Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think store bought stuff is freeze dried not dehydrated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would say if you’re going to dehydrate herbs you should do it fan only, no heat. A lot of volatile compounds in the herbs that may be driven off using heat.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Has coconut cream powder gotten hard to get generally, or is this just local to Ireland?

I used to be able to get it in pretty much any asian food store, but it is completely unavailable now. It was usually a thai brand, and it came in a plastic/foil-lined bag. All I can get now is either cans or cartons of cream/milk and bricks of cream. The bricks are ok, but they are much less handy to use, compared to the powdered cream :(

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Pookah posted:

Has coconut cream powder gotten hard to get generally, or is this just local to Ireland?

I used to be able to get it in pretty much any asian food store, but it is completely unavailable now. It was usually a thai brand, and it came in a plastic/foil-lined bag. All I can get now is either cans or cartons of cream/milk and bricks of cream. The bricks are ok, but they are much less handy to use, compared to the powdered cream :(

I’ve never heard of that! There is an Asian grocer round the corner from me. I’d they’ve got it I’ll ship it to you.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

therattle posted:

I’ve never heard of that! There is an Asian grocer round the corner from me. I’d they’ve got it I’ll ship it to you.

That is extremely kind of you :), but I think I might have found a source fairly locally!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I would class basil with tarragon and chervil as herbs you just shouldn't bother drying at home, because they lose too much flavor. (Note that they're all somewhat liquorice-flavored; IDK if that's the common element.) Rosemary, mint, verbena absolutely. For the three I mentioned? Swallow hard, buy Penzeys, and never look back. Then blend your fresh basil with olive oil and freeze in an ice-cube tray.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Pookah posted:

sounds cool. what do you use it for?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

eke out posted:

sounds cool. what do you use it for?

Mostly for when I want to make a small amount of something like satay dipping sauce. It's a lot handier than opening a can of coconut milk and having to work out what to do with the leftovers.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Before WFH, I had it at my desk for oatmeal breakfast every day. Shelf stable and whatever amount you want!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I actually wonder if this is a good solution for instant pot curry where you end up with a bit too much liquid. Maybe replacing the coconut milk with coconut cream powder gives the same effect but you avoid that very thin base?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

VelociBacon posted:

I actually wonder if this is a good solution for instant pot curry where you end up with a bit too much liquid. Maybe replacing the coconut milk with coconut cream powder gives the same effect but you avoid that very thin base?

I've never used an instant pot, but yeah, I'd say this would work. If it ends up too thick, you can always add water.

Just in case anyone wants to know : When I make satay dipping sauce, it's basically Jimi's satay, peanut butter, kejap manis, brown sugar, lime juice or cider vinegar*, coconut cream powder (or grated brick), chili paste or cayenne pepper, and sesame oil, plus enough water to make the right consistency.

*I heard this from a Thai-American person who said her Thai born and raised mum found cider vinegar was a perfectly good replacement for lime juice in a satay sauce. I used it a bunch of times and it's absolutely fine.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

mystes
May 31, 2006

That is excellent trolling

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

It's exactly like when they lit their Nikes on fire after Kaep got a contract, and it tastes the same too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I forget, is it guava or papaya that smells like diapers, or both

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Steve Yun posted:

I forget, is it guava or papaya that smells like diapers, or both

Neither? Maybe you're thinking of durian.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Durian smells like gym socks

I’m thinking of a baby powder mixer with poop smell. It’s either guava or papaya, I’ve never been more certain of anything

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Papaya smells like vomit, is that what you're thinking of?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
It’s pineapple guava aka feijoa

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah it’s papaya

I just looked at a photo of the insides of one and had a flashback

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Our garden is producing the stereotypical huge quantities of zucchinis at the moment (I'm in Australia, it's mid-summer). One of them is a monster that grew to more than 2.5kg while we were away for a few days. Even recipes for "giant zucchini" only go up to about half that size.

I'm trying to come up with a way to cook this monster. My worry is that large chunks of probably very bland zucchini mush are not going to be appetizing.

I will probably stuff it and bake it. I am already planning to make zucchini parmigiana with one or two of the smaller (500-800g) zuccs, so the abundance of tomato sauce with cheese options I have found are not particularly exciting.

My thoughts are to pull out some moisture with salt prior to roasting it, either as lengthwise halves (it is about 30cm long and would just fit on our largest baking tray) or as cross-section rings maybe 2-3cm thick. Then stuff with something with enough flavour to cover for the bland flesh; I need a flavour bomb and I'm leaning Mexican but I am open to suggestions.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Is there a best way to roast zucchini slices without them being soggy

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021

ExecuDork posted:

Our garden is producing the stereotypical huge quantities of zucchinis at the moment (I'm in Australia, it's mid-summer). One of them is a monster that grew to more than 2.5kg while we were away for a few days. Even recipes for "giant zucchini" only go up to about half that size.

I'm trying to come up with a way to cook this monster. My worry is that large chunks of probably very bland zucchini mush are not going to be appetizing.

I will probably stuff it and bake it. I am already planning to make zucchini parmigiana with one or two of the smaller (500-800g) zuccs, so the abundance of tomato sauce with cheese options I have found are not particularly exciting.

My thoughts are to pull out some moisture with salt prior to roasting it, either as lengthwise halves (it is about 30cm long and would just fit on our largest baking tray) or as cross-section rings maybe 2-3cm thick. Then stuff with something with enough flavour to cover for the bland flesh; I need a flavour bomb and I'm leaning Mexican but I am open to suggestions.

If you're okay grating it this recipe is stellar.

Stuffed zucchini is really hard to get right. If you're set on stuffing it, after you pull out the seeds, salt it and put it cut side down on a cooling rack for an hour or so, then either sear it in a hot pan, grill or broil it, then stuff w/ roasted jalapeno, feta, panko, cilantro, and tomato concasse. If you're planning on having it as a main, add canned black beans, chopped up inari, or whatever protein sounds good.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I am hugely envious, my family love courgettes

As well as roasting them and putting them in tomato sauce you could try some of our favourite ways to prep them

Cut them into thin ribbons and stir fry with garlic and chilli

Dice into tiny cubes and make delicious salsa

Cut into lengths, toss with garlic and herbs and grill/barbecue them

Thinly sliced raw in a salad

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Hot as possible

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

For my birthday, my wife has booked us dinner at Amethyst, which will be my first trip to a properly fancy restaurant

We’re going in a couple of weeks

I probably shouldn’t have just watched The Menu

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Steve Yun posted:

Yeah, a thin coating of oil and blasting at a high heat works really well. I ate a ridiculous amount of roasted zucchini every second day a few years ago, and that always worked for me. It's super nice roasted, with just a little salt and black pepper, and a squeeze of lemon juice to finish. Slice em 1 cm thick and sort them by diameter to cook them efficiently as possible.

It takes about 15-20 minutes for oven heat to break down the internal structure of the zucchini and let all the water out, so you absolutely need to frazzle the outside before the inside decides to collapse.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Does anyone else ever like to recall stupid cooking poo poo they did when they were young? I moved out of my parents house as a teen knowing basically nothing about cooking, and my skills amounted mostly to boiling pre made pasta sides and cooking chicken breast I marinated in salad dressing on the stovetop, so really everything has been a crash course over the years. But I was just thinking about how my go to way of cooking fresh mushrooms back in the day was to simmer them like pasta in water and drain them off in the sink, which is just the worst on multiple levels lol.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Just this morning, I noticed a scar at the base of my right hand index finger.
It happened when I was about 12 and my aunt asked me if I was ever worried about chopping veg so young, I scoffed and said I'd never cut myself so far and then...
It's funny because I have had so many other injuries since, that have left no mark, but that one bit of culinary hubris has left a neat little line on my finger for 30+ years.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jan 28, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

veni veni veni posted:

Does anyone else ever like to recall stupid cooking poo poo they did when they were young? I moved out of my parents house as a teen knowing basically nothing about cooking, and my skills amounted mostly to boiling pre made pasta sides and cooking chicken breast I marinated in salad dressing on the stovetop, so really everything has been a crash course over the years. But I was just thinking about how my go to way of cooking fresh mushrooms back in the day was to simmer them like pasta in water and drain them off in the sink, which is just the worst on multiple levels lol.
There was the time in college when I made persimmon pudding and forgot the sugar.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I recall skipping cumin in recipes because I didn't know what it was. It's... Never optional, afaik.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’m choosing to willfully suppress the stupid cooking poo poo I did when I was younger and instead going to remember how my roommate would tell people I was a great cook because it always smelled great when I was making dinner.

Everything I cooked back then started with butter, garlic, and onion.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I got a crock pot when I was probably 24, because I wanted to make carnitas and slow cooked meat felt like some magic to me at the time. Anyways I looked this recipe up that called for a pinch of cinnamon and for some loving reason I dumped like 3 tablespoons of cinnamon in there. Whole house smelled like cinnamon for a week. Borderline inedible. Worst part was the only pork shoulder I could find at the store was 12lbs and I forced myself to choke it all down over like 4 months because I feel bad wasting meat. I didn't make any slow cooked pork or anything with cinnamon in it for like a year after that.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I was about 16 when I first tried to use my mom's bread machine. Smelled amazing for the couple hours it was working. When gave the "all done" beep, I opened the lid, but the bread was... not there? Just a very small crust?

I forgot to add the water. Turns out toasted flour smells amazing though!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Democratic Pirate posted:

I’m choosing to willfully suppress the stupid cooking poo poo I did when I was younger and instead going to remember how my roommate would tell people I was a great cook because it always smelled great when I was making dinner.

The issue being?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Arkhamina posted:

I recall skipping cumin in recipes because I didn't know what it was. It's... Never optional, afaik.

"They want me to put WHAT in? Naaaasty! Skippin' that. Freak-rear end recipe."

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Democratic Pirate posted:

There are meals that don't?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

veni veni veni posted:

No dumb mistakes in the actual cooking for me. I nerded out hard when I started cooking for myself and studied it thoroughly before doing anything. I even bought Japanese whetstones I have never used (3 different grades of course).

All my early stupid cooking poo poo was from laziness. Plus I mostly still do them. Like my scrambled eggs are basically an omelette I smash up before it's fully cooked because it's less effort and it's just fine to me personally.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

Brawnfire posted:

"They want me to put WHAT in? Naaaasty! Skippin' that. Freak-rear end recipe."

Nah, just sheltered. My grandma emigrated from Ireland, my mom grew up in the 50s, and uh, rolled with mostly 50s, Northeast USA food. I had curry for the first time at 18. Nothing, ever, spicy. A lot of stuff like '3 bean salad' and scalloped potatoes. Getting fancy was like, rolling up stove top stuffing in cabbage leaves baking it. Helped in my poverty student days, because I can absolutely live off of potatoes, lentils, oatmeal, rice, and frozen veg like spinach.

As an aside, my partner does not agree that left over cornbread with sugar and milk is a substitute for breakfast cereal. Weirdo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

That sounds weirdly delicious