Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Narzack posted:

Sheeeeit, I barely survived that far.

But the amount of recommended cardio you're about to do/likely already have done is such a bonus!

Think positively!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

But the amount of recommended cardio you're about to do/likely already have done is such a bonus!

Think positively!

Your favorite activity was....swimming.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
And getting eaten by scary sea monsters. Note to self: Seamoth does not prevent being ingested by scary sea monsters.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Narzack posted:

And getting eaten by scary sea monsters. Note to self: Seamoth does not prevent being ingested by scary sea monsters.

Imagine a space game like subnautica. Getting eaten by an eldritch space monster as you explore some remote Saturnic moon asteroid ring. That setting would really make me come around to the cyclops as a vehicle

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Play Outer Wilds

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

General Battuta posted:

Play Outer Wilds

I did, ship too small, not enough base building, too much temporal explosions, too little time. Wonderful game & story yet very very different experience from subnautica

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Outer Wilds is great, but it's an incredibly stressful game compared to the casual nature of Subnautica.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
The Leviathans in Outer Wilds are awful compared to Subnautica.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Outer Wilds is gorgeous, really a lovely lovely game. I also hate playing it sometimes, it's incredibly stressful at times- I simply can't manage some of the platforming sections, they make me so anxious I feel like I'm playing a horror game. I might never finish the game because of the platforming area over the black hole and it's a real shame.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

It's a different genre almost entirely, but Sea of Thieves scratches the "I would love to have co-pilots on the Cyclops" itch amazingly well. Even on the sloop, having help is wonderful.

Despite being set almost exclusively on the high seas, there isn't a whole lot to do underwater, but wow does it make me wish for a multiplayer Subnautica 3. :pray:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wish there was a Sea of Thieves that I could play by myself.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MikeJF posted:

I wish there was a Sea of Thieves that I could play by myself.

It's doable. Sometimes, I prefer it. Makes poo poo REAL tense at times, but it's mostly ok. Get a sloop, take out a fort for supplies and whatnot, and do a quest. Most of the stuff scales :shrug:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Outer Wilds is gorgeous, really a lovely lovely game. I also hate playing it sometimes, it's incredibly stressful at times- I simply can't manage some of the platforming sections, they make me so anxious I feel like I'm playing a horror game. I might never finish the game because of the platforming area over the black hole and it's a real shame.

I don’t know if you know this already but it’s quite ok to fall into the black hole

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

General Battuta posted:

I don’t know if you know this already but it’s quite ok to fall into the black hole

Yeah but the whole sequence is timed and honestly incredibly stressful. If you need to visit specific locations on that planet, you gotta do the jumps.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

By the end of the game I was pretty good at flying my ship around inside Brittle Hollow and just wedging it in near where I needed to go, you can skip most of the platforming like that.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah but the whole sequence is timed and honestly incredibly stressful. If you need to visit specific locations on that planet, you gotta do the jumps.

Some locations, yeah. Others maybe less so than you'd think. But you don't need to do any crazy trick jumping around the black hole itself, I don't think - it shouldn't be necessary to, like, slingshot yourself around the hole like you're in Interstellar and land somewhere. In general in Outer Wilds if something seems really technically demanding it means you don't actually need to do it, there's a simpler solution you're missing.

This is a major spoiler so maybe don't click it unless you're really stuck one of the key locations on Brittle Hollow can only be accessed AFTER it falls into the black hole

Anyway maybe I'm being too solicitous here, I just really love that game.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

General Battuta posted:

Some locations, yeah. Others maybe less so than you'd think. But you don't need to do any crazy trick jumping around the black hole itself, I don't think - it shouldn't be necessary to, like, slingshot yourself around the hole like you're in Interstellar and land somewhere. In general in Outer Wilds if something seems really technically demanding it means you don't actually need to do it, there's a simpler solution you're missing.

This is a major spoiler so maybe don't click it unless you're really stuck one of the key locations on Brittle Hollow can only be accessed AFTER it falls into the black hole

Anyway maybe I'm being too solicitous here, I just really love that game.

I need to reinstall it and try again, I just got really frustrated with that sequence (and a few others). Was expecting a much more chill experience going into it, and the first couple of hours delivered but I found myself pushing up against gameplay I didn't enjoy very much.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don’t think I will ever replay Outer Wilds. It’s a great game, has interesting mechanics and a good story, but even having completed it, it was just a super stressful experience.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's one of those games most people won't replay. There's very little point to replaying because of the nature of the game, except for going for stunts.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I bounced off it my first time with the same issues. The time limits, the puzzle nature of things, the general feeling of being lost. I gave it some time and came back and found myself completely in love with it, despite some frustrations. I found a "Spoiler-Free" guide on Steam that really help direct me in a few places. It really cut down on some of the more tedious aspects of the game, without giving away the wonders of the game. I honestly wonder if I would of enjoyed the game as much as I did without that guide though. Sometimes a bit of hand-holding can go a long way. I would recommend it if you really found yourself stuck.

Great ending though, 10/10. Very much worth the journey.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

MikeJF posted:

It's one of those games most people won't replay. There's very little point to replaying because of the nature of the game, except for going for stunts.

If Subnautica were just a shade worse, I'd feel the same about it. But there's just something that keeps me coming back.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

If Subnautica were just a shade worse, I'd feel the same about it. But there's just something that keeps me coming back.

You’re never actually safe in Subnautica. There’s always something out there that will try to crack open your Cyclops and have you as a snack, and stands a decent chance at it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

You’re never actually safe in Subnautica. There’s always something out there that will try to crack open your Cyclops and have you as a snack, and stands a decent chance at it.

You're safe in your base, though!

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Well, I found out the hard way that if you build too much too quickly, your poo poo will break and flood. Guess I need to pay attention more to the hull integrity messages when fabricating.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Icon Of Sin posted:

I really don't feel the same way, I love SN and played it twice to the end, but once you learn a few tricks it's really trivial to avoid all the predators. The cyclops (in my second run) might as well have been a godmode, nothing even aggroed it.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I really don't feel the same way, I love SN and played it twice to the end, but once you learn a few tricks it's really trivial to avoid all the predators. The cyclops (in my second run) might as well have been a godmode, nothing even aggroed it.

Do a lap around the aurora in it.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Pander posted:

Do a lap around the aurora in it.

Part of being safe in SN is *not* doing incredibly dumb stuff :D

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I think you only need to deal with one aggressive leviathan, right? My last couple of playthroughs I have only had an up-close encounter with three of them: one behind the aurora for the sweet early game scans, the almost-passive one hanging out in the lost river, and my neighbor the dragon.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Manager Hoyden posted:

I think you only need to deal with one aggressive leviathan, right? My last couple of playthroughs I have only had an up-close encounter with three of them: one behind the aurora for the sweet early game scans, the almost-passive one hanging out in the lost river, and my neighbor the dragon.

The only leviathan that even looked at me funny in my second playthrough (when I knew where to go) was the dragon because I forgot how big a range he has.

Love love the game, but it has more in common with something like Amnesia, which manages to create a great mood without ever putting you in too much danger. Big bark, small bite. Vibes more than actual menace.

EDIT: The exception being when a bug moves your seamoth underground or something, but I don't feel like that counts.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

Those crabs on the Aurora and elsewhere are fun to grab with the gravity gun and hurl across the ocean.

I just built a gravity gun and I can confirm. Eat poo poo, you little bastards.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!
Leviathans got a lot less scary in my cyclops once I realized all you have to do is turn the engine off and it will ignore you :v:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like this needs to be posted here. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1338840/Death_in_the_Water_2/

Basically it's an underwater FPS about killing dangerous ocean critters. An anti-Subnautica.

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like this needs to be posted here. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1338840/Death_in_the_Water_2/

Basically it's an underwater FPS about killing dangerous ocean critters. An anti-Subnautica.

Was thinking of posting this here as well. It has excellent underwater graphics, sound and a story that really reminds me of Subnautica.
Ultimately it's a wave shooter but it's really pretty fun and has me wishing I could build a base and turrets.

Nukelear v.2 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jan 31, 2023

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

zeldadude posted:

Leviathans got a lot less scary in my cyclops once I realized all you have to do is turn the engine off and it will ignore you :v:

Silent running gets you most of the way there, too.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Recently I've had reapers that really go all out to try and kill me - i had one that just kept pushing my Cyclops even after I turned power off and got out of the driver's seat until I was very nearly off the map. Ended up jumping out in my prawn soot and beating it to death but I really tried to avoid violence.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bad Munki posted:

Silent running gets you most of the way there, too.
Just don't forget to turn silent running back off when you don't need it. Coming back, low on air, to a dark Cyclops is a less than ideal experience.

My last SN playthrough I decided to not even bother trying to hide and instead went full power past the leviathans and it worked out pretty well, but normally if I'm playing sneaky I'll get tagged once or twice by the one near the tree and can generally avoid the others.

BZ on the other hand, my Seatruck might as well have been named "Chew Toy" for how many times they aggroed on me, and unlike the Seamoth it doesn't really have the ability to dodge an attack.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
In BZ you get the shocker attachment for free when you follow the storyline though.
All you ever need.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

OgNar posted:

In BZ you get the shocker attachment for free when you follow the storyline though.
All you ever need.

It turns the fear of the unknown into a timing minigame, which is less fun.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Playing subnautica again after a few years. I am in the endgame, but I think I just need to retreat from the lava zone to find the thermal generator and sonar upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You are correct.