Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Moonwalk!

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1943

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Fingerpori

I'm not 100% sure about the translation. I tried Googling it but couldn't find a conclusive answer on what if any the English version in common usage actually is, but the Finnish original was just "stays usable for a week after opening", a very common marking on yogurt pots etc. Good for a week? Keeps for a week? I guess "use within 7 days of opening" might be the actual marking but doesn't really work for the joke?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Selachian posted:

Bonus News Story! Further proof that horny teenagers have always been stupid.

I wish that the reporter had interrogated his initial plan of being shot three times. Why didn't he think a single bullet wound, or even two, would be enough?

Also, he presaged some great prestige TV.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Jul. 03, 1955)

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Kennel posted:

Mandrake

Tiny voice: "I am Tiny Olaf! Anyone bigger than me must follow me down the mountain by virtue of my magnetic personality!"

Mandrake: *sighs and cracks knuckles*

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Val's surprise is a top ten panel, look at the little details like his hair turning with his head

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

EBB posted:

Val's surprise is a top ten panel, look at the little details like his hair turning with his head

"Clever girl..."

B. Virtanen

ANSU

Fingerpori

A dark truth - a lot of Fingerpori strips are pretty traditional newspaper strips. I do like that the young robot has a bit of beard and electronic button pimples.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

Farley will never hear the river as it stalks up behind him.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Peanuts (January 31, 1976)

Miss Peach (July 15, 1989)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 30, 1939)

Out Our Way (December 9-11, 1940)

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

C'mon Mutts. This poo poo is embarrassing.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 03, 1955)

You can't fool me Foster, those are bison, not aurochs.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lunch

Pondus

Storefri

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

um,

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

His plan is to take care of the kid for like a decade to hopefully get the money if the kid doesn't get too independent by then.

I guess that's a plan.

I do seriously love this comic though. So far it's the new highlight of the thread for me.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Murdstone posted:

His plan is to take care of the kid for like a decade to hopefully get the money if the kid doesn't get too independent by then.

I guess that's a plan.

I do seriously love this comic though. So far it's the new highlight of the thread for me.

He does plan to dump the kid as soon as he gets paid but yeah, adopting him from his abusive stepmother and raising him seems like a pretty stand up thing to do for a villain. If he was really cunning he'd make a sincere effort at it and if Mike is deemed independent enough to get the inheritance then Mike will probably be pretty inclined to treat his adoptive father well.

quote:

Mark Trail

So the easy thing to do would be to mock the bad art and writing but I think the greater crime is spending a week of redundant strips stressing the danger of literally dozens of gators in a pile being within lunging distance and never drawing a single one actually making more than a territorial jaw opening at Mark. A bit more support for my theory that Jules can't actually draw animals. Two months of set up and then to not draw the red meat of the action.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Murdstone posted:

Pooch Cafe

I like it when Moo Mittens and the other cats are featured

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

I know we're supposed to identify with the girls and poo poo on Dustin along with them, but this is a true you-miss-100%-of-the-shots-you-don't-make situation for Dustin. Go ahead, show off your new jacket, a girl that would blow you off will blow you off no matter what you do, so you lose nothing by figuring that out fast. Go Dustin.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Doomykins posted:

So the easy thing to do would be to mock the bad art and writing but I think the greater crime is spending a week of redundant strips stressing the danger of literally dozens of gators in a pile being within lunging distance and never drawing a single one actually making more than a territorial jaw opening at Mark. A bit more support for my theory that Jules can't actually draw animals. Two months of set up and then to not draw the red meat of the action.

And really, the original premise of the storyline was potentially interesting. We're going to go hunt a cryptid! Cool! How do you go about looking for this cryptid? How are the kids getting along while this is happening? Let's learn something about swamp ecosystems and also maybe about how urban legends like mythical swamp creatures come to be! Do we even find the cryptid? Maybe Mark can find some other interesting endangered animal to blog about! How are the moms getting along back at base camp? Maybe they (the kids or the moms) run into some jewel thieves in the swamp or something!

But no. Jules gets bored almost instantly and throws a bunch of gators at the problem.

Luann

While Friend Code dictates that you at least tread carefully around the topic of having a thing for someone your friend has a thing for, Bernice gets the hots for every dude she meets. Also she hasn't thought about Piro in a few years. The statute of limitations has passed.

Gil Thorp

So GoComics recommended a comic to me that I haven't heard of before called Home Free. The overview on the site is tl;dr for a strip that only started last July, but the premise appears to be that a kid is camping in his back yard because the family home is always undergoing renovations and while he's back there he learns he can talk to animals. It updates three times a week. The art looks okay, so I guess I'll give it a try and we'll see how it is. Maybe I'll go back from the beginning if there's interest. Here's the last week, timg'd because these are big:

Home Free

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
The Antique Dealer’s Tale

Cthulhu and Girl

Um Bread

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

:same:

I mean, we've all been there.

Giant Ethicist posted:

The Antique Dealer’s Tale

God, just kiss her already!

quote:

Um Bread

Also: Bred comic good.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Feb 11, 1954)

Calvin and Hobbes (Dec 12-13, 1992)

Big Nate

DC Money
Feb 24, 2007
I'm a fancy lad.
As Q-rais himself said in the previous comic, dang them flying heads are creeeeepy!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 1/5-7/50

Archie 5/13-15/46

I like the raspberrying golf ball in the first panel.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I don't think Archie's gonna make the golf team

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Hippocrass posted:

I mean, we've all been there.

look again at his finger and what's getting poked in the mirror :ohdear:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Ok this one got a bit of a rough chuckle out of me.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Alhazred in the last thread posted:

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 29, 2023

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

When Dale Earnhardt Died, Did They Just Eat His Corpse Off The Pavement

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Some Guy TT posted:

I wanted to ask for an avatar-sized version, but I'm not sure it can be done without keeping her absurdly juxtaposed line intact.

Some Guy TT posted:

I really liked this panel from the penultimate Demons of Baseball update. Pity it's not avatar-sized.

Stultus Maximus posted:

I'm not that skilled and I've noticed that the few people who still do edits usually get passed by with no comment. It just doesn't seem to be what most people are reading for these days.
Yeah, the focus of the thread has definitely shifted. It used to be about posting and making fun of current strips, and has gradually shifted to the point where it's mostly about posting and enjoying old and foreign strips. The former led to a lot of edits, whereas the latter encourages more passive consumption. I miss the old version. I scroll right past most of what gets posted these days - especially stuff that's already been run through in its entirety at least once before.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Who was posting the Judge Parker catch-up strips? I keep wanting to read the comic again but I'm so far behind and I don't have archives access because Comics Kingdom sucks.
That's me. I haven't given up, I'm just really bad at keeping up with this thread lately.

kidcoelacanth posted:

we really don't say enough about how much legend of bill sucks
It is impossible to accurately express how much Legend of Bill sucks.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I like Randy and I like that he's doing Popeye but that is an S*P strip with the character designs switched out
They all are. I think some of the earlier ones were better but I suspect that, like Jules Rivera, he can't keep up with the deadline so he's half-arsing it. Except in his case that just means he's basically writing the comic he's been doing for decades and can churn out in his sleep.

Selachian posted:

There's only one person "Frankie" could be:

In the 40s, Sinatra was famous for making girls in his audience scream and swoon, hence the gag about his music making the pigs squeal.
Looking like that? :stare:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ajqN4Qf-bY

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (February 25, 2001)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

No Safe Havens on Sundays!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

I really like Pogo leaning back into the panel to holler about Toronto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Blueberry: The bourgeoisie are revolting. They're also protesting outside town hall!, or Clum gets a rude awakening, or Autopsies before refrigeration must have been a hell of a thing