Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Doctor Strange: Fall Sunrise #2

He has to fight for ten seconds before he can jump into the pit and he has to land on the ground within ten seconds after that. I don't think I can explain anything else about the plot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Did that guy just jump out of a butthole?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Badass panel.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

This is just a worse version of "But I don't want to cure cancer, I want to turn people into dinosaurs!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Push El Burrito posted:

This is why Doc Ock is the better villain because he's the dark reflection of Peter. A science nerd weakling who was given power through accident and went on a different path where he instead just did octopus themed crimes like robbing an ink store or stealing 8 cars.

I know you're probably just making a joke, but Doc Ock never did octopus themed crimes, he just did crimes, sometimes to fund research. I haven't read every single Doctor Octopus story, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't have the equivalent of Catwoman stealing a solid gold cat statue. He never stole the original of Dream of a Fisherman's Wife.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Otto was too busy being sad nerd crimes to do cool Octopus themed crimes, and that's why he's a Spider-Man villain and not a Batman villain

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

This is just a worse version of "But I don't want to cure cancer, I want to turn people into dinosaurs!"

Maybe Sidey thinks if he tries often enough, eventually one villain will agree and cure cancer.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Grendels Dad posted:

Maybe Sidey thinks if he tries often enough, eventually one villain will agree and cure cancer.

"Sure!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I could never take Doc Ock seriously as a villain because he traditionally has a pretty bad costume/look and I don't think I've ever seen a variant that actually made him look threatening.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

muscles like this! posted:

I could never take Doc Ock seriously as a villain because he traditionally has a pretty bad costume/look and I don't think I've ever seen a variant that actually made him look threatening.

It's the dangling legs. Makes him look like he's in a jolly jumper.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I was a fan of the suit variation but at some point you do just accept he does look, as Spidey has said, Roy Orbison's evil twin.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

He's very menacing!

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop
The best Doc Ock was the Into the Spiderverse one, IMO. An absolutely stellar reveal too.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Uthor posted:

I don't think I can explain anything else about the plot!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Push El Burrito posted:

This is why Doc Ock is the better villain because he's the dark reflection of Peter. A science nerd weakling who was given power through accident and went on a different path where he instead just did octopus themed crimes like robbing an ink store or stealing 8 cars.

This is why I still quite like the Superior Spider-Man stuff, on the whole. Shows of that Doc Ock could have walked a better path, and been a good man.. but even if he did, he'd still be a huge rear end in a top hat.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

skaianDestiny posted:

The best Doc Ock was the Into the Spiderverse one, IMO. An absolutely stellar reveal too.

aunt mays ex gf Liv

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

site posted:

aunt mays ex gf Liv

:hai:

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I vaguely recall someone arguing that the key to making Doc Ock threatening was for the artist to capture the kinetic feel of the arms. Some of the best examples depicted them as this chaotic tangle of steel that can strike from nearly any direction simultaneously.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

glitchwraith posted:

I vaguely recall someone arguing that the key to making Doc Ock threatening was for the artist to capture the kinetic feel of the arms. Some of the best examples depicted them as this chaotic tangle of steel that can strike from nearly any direction simultaneously.

Erik Larsen was pretty good at that, even if it was part of his weird slap fight with Peter David through the 90's.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Push El Burrito posted:

He's very menacing!

Professor X was always a villain I see

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

glitchwraith posted:

Any examples?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Oh see I always like when he himself is just standing there relaxing or looking vaguely menacing and then the tentacles are doing stuff like lighting his cigar or pouring him a scotch.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Uthor posted:

Doctor Strange: Fall Sunrise #2

He has to fight for ten seconds before he can jump into the pit and he has to land on the ground within ten seconds after that. I don't think I can explain anything else about the plot!

hype. i love tradd moore

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I just finished his Luther Strode series the other day and Tradd Moore rules so much. The action choreography and panel usage and the weight and energy of everything is awesome. Potentially disturbing if you're not used to illustrated gore, though.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

skaianDestiny posted:

Any examples?

Had to do some digging. Thankfully, Dawgstar correctly attributed it to Erik Larsen, as I could not recall which artist had been discussed.

Granted, it's not realistic in the slightest, but kind of works on the "rule of cool" level. Also still goofy, but less so than the low bar of previous depictions.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
There's been at least one depiction of Doctor Octopus where he himself was in a long coat and was usually in shadow, whereas the tentacles were always lit like they were in full sunlight, that I thought was pretty creepy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean his debut scene in Spider man 2 is a pretty great one for making him look intimidating

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean his debut scene in Spider man 2 is a pretty great one for making him look intimidating

Easy to be intimidating when your debut is Sam Raimi hearkening back to his horror roots.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Wanderer posted:

There's been at least one depiction of Doctor Octopus where he himself was in a long coat and was usually in shadow, whereas the tentacles were always lit like they were in full sunlight, that I thought was pretty creepy.

On the one hand I loving love long coats on villains and think that every villain looks cooler just by wearing a long coat.

On the other hands, Doc Ock will always look weird in any kind of coat or jacket because it just makes you wonder how all that works out with the four huge af arms attached to his back.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Laura Branigan is badass. (Detective Comics 587, Grant/Wagner/Greyfogle)

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

scary ghost dog posted:

hype. i love tradd moore

I've never realised how much his work reminds me of Brendan McCarthy - they both do other worldly weirdness and chaos really well.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Moon Knight #18: MK and Tigra just crashed a party hosted by a bunch of vampires

Taking a page from the Keanu Reeves Constantine playbook

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Holy water in the sprinkler system, gets em every time.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Moon Knight is great, there are many moments of "I'm a mean bastard"

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
why is Taskmaster afraid of him? uncounterable "random bullshit go!" moves or something else?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Goa Tse-tung posted:

why is Taskmaster afraid of him? uncounterable "random bullshit go!" moves or something else?

Several direct reasons resulting from times they fought in the past but mostly that moon knight fights like he doesnt give a poo poo whether he lives or not.

Same run of moon knight, #16

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Moon Knight did a real number on him back in the Huston/Finch days, which was when he was ripping off peoples' faces.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Moon Knight doesn't bother to dodge punches, he just gets hit.
Copying his fighting style means Taskmaster gets hurt and he doesn't like that.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Moon Knight did a real number on him back in the Huston/Finch days, which was when he was ripping off peoples' faces.

Naruto run engage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Moon Knight is the level of crazy that you can't out-crazy. Not if you want to still be alive afterwards.