Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Which could also be outsourced to the thread as part of thread participation. I'm sure some goons would love to create their own narratives from whatever results pop up!

Pretty sure stuff like this has been done here before successfully, so I see no issue with this being posted here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Mega64 posted:

Which could also be outsourced to the thread as part of thread participation. I'm sure some goons would love to create their own narratives from whatever results pop up!

Pretty sure stuff like this has been done here before successfully, so I see no issue with this being posted here.

Yeah this is largely what happened last time - I can always link it in the SAS thread(s) of relevance to capture some baseball folk too.

Hopefully the baseball gods are kind to the goons.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Here's a test OP for the LP. Do let me know if you guys have any feedback, or any glaring omissions or questions. I will also make a post for all the players, notable records, or anything else fun.

More than a few years ago now, Icephoenix made a great thread in which goons created a prospect in OOTP and he simmed 20-30 years later to see what came of their careers. They got drafted, and most of them failed horribly or were exceedingly mediocre, but a few had great careers and put up legendary numbers.

I did the same thing with OOTP16, and goons had a wonderful time. They created some... unique players, got drafted, made it to the majors, retired, and even made the Hall of Fame! (as a reliever no less!)

We also had some fun watching weird baseball poo poo happen, like the Cubs winning the World Series (prescient!), the MLB expanding to Memphis/Austin, players being revived or being destroyed by injuries contrary to real life, Hall of Fame votes, and so on! Even if your player is a bust, or takes time to develop, we can have fun seeing the bizarre world of OOTP simulations and the silly (slightly) immersive stories it creates.

Okay but, what the hell is OOTP?

A glorified excel sheet with a baseball skin. But also, the single best sports simulation game that exists.

In OOTP you manage a baseball team - either as manager, GM, or commissioner (or just let the AI play). In this capacity you draft players, manage rosters, and even make game-level decisions if you so wish. The game models the development and play of the entire league, with whatever degree of complexity you'd like.

It's also deeply customizable - we will be playing with the real MLB teams, but you can do historical leagues, foreign leagues (like the NPB, Winter Leagues), or even an entirely fictional league of your choosing. Want to make a league in England? Want a global communist league? Go for it!

The rules are also similarly customizable, down to the minutiae of baseball contracts and arbitration, as well as factors for player development and injury.

So what does that look like?

Here's an example of a particularly renowned player, Mike Trout. The game shows his salary, awards, personality, and various ratings. I'll probably get hell for this, but I like to play with ratings ranging from 1-100, with 100 being super elite (and anything above being even more phenomenal), and 1 being absolute garbage.

You'll notice the numbers are represented as x/y. The first number is their realized stat, and the second their potential. Prospects like your players will have stats that show high potential - but that may or may not be realized. They may start as 30/100, but as they develop, settle around 80/80. Maybe they even improve! It's a gamble and the result of many factors, from injury, to good coaches, to just plain luck.

Keep in mind that as commissioner, I will be using the default scout, and not know the true values of these things. So there is even uncertainty about our current information.

If you want to learn more about what the ratings actually do, this link has a breakdown from the manual, for links to what each individual rating actually signifies. I'll gladly elaborate on any weirdness in the game that comes up, but the OOTP manual is pretty good at explaining the basic game level questions.

So... what would we actually do?

The main thing I'd like is for goons to create players. After some players are created, we throw them into the Amateur Draft in waves of no more than a dozen per year.

The amateur draft is held yearly in the MLB, with the lowest performing teams from the previous season drafting first. Teams can trade their picks, but once made, players can then choose to sign with a team or decline. Sometimes they decline or negotiate for a bigger "signing bonus," sometimes they hold out for a better draft position later, or sometimes they just want to go to college. That's determined in part by your player's personality.

And we will definitely be keeping track of who makes the most bank.

Will you upload the players' stats and whatnot online like last time?

I may or may not depending on if I can get hosting going again. Stay tuned for that one.

This sounds fun, what do you need me to do?

It's pretty simple - just make a post filling out the template below, with a few important caveats.

Here's the player creation screen:

First, I will roll a d20 to determine your player quality. It's not as fun if EVERYONE is a super legend, but also wouldn't be fun if half of you were shmucks who never made it at all. The lowest possible outcome will be good - that still has a solid chance of making it. Above it is star, and lastly legend, which is all but a guarantee to make the majors eventually, barring tragedy.

I will also set everyone as young (18-21) and 50% developed. That way most of you will make it in before too long, but there's still time to excel or flop.

You will, however, choose the rest.

Player Template

Name: First and Last
Nickname: Leave blank if you want the default/random one that the game assigns you if you get skilled enough
Position: What position do you want to play? To start, at least choose a fielding position for batters, a starting pitcher, or a relief pitcher.
Player Type: Think of this as a specialization. Do you want a power hitter? Basestealer? TTO guy? Knuckleballer? Ultra fielder? All around? Random? I can do most things, and tweak things a bit toward whatever it is you want, but it’s still up to the fates whether it’ll pan out.
Nationality/Hometown: Where are they from?
Number: What number do they use (everyone probably will ask for 69, technically the game allows more than 2 digits)
Height and Weight: Pure flavor but the game lists it a lot.
Appearance: Any rough description, or post a portrait and I can add it to the game! It makes baseball cards out of it that show off awards and stats, so it's worth doing.

Example Template:

Name: Josef Stalin
Nickname: "Gulag"
Position: Starting Pitcher (SP)
Player Type: High velocity fastball pitcher
Nationality/Hometown: Gori, Georgia
Number: 420
Height and Weight: 5'4", 143 lbs
Appearance:

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Wait, Georgia, or Georgia?

( :justpost: )

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
I have a question for The Dark ID, if he ever comes back: Do you have more appreciation for the original Drakenguard after everything that has happened?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

samcarsten posted:

I have a question for The Dark ID, if he ever comes back: Do you have more appreciation for the original Drakenguard after everything that has happened?

I'm not TDI (obviously) but I did 100% Drakengard before the LP, so maybe what I have to say is interesting.

In a word, no. The original Drakengard is a terrible game. It's best to experience it in an LP because then you get to see all of the interesting parts without having to actually play it yourself. None of the LPs have ever conveyed just how boring and grindy the actual gameplay is and how much of it there is between the story beats. And you also don't appreciate just how uninteresting the early parts of the story are unless someone's told you that it's going places.

It's really fascinating to see what they've built after it, and I never would've predicted any of it. But the game's a mess, and no amount of sequels or retcons is going to fix that.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Wow, the old New LP thread was almost 8 years old. Also, is it against the rules to announce someone else's LP if they didn't do so already?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The etiquette there is definitely a bit weird. If they haven't posted their LP in that thread making a post in their own thread to remind them to do so is probably the polite thing to do instead.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Not really, but the protocol would be to ask them to do it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I would feel honored if someone announced my thread for me, cause it shows that someone else is reading it \:unsmith:/

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Leal posted:

I would feel honored if someone announced my thread for me, cause it shows that someone else is reading it \:unsmith:/

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Leal posted:

Same. It's always nice to know that someone cares about something you spent time and energy creating.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

idly considering posting in the new lp announcement thread with no lp just so i can be the first one to be probed for it

but, like, idk, while i love grabbing all the vanity/comedy sixers i can, maybe i shouldn't clutter up an actually useful thread

in conclusion mods please probate me for this post instead, thank you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

dont do it

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

biosterous posted:

idly considering posting in the new lp announcement thread with no lp just so i can be the first one to be probed for it

but, like, idk, while i love grabbing all the vanity/comedy sixers i can, maybe i shouldn't clutter up an actually useful thread

in conclusion mods please probate me for this post instead, thank you

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

thank you dan!

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

how do you successfully fight the urge to not pull the trigger on starting a new LP until you're close to the end of the one you already have going

because i made the mistake of starting the next one to have something to do as a break in between working on updates but now i just want to start that one too and do both :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mix. posted:

how do you successfully fight the urge to not pull the trigger on starting a new LP until you're close to the end of the one you already have going

By reminding myself how much work one LP is and how much less time I'd have for fun stuff if I have two running. :v:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mix. posted:

because i made the mistake of starting the next one to have something to do as a break in between working on updates but now i just want to start that one too and do both :v:

if you're me, you mostly just don't

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Mix. posted:

By having two running already, technically. What, am I going to start a third?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I think the most I had running concurrent was five at one point. I stand by the :justpost: mentality

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
It helped that when I was running multiple LPs side by side, they were of two completely different games, and the workflow for both were different, meaning I could better mentally compartmentalize them and keep them from messing with each other.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Mix. posted:

Hide the second LP inside the one you’re currently doing somehow. :v:

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

Mix. posted:

I can usually dissuade myself based on eventual length of LP + how much else I've already got going on. If not, doing a test first update usually gives me the idea I should probably wait, or just playing the game itself some more on its own to see if my interest in the idea holds. I realize my circumstances are maybe a bit different though.

...So says I, the person with 3 LPs presently in limbo and I already don't post as often as I wish I did (i am getting to them i swear- i've got better tools and script extracts for all of them). :v:

The funny thing is that the one LP I've still got running was the most :justpost: one of all of them, resulting from a bad decision + a sleep deprived Python coding bender. It just has the lowest workload of any of my SSLP work and was the only one I could keep doing through health issues.

... And yet I too, similarly have an LP on the tip of my... post button? It is something I do want to LP at some point, but I also realize the urge is mostly from wanting to do a casual replay of the game soon anyways. One part of my brain thinks it'd be great multitasking or something to combine the two. Maybe it thinks that because I've extracted and formatted the raw script for it already, it'll be any less of a bad idea.

It is a shortish LP though. Maybe. Possibly? I'll be honest, I'm 1 for 5 in the "correctly determining LP workload" department. I should stop now before I somehow wrap around into convincing myself to do it.

At least the short list of games absolutely on the list for me to eventually LP are held back by more than just self control (need to actually finish/give a while since finishing).

TeeQueue posted:

i've considered it

berryjon posted:

It helped that when I was running multiple LPs side by side, they were of two completely different games, and the workflow for both were different, meaning I could better mentally compartmentalize them and keep them from messing with each other.

From my limited experience, this does help somewhat, yeah. Keeps it a bit fresher.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TeeQueue posted:

this has been my method for the Dash thread

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
One LP usually consumes about 50% of my spare time as it is, I couldn't imagine managing to squeeze a second one in there without both slowing to a crawl, and unfinished projects drive me insane.

MetaMeme
Apr 30, 2017

You may boorishly refer to it as "Pickpocketing", but I prefer "Urban Foraging".

Odd Wilson posted:

...So says I, the person with 3 LPs presently in limbo

you can actually just take a year hiatus without explaining where you went, it's fine

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

TeeQueue posted:

In their recent XCOM 2 DLC LP, for some reason or another Jade and Guava decided to also LP Outer Wilds and Contradiction as a kind of occasional interlude thing. I don't think they've got time before the game is over to fit a whole entire game in there, but three LPs in one thread is still pretty good.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

MetaMeme posted:

you can actually just take a year hiatus without explaining where you went, it's fine

Spirit Armor will be back any day now!

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

I'm doing two at once because I was finishing the first run of Extra and still had two full playthroughs to cover, so I needed something to keep me focused as I did the exact same stuff multiple times.

Just a few more weeks till that's over, thank god.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
I decided to start doing two concurrent LPs for several different reasons. I found myself posting three or four updates while only doing one LP and I felt like that became a bit too much for a VLP.

I mainly do adventure games and there usually isn't a lot of preparation needed for them so I can usually record, edit and upload a video in the space of an hour if all goes well.

But at the same time, I like to record additional footage in games. Some games don't have a lot of extra material to offer but some have huge quantities, material which is time consuming to get to or requires replaying numerous times to dig through them all.

Having a second LP going means I can ease up the flow of the first and it keeps things fresh for me as well as I get to play through two interesting games at the same time. It also helps that after spending a couple of hours recording additional material for one LP, which can be tedious and frustrating at times, I can go back to the other LP and chill out with something straightforward before jumping back into material mining again.

I have been thinking about starting up an SSLP as well but that may push me over the edge. I've only ever finished one SSLP and that was for April Fool's day a couple of years ago. I'm toying with the idea of doing some hybrid LPs in the near future though.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 29, 2023

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

i wanted to rewatch Malorie's Alone in the Dark LPs but it seems the videos are down, is there any chance to recover them?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Petiso posted:

i wanted to rewatch Malorie's Alone in the Dark LPs but it seems the videos are down, is there any chance to recover them?

Go to https://lparchive.org/Alone-in-the-Dark/

Click here

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Whoops, can't believe I missed that :doh: Thanks.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Man, Malorie was good people. Hope they are doing well these days.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Petiso posted:

Whoops, can't believe I missed that :doh: Thanks.

Don't worry, you're not the first and won't be the last :unsmith:

samcarsten
Sep 13, 2022

by vyelkin
shouldn't somebody throw all those back up on youtube somewhere? Theres a bunch on the lp archive no longer available except on archive.org

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Uploading other peoples' videos to YouTube without their permission is a pretty sketchy idea.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Indeed. And also, I don't think there's any reason to expect archive.org to disappear.

In fact, it is one of the most complete sources of abandonware games these days.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Underneath he has a velvet, yummy tummy you wish you could just stroke and squish all day! Ahh! But on top... On top it's a whole different story... On top he is a scary stiff stabber!
Some people decide to delete their youtube channel for personal reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

If anything I’d argue that things being only on YouTube is the issue given that they could erase entire blocks of video for their own reasons