Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
d20pfsrd.com is a bad, outdated and frequently incorrect website. Use aonprd.com instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

That does seem more up to date and comprehensive, thanks. The Red Tongue Skald I want to build in CotW isn't listed in d20pfsrd but is in aonprd.com.

And hey, look: I knewfelt CotW was wrong in putting the last Red Tongue rogue talent at lvl 19 instead of 17 when base and all the other archetypes had something happening at 17.

Now all I have to do is fight the urge to waste days on setting up a Kingmaker modding environment all over again to fix it, after which I'll never play the game, just like last time. It's a one-letter fix, too: change 19 to 17 on this line. But setting up the environment and figuring out how to get the build working was days the last time around.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 27, 2023

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
You'd probably like Pillars of Eternity and it's sequel.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

For sure: my PoE1 run is stuck at Twin Elms right after having completed the DLCs and finished Act 2(?). I'll probably go straight to Deadfire when I get back to them. Starting Deadfire is what got me to go back to the first game, much like Wrath and Kingmaker.

But I will def play Deadfire: BG1 reminded me how much I love these kinds of games.

There are some really nice mods for Kingmaker, I'm pleasantly surprised this time around. Here are the ones I'm using if anyone's curious about what's available. Just tried out the Crafting mod today for the first time and I'm impressed at how well implemented it is mechanically. You have to use the mod manager UI because there's no easy way to extend the base game's UI, but it's otherwise very much based on pnp rules - a general theme for many of these mods.

Call of the Wild for instance nerfs pets back to pnp rules, which is pretty huge (multipliers of 2x and 1.5x were in the default game). But on the other hand you get to level up pets yourself instead of the game doing it for you. Got a kick out of selecting feats on a Leopard, which let me bump the damage die on its Bite attack by one. CotW is pretty impressive in its ambition.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

v1ld posted:

For sure: my PoE1 run is stuck at Twin Elms right after having completed the DLCs and finished Act 2(?). I'll probably go straight to Deadfire when I get back to them. Starting Deadfire is what got me to go back to the first game, much like Wrath and Kingmaker.

But I will def play Deadfire: BG1 reminded me how much I love these kinds of games.

There are some really nice mods for Kingmaker, I'm pleasantly surprised this time around. Here are the ones I'm using if anyone's curious about what's available. Just tried out the Crafting mod today for the first time and I'm impressed at how well implemented it is mechanically. You have to use the mod manager UI because there's no easy way to extend the base game's UI, but it's otherwise very much based on pnp rules - a general theme for many of these mods.

Call of the Wild for instance nerfs pets back to pnp rules, which is pretty huge (multipliers of 2x and 1.5x were in the default game). But on the other hand you get to level up pets yourself instead of the game doing it for you. Got a kick out of selecting feats on a Leopard, which let me bump the damage die on its Bite attack by one. CotW is pretty impressive in its ambition.
You'll want a level cap removal mod for PoE2 since you hit the cap waaaay too early (2/3rds through the game) if you're a completionist and have all the DLC. It doesn't really make things easier at all, especially the handful of legendary bosses.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
PoE1 really wants to be BG2 and it shows, in all the good and bad ways.

PoE2 decided to try and make it more of an open world explore experience with a main quest that's just kind of like "yeah, well poo poo what do you expect anyone to do?"

Combat is a huge step up in 2 so if you find getting through 1 a bit of a drag just crank it down to easy or something just to get the save file to import.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

You should go back to your PoE1 game because having reached Twin Elms and having done the DLC you are like 90% of the way done the game.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
2e is superior because I just don't wanna do math homework to play a computer rpg

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

goblin week posted:

2e is superior because I just don't wanna do math homework to play a computer rpg

The Pathfinder 1e rules are more complicated but the newer Owlcat CRPGs have a lot of usability features compared to the old games like shared party inventory, a screen that lets you pick up items you missed before you leave areas, and in-game respecs for the player character and companions.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
oh poo poo for real? respec is huge for me, my long time problem with DnD systems was cementing myself into a lovely build because my brain didn't have a twenty level plan

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
It's less of a problem around the table since problem-solving is only limited by the extent of the players' imagination, and DM's can tailor the problems to appeal to the abilities the players have chose in the first place.

In video games however, the developers know exactly what problems the player will be facing from start to end, and how they can be solved, so the onus is on them to also keep the development of the player character's ability set constrained to what will actually make solving those problems enjoyable. A respec system just seems like an admission of defeat to me, since it's not going to be of any use until the player has had the Bad Moment where they realise their character concept and chosen set of abilities do not belong in the game the developer has made. It's better than not having it regardless, but it shouldn't be the solution.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Slashrat posted:

It's less of a problem around the table since problem-solving is only limited by the extent of the players' imagination, and DM's can tailor the problems to appeal to the abilities the players have chose in the first place.

In video games however, the developers know exactly what problems the player will be facing from start to end, and how they can be solved, so the onus is on them to also keep the development of the player character's ability set constrained to what will actually make solving those problems enjoyable. A respec system just seems like an admission of defeat to me, since it's not going to be of any use until the player has had the Bad Moment where they realise their character concept and chosen set of abilities do not belong in the game the developer has made. It's better than not having it regardless, but it shouldn't be the solution.

Players respec for a lot of different reasons.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I did say it was a good thing to have regardless.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Slashrat posted:

I did say it was a good thing to have regardless.

You also said it's existence is a developer admitting defeat.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
When used as the apparent solution to having trap options in a video game yes, which was the problem that it was brought up in the context of.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

D&D-style leveling systems (especially stuff like 3rd edition and Pathfinder) are a lot more tiresome for me these days. I think it’s because I got back into tabletop - 90% of our fun comes from creative bullshitting. Having to sort through feats and spell DCs and restrictions totally breaks the flow of a good session.

I kinda wish more role playing systems just left abilities up to the player. You’re stealthy or can use fire magic? Do whatever, get creative! Roll a dice to see if it works or not.

That obviously doesn’t translate well to CRPGs and I do like to play a really crunchy game once a year, like Baldur’s Gate with SCS. It just seems like going heavy into systems and meta character building distracts from the narrative and writing.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

cheesetriangles posted:

You should go back to your PoE1 game because having reached Twin Elms and having done the DLC you are like 90% of the way done the game.

Yeah, I really should. And though I know the broad shape of the revelation to come, it'd be good to hear it from Thaos's mouth.

Running it on easy as pentyne suggested is a good idea.

goblin week posted:

oh poo poo for real? respec is huge for me, my long time problem with DnD systems was cementing myself into a lovely build because my brain didn't have a twenty level plan

The UI in the games is very well done, especially the level up screen which is a real standout in games in general for me. You get a visual representation of all the myriad things that a class or archetype will get through its 20 level career. They use horizonal lines to group related feats and mechanics, which makes that screen a better representation than all the words in all the books. A real triumph of UI design, imo.

Also feels like they put the entire rulebook into the game as mouse overs.

There's a pretty complete breakdown of most numbers on screen when you mouse over, showing you how it was calculated in a pretty straightforward manner.

You can tell they put real effort and intent into their game to make it easier for the player to get over the huge hump that is Pathfinder rules.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Slashrat posted:

When used as the apparent solution to having trap options in a video game yes, which was the problem that it was brought up in the context of.

Every option is viable on Normal, but on Unfair difficulty it's easy to make a suboptimal choice, and Unfair sort of requires an optimal build plus some dice luck to succeed.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Some more on class/leveling ui in these games. Here's the Kingmaker char class selection/level up UI:

This is for a base Skald. Shows what you get at level 1 along with progression as you level up. The hover over text is a pretty easy way to get a feel for what a class can do, though sometimes you have to look up mechanics that rely on knowledge not in the pop-ups - like a resource that's being consumed for example. It's great to have all of this organized by lines, so you get to see the logical progression of base features over levels.

I'm hovering over the Versatile Performance line of abilities that are granted automatically as you level.

The batshit number of classes available in the Call of the Wild mod can be seen in the left column, see the scroll bar for just how many different base classes and prestige classes there are. The second column shows Skald archetypes and mixed archetypes. Again a batshit number - Call of the Wild does not gently caress around.

Here's the Red Tongue archetype, the one I'm considering running:

I'm hovering over the row where Versatile Performance used to be: this subclass drops that feature for Bard Talents which are essentially Rogue Talents, one of which is Combat Tactics - lets you select any Combat Feat. So it's 3 extra Combat Feats for my purpose, very lovely to have because I want this character to be a competent-if-not-great melee fighter.

You can see immediately that it grants a new line of abilities right below the Rogue Talents. The visual is immediate. It's easy to get a feel for what's in a class and it's archetypes by flipping between these visual representations, which is very cool.

The one thing that's missing here - and which Deadfire gets right - is a tree view of the Feats tree itself that shows you dependencies between feats.

I assume most of you have seen this, posting because I think it's a very well done representation of a very confusing and huge system that goes a long way towards making Pathfinder classes comprehensible.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The actual Feats screen is a fuckin nightmare though

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Even on Normal Kingmaker is about 50 steps back and 1 step forward as the character creation is as reasonably thought out as anything descended from 3e could be but they have dungeons filled with the absolute most garbage of save or die vs the machine gun of garbage level drain and or paralysis effects from strangely implemented creature abilities.

Wrath of the Righteous is much better in that regard but instead has (usually optional except for a few early encounters) piles of stats that are really annoying and a density of really dumb puzzles instead.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Not trying to pimp Kingmaker itself, just that one UI screen. E: I've heard so much bad stuff about the House At The End of the Development Budget as a goon in the kingmaker thread called it, I'll probably quit at that point, assuming I get there.

Jay Rust posted:

The actual Feats screen is a fuckin nightmare though

Yeah, this is where Deadfire's tree view of feat dependencies is so much better.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

v1ld posted:

Not trying to pimp Kingmaker itself, just that one UI screen. E: I've heard so much bad stuff about the House At The End of the Development Budget as a goon in the kingmaker thread called it, I'll probably quit at that point, assuming I get there.

It's a long hard dungeon (that feels longer because of how it's structured), but I didn't really find it that much sloggier than the other big dungeons you tend to get at the end of acts. I played Kingmaker on normal (not core) with the enemy stats tuned down a level though, and I would have dropped them more if I started getting too frustrated. You're not missing much if you drop it at the last dungeon, but I'd look up a youtube video or something of the secret final boss + ending because it's a pretty neat sequence, but not worth burning an evening doing something you don't want to to get to it.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
My main gripe with the Pathfinder games, and I still have had lots of fun with them despite this, is that they give you tons of different class choices and so many of them just sound far too similar to others.

Like there are so many variations on the same thing. Want to play a ranger? Why not a Slayer? Why not a Slayer that is attuned to nature? Why even have prestige classes when theres basically already classes that seem comparbale?

There's now a class thats just a wizard combined with a sorcerer. :psyduck:

And every class has a subclass thats just that class combined with another class. Like if thats the case, why even bother letting you take levels in other classes?

Its so confusing and bloated it clearly comes from just adding more poo poo to something and never taking anything away.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Couldn't agree more. Many of the classes are mashups of the features of others. I was just looking at options for Jaethal, the Inquisitor NPC, and came across Sanctified Slayer which is a Slayer mashup with Inquisitor.

That said there are still cool core classes. I find Inquisitor Judgements interesting for example.

The biggest use of the mashups seems to me, and I have no experience, to be able to do something funky when the number of available feats or abilities would otherwise not let me. Like that Red Tongue Skald, as it gives me the combat feats I can use since I'm very interested in a Skald's ability to share Barbarian Rage powers with the team.

But then you get stuff like the Exploiter/ Pact Wizard archetype which I looked at yesterday. It has features from so many other classes, it's bonkers. Both Exploiter and Pact Wizard are themselves bonkers mashups, and they are then mashed up into this archetype. This came from the community as I found the original article that worked out the mashup was legal by 1e rules.

I do like the variety, but I'm not looking at all available classes and archetypes it's too much.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Could be fun to roll dice for a random class/multiclass and then try to make a build out of it.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Fruits of the sea posted:

Could be fun to roll dice for a random class/multiclass and then try to make a build out of it.

This is precisely my jam. Maybe it'll allow me to make it through kingmaker for the first time. Had like three false starts.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Running into an issue in my current ironman run in BG2. In the mages stronghold quest you get apprentices and they can make 3 items for you but they risk dying. The first one we don't care about. The 2nd one of the possible choices is a scroll of Horrid Wilting, the third choice one of the possible options of a Ring of Wizardry. I know picking the ring kills 2 of them and requires all 3 to be alive to attempt it. My question is does horrid wilting kill any of the apprentices? The scroll would be nice, but the ring is priceless.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
In the second round of choices, only meteor swarm kills an apprentice.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

You can get a scroll of Horrid Wilting in the Underdark easily enough anyway, which ought to be before you can cast 8th-level spells unless you're running with a small party or being very completionist in chapters 2 and 3.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

You already get one from Jaheira and you'll kill your apprentices, you monster.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Charname never asked for those apprentices, and they're just gonna grow up to be Cowled Wizards anyway. That ring is worth more than they are. :colbert:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Charname is nearing HLA's and Edwin is about to hit 8th level spells. Two Rings of Wizardry is better than one. The Horrid Wilting will be very useful. I also managed to randomly loot two copies of Mordenkainen's Sword. Jan can't cast it yet but I have a copy for him when he can I guess. For now Charname and Edwin can summon like 10 swords a day. More with Project Image.

One thing I screwed up I had no idea was possible was Anomens quest. I made all the correct quest choices, but my reputation was too low so they failed him anyway. Never ran into that before so kind of a bummer.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0aKgvMsbzk

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Oh my god

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

incredible

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

lmao

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

There may be a god after all. "Two hours, including the wind-down."

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
That's an extremely creditable impression of David Warner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Real