Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

Wo Long is from the Nioh devs right? How challenging are those games compared to Souls games? The game looks interesting, but I’m not really interested in that kind of challenging gameplay at the moment

They're significantly easier but you get about ten billion loot drops per second

It's more like Diablo Souls than anything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Oxxidation posted:

they wouldn't be your thing, then. nioh and its successors are made by team ninja, and their gameplay is way more fast-paced and high-execution than souls

endgame nioh is supposed to be pretty easy though?
like there's rocket tag and really high damage but on the other hand putting 5 slowing and paralyzing debuffs on a boss with your free onmyoji magic and then draining its ki and stunlocking it to death is pretty easy.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

like there's rocket tag and really high damage but on the other hand putting 5 slowing and paralyzing debuffs on a boss with your free onmyoji magic and then draining its ki and stunlocking it to death is pretty easy.

with the right weapon loadout, an understanding of purity/corruption, and the correct weapon/armor affixes then, yes, you can, but it's a hell of a struggle on your first playthrough, especially if you don't understand the high volume of systems the game lobs your way

i love nioh 2 a lot but it's one of the most impenetrable games to get into from the outset, especially if you're used to a simpler dark souls layout and not, "every weapon has its own sphere grid and complex combo inputs, good luck"

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
The game, and the Nioh games, sound great, I just need to be in the mood for the style of game. Appreciate the responses

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the loot system in the Niohs and SoP take what would be 9/10 games and makes them like 6 to 7/10 games

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Wo Long is from the Nioh devs right? How challenging are those games compared to Souls games? The game looks interesting, but I’m not really interested in that kind of challenging gameplay at the moment

Its going to be punishing as gently caress. Their games have absolutely no forgiveness or settings to make them easier. Team Ninja is a lot like From in that they enjoy dick punching their players.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

You don't even have the option of going somewhere else and picking up some magic like in DS1 because it's levels you pick from a map. And most of your kit is hard locked behind story progress. The first two real bosses in Nioh 1 are some of the hardest roadblocks in gaming, real rear end in a top hat difficulty spikes.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
They started even earlier than that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1Jkbeepkyo

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

I said come in! posted:

Its going to be punishing as gently caress. Their games have absolutely no forgiveness or settings to make them easier. Team Ninja is a lot like From in that they enjoy dick punching their players.

what the

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I like it when videogames are super hard

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
A hard game can be pretty relaxing imo

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Hard games for a hard gamer

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I agree, but the first Onryoki and bat lady fights in Nioh 1 are anything but relaxing

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Both Nioh games are by far the hardest games I've ever beaten legit

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dabir posted:

I agree, but the first Onryoki and bat lady fights in Nioh 1 are anything but relaxing

you should have fought Onryoki in the alpha when the game still had durability

your weapons would break after 3 or so blocks so you basically had to dodge everything, and even then you had to keep a spare weapon because the first would probably break over an attempt.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That sounds loving awful. Glad they dropped that

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

team ninja
https://twitter.com/TruebladeSeeker/status/1610512879064846336

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's a blinding incomprehensible mess of particle effects, UI and transformations

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
that doesn't actually look especially fast in a gameplay sense more like limp bizkit man is using jrpg skills whose animations hit like 20 times
like if you hid the gameplay and just showed the controller for that vs a sekiro bossfight it would be at 1/5th the speed

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You've just described what's known as mastery

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

just got to the destruction of Pascal's village. Does anything good ever happen in this game?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

You know what's funny? These towers are exactly the kind of gameplay I assumed you guys were talking about when you first said there was extra content after the credits. Not fun. I died in the third one to a suicide robot and even though I know it's the last one, I'm really having trouble ginning up interest in trying it again.

At this point I am 100% only interested in the game for the story and the cavalcade of sad things has me losing interest even in that.

And there's an anime. I could just watch the anime

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010

Gripweed posted:

And there's an anime. I could just watch the anime

The anime went on indefinite hiatus after episode 3 because of covid so nope

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
They just got turned into a hashtag

https://twitter.com/StreetFighter/status/1619544463927394310

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i am currently making my way through nioh 2, and sometimes the game becomes so rage-inducing that i really can't describe it!

for example there's a bathhouse mission which is pretty short, but there's a bit where you need to run along some skinny rafters and in the 2nd version of the mission there is a companion npc and that loving bitch knocked me off the rafters into a giant pile of enemies at the bottom 3 god drat loving times.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Kerrzhe posted:

i am currently making my way through nioh 2, and sometimes the game becomes so rage-inducing that i really can't describe it!

for example there's a bathhouse mission which is pretty short, but there's a bit where you need to run along some skinny rafters and in the 2nd version of the mission there is a companion npc and that loving bitch knocked me off the rafters into a giant pile of enemies at the bottom 3 god drat loving times.

Oh that level is in nioh 1 too. Never gets less frustrating to navigate

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

and then there was another mission where i had 2 cool npc bros with me at once, and we were wrecking poo poo but then i went too close to the main quest path and they abandoned me before i could explore and clear out the rest of the areas!!! i have never felt so loving betrayed

i don't care how many kittens you have in your pocket, hattori hanzo, you shouldn't have left me there to DIE

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Nioh seems like my personal hell game, judging by this thread. Does it have randomly generated mazes too?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

I said come in! posted:

[team ninja director glaring at the QA tester's dick after messing up a boss, while tightening his fist]: NOOOOOO FORGIVENESSS!!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wanted: Dead in two weeks. :hellyeah:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I hope this is good! It looks really good!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

exquisite tea posted:

But you have so much to live for...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Like for example the impending release of Wanted: Dead!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

loving sick

exquisite tea posted:

it's going to be great

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Anyone here played that Hi Fi Rush game? Does it feel good to play or is it just carried by its style?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Macaluso posted:

Anyone here played that Hi Fi Rush game? Does it feel good to play or is it just carried by its style?

Its on game pass so for 1 dollar you can find out, or for 30 you can own it.

More relevant to your question, it has a 91 on open critic and people are having a blast with it because it controls very well and its issues are other things. Like does it have issues i want a sequel to tackle? Yes. Did they nail the core concept and finally make a rythm combat game that a normal person can enjoy and appreciate? Yes.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That's good to know about the controls. For the record I had no idea it was a sequel to anything and only watched the trailer like 30 minutes ago. The aesthetic just looks very cool

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

It's not a sequel to anything, although it is a kind of spiritual successer to Viewtiful Joe and Jet Grind Radio. Regardless it is an amazing game that you can feel good about playing even if your timing is like 50% accurate on Normal difficulty. It's also just very cleverly written and does not take itself too seriously at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I've never had an issue with the loot in either Nioh game cuz I just quick sell all of that poo poo that I don't need/care about in between missions and it was fine