Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Uncle Spriggly posted:

I always assume everyone has voice comms but also everyone is so salted and tired / annoyed with internet tough guys that noone uses them anymore. I only play turbo these days though, and feel like it's full of people who have realized that getting good is a fool's errand.

I turned voice volume to mute and unbound ptt like 9 years ago and never looked back. I'm sure there's a bunch of screaming assholes in some of my games yet I am blissfully unaware of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Tiger Millionaire posted:

Please buy bkb, please buy bkb PLEASE BYU BKB..I do t care if you have a linkens or a manta oh my god you're a core please buy bkb.

Been a hard week of ranked

Best I can do is a Sange and Yasha

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

cock hero flux posted:

you can, but there's a trick that the pudge can do in order to gently caress you over

hook does not interrupt channels through bkb. if you're channeling TP and get hooked, you will keep channeling TP. so yes, normally hook will fail to stop you from bkb tping out.

the issue is that if the pudge hooks you and your TP finishes while you are still in the process of being pulled, then you will snap back next to the pudge and he'll kill you. any pudge who knows this will try to go for this timing and it's not THAT hard to do, so a good pudge will manage to get you most of the time.

fun fact: this also works on your teammates as pudge so you can stop their TPs and collect free reports

https://clips.twitch.tv/BadBreakableButterflyPlanking-0_O33x3yz8_bJTd- Hey look, it happened in a pro game!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

So when you hover over someone's hero during picks with Dota plus, what do the numbers actually mean? It definitely doesn't seem to be the player's winrate with that hero. It said 48% or something for our safelane Pudge and I was inwardly groaning but then the versus screen said he's 15-3 with Pudge which his 30 kills definitely backed up.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

I believe the percentage is win rate with your hero .

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Your hero + pudge win rate? I thought it was win rate of pudge on my team in general but it's never really made sense that way numbers wise

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I assumed it was win rates given the current team comps at the current bracket.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Silencer on the other team today:

It did not go well for him.

Dunno how you have that record and remain in the dumpster

ZionestLord
Jan 9, 2010

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

think those count unranked matches as well

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Primal Beast ult is bugged and ends early atm

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

usually that kind of streak screams Smurf to me but maybe he’s just hammering turbo games

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

How do you get 50 games in with Silencer and still only Level 1 on the hero?

I suspect it is a smurf and maybe they just threw the game to keep their MMR where they want it maybe? Like almost 10:1 on your W:L doesn't sound legit...

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Sab669 posted:

How do you get 50 games in with Silencer and still only Level 1 on the hero?

I suspect it is a smurf and maybe they just threw the game to keep their MMR where they want it maybe? Like almost 10:1 on your W:L doesn't sound legit...

Recently subbed to dota plus after his account was done being smurfed. Why anyone cares what their rank/stats is in a game they clearly dont play and suck at is beyond me.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Can't you get up to Level 5 even without dota+?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yea it caps at level 5 without the subscription. Seems like it’d be difficult to get 49 wins on any hero without gaining a level, you get points just for winning even if you ignore the hero challenge.

Simply playing a game gets you 50xp and a win is another 50xp. So that’s 4950xp right there, which should get you to level 9, or 5 if no subscription.

Maybe the 49 wins were from before that was added to the game?

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
Do those pre-match stats include bot games and such?

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C95KbaCnmIY

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Would Lina in her current iteration be ruined if Fiery Soul stacks were dispellable?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Geight posted:

Would Lina in her current iteration be ruined if Fiery Soul stacks were dispellable?

That seems like an excessive nerf, but I don't think I have a great understanding of the meta so my opinion isn't backed by much besides divine tier games.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sounds like it'd dumpster her in higher skill games where people really know how to use Purge abilities, and not do anything in lower tier games.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Yeah that makes sense. I'm at the lower tier games myself so it wouldn't even really help me!

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Recently came back to the game after like four years without playing (and before that, played near-daily since 2009). Did my rankings, got placed in archon, have zero motivation to play pubs solo.

Maybe I'm expecting too much but I don't think you should be able to get 10,000 behaviour score if you absolutely refuse to communicate with your team. Every time I queue into a game, it's dead silence except for pings. Any map movements are impossible to coordinate. It's like people queue into the game already past the point of giving a poo poo whether they win or lose and just want to click creeps.

I think I just need a fuckin stack to play with

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah the extreme disinterest people have in communicating in this highly coordinated team game has always baffled me.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

People who have no interest mentioning their bkb is almost done, mangos are on the courier, or their ulti is almost up make the game hard.

I can barely play my hero and keep up with enemy items and timings. The least people could do is talk.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
join lljk in game. it's as active as ever.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I played my first game since 2013 the other day. This game has changed a lot, but the other team did ask us to report their NP so some things stay the same.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Rosh Vision is weird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OfpWYSy4_w

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

So many shenanigans happen on that little spot, it's the best

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

laughed at the "axe is calling" graphic lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
havent played or watched dota in a long time. watching some pgl vod now and they got nevermore safe? what the hell??? drat... the future is crazy

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
also the cm dog skin is cringe. what happened to valves "retain the silhouette" motif?? ??? fuckers

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

Smythe posted:

also the cm dog skin is cringe. what happened to valves "retain the silhouette" motif?? ??? fuckers

Oh they dropped that way back in 2016

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Oh they dropped that way back in 2016

Not sure :thejoke: about the arcana, but I'm pretty sure he's taking about the fursona.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That wasn't a joke? They are saying Valve gave up a long long time ago on skin "constraints"

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

Oh I thought he meant they dropped the skin in 2016, which in retrospect is probably before the arcana release. my bad.

I do miss the old at a glance philosophy, but admittedly the cosmetics were getting kinda samey. But back then you would get skins after games which I also miss.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

ILL Machina posted:

Oh I thought he meant they dropped the skin in 2016, which in retrospect is probably before the arcana release. my bad.

I do miss the old at a glance philosophy, but admittedly the cosmetics were getting kinda samey. But back then you would get skins after games which I also miss.

Frankly, it's not just about the cosmetics — when they moved the client over to 7.00 and redid the HUD, something else shifted within the game and how it's presented. I can't precisely put my finger on everything that changed, but it's extremely noticeable if you watch a replay from back in the day.

There's this mod that lets you play a 2014 build of the game, before Dota 2 Reborn dropped; the changes are extremely visible on there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLCFU3uayps

also, not a he

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

This is purely aesthetics, but I preferred the lighting and style of pre-Source 2.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

remember techies arcana's custom duck hunt dog style pop-up taunt whenever you got killed by mines (that even worked for rubick spellstolen mines)? stopped working after reborn, never fixed :gaben:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:staredog:

e;

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Frankly, it's not just about the cosmetics — when they moved the client over to 7.00 and redid the HUD, something else shifted within the game and how it's presented. I can't precisely put my finger on everything that changed, but it's extremely noticeable if you watch a replay from back in the day.

There's this mod that lets you play a 2014 build of the game, before Dota 2 Reborn dropped; the changes are extremely visible on there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLCFU3uayps

also, not a he

Yeah I tend to agree with you. There were a lot of graphical changes with modeling and the engine. Also yeah my bad. Should've they'd if anything. Good to meet you, Ms. Enjoyer.