Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Everything in wrestling is real to Eddie, including all forms of dark sorcery such as teleportation and evil mists

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I really enjoyed this week's 'page, though the crowd seemed dead for a lot of it. Maybe they were just tuckered out after a long day of cheering, or maybe they don't care that much about yuta and emi (which is wrong of them to do so)
I really dug the opener, brutal and hard hitting and i do like when hanger positions himself as a heel. (Remember when he said a specific punk fan will be burning his tshirt) i like yuta, it's good to see how much he's grown but still being overpowered by hangman. A story i really like, as told by two wrestlers i really like.
I appreciate the best friends new gradient, and this was another fun match in a fun feud.
I also think the book of Hobbes being an actual book is dumb, and not a particularly enjoyable strain of dumb. But it's currently so lightly done it's not effecting my enjoyment any.
God bless whoever lobbied for the main event, i presume hayter. I do think the crowd weren't expecting or totally down for emi to show up and dominate the women's champ for a good part of this match. I like emi, i think she deserves it, and i think she showed that when given the chance she can really deliver the goods. great match. And mei and akki were there too, dressed as utter goofs.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/AndrewTRich/status/1619370214478548992

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

DeathChicken posted:

I mean if Akki and Mei are hanging around, Akki's English is perfect and Mei's is fine, Emi doesn't really need to talk

Unfortunately, they are going back to Japan after this weekend

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
All I want is Eddie to dress like Julia Ghoulia now

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Majinfoose posted:

All I want is Eddie to dress like Julia Ghoulia now

I hope he keeps the timbs

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

MJeff posted:

Eddie Kingston is going to embark on a long storyline where he gains the House of Black's trust and then turns on them, after which he'll lose to Malakai Black in 11 minutes on Rampage. He will not be seen on TV for 2 months afterwards.

As much as it pains me to admit it, you're probably right. At the very least I don't see Eddie with the world title this year like so many people seem to feel is a lock.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The only thing that makes me think Eddie getting a title shot within the next year is even the slightest possibility is that MJF mentioned him by name in his promo. In AEW, stuff like that is generally done purposefully, which makes me think all of this is a misdirect, Eddie is still a babyface, he'll wind up getting some wins and get his title shot against MJF eventually.

Absolutely zero shot he beats him, of course.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

MJeff posted:

The only thing that makes me think Eddie getting a title shot within the next year is even the slightest possibility is that MJF mentioned him by name in his promo. In AEW, stuff like that is generally done purposefully, which makes me think all of this is a misdirect, Eddie is still a babyface, he'll wind up getting some wins and get his title shot against MJF eventually.

Absolutely zero shot he beats him, of course.

Really? If MJF tells me Eddie is "NEVER going to be champion" my first assumption is that he's next.

Especially when it's one of the first things he says in his reign and Eddie doesn't come after him immediately.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I don't think Eddie gets a world title reign and I don't see Tony giving him a long reign and Tony also doesn't seem interested in doing quick transition reign. if anything Eddie seems best for either Mid-Atlantic or TNT run or could feud with Claudio for the ROH title

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Should have posted this when I started, but Results for Punch Sport Pagoda's Top Ten Favorite Pro-Wrestlers for 2022 are being posted at the moment, if you want to see where your own favorites ended up.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
eddie getting the roh title makes a lot of sense but i do think he'd be able to pull off getting the main title, and more than that i think he deserves it

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Since he lost to Jericho, Eddie has wrestled four times on TV, once on Dynamite, three times on Rampage, he has gone 0-4 in those matches. He's gone 2-0 on PPV, but both have been on Zero Hour against outsiders from different companies. His last win on Dynamite was Blood and Guts. The last time he beat an AEW contracted wrestler on AEW television was Jake Hager, last June, or Takeshita last July, if you want to count that. His last PPV win is Revolution, against Jericho.

I just look at this and I don't see someone Tony Khan has any interest in pushing at all, muchless giving his world title. Frankly, I look at Eddie's booking over the last six months and it paints the picture that for whatever reason, after the Jericho feud, Tony Khan went totally ice cold on the guy.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
I do think Eddie gets a world title reign but I do think it's the first truly short title reign in AEW (one PPV cycle).

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

MJeff posted:

I just look at this and I don't see someone Tony Khan has any interest in pushing at all, muchless giving his world title. Frankly, I look at Eddie's booking over the last six months and it paints the picture that for whatever reason, after the Jericho feud, Tony Khan went totally ice cold on the guy.

I think the altercation with Sammy just made Tony think trusting him with anything too important isn't a good idea.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

El Generico posted:

I do think Eddie gets a world title reign but I do think it's the first truly short title reign in AEW (one PPV cycle).

Yeah AEW is due for one of these that happened on purpose IMO and Eddie's a perfect guy to both end MJF's reign on a big moment and put nuclear heat on the heel that follows. Like imagine what someone like Swerve could do with that setup, poo poo

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

MJeff posted:

Since he lost to Jericho, Eddie has wrestled four times on TV, once on Dynamite, three times on Rampage, he has gone 0-4 in those matches. He's gone 2-0 on PPV, but both have been on Zero Hour against outsiders from different companies. His last win on Dynamite was Blood and Guts. The last time he beat an AEW contracted wrestler on AEW television was Jake Hager, last June, or Takeshita last July, if you want to count that. His last PPV win is Revolution, against Jericho.

Eh, I think ice cold is the wrong reading. I think Eddie is in a position of being someone who can be the loser in a special event style match which is a good spot to be. However it does mean he's not likely to win a title or if he does it's going to be

El Generico posted:

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Dark report: I like The Outrunners

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there's some performers that tk knows people are going to be behind even if their records on paper aren't the best, because they can be warmed up in a second believably. orange cassidy was that for a good long while, and now he's been on a real fun belt run. if anything, eddie's specifically going through a story arc that necessitated being at a low point and is currently one of the people being centered as a performer on the shows while that's happening

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

I think the altercation with Sammy just made Tony think trusting him with anything too important isn't a good idea.

Yeah there's a very clear dividing line in Eddie's prominence on shows and it's Sammygate. But even despite barely featuring he's still one of the most popular guys on the show. Him chasing the title from MJF and winning would do huge money, you'd just need him to talk for 5 minutes

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

Yeah there's a very clear dividing line in Eddie's prominence on shows and it's Sammygate.

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 29, 2023

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I guess if we're just making poo poo up to doompost about, then we might as well decide he was too friendly with Santana, also Tony's not going to have Hangman beat Omega for the title because he lost when everyone here thought he should win.

and I don't know why you want Kingston as champ anyways since these threads are going to be full of "his reign was lackluster and it's time to drop the belt" posts starting about a week after he wins it.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
If you want Kingston to roar back to life to challenge MJF and unexpectedly win the belt you need to put him on the back burner while other challenges are going on.

Arthur Ashe is still ~6 months and two ppvs away.

Outlaw Mailman
Jul 1, 2007
Two kinds of crazy
Still thinking about "Sammy watch this!"
"I'm watchin!"

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Outlaw Mailman posted:

Still thinking about "Sammy watch this!"
"I'm watchin!"

lol that was so loving funny

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Chris Jericho is going to make peace between CMLL and AEW and all will be right with the world.

https://twitter.com/IAmJericho/status/1619446978529886208

So long AAA losers!

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
Rocky Romero acknowledges no state or promotional borders.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Duke Pukem posted:

Unfortunately, they are going back to Japan after this weekend

This is good, Akki and Chris Brookes are my favourite English commentary team (narrowly beating out Drew Parker and Chris Brookes)

Dammit Chrissy B needs a Dark match when DDT comes to America in March, need to get more eyes on that lanky bastard

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

edit: WRONG THREAD PLEASE IGNORE

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I hope eddie Kingston joins the house of black and nobody turns on anyone for a good long time

Just some spooky boys using Eddie's insane brutality to have him be their secret weapon for a while

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it's finally happening
https://twitter.com/AEW/status/1619326930796281856

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
We are so lucky AEW exists.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Lid posted:

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
https://twitter.com/StreetFighter/s...%5Es1_&ref_url=

How could they do this to Kenny?

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lid posted:

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Lid posted:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

she could've been in House of Black

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

If Eddie isn't the next challenger after MJF plucked his name out of thin air for his first promo, then plans changed in a world where nothing is certain. At first it seemed clear that Max saying Eddie will never be world champion meant he eventually will be, but now I'm unsure. I've been thinking about Max beating Darby with a headlock takeover after saying as much. It's just a fun thing the show does to tell you what's going to happen and then do it in an unexpected way.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

fez_machine posted:

his guy
If you want Kingston to roar back to life to challenge MJF and unexpectedly win the belt you need to put him on the back burner while other challenges are going on.

Arthur Ashe is still ~6 months and two ppvs away.

This is it, and it's also the answer to anyone who wonders why Garcia went back to JAS instead of turning face or why Yuta is becoming an appetizer for people en route to a bigger matchup against Moxley. Sometimes a guy's Big Moment isn't gonna happen until a ways down the line, and until then you kinda have to deaden their momentum or keep em in a holding pattern. It's fine. Everything's fine

Not saying Eddie is definitely going to challenge/beat MJF for the title, but he'll be back in the main event scene eventually. The company's not gonna spit in the face of the audience for getting behind this guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Eddie is going to beat Claudio for the title