Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

well I googled the quests and goddamn are they hard to miss

I completed them by guide up to my progress level and hope to be able to continue them blind

I did miss out on the arsenal talisman apparently, not sure if I can stil get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mikojan posted:

well I googled the quests and goddamn are they hard to miss

I completed them by guide up to my progress level and hope to be able to continue them blind

I did miss out on the arsenal talisman apparently, not sure if I can stil get it

There's superior versions of it that can't be permanently missed

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
burial watchdog is back and he brought a gang of punks with >:c

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
You call it a watchdog despite the fact it is clearly a cat.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
its an rear end in a top hat

repugnant
Jun 29, 2005

You can only think of me.

verbal enema posted:

its an rear end in a top hat

Yeah, a cat.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

They're good practice for reacting to attacks and hitting punish windows. The one with friends though can go jump off a cliff.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
is bladd supposed to be on top of the mistwood ruins

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...
He's a good boy and can sit where he wants, (go talk to Kale).

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
this lordsworn's greatsword is awesome

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

verbal enema posted:

this lordsworn's greatsword is awesome

it's easily one of the best early game weapons due to a combination of solid all-around stats and the inexplicable crit boost it gets, so if you're focusing on staggering bosses then you get mad returns outta it

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

after the sad joke of "miracle builds" in dark souls 3, playing a faith character in elden ring has been a joy.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I’m currently fighting a boss called Astel, Naturalborn of the Void. It’s a very weird boss and I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around both how to hit it and how to avoid getting hit by it.

Hitting it: the vast majority of the boss floats above my head. The only parts that are consistently on the ground are its skinny little limbs. If I aim for the limbs, I hit most of the time (but they’re so spindly I do still whiff sometimes) but that makes it almost impossible to read when an attack is incoming bacause I have to turn my cameraa away from the main body. The other obvious target is the head. If I aim for the head, I can read attacks a lot better, but the head is a fair ways off the ground so the only way I can consistently hit it is by jump attacking, which obviously is not the best for getting damage off and building up bleed.

Getting hit: so basically the big problem here is that a lot of its attacks have this… I don’t know exactly what you’d call it, but basically it leaves behind glowing purple circles that do damage over and over again. The attack I have the most problems with is the one where it slams the ground and then a bunch of shockwaves come out for a couple seconds, each shockwave bigger than the last. If I roll through the attack then there’s no way I can get out of shockwave range. Another one I have trouble with is the one where it makes a big glowing field, and a few seconds later, if I’m in the field I get hovered up in the air and slammed down. If I’m in melee range when this attack starts I can’t seem to get out, though if I sprint as fast as I can toward the edge I do seem to be able to reach a point where it just does a bunch of damage and knocks me away rather than doing the whole animation.

I would appreciate any advice for this boss. I would also like some input regarding my build. Is this a good stat spread?

code:
Level: 74

V: 30
M: 11
E: 25
S: 15
D: 28
I: 9
F: 12
A: 28

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Have you tried a bow? Or throwing rocks at it? Deathroot can be traded in for throwing rocks.

Your stats would allow you decent bow usage, mixed with a stack of bleed arrows, poison arrows and barrage you can do decent damage at a distance. There are arrow based talismans in the gate tower in limgrave (near where the troll jumps down from) and the siege tower before the impassable great bridge in Calid.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 29, 2023

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
What exactly does one need to do to trigger the Seluvis dialogue where he sells you the Dung Eater puppet? I've administered the poison, I've visited Seluvis's creepy dungeon, and I've bought one of the free puppets off of him, but now he just wants to sell me sorcery and doesn't have any other talking options. I haven't advanced any of Ranni's quest any further than needed to be able to talk to Seluvis. What gives?

EDIT: And complaining on the internet again solves the problem. I equipped his free puppet and summoned it once in a fight, and upon going back, he has the option for me to buy another. Dung eater here we come!

McCoy Pauley fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 29, 2023

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

McCoy Pauley posted:

What exactly does one need to do to trigger the Seluvis dialogue where he sells you the Dung Eater puppet? I've administered the poison, I've visited Seluvis's creepy dungeon, and I've bought one of the free puppets off of him, but now he just wants to sell me sorcery and doesn't have any other talking options. I haven't advanced any of Ranni's quest any further than needed to be able to talk to Seluvis. What gives?

You have to pick up an extra starlight shard. Drop any you're carrying and pick them back up.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

War Wizard posted:

You have to pick up an extra starlight shard. Drop any you're carrying and pick them back up.

Thanks. Need to find another 3 -- I forgot Dung Eater costs 5.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Ariong posted:

I’m currently fighting a boss called Astel, Naturalborn of the Void.

If you get behind his head you can jump attack the body pretty easily and dodge things by going behind him. I beat him around RL90 and did everything with the mimic tear.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

War Wizard posted:

Have you tried a bow? Or throwing rocks at it? Deathroot can be traded in for throwing rocks.

Your stats would allow you decent bow usage, mixed with a stack of bleed arrows, poison arrows and barrage you can do decent damage at a distance. There are arrow based talismans in the gate tower in limgrave (near where the troll jumps down from) and the siege tower before the impassable great bridge in Calid.

Hmm, I do use a bow quite a bit but never tbought of using one for a boss fight. Cool idea! I’ll try it. One thing though, where can I find the recipe for poison arrows? I’ve wanted to use them for so long but I haven’t found the recipe, even though I found the recipe for scarlet rot arrows like a million years ago.

Video Nasty posted:

If you get behind his head you can jump attack the body pretty easily and dodge things by going behind him. I beat him around RL90 and did everything with the mimic tear.

Thanks for the tip. It’s been a while since I fought Mimic Tear, did it drop an item or something I can use?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Ariong posted:

I’m currently fighting a boss called Astel, Naturalborn of the Void. It’s a very weird boss and I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around both how to hit it and how to avoid getting hit by it.

Hitting it: the vast majority of the boss floats above my head. The only parts that are consistently on the ground are its skinny little limbs. If I aim for the limbs, I hit most of the time (but they’re so spindly I do still whiff sometimes) but that makes it almost impossible to read when an attack is incoming bacause I have to turn my cameraa away from the main body. The other obvious target is the head. If I aim for the head, I can read attacks a lot better, but the head is a fair ways off the ground so the only way I can consistently hit it is by jump attacking, which obviously is not the best for getting damage off and building up bleed.

Getting hit: so basically the big problem here is that a lot of its attacks have this… I don’t know exactly what you’d call it, but basically it leaves behind glowing purple circles that do damage over and over again. The attack I have the most problems with is the one where it slams the ground and then a bunch of shockwaves come out for a couple seconds, each shockwave bigger than the last. If I roll through the attack then there’s no way I can get out of shockwave range. Another one I have trouble with is the one where it makes a big glowing field, and a few seconds later, if I’m in the field I get hovered up in the air and slammed down. If I’m in melee range when this attack starts I can’t seem to get out, though if I sprint as fast as I can toward the edge I do seem to be able to reach a point where it just does a bunch of damage and knocks me away rather than doing the whole animation.

I would appreciate any advice for this boss. I would also like some input regarding my build. Is this a good stat spread?

code:
Level: 74

V: 30
M: 11
E: 25
S: 15
D: 28
I: 9
F: 12
A: 28

More vigor, less damage stats. Astel can be a kind of awkward boss to fight melee, as you note he has some attacks that are hard to avoid and so you better be able to take a hit. In general, the game is much easier if you meet your weapon requirements and then level vigor above all else, only focusing on your damage stat once you’ve got enough health to survive (and ideally some upgrades in your weapon—this is usually a more important source of damage than your stats until late game). This is especially important with builds that use two damage stats because levels will be spread thinner all around. You get this awkward midgame stretch where the character is just mid at everything.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Latennas good there since the boss will generally focus on you. Plop her down near the wall and she'll turret away the whole time.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Man the Golden Halberd is so goddamn strong. We started up a new seamless run and I'm going paladin and we did Tree Sentinel around level 20 and I'm crunching dudes.

Ariong posted:

You can roll all the AOE explosions and you can roll the gravity attack right when it triggers to throw you up. You can get jumping heavy attacks on his head by being behind it with some regularity. I one-shot him around your level first time around but he was extremely hard with four people scaling it with the seamless mod in my second playthrough so I had to learn how to dodge every move.

And as skasion said you really want to rush Vigor apart from getting the minimum in stats to use weapons you want to use.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 29, 2023

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Ariong posted:

One thing though, where can I find the recipe for poison arrows?

The merchant in North limgrave has the recipe book. He's near the bridge. You can also buy serpent arrows from the merchant near the abandoned shack in Calid.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I can't believe Carbot is calling out my roll etiquette vs an attack with any sort of delay. Also surprisingly prescient for this thread. :3:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Whoops, I forgot to take off my dexterity talisman before I posted that. My dexterity is actually 5 pointslower, naturally.

skasion posted:

More vigor, less damage stats. Astel can be a kind of awkward boss to fight melee, as you note he has some attacks that are hard to avoid and so you better be able to take a hit. In general, the game is much easier if you meet your weapon requirements and then level vigor above all else, only focusing on your damage stat once you’ve got enough health to survive (and ideally some upgrades in your weapon—this is usually a more important source of damage than your stats until late game). This is especially important with builds that use two damage stats because levels will be spread thinner all around. You get this awkward midgame stretch where the character is just mid at everything.

I’m interested in doing a bleed build, and my current weapon is a Blood Hookclaws. However, I sometimes switch to the Dragonscale Blade, which has a dex req of 20. I can certainly lower my dexterity to 20, but what should my Arcane be?

War Wizard posted:

The merchant in North limgrave has the recipe book. He's near the bridge. You can also buy serpent arrows from the merchant near the abandoned shack in Calid.

Thank you! Say, on the subject of arrows, are there fire arrows?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006

Ariong posted:

Say, on the subject of arrows, are there fire arrows?

Yes. Only to be found or bought, not craftable so far as I'm aware.

You can buy them from the nomadic merchant in Caelid who sits sort of south-southeast of Aeonia Swamp.

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

Ariong posted:

I’m interested in doing a bleed build, and my current weapon is a Blood Hookclaws. However, I sometimes switch to the Dragonscale Blade, which has a dex req of 20. I can certainly lower my dexterity to 20, but what should my Arcane be?

It's worth noting that, due to the mechanics of affinities, you actually get very little extra bleed from applying the blood affinity to a weapon with innate bleed. If you're going full bleed then occult will get you better mileage, since it will scale the bleed with your arcane without replacing the innate bleed, as well as gaining more base damage.

You could also go Keen Hookclaws with full dex and still get reasonable amounts of bleed. Especially if you add on some kind of bleed weapon buff, which will stack with the innate bleed.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Arcvasti posted:

It's worth noting that, due to the mechanics of affinities, you actually get very little extra bleed from applying the blood affinity to a weapon with innate bleed. If you're going full bleed then occult will get you better mileage, since it will scale the bleed with your arcane without replacing the innate bleed, as well as gaining more base damage.

You could also go Keen Hookclaws with full dex and still get reasonable amounts of bleed. Especially if you add on some kind of bleed weapon buff, which will stack with the innate bleed.

Ah, very interesting!

EDIT: Hmm, looks like changing my Hookclaws from Bleed to Occult would bring the blood loss buildup from 80 to 54. How high does my Arcane have to be before Occult becomes better?

EDIT 2: Wait, the natural bleed amount on Hookclaws is 54. So giving in the Occult affinity is actually lowering the amount of bleed?

Ariong fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jan 29, 2023

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

If you're doing bleed with hookclaws then you don't want occult. You want keen so you can cast bloodflame blade on them.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Ariong posted:

Thank you! Say, on the subject of arrows, are there fire arrows?

You can buy "fire arrows" but you can craft firebone arrows. The merchant near the start of the game down by Coastal Cave sells the recipe book iirc

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Darth Walrus posted:

All Godskins are weak to slashing damage, and all 'real' Godskins are weak to status effects (as in, all of them apart from the two you fight in the Spiritcaller Cave). A Strength build should have plenty of options against them. Just don't use a big ungabunga club, because they're well-padded against Striking damage, and don't bother with elemental damage, especially fire and holy.

Yeah I'm using the Brick Hammer right now, I'm not sure what other weapon I could try to take advantage of the bonus damage. One of the curved greatswords maybe. And yea, it felt like I wasn't doing any damage to him.

I went back and got two sacred tears I missed so hopefully that will help too and have 7 sleep pots.

If all else fails I can post on the reddit to summon someone to help.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

maybe a dumb question but:

can summoned characters like alexander and blaidd die permamently in the radahn fight, messing up their questline?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

No.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

Mikojan posted:

maybe a dumb question but:

can summoned characters like alexander and blaidd die permamently in the radahn fight, messing up their questline?

No. Phantom summons are meant to die. In fact, for Radahn, many can be summoned again once defeated.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

So I was completely new to soul type games and the combat took a while to click. But I have reached a point where I'm getting decent at it and bosses start to flop over so fast I'm no longer using ashes to make the fight more memorable.

I sort of regret using all those summons for the Radahn fight because I got him in 1 go at lvl 60. At some point he wil be busy fighting a summon and I go in with my claws and take like half his HP bar. Once the fight was over I felt a bit dissapointed. The whole setup and atmosphere was top notch, but it was over so fast. It reminds me of my sex life too much.

Think I'll stop using ashes at all unless I'm really stuck and maybe pick up a new weapon.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

err posted:

Yeah I'm using the Brick Hammer right now, I'm not sure what other weapon I could try to take advantage of the bonus damage. One of the curved greatswords maybe. And yea, it felt like I wasn't doing any damage to him.

I went back and got two sacred tears I missed so hopefully that will help too and have 7 sleep pots.

A Colossal Greatsword or a really big axe should do you. It'd certainly do better than a hammer against a Godskin.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

The Dragonlord's music-stopping time-slowing nuke has gotta be the coolest boss attack of all time.

I was raging at that boss last night. His holy laser breath and all the phase 2 flying/teleporting away poo poo really got to me. I never remember having this kind of trouble on my first playthrough, guessing pre-nerf mimic was the difference.

Did own the malformed dragon sentinel outside maliketh's room, stacking lightening res + carian retaliation on its fireballs did the trick nicely

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Willfrey posted:

I was raging at that boss last night. His holy laser breath and all the phase 2 flying/teleporting away poo poo really got to me. I never remember having this kind of trouble on my first playthrough, guessing pre-nerf mimic was the difference.

The ground teleport spam is annoying but the flying stuff was great. Love the King Ghidorah beams too it'd be my favorite move if he didn't have the time-stopping nuke.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
ah drat why did I never think of carian retaliating the fireballs...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

err posted:

How about two curved greatswords, one in each hand? Slap some bleed on them and you got yourself a godskin stew going.