Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

tbh i was expecting him to get rammed by the stag in the third clip as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Carthag Tuek posted:

tbh i was expecting him to get rammed by the stag in the third clip as well

Yeah that as a perfect example of subverting the rule of three.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I just assumed the same deer had been chasing them across half the map for hours

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/BATHSmusic/status/1618531273592688641

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

hell,

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Final Fantasy XIV:

Cleretic posted:

Meanwhile, in Omega Ultimate: It turns out teams are wiping to a damage race element because Hello World floods them with so many debuffs that it causes some characters to hit the cap of buffs/debuffs a character can have. And if they hit that cap, further buffs and debuffs just won't get applied.

Which is almost definitely a bug, but also feels like exactly an Omega mechanic.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Posted before about NFS Unbound graphical glitches and I'm certain at this point that the game is to blame:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqwTEOuz0VE

Zero issues in any other games.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Posted before about NFS Unbound graphical glitches and I'm certain at this point that the game is to blame:

Definitely in "feature, not a bug" territory with that one.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Dareon posted:

Final Fantasy XIV:

We used a similar bug in Everquest. Everyone would have instant-cast buff items that they would spam to override debuffs from raid bosses. Also a fun way to troll the main tank as a druid (lovely regen spells and damage shields for everyone!)

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

The final fantasy thing isn't a glitch really. It's a known limit that's existed for a long time and has been changed in the past, this is just a very rare instance where people are running up against it in 8-player content.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

That was a known issue early on in WoW's lifetime, too. Instead of simply failing to apply, though, older buffs would get overwritten. This lead to us healers being cautioned not to use heal over time spells on the tanks as that might push off a pivotal buff and get them splatted.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Pile Of Garbage posted:

:catdrugs: only car drugs.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Pile Of Garbage posted:

stop giving your computer bong hits Garbo, Windows wasn't built for that!

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Magic: The Gathering Arena has a limit on how many creatures can be in play, for practical reasons. In older versions, every identical copy of a creature was report to the server as a unique object. Then they added Scute Swarm, a card that doubles the number of copies of itself in play every time you get a land. The massive packets being sent were dragging down all of their servers, so they had to change the netcode to deal with 200 identical tokens in play.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yup, that’ll happen when you introduce a doubling mechanic on something with no limit. If you’re not very careful players will find a way to break it.

In Hearthstone there are various ways to get cards attack or health infinitely high through stuff like that. There is in fact a limit though, if you go above 2,147,483,647 it will overflow back to 0. This is because it’s the max 32 bit integer value

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Guess that is why it is the limit in Marvel Snap as well.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Bynx_Plays/status/1585435323575713793

They have since changed the card Onslaught, so you might no longer be able to reach that number.
"[...]the all-powerful Onslaught, who can put big power numbers on the board thanks his ability to double other cards’ ongoing effects, gets a major adjustment. Onslaught’s ability now stacks additionally (instead of exponentially) with effects from cards like Mystique or locations like Onslaught’s Citadel."

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 11:17 on Jan 28, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Chamale posted:

Magic: The Gathering Arena has a limit on how many creatures can be in play, for practical reasons. In older versions, every identical copy of a creature was report to the server as a unique object. Then they added Scute Swarm, a card that doubles the number of copies of itself in play every time you get a land. The massive packets being sent were dragging down all of their servers, so they had to change the netcode to deal with 200 identical tokens in play.

warcraft 2 had a max of i think 255 units are & barracks etc just didnt spawn anything once you hit it (but it still cost resources/time)

i dont remember if it were global but it would be pretty funny if you could just max out with cheap units and the other player couldnt do anything. probably it was per player, i do remember killing my own peons to buff up before an attack so i could max out lol

~ogre rush ftw~

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I remember with Warcraft 1, before the game started it would let you choose what units you and your opponent started with.

Independently. Also you would make your choice and then it would go to your opponent who could then make a choice and then it would come back to you, until both players check the "yes I am okay with this" box.

These were also the days that if you were playing a game with someone remotely it was by modem, which meant you couldn't call them on the phone because your phone was tied up also there was no chat box and we were all very young with no concept of etiquette so it was mostly just ping pong "no,*I* start with 20 catapults!!"

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!

Carthag Tuek posted:

warcraft 2 had a max of i think 255 units are & barracks etc just didnt spawn anything once you hit it (but it still cost resources/time)

Reminds me of the original Starcraft with a similar problem. It had a limit of total entities on the game, I don't know what the number was, certainly higher than 255, but I doubt it was 32k so idk how whatever the limit was was defined. If enough already existed new units couldn't spawn, and, more amusingly to me, units that had projectile attacks couldn't attack because the game couldnt spawn their projectiles.

Always amusing to watch a giant swarm of mutalisks fly up to a building or opposing army and just kind of start hovering near it because they can't attack.

Another Blizzard game with a similar problem, Diablo 2 would just plain crash if enough monsters spawned in a certain area. Normally not a problem since the limit was far, far, above what would typically be spawned by the level generator. But could be caused by a few of the enemies that spawned new enemies. Like the blood maggots in act 2. Way back when I was new to the game and didn't know how to make effective characters I often played necromancers who couldn't kill very quickly but also didn't really die due to my own army of protectors and would just stalemate against the blood maggots until the game crashed.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
My memories of playing Warcraft II with my friend growing up was a lot of NO MOM DON'T PICK UP THE PHONE I TOLD YOU OH NOOOOOOO

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The Final Fantasy 6 any% speedrun involves dying 52 times in a row just outside the first town, and then a frame-perfect button press to trigger the credits.

(It's a memory corruption glitch of some sort, apparently)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
iirc the game over in ff6 pushes one more thing onto the stack than it ends up removing, so after enough game overs you end up overwriting something important and the game farts

could be wrong though

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zamujasa posted:

iirc the game over in ff6 pushes one more thing onto the stack than it ends up removing, so after enough game overs you end up overwriting something important and the game farts

could be wrong though
Yep, that's it. The stack gets cleared if you go into any location from the world map, though, so it's unlikely to come up in normal gameplay.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The new Dead Space remake is mostly great, but I've been having some occasional glitches where the models for zombies and stuff don't visibly spawn in for a couple seconds after they're supposed to. But this is the first time I've had a door open and the level just wasn't there yet:

https://i.imgur.com/JHqgdkw.mp4

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Captain Hygiene posted:

The new Dead Space remake is mostly great, but I've been having some occasional glitches where the models for zombies and stuff don't visibly spawn in for a couple seconds after they're supposed to. But this is the first time I've had a door open and the level just wasn't there yet:

I seem to remember encountering that in the original game. Honestly it kinda adds to the atmosphere, like the insanity effects in Eternal Darkness.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

I seem to remember encountering that in the original game. Honestly it kinda adds to the atmosphere, like the insanity effects in Eternal Darkness.

Yeah, I honestly sorta love it sometimes. Another entertaining one was the intro necromorph fight, it didn't spawn at first so the dude is just lying there getting mauled by a ghost (warning: gross :zombie:):

https://i.imgur.com/m2qN93B.mp4

Discussion in a games thread said it probably was related to not using an SDD, so I have moved it onto one, somewhat sadly.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
The necro jumped out of that guy

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Discussion in a games thread said it probably was related to not using an SDD, so I have moved it onto one, somewhat sadly.

Yeah that's definitely stuff just not loading in time

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

I had that happen in Horizon Forbidden West when I fast traveled to the base and got to the door too quickly. It did open and let me through, though, only for me to plummet into an empty abyss for a bit before dying.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, I honestly sorta love it sometimes. Another entertaining one was the intro necromorph fight, it didn't spawn at first so the dude is just lying there getting mauled by a ghost (warning: gross :zombie:):

https://i.imgur.com/m2qN93B.mp4

Yeah, a friend of mine had the same problem and it got solved once they put it on a SSD. In one instance it actually broke the game entirely, because key quest items just didn't spawn in at all even after repeated reloads.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah that's definitely stuff just not loading in time

Yeah, this is probably one of the first games (to my knowledge) that's come to PC that's only on the current generation of consoles, not the PS4/Xbone.
The current consoles use SSDs, so games are getting built around faster load times.

You're probably going to see more of this going forwards if you install games that rely on fast loading/streaming to an HDD.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The game literally tells you in a big pop up the first time you start it "Hey, this game is for SSDs only, there can and will be bugs if you play it on an HDD".

at least it did for me

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

HenryEx posted:

The game literally tells you in a big pop up the first time you start it "Hey, this game is for SSDs only, there can and will be bugs if you play it on an HDD".

at least it did for me

lol gamers listening to the warnings
Real Yakuza use a gamepad

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Veotax posted:

You're probably going to see more of this going forwards if you install games that rely on fast loading/streaming to an HDD.

Yeah at this point my HDD is slowly turning into 'old game storage', especially since Steam made it easier to swap games between storage.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Croccers posted:

Real Yakuza use an SSD

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Due to a glitch in Pokemon crashing the game, a streamers pet fish exposed their credit card information and bought eShop items.

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1618041923113189376?t=b517cG3xDTC9EFjF2HVjPA&s=19

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I don't think my phishing training prepared me for that. :staredog:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

HenryEx posted:

at least it did for me

Yeah, that's what made me question the cause when the issues started popping up, I'm not even deep enough on the tech side to consciously remember I have two separate drives 95% of the time. But also yeah, I've got games to play, I'm not gonna let some dumb warning get in my way.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Croccers posted:

lol gamers listening to the warnings
Real Yakuza use a gamepad

I actually listened to that cause it's objectively correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Yeah I can be a mouse and keyboard grognard but even I know when it's time to grab a controller