Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Well if it's racism you're looking for, British shows from the 70s are the loving motherlode.

No matter how bad you think they are - they're worse.

I remember when I first learned about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_and_White_Minstrel_Show and how it was on the BBC for twenty years.. I thought "that can't possibly be real" and holy poo poo I was wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Vandar posted:

I went to look up Sinfest out of morbid curiosity (wanting to see how much worse it's got since the last time I've looked) and the newest comic features Pepe.

Goddamn I hate that stupid frog and I want to smack anyone who says 'IT'S BEEN RECLAIMED' right in the back of their head.

Sinfest is impressive levels of brainworms.

Though not surprised about Megatokyo going into the transphobia as well, a key thing among a certain Type of Guy mentally stuck in the 90s/00s is casual objectification of women (under thin veneers of ideas they consider progressive and/or fun) basically as a substitute for a personality. The idea that there may be women who do not meet their sexual preferences is seen as a personal attack.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I don't think Megatokyo went to the transphobia well, I just think they were mixing it up with Sinfest.

If Megatokyo did go that way, I can't find anything at all about it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Edit: This is a from few years after, but I just remembered that in The Boys the superhero team almost prevented 9/11 only to negligently reroute one of the hijacked planes to hit the Brooklyn Bridge instead of the Twin Towers.
No they didn't! ...well yes they flew the plane into the Bridge, but the other planes in NYC got shot down by the military on the president's orders before the vice president brained him with a fire extinguisher to be able to order the supes to take down the last plane

weirdly I just realized that the Pentagon plane is never mentioned

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Vandar posted:

I don't think Megatokyo went to the transphobia well, I just think they were mixing it up with Sinfest.

If Megatokyo did go that way, I can't find anything at all about it.

Yeah that was just me realizing those were two different things. Like goon face blindness but for bad web comics.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Snackmar posted:

I remember when I first learned about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Black_and_White_Minstrel_Show and how it was on the BBC for twenty years.. I thought "that can't possibly be real" and holy poo poo I was wrong

Holy gently caress this is bad.

Wikipedia posted:

David Hendy, Professor of Media and Cultural History at Sussex University, comments that Barrie Thorne, the corporation's chief accountant, described the series in an internal memo to Director of Television Kenneth Adam in 1962 as being "a disgrace and an insult to coloured people". He continued: "If black faces are to be shown, for heaven’s sake let coloured artists be employed and with dignity".[12] Thorne raised the issue again in 1967 with Oliver Whitley, Chief Assistant to the BBC's director general Sir Hugh Greene. Whitley responded: "The best advice that could be given to coloured people by their friends would be: 'On this issue, we can see your point, but in your own best interests, for heaven's sake, shut up.'"[12][13][14]

In 1967, the Campaign Against Racial Discrimination presented a petition to the BBC calling for the show to be cancelled.[15] In 1968, the BBC experimented with a version of the show called Masquerade, where the main singers appeared without blackface and the black singers wore whiteface.[16] In 1969, due to continuing accusations of racism, Music Music Music, a spin-off series in which the minstrels appeared without their blackface make-up, replaced The Black and White Minstrel Show. However, after one series, The Black and White Minstrel Show returned.

Since its cancellation in 1978, The Black and White Minstrel Show has come to be seen widely as a disgrace. BBC writer Kate Broome states, "That an innocently-intentioned show could, in just a generation, become such a screen pariah is one of the most extraordinary episodes in television history".[17]

People were fighting against this show in 1962, and it ran until 1978.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Now do "Love Thy Neighbour"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

k

quote:

Since 1972, when Love Thy Neighbour was first transmitted, it has been criticised for its poor handling of issues of racism. It was made in an era when Britain was struggling to come to terms with mass immigration, and Love Thy Neighbour was said to exemplify those difficulties.[2] According to writer Sarita Malik, this meant "comedies about race" were really about "blacks signifying trouble" so that consequently "if the White characters did display prejudice, this was deemed funny or understandable given the 'difficulty of the situation'."[3]

So "All in the Family" but worse.

quote:

Its writers stated that each episode included both anti-white and anti-black sentiment.[4]
Fyi when someone does the "both sides" thing to racism, they're lying, ignorant, or stupid.... and they're usually not stupid or ignorant, especially in media. Presenting racism as just a "misunderstanding" where "everyone starts on the same footing" is a very toxic belief that is knowingly perpetuated.

quote:

In Malik's opinion, in this "mutual racism", racist attitudes were "shown as a reciprocal, inevitable and petty process" rather than being faced with any challenge.[3] As a result, academic Nora Plesske maintains that the premise continued without any change in attitudes or permanent resolution of the conflict.[5]

A very British way of saying "This show sucked and accomplished nothing. If anything it did a lot of harm."

quote:

The views of the main white male character (Eddie Booth, played by Jack Smethurst) were presented so as to make him appear ignorant and bigoted and were contrasted with the more tolerant attitude of his wife. "In nearly every show, the white neighbour was shown to be wrong", Rudolph Walker wrote in 2001.[1] A contemporary reviewer in the Daily Mirror, Mary Malone, believed "the only characters who leave the screen with their dignity intact are the blacks. Now that's what I call prejudice."[6]

So absolutely "All in the Family" but worse.

quote:

The main male black character (Bill Reynolds, played by Walker) was better educated, although also stubborn and capable of using insulting phrases, such as the terms "Honky", "Snowflake", "Paleface" or "Big White Chief" to describe his white neighbour (often in response to being called "nig-nog" or "Sambo"). The comedy invariably fixated on the "Blackness" of Bill and Barbie or rather, as Malik expressed it, "television's interpretation of Blackness (limbo-dancing, voodoo/Black magic)."[3] Other black stereotypes, such as regular references to cannibalism from the first episode onwards, became a running joke.[7]

Shitheads and making false equivocations about things that have very different connotative history, the definitive combo platter.

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

quote:

(often in response to being called "nig-nog" or "Sambo")

I don't mind racially charged comedy, but you know, comedy usually contains jokes.

Where's the joke in here? What is the funny bit?

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

mind the walrus posted:

A contemporary reviewer in the Daily Mirror, Mary Malone, believed "the only characters who leave the screen with their dignity intact are the blacks. Now that's what I call prejudice.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

DACK FAYDEN posted:

No they didn't! ...well yes they flew the plane into the Bridge, but the other planes in NYC got shot down by the military on the president's orders before the vice president brained him with a fire extinguisher to be able to order the supes to take down the last plane

weirdly I just realized that the Pentagon plane is never mentioned

My bad. It's been a few years since I've read it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Fish of hemp posted:

I don't mind racially charged comedy, but you know, comedy usually contains jokes.

Where's the joke in here? What is the funny bit?

The joke is that it's "banter" and "haha we're all equal right wink wink" because "both sides" "have words that mean [bad]" wink wink wink wink wink lol

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
It Ain't Half Hot Mum was pretty bad

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Rochallor posted:

0. drat this art is bad.
1. Dr. Doom wouldn't care.
2. Kingpin might sort of care as a New Yorker.
3. At some points in his life Magneto might care, but in 2001 he was three years away from opening death camps for humans in Central Park.

I'm not a comics guy but surely Doom has canonically done stuff that's objectively worse than 9/11, right?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm not a comics guy but surely Doom has canonically done stuff that's objectively worse than 9/11, right?

Almost certainly.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Including at least attempting to launch high profile NYC skyscrapers into space.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Is making a woman fall in love with you, then magically skinning her and turning her skin into a skin suit count as more or less worse objectively?

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Randalor posted:

Is making a woman fall in love with you, then magically skinning her and turning her skin into a skin suit count as more or less worse objectively?

Was she American?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Was she American?

Latvarian, and I misremembered, she was actually Dr Doom's first and only girlfriend, not someone currently in love with him. But still magically flayed and turned into a skin suit.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Moon Monster posted:

The only plausible defence for Crying Doom is that as a rule Doom doesn't do things without a reason. He's utterly ruthless and he'll kill without qualm to reach his goals, but killing people has never really been his goal. He's too much the megalomaniac to want less people alive for him to rule over.

That said, an alternate explanation is that he's upset because he wanted to do it.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

He was going to turn the towers into big death rays and aim them directly at the Baxter building to destroy that fool Richards once and for all and he was just upset that his plans were foiled.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I’ve always figured the explanation was that Doom is a fictional character with fictional schemes that impact fictional people. In that comic, the character of Doctor Doom is breaking the fourth wall and reacting to the real life tragedy that cost actual people their lives.

Whether you think that’s in good taste or not is a different matter, of course.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

The only plausible defence for Crying Doom is that as a rule Doom doesn't do things without a reason. He's utterly ruthless and he'll kill without qualm to reach his goals, but killing people has never really been his goal. He's too much the megalomaniac to want less people alive for him to rule over.

That said, an alternate explanation is that he's upset because he wanted to do it.

Yeah, depending on the author Doom would have been upset, but more in the sense of pledging to rain death and destruction on the perpetrators than bawling in the middle of NYC.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Phylodox posted:

I’ve always figured the explanation was that Doom is a fictional character with fictional schemes that impact fictional people. In that comic, the character of Doctor Doom is breaking the fourth wall and reacting to the real life tragedy that cost actual people their lives.

Whether you think that’s in good taste or not is a different matter, of course.

Yes we've known that for 22 years. It's just good fun because there's literally nothing else to be done with it other than laugh at how mawkish and stupid it is.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Randalor posted:

Latvarian, and I misremembered, she was actually Dr Doom's first and only girlfriend, not someone currently in love with him. But still magically flayed and turned into a skin suit.

So no

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I always figued that maybe there were Latverian diplomatic offices and staff in there..? Doom used to be depicted doing a lot of government-y stuff in NYC and waving around his diplomatic immunity at frustrated superheroes who weren't allowed to do anything

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
On the one hand, I feel like Doom would be genuinely upset over 9/11 because "see what happens when you fools do not allow Doom to run your societies and curb your violent natures? This would not happen in a world under Doom's loving but firm rule!" Heck, I think his characterization at times would also even allow that he is genuinely in his own way sad about the loss of life.

On the other hand, Doom would totally see crying as a sign of weakness, and Doom is not weak.

You can easily justify Doom being upset about 9/11 but I don't think you can justify, in-universe, Doom crying in public over anything, ever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It was a malfunctioning Doombot.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It was a malfunctioning Doombot.

He makes some of them lovely on purpose so the normal ones fly under the radar.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Volcott posted:

He makes some of them lovely on purpose so the normal ones fly under the radar.

"Please excuse Doombot-903, he is an idiot. Doom programmed him wrong, on purpose, as a joke."

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Magneto was upset for all the mutants who died in the attacks.

:colbert:

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Ambitious Spider posted:

Magneto was upset for all the mutants who died steel beams who melted in the attacks.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

He perceived the great irony

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

He perceived the great irony

yeah he's got magnet vision.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Snackmar posted:

I always figued that maybe there were Latverian diplomatic offices and staff in there..? Doom used to be depicted doing a lot of government-y stuff in NYC and waving around his diplomatic immunity at frustrated superheroes who weren't allowed to do anything

I love how writers wave "diplomatic immunity" around like it's a magic get out of jail card for anything. Same with that Lethal Weapon sequel where the south African diplomat can waggle his diplomatic passport at the cops and walk away from murder and drug smuggling. Real diplomats use it to avoid traffic and parking tickets. Anything major and there's an international incident, the perp is at the very least sent home, and the host country does its best to get the person charged there. Which if you're the US can mean a lot of things.

Unless the host country convinces the home country to revoke their diplomatic status in which case it's a trial.

skyelevator
Apr 12, 2020

MrUnderbridge posted:

I love how writers wave "diplomatic immunity" around like it's a magic get out of jail card for anything. Same with that Lethal Weapon sequel where the south African diplomat can waggle his diplomatic passport at the cops and walk away from murder and drug smuggling. Real diplomats use it to avoid traffic and parking tickets. Anything major and there's an international incident, the perp is at the very least sent home, and the host country does its best to get the person charged there. Which if you're the US can mean a lot of things.

Unless the host country convinces the home country to revoke their diplomatic status in which case it's a trial.

Reminds me of -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Harry_Dunn

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

MrUnderbridge posted:

I wonder if the media perception of diplomatic immunity has residue of colonial extraterritoriality because European powers were really big on making their agents above the law basically everywhere in the world in the 19th century.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

MrUnderbridge posted:

The best version of this is when the Joker kills Robin and is then hired by the Ayatollah Khomeini to be the Iranian ambassador to the US, which means he can’t be prosecuted for killing Robin. And then he shows up at the UN in a turban and tries to kill everyone with Joker gas because that’s what Khomeini hired him to do.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MrUnderbridge posted:

Fool!

Doom is immune to diplomacy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I AM GRANDO posted:

The best version of this is when the Joker kills Robin and is then hired by the Ayatollah Khomeini to be the Iranian ambassador to the US, which means he can’t be prosecuted for killing Robin. And then he shows up at the UN in a turban and tries to kill everyone with Joker gas because that’s what Khomeini hired him to do.

You can't just mention that without showing the panels:

https://www.cbr.com/batman-joker-iran-ambassador-retcon-qurac/

Unsurprisingly that was eventually retconned into being Qurac, their go-to fake Middle Eastern country.