Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Neo Rasa posted:

Andor has flashbacks. The issue is that the stuff that's flashed back to in the sequel trilogy sucks poo poo.

Andor's part of the Rogue One series, which is Not Star Wars.

After six or seven films in a series with a consistent style (TFA handwaves its flashback as a "force vision"), it's a pretty big departure to suddenly introduce stuff like full-on achronological editing, voiceover dialogue, slow motion....

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
This ain't your grampa's Star Wars, yeeeeeehaw

*does a lovely Memento rip-off with C3PO*

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Something very interesting to me is that all of the armored up cast (Boba, Mando, the Stormtroopers) in Galaxy's Edge have no voice of their own. They have motion circuitry built into their costumes, so when they extend their palm out a speaker in their helmet says "stop right there" and when they make scooping motions with their hands it says "move along" and when they turn their head a certain way and hold their rifle sideways it says "What's going on here?" and I think that such an incredible metaphor for Disney's handling of Star Wars.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/pabl0hidalgo/status/1619409308495802368

The REPUBLIC GALACTICA is dead. Ruthless
trader barons, driven by greed and the
lust for power, have replaced enlightenment
with oppression, and "rule by the people"
with the FIRST GALACTIC EMPIRE.

Until the tragic Holy Rebellion of "06",
the respected JEDI BENDU OF ASHLA were the
most powerful warriors in the Universe.

For a hundred thousand years, generations
of Jedi Bendu knights learned the ways of
the mysterious FORCE OF OTHERS, and acted
as the guardians of peace and justice in
the REPUBLIC. Now these legendary warriors
are all but extinct.

One by one they have
been hunted down and destroyed by a fero-
cious rival sect of mercenary warriors:
THE BLACK KNIGHTS OF THE SITH.

It is a period of civil wars. The EMPIRE
is crumbling into lawless barbarism through-
out the million worlds of the galaxy.

From the celestial equator to the farthest
reaches of the GREAT RIFT, seventy small
solar systems have united in a common war
against the tyranny of the Empire.

Under the command of a mighty Jedi warrior
known as THE STARKILLER, the REBEL
ALLIANCE has won a crushing victory over
the deadly Imperial Star Fleet.

The Empire knows that
one more such defeat will bring a thousand
more solar systems into the rebellion, and
Imperial control of the Outlands could be
lost forever....

...I can see why that opening crawl didn't make it past the drafting stage

https://twitter.com/nick_field90/status/1619411510056603648

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

George Lucas posted:

From the celestial equator to the farthest
reaches of the GREAT RIFT, seventy small
solar systems have united in a common war
against the tyranny of the Empire.

Under the command of a mighty Jedi warrior
known as THE STARKILLER, the REBEL
ALLIANCE has won a crushing victory over
the deadly Imperial Star Fleet.

The Empire knows that
one more such defeat will bring a thousand
more solar systems into the rebellion, and
Imperial control of the Outlands could be
lost forever....

You have no idea how fast I would have rented the VHS sleeve with this description on the back.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Wolfsheim posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, there isn't a single flashback in the entire OT or PT? Its basically all playing out in approximate chronological order, and while people may allude to the past or have visions of the future vis magic Jedi power, the editing never takes us there.

Stylistically the first movie is designed to feel like a documentary, or a movie that's not just about a faraway galaxy but actually a piece of media made there. He did the same thing with THX-1138, trying to make it feel like a movie from the future. Even American Graffiti feels very documentary-like (which makes sense - Lucas' first jobs out of film school were working on documentaries).

The sequels don't really engage with Star Wars as a "real" setting - they engage with it as a series of films, and are more prone to adding subjective cinematic techniques like flashbacks.

Lucas did use flash-forwards in Episode 3 to show Anakin's visions of Padme, but the way they're constructed out of already-existing footage and sometimes tacked on to unrelated scenes suggests they were added in post-production rather than being part of the initial design of the movie.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Neo Rasa posted:

You have no idea how fast I would have rented the VHS sleeve with this description on the back.

:same:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Neo Rasa posted:

:hai:

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

2house2fly posted:

Anakin has a vision of Padme dying onscreen in episode 3, that's the only time I can remember tho

That ain't a flashback.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

if anything it's a flash forward

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Neo Rasa posted:

Big same. That doesn't match the shooting script for A New Hope in more than a couple of details, but I'd have watched the hell out of a movie that did do this.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
revenge of the sith is fascinating because it's the first time that the story being told doesn't really work with the highly naturalistic style of the films (and yes, the films are highly naturalistic even with their abundance of special effects, that's part of what makes them unique).

like, the scene where sheev makes a funny noise and stabs a bunch of jedi masters wouldn't be anywhere near as goofy if it was in slow motion, because that's how you cinematically convey that a character is moving too fast for their opponents to keep up, but star wars has never been interested in using slow motion.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

F.D. Signifier posted:

Yo what the gently caress

Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Darth Zeddemore the Wise?

Hannibal Rex fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 29, 2023

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

ungulateman posted:

revenge of the sith is fascinating because it's the first time that the story being told doesn't really work with the highly naturalistic style of the films (and yes, the films are highly naturalistic even with their abundance of special effects, that's part of what makes them unique).

like, the scene where sheev makes a funny noise and stabs a bunch of jedi masters wouldn't be anywhere near as goofy if it was in slow motion, because that's how you cinematically convey that a character is moving too fast for their opponents to keep up, but star wars has never been interested in using slow motion.

Well, that's not entirely true...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IiNhsoceaY&t=55s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qiDuHCKSc8&t=112s

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
We have finished A Solo Story.

It's not going to surprise you, but my son really didn't have much to comment. It's such a movie that exists. He liked it, I liked it and I'm pretty sure we'll never talk about it ever again.

L3 was his least favourite droid. Mine as well actually, just an annoyance and slightly uncomfortable even with the whole sentience implications. They really should never have gone there. How does she even die? Why not take out her memory and put in in a new body? Or just.....fix her? They fixed 3PO 3 times over the course of 9 movies. Her dying and Lando crying subsequently did absolutely nothing for me and hilariously, after the movie my son just started talking about K instead.

Both him and me were confused when Enfys Nest suddenly decided to take of her mask. :confused: What is it with Disney and masks? Everyone keeps taking theirs off, completely ruining the mystery and slashing the badassness in half. My son even commented on it. "Her voice was way cooler with mask."

The second half is the weaker half of the movie, it felt...rushed somehow.
We do the second heist. Enfys shows up, suddenly decides to become friends....remember last time you saw her? She literally tried to kill everyone. Why the sudden change of pace? This could've worked with a little extra work. Now, it was just a little jarring.
Same with Lando just suddenly leaving.
Why did Qi'Ra interfere when Han had his gun on knife guy. Battle was over at that point. This movie seems so focused on telling us how Han becomes Han it just never really gives him actual time to shine on his own instead wanting to shoehorn in someone. Be it Beckett, Qi'ra, a droid brain or some random random Wookie. Like winning the Falcon, how the heck did they ever decide that the most iconic part of Han Solo is basically an after credits scene? :psyduck:

Still, the high was easily the cast. If they ever make a movie of just Han (Alden), Chewie and Lando (Glover) hanging out, I'd watch the poo poo out of that. Preferably if Beckett somehow comes by. Loved him as well. And the heist and I guess the Maul run/chase was pretty cool as well.

:allears: Lol at my sone being confused by Maul at the end. "wait...is that Maul? I think I read he came back, but is that him? Why is he there? Why is his Lightsaber like that. What is happening."
Ironically, apparently the book his teacher loaned him actually mentions Maul's Lightsaber being cobbeled together, but not where the pieces came from.

I guess to me this movie, is basically the actual answer to the question of: "What's wrong with Disney Starwars."
It's dumb, it's vaguely entertaining and they keep focusing on the wrong things in an amazing display of completely missing the point.

His least favourite movie is the Empire Strikes Back, his favorite movie is still Rise of the Sith. :allears: Going against the grain, he is. And now he's started watching the Clone Wars. Which, with L3 fresh in memory just makes her worse.
Ahsoka: "Quick, I'll turn off R2 so they don't detect us!"
:thunk:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

People love Han Solo so Disney thought, "Why not make a Solo Saga now that we're finished with the 'Skywalker Saga?'" And given the results, I'm sure they'll never follow up on it again. Poor Ray Park.

Have you watched the Ewok Adventures? You guys should watch the Ewok Adventures.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Remembering that they followed up the film where luke has no reaction to han being murdered and rey seriously considers whether the guy who murdered han isn't really so bad after all, with the han film

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 29, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bogus Adventure posted:

People love Han Solo so Disney thought, "Why not make a Solo Saga now that we're finished with the 'Skywalker Saga?'"

Your timeline is a little off. Lawrence Kasdan and George Lucas began working on a Solo movie before Disney even bought Lucasfilm, and it began filming twelve months before The Last Jedi hit theaters.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Timby posted:

Your timeline is a little off. Lawrence Kasdan and George Lucas began working on a Solo movie before Disney even bought Lucasfilm, and it began filming twelve months before The Last Jedi hit theaters.

I'm now wondering how much of the story got changed after the sale.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Bogus Adventure posted:

I'm now wondering how much of the story got changed after the sale.

A lot, but most movies would go through big changes over that long a time period.

Going Rogue Solo is doing a season on the movie at the moment.
https://twitter.com/goingrogue_pod/status/1614553309431595008?s=20

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Doctor Spaceman posted:

A lot, but most movies would go through big changes over that long a time period.

Going Rogue Solo is doing a season on the movie at the moment.
https://twitter.com/goingrogue_pod/status/1614553309431595008?s=20

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsRjQDrDnY8

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
All of that sounds better than the finished movie

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The sequel to Solo: A Star Wars Story is Han being tried for war crimes during the Utapau Trials.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

lmao

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Can once again recommend checking out the Going Rogue / Going Solo podcasts.

I didn't end up seeing Solo for about two years after its release. As a once big Star Wars fanatic I didn't know exactly why, other than it didn't seem like a necessary story I wanted to hear, and it just had a real... Droll look to it.

I eventually saw it, thought it was just 'ok' - then promptly forgot everything about it.

The going Solo podcast is quite interesting to hear that the writers set it up as a classic western, and the directors / cinematographers went another way with deliberate anti -western inspirations, which might explain how inconsistent it all feels. A Solo movie with the more lighthearted adventure tone of early Mandalorian would have been great.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Isometric Bacon posted:

Can once again recommend checking out the Going Rogue / Going Solo podcasts.

I didn't end up seeing Solo for about two years after its release. As a once big Star Wars fanatic I didn't know exactly why, other than it didn't seem like a necessary story I wanted to hear, and it just had a real... Droll look to it.

I eventually saw it, thought it was just 'ok' - then promptly forgot everything about it.

The going Solo podcast is quite interesting to hear that the writers set it up as a classic western, and the directors / cinematographers went another way with deliberate anti -western inspirations, which might explain how inconsistent it all feels. A Solo movie with the more lighthearted adventure tone of early Mandalorian would have been great.
That's...exactly where I was and now am with Solo.
It's pretty interesting that of all the thing sDisney decided to keep, Solo movie was one of them. Even when the collective internet went "A Solo movie? err why?"
Not even hate, or dislike as we so often do, just a collective shrug with some enthusiasts sprinkled in.

Bogus Adventure posted:

People love Han Solo so Disney thought, "Why not make a Solo Saga now that we're finished with the 'Skywalker Saga?'" And given the results, I'm sure they'll never follow up on it again. Poor Ray Park.

Have you watched the Ewok Adventures? You guys should watch the Ewok Adventures.

I forgot the Ewok adventures existed actually. Apparently Disney+ does have them. I vaguely remember watching, I think caravan of courage once and thinking it was okay. Could be fun to revisit. I'm going to pitch them to my son. :shrug:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Solo blows because it's not a movie that has Han Solo in it, it's a movie about Han Solo. It's a biopic that takes place in the Star Wars universe and it has all the same problems that every terribe biopic has. Plus a lot of additional problems stemming from being a really bad Srat Wars movie.

They should have just done 3:10 to Yuma in space or whatever. Just a small self-contained adventure.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Right? Reading through that list is a serious, "Wait, go back one?"

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

Solo blows because it's not a movie that has Han Solo in it, it's a movie about Han Solo. It's a biopic that takes place in the Star Wars universe and it has all the same problems that every terribe biopic has. Plus a lot of additional problems stemming from being a really bad Srat Wars movie.

They should have just done 3:10 to Yuma in space or whatever. Just a small self-contained adventure.

I think that the movie basically could have been saved if it would admit that Han is too much of a coward to join the Rebels at the end. He's heartbroken, he can see the case that's laid out for him, he holds the Empire in contempt... but he can't bring himself to believe in anything. He's too heartbroken by the double-betrayal and he curls in on himself.

Instead the movie sets him up in the last thirty seconds with the Falcon with a big stupid wink at the camera to try and bring you in on what a cool, fun guy Han Solo is, and it's hard to not ask what the point of the whole movie was.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I mean they very much wanted to make a trilogy of solo films (lol forever) so it was also dumb in the sense of jumping the gun on his arc in the first film

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

I mean they very much wanted to make a trilogy of solo films (lol forever) so it was also dumb in the sense of jumping the gun on his arc in the first film

This stupid plan is probably why we couldn’t get a modern CG Jabba which was all I wanted out of that movie.

We still haven’t! Disney!!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Kart Barfunkel posted:

This stupid plan is probably why we couldn’t get a modern CG Jabba which was all I wanted out of that movie.

We still haven’t! Disney!!

Should jist have him be the played by a schlubby dude in rags like in the deleted OT scene or as humanoid alien like the Marvel comics and never acknowledge it as weird.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Jabba origin story where he's a normal fat dude who pulls a Leto Atreides II

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

‘We’re putting a team together. Looking to hire a crew of nine to operate a puppet and pose as a crime lord to fool some dopes on a desert planet. It’s about a $3mil undertaking. The name? Project J.A.B.B.A.’

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Darth TNT posted:

I forgot the Ewok adventures existed actually. Apparently Disney+ does have them. I vaguely remember watching, I think caravan of courage once and thinking it was okay. Could be fun to revisit. I'm going to pitch them to my son. :shrug:

They are goofy adventures, but fun. They kind of felt like Krull for kids.

thrawn527 posted:

Right? Reading through that list is a serious, "Wait, go back one?"

Yeah, I did a double-take as well since I was just skimming the list. "Those ideas look kinda interestin----wait, WHAT?!?"

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1621146638894133253

"Screecher's Reach" by Paul Young at Cartoon Saloon (Ireland, Wolfwalkers)

"In the Stars" by Gabriel Osorio at PunkRrobot Studio (Chile, Bear Story)

"Journey to the Dark Head" by Hyeong Geun Park at Studio Mir (South Korea, The Legend of Korra)

"I Am Your Mother" by Magdalena Osinska at Aardman Animations (United Kingdom, Wallace and Gromit)

"Aau's Song" by Nadia Darries and Daniel Clarke at Triggerfish Animation Studios (South Africa, Revolting Rhymes)

"The Pit" by LeAndre Thomas at D'ART Shtajio (Japan, Snowchild music video) and Lucasfilm Ltd. (United States)

"The Spy Dancer" by Julien Chheng at Studio La Cachette (France, "Sucker of Souls" in Love, Death and Robots)

"The Bandits of Golak" by Ishan Shukla at 88 Pictures (India)

"Sith" by Rodrigo Blaas at El Guiri Studios (Spain)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 2, 2023

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Got my sleeve almost done

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

now imagining a yakuza with that sleeve and a full back tat of sleepy dreaming anakin

very sick tattoo nice job by the artist