist leadership.

"Do you want a pointless conflict to continue that could result in you dying? Y/N?"

Unionist: Well, I'm sure it won't be me dying. Probably some young thug. I'm voting No.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

That said it would be nice if they stopped spiking home rule because they're a bunch of petty little shitstains.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Z the IVth posted:

People are given the freedom to do stupid poo poo all the time and it's very easy when budgets are stretched to just write people off "because free will innit". Sad that our surveillance state is so able to infiltrate environmental protest groups but can't spare a few cameras and staff to provide overwatch on the mentally ill.
Yeah I think it's more than fair to say that the state hosed up because :effort: and could have done a lot more. It's difficult when people don't want to engage though, and anything that gets too close to allowing families to weaponize the surveillance state against their estranged children could go very badly too. There needs to be a system of respecting people's distance while also not just going "we were just respecting people's distance" when they gently caress up.

happyhippy posted:

outbred by catholics
Presbyterian Trampled by Turtles cover band

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

forkboy84 posted:

Between that and wrestling I'm starting to worry you are me.

How far into all the comics are you? I'm in the frankly exhausting morass of the mid-90s.

Impossible, I could never be as dogmatically devoted to puro as you ;)

I started March last year all the way back in the 1930s (I'm probably one of the few people in the world who's read every single Patsy Walker story). I'm now up to 1968, just reaching the end of Jim Steranko's time at Marvel and crying my eyes out

Rarity fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 28, 2023

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Tesseraction posted:

What is their problem with the GFA at this point? That the republicans are eating their lunch?

Imagine a culture built specifically on otherism. Now imagine that they have been forced to treat the other as an equal after spending 50 years persecuting that other, persecution which led into civil war. Now imagine that other now outnumbers you. This is where Loyalism finds itself.

In addition to that, you've also got the gang aspect. It's an open secret that the Loyalist paramilitaries like the UVF never disbanded and disarmed as the IRA did, and simply transitioned into drugrunning in Loyalist areas. It's also an open secret that they maintain close relationships with the Loyalist hard right such as the DUP. The NI Protocol has had a negative impact on their ability to move their supply, and they've been leaning on Loyalist politicians to be more populist (!) and shift further to the right to oppose the Protocol, the GFA and presumably anything else giving the dirty Fenians a seat at the table.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

this is exactly the kind of thing they talk about when they say anonymous ne'erdowells are inciting violence against them on the internet

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Nilbop posted:

https://twitter.com/NextIrishGE/status/1619095074331041792?s=20&t=DBO3mDEzgb0eQ-kUwC5MEg

I am struggling really hard not to say something inflammatory here, so instead I’ll just say this is a catastrophic failure of Unionist leadership.

Can't think of anyone in this thread would get upset about any slagging off of these fossilsed bigots tbh.
Vent away imo - it's even said to be good for your mental heath :D
Better out than in.

catch up:

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'm being mean, but all I can think of now is this:

*snip out video*

Archaeology chat was very interesting though!
That's hilarious, and actually not too far off some of the mental stuff that gets sold these days tbh.
I blame hipsters personally.
One of my brothers and I were moaning about the current trend for vinyl being all
"Limited Edition *insert weird colour combination here* vinyl!! Only 500 pressed in this combination, see the other 7 colour combos for more!"
at stupid prices. Just give us decent quality black vinyl at a decent price dammit.

Thanks! I'll no doubt keep spamming archaeo chat...

Failed Imagineer posted:

You've got it all backwards, the news and politics are just unwelcome derails from the main thread topic - Sex Arse production quotas and logistics
Don't get me wrong, I fully appreciate the weird culture and in jokes that exist in this nicely odd online pub/meeting room. You guys crack me up tremendously.
But the thread's excellent curation of Important Things To Know about our ruling class. etc. is a very good resource to have.

Guavanaut posted:

The Chinese Room problem sounds like a HP Lovecraft horror Sherlock Holmes story where he visits a room and there are Chinese people, but no opium.
Fixt.
HPL's story would be "The unspeakable Chamber of Tchingg Cthung Khang"

Laura Winham
(I'm going to make a point of using her name when ever this story crops up, in 'real' life and online. She was not a statistic or story she was a human being who was failed horribly by her community.
I'll probably add her to the list of my dead that I try and invoke whenever I am having a really good time - a magical thinking exercise of inviting them in to share the pleasure. It's all Jaz Coleman's fault.)

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Atrocious stuff from the authorities but loving hell at her loving family having not been bothered about it for all that time either.
Lots of really good answers already.
I am very grateful that my parents weren't forced to deal with me at my maddest - my dad could probably cope but my mother would have been broken by it all.
There may have been a lack of care shown by them, but having your child accuse you of wanting to kill them must be brutal. Also, the traditional British way of dealing with strong emotion by shoving it out of sight and nailing a firm lid over it, may well be another contributory factor to their poor response.

Right, back off to help my brother fix his car. See ya.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

happyhippy posted:

They are just now in the minority.
2021 census shows they are being outbred by catholics, and the GFA stops them from doing their usual thing before of gerrymandering and burning a few streets out of their homes to maintain majority vote.

Ah the good old days, 1921-98, silly siege mentality for the win. :ughh:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would have assumed the number of self identifying Unionists would have dwindled over the years and that they are also more mental generally in the manner that a lot of political movements have becomes steadily more mental over the years.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Rarity posted:

Impossible, I could never be as dogmatically devoted to puro as you ;)

I started March last year all the way back in the 1930s (I'm probably one of the few people in the world who's read every single Patsy Walker story). I'm now up to 1968, just reaching the end of Jim Steranko's time at Marvel and crying my eyes out

Nor I an AEW fangirl :agesilaus: Now have I preached the Good News about our Lord & Saviour Kento Miyahara...

Ah, I'm a part-timer, I started with Fantastic Four #1 in '61. I tried some of the early stuff & it just...not really my thing. I read some of the very early Captain America stuff which was fine, but then there was less fun stuff poo poo like The Angel.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

OwlFancier posted:

I would have assumed the number of self identifying Unionists would have dwindled over the years and that they are also more mental generally in the manner that a lot of political movements have becomes steadily more mental over the years.

I, on the other hand, have only become saner and more emotionally stable

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

forkboy84 posted:

I tried some of the early stuff & it just...not really my thing

I assure you, I did not read countless Terry-Toons Funny Animal stories because it was my thing

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

I assure you, I did not read countless Terry-Toons Funny Animal stories because it was my thing

Ahhh, masochism then, fair play.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Mega Comrade posted:

As I've said in other threads, chatGPT is very good at appearing intelligent. It can string very convincing sentences together, but it doesn't actually understand anything it spits out.

If you just replaced 'ChatGPT' with 'Government' or 'MP NAME HERE' you'd have me convinced.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

forkboy84 posted:

Ahhh, masochism then, fair play.

Just think of it like sitting through Pheromones to enjoy a DDT show

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

Just think of it like sitting through Pheromones to enjoy a DDT show

I long since learned it's OK to fast forward Dieno matches, being a quitter is smart

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Atrocious stuff from the authorities but loving hell at her loving family having not been bothered about it for all that time either.
sounds like they were bothered, they just made the mistake of assuming the authorities would be competent and wouldn't leave a vulnerable person to die alone

quote:

The family of a woman who lay dead in a flat for more than three years have told how they were unable to have any contact because of privacy laws, and how they eventually found her body. Laura Winham, 38, had schizophrenia and had refused contact with family who she believed were trying to harm her. Her brother Roy said the family were unable to get information about her. After repeated attempts to contact her, they found her when they peered through the letter box of her Woking flat.

Her siblings said she grew up in a loving family and attended school and university, but developed mental health problems and did not return home after the first time she was sectioned. The family took a decision to limit contact because it put her under "enormous stress", but believed she would have a care plan. However, they could not get any information.

"She refused contact from the mental health team with her family, which she was allowed to do, which prevented doctors from speaking to us, or hospitals," her sister Nicky said.

They continued sending letters, text messages and cards. When their father became ill, they stepped up attempts to make contact. After he died, they continued to call at her flat. On their last visit, they were about to leave when Roy decided to take another look.

"When I peered through the letter box, it looked like blankets were there, but as I looked down I thought I saw a foot," he said. "There was a top, that hoodie she had on, that I thought was in with the blankets and things. That's when I managed to get a little bit more of an angle, really pushing the brushes aside, and you could see the face, the body, which, after calling the ambulance, they said 'do you think she's still alive?'."

He said: "Something made me go back up the stairs that day, but unfortunately it's left me with something that haunted me for a long time."

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Sometimes it'll be a week or two between seeing certain patients at work and I always get a worried little niggle in the back of my mind.

On a brighter note I've returned to those little model kits. This one's in a little tiny tin :3:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

This man was spotted stealing toys off a child’s pram in North London earlier today and claiming “it was the neccessary and right thing to do”. If anyone has any information please contact Crimestoppers

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/SeemaMalhotra1/status/1619320248041357314?s=19

Pedo Handles-sons spotted next to Keir.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Gosh I wonder what could have driven those kids into the hands of criminals.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/jan/28/child-migrants-racially-abused-home-office-hotel-brighton-criminals

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I especially like the lighting behind the cherry blossoms. Reminds me that Blossom Watch Day is one of the few actual good things to come out of the pandemic years in the UK.

smellmycheese posted:

If anyone has any information please contact Crimestoppers
If you know of any other crimes against young children, please contact the London Metropolitan Police and ask for any officer other than the following...

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
lool at those labour policy announcements

who are those for? like who do they think is going to be won over by them

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
57 year old dads in Northampton who drive an Audi and enjoy focus groups. They're the most important votes once the polls are unskewed.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

crispix posted:

lool at those labour policy announcements

who are those for? like who do they think is going to be won over by them

Nobody. But they're not trying to win anyone over. Like running away from a bear. You just need to not be the slowest.

The tories are currently lying in the middle of the floor covered in raw meat having just punched the bears cub.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Tbe Guardian is getting crazily terfy:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/jan/28/forget-andrew-tate-what-about-the-host-of-misogynists-in-labours-ranks

Forget Andrew Tate – what about the host of misogynists in Labour’s ranks? posted:

...But what happens when an impressive woman – and Duffield is not the only offender here, the SNP struggles with Joanna Cherry KC – just won’t stop talking about sex-based rights? Even after they have been energetically discouraged by online threats and insults – some originating from colleagues – and by the sort of violence-inciting banners that have become so familiar at demonstrations that some SNP MPs easily missed one reading “Decapitate Terfs” (trans-exclusionary radical feminists, now a catch-all term for recalcitrant women*).

If Labour’s responses to its woman problem (as Duffield rightly calls it) can never compete with Tate’s videos, its progressive approach to misogyny is arguably more instructive for men who would like to shut women up but cannot afford a Romania-based chick compound...

If you support trans rights, you're literally allying yourself with Andrew Tate and his fellow travellers.

*citation needed

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Joanna Cherry KC, defender of sex-based rights against the misogynist Nicola Sturgeon.

I wonder how long it will take for the Guardian to eventually file terfs alongside the white supremacist WCTU as gatekeeping the boundaries of women more than advancing anything? 20 years? 50?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/paulbranditv/status/1619351757435604992?s=46&t=6taVn1Wx14fj937FtjV74w

Dang, RIP.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

smellmycheese posted:

So if I’m reading the runes correctly then there is another huge story about a tax dodging Tory about to break, possibly Sunak himself.

https://twitter.com/carolvorders/status/1619476037989191681

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Given Carol V is from my hometown it's good to see her making GBS threads on the right people.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

Given Carol V is from my hometown it's good to see her making GBS threads on the right people.

Apparently one of the morning 'news' programmes cut her off yesterday by saying they would continue with her 'after the break' but didn't. Sorry I don't have a link to that now, saw it in passing on either twitter or reddit. (She was criticizing the sleaze - she's definitely on the Mone case).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
yeah a lot of these ex celebs are resorting to onlyfans kink stuff

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

NotJustANumber99 posted:

yeah a lot of these ex celebs are resorting to onlyfans kink stuff

get your mind out of the gutter

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
so is all this stuff being put out about people's tax affairs another leadership ploy by someone

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

:smith: that's terrible

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

crispix posted:

so is all this stuff being put out about people's tax affairs another leadership ploy by someone

Guess who's coming back

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Falcorum posted:

Guess who's coming back

Weird hair
Large hands
Yep, it's Donald Trump time orange man bad

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Tesseraction posted:

get your mind out of the gutter

Alternatively, stay in the gutter, but get better material.

"We are all of us in the gutter, But some of us are looking at the stars"
as Chrissie Hynde paraphrased Oscar Wilde.

In continuing apocalypse news:
The Bulletin of Atomic Scientists have just reset the Doomsday Clock to 90 seconds to Midnight.

Might be time to start thinking like Jim Morrison and work on getting your kicks in before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

EmptyVessel posted:

In continuing apocalypse news:
The Bulletin of Atomic Scientists have just reset the Doomsday Clock to 90 seconds to Midnight.

Might be time to start thinking like Jim Morrison and work on getting your kicks in before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

"in flagrante delicto"