Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Feels weird that Sasuke is like”Edo tensei is forbidden!”
That’s…great Sasuke, but you’re in a different country with different customs and laws. They apparently don’t even actually have Ninja here. What do they care?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
You need to torture someone to death every time you use it. That's pretty universally considered a bad thing.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
It's pretty funny that this has turned into a robot alien dinosaur manga.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Darth TNT posted:

That’s…great Sasuke, but you’re in a different country with different customs and laws. They apparently don’t even actually have Ninja here. What do they care?

I expected Zansul to laugh in his face (which he basically did). Dude's the shadow leader of a nation, i think he'll do what he wants. I guess Sasuke could propose sanctions.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sindai posted:

Now they just need to stick the landing by having Sakura punch out a T-rex

Just Sakura going full on pro wrestler on a bunch of dinosaurs. Clotheslines, suplexes, piledrivers, let her go nuts.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
naruto was never that cool. not the manga, sequel, spinoffs, adaptations, or movies.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The anime is now officially ahead of the manga as far as the Sasuke’s Story arc goes and yes, Sakura does get to punch a dinosaur (unfortunately she also immediately afterwards gets poisoned by Jiji who steals the Ultra Particles)

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mamkute posted:

You need to torture someone to death every time you use it. That's pretty universally considered a bad thing.

I had forgotten this, and it makes Kabuto's forgiveness particularly absurd. You can sort of abstract out the deaths from the broader war, but every use of Edo Tensei requiring torture-killing someone is pretty hosed up.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, kabuto was literally the only person in the entire world who was willing to run an orphanage. konoha hates orphans!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

The anime is now officially ahead of the manga as far as the Sasuke’s Story arc goes and yes, Sakura does get to punch a dinosaur (unfortunately she also immediately afterwards gets poisoned by Jiji who steals the Ultra Particles)

Figures.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s a pity too, she actually was pretty competent for a while there

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Darth TNT posted:

I like Sasuke asking Zansul for what purpose he revived the dinosaurs like Zansul needs a reason beyond this being the coolest thing he could do with a revival jutsu.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Electric Phantasm posted:

I like Sasuke asking Zansul for what purpose he revived the dinosaurs like Zansul needs a reason beyond this being the coolest thing he could do with a revival jutsu.

He was so obsessed with thinking if he could he didn't care if he should. And then he decided he should because its fuckin cool. Eat it Dr Sasuke Malcomb.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

He was so obsessed with thinking if he could he didn't care if he should. And then he decided he should because its fuckin cool. Eat it Dr Sasuke Malcomb.

And the only one on his side is the blood-sucking Prime Minister.

(e. Sasuke: “Mr. Zansul, after careful consideration, I’ve decided not to endorse your park.”)

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 31, 2023

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

An update on the Naruto 99 poll - its voting period has ended, with its results being announced in April

Mid-term results prior to final count are:

1 Minato Namikaze
2 Itachi Uchiha
3 Sakura Haruno
4 Shisui Uchiha
5 Kakashi Hatake
6 Naruto Uzumako
7 Madara Uchiha
8 Sakumo Hatake
9 Sasuke Uchiha
10 Jiraiya

The list up to 50 can be seen on the page if you scroll down a bit

The results for "Whose Apprentice Would You Like To Be" are:

Minato (59,236)
Kakashi (50,037)
Jiraiya (34,215)
Might Guy (22,353)
Asuma (8,182)
Lots of write-ins for Itachi and Iruka

The current special votes being tallied are for "Who Would You Like To Sit Next To In Class?"

Deidara
Sasori
Konan
Itachi
Kisame

Can't imagine who's going to win that by a bloody landslide /s

Delphisage
Jul 31, 2022

by the sex ghost
These results are completely bonkers, almost surely stuffed, and I can only see them as detrimental to both the shonen landscape and wider community discussion.

Like, I hate Itachi's sympathetic reframing and the retcons in the Kushina flashback so much, and seeing audiences reward both of those things and possibly the truly awful treatment Sakura gets feels so disheartening.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Those results actually completely fit the way I view the Naruto fan base.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

rndmnmbr posted:

And the only one on his side is the blood-sucking Prime Minister.

(e. Sasuke: “Mr. Zansul, after careful consideration, I’ve decided not to endorse your park.”)

:discourse:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Sasuke’s Story adaption was just completed in the most recent two episodes of the anime if anyone doesn’t want to wait for the manga (and yes, Sakura does get to punch dinosaurs).

Seems like we’ll also be getting back to adapting the main manga with this week’s episode.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
New Sasuke gaiden

And you were doing so well Sakura.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Darth TNT posted:

New Sasuke gaiden

And you were doing so well Sakura.

The anime’s already finished this story but all I can say is don’t worry, this is just a temporary setback for her (still kind of sucks though)

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wonder why the anime went with a ball wrapped in sealing tags while the manga uses a container (and Jiji uses a kunai in the anime rather than a regular knife one would expect to find in a prison)

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Delphisage posted:

These results are completely bonkers, almost surely stuffed, and I can only see them as detrimental to both the shonen landscape and wider community discussion.

Like, I hate Itachi's sympathetic reframing and the retcons in the Kushina flashback so much, and seeing audiences reward both of those things and possibly the truly awful treatment Sakura gets feels so disheartening.

the audience definitely isn't rewarding Sakura's horrible treatment, imo. anyone whose favorite character is Sakura has either stopped watching/reading entirely a long time ago, retreated into a fan canon where Sakura keeps up with the boys, or is voting for her to spite kishimoto and his opinion that nobody likes Sakura lol

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The results for "Who would you like to sit next to in class?" are:

Itachi: 91,542

quote:

Many voters commented imagining what it would be like to sit next to him, saying things like "I'd be so nervous I couldn't talk!"

Konan: 38,177

Deidara: 30,321

Sasori: 15,118

Kisame: 11,777

Lotta write-ins for Nagato and Kakuzu

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Jazerus posted:

the audience definitely isn't rewarding Sakura's horrible treatment, imo. anyone whose favorite character is Sakura has either stopped watching/reading entirely a long time ago, retreated into a fan canon where Sakura keeps up with the boys, or is voting for her to spite kishimoto and his opinion that nobody likes Sakura lol

Minus what just happened in the latest chapter she’s treated pretty well in the Sasuke’s Story novel/manga at least

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
In all honesty, Itachi's motives were obviously meant to eventually get explained in a sympathetic manner for a while. Pretty much since we got the big Sasuke flashback it was clear that there was something more going on, even though I'm pretty sure not even Kishimoto knew exactly what that was.

But also, in total honesty, people were really hot for Itachi even when it was believed he was a villain. Results would have been the same.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

To me the biggest narrative issue with the Itachi redemption retcon was his incredibly harsh usage of the Tsukuyomi on Kakashi and Sasuke. All of his external crimes and actions to pose as a Akatsuki, fine, it was his cover. But the dude basically risked inducing severe emotional and mental trauma on his brother and a future hokage for apparently no justified reason. If anything, those would've been good chances to give Sasuke some reprieve or at least helpful direction from his crazy revenge quest.

It did work as the biggest justification for Sasuke's willingness to go to such extremes and all his cringey emo dialogue later, but yeahhhh, not very sensible for Itachi the double agent with a heart full of love for his village and brother. I think his redemption is one of those things that wasn't planned far in advance.

iamsosmrt fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 11, 2023

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
itachi had good intentions but his decision making skills were amazingly bad. much like sasuke, he did whatever was most dramatic because he was so wrapped up in his own feelings that nothing else mattered. then when itachi was brought back to life he was confronted with how stupid and wrong his life's work really was.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

itachi had good intentions but his decision making skills were amazingly bad. much like sasuke, he did whatever was most dramatic because he was so wrapped up in his own feelings that nothing else mattered. then when itachi was brought back to life he was confronted with how stupid and wrong his life's work really was.

And he came to the conclusion that he should have put the future of his clan on his brother when he was 8 years old.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
that was actually a stellar sakura chapter with NO SASUKE and just Sakura kicking rear end. Not even a bad way to lose, it’s true to her character and was a genuinely great twist.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

And he came to the conclusion that he should have put the future of his clan on his brother when he was 8 years old.

he was also a teenager with a fresh pair of “eyes that make you hosed up and evil”

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
as with so many things, i blame sarutobi.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Sarutobi’s legacy as hokage is making sure the uchiha district had lead pipes

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Back to adapting the manga

Prepare for a lot of scenes of characters sitting around and talking

...which I guess is less work for the animators?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Eida's theme is pretty cool. Very witchy

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Kawaki: "Get away from me, you witch!"

Eida: "I'm not a witch, I'm your (future) wife!"

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

That wasn't as bad as I expected; I feel like "getting (literally) backstabbed by a character you thought was friendly" is a pretty reasonable way to be defeated.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

New Chapter:

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/boruto-chapter-78/chapter/26182?action=read

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
drat was really hoping The eye injury would come with a byakugan unlock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Kingtheninja posted:

drat was really hoping The eye injury would come with a byakugan unlock.

Technically it did?

Good to see Mitsubishi step up.