Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah I panicked cause OH gently caress SOMEONE IS INSIDE THE HOSUE and started blasting, the first time.

Luckily that was during one of the demos, so he is alive and well now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I think Igor's pretty useful but that usefulness is maybe being overstated, your game is not really any worse for killing him and you can still do just fine. "You have to restart your whole save" is overkill.

CuddleCryptid posted:

To be clear you need to use them to build the module, dont recycle/scrap them. If you go into the workshop you can see the requirements (it's the module with the mouse on it) and mark them for collection. It's a pile of random goods so it's a good idea to keep them marked.
You also definitely shouldn't be recycling gameboys, they sell for a huge amount of money.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Vib Rib posted:

I think Igor's pretty useful but that usefulness is maybe being overstated, your game is not really any worse for killing him and you can still do just fine. "You have to restart your whole save" is overkill.

You also definitely shouldn't be recycling gameboys, they sell for a huge amount of money.

It's less of a "you have to restart" and more of the fact that he gives stuff that it's a pain in the rear end to find, like electronic such as game boys. I'd restart if it's your first few runs because he is really useful and there aren't any good trade offs for killing him, but you can get by without it.

I think he is designed to be really helpful at the start for low cost because he is supposed to be a soft tutorial for "don't just blindly follow the first faction you get quests from" which will be more relevant once factions, yknow, exist.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

The only reason I think they should restart is because he's just a nice old man, an innocent. Don't care about game mechanics or whatever.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Black Griffon posted:

The only reason I think they should restart is because he's just a nice old man, an innocent. Don't care about game mechanics or whatever.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I probably would have returned Zero Seivert already if I didn’t pass the refund period. I hope when the game is done they have more meaningful quests/objectives.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I think the game was discussed in this thread, but Chernobylite is current 60% off on fanatical! $12 USD (lowest ever price I think?)

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/chernobylite-enhanced-edition

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead sometimes comes up in this thread since it's just as much a survival game as it is an apocalypse roguelike, but a new mod dropped recently that is excellent in terms of scratching a single-player Tarkov itch.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cataclysmdda/comments/10jtqq4/my_raidbased_sky_islands_mod_has_received_a_major/

You start on a sky island that is permanently a safe location, and teleport down to a random point on the map with a 4 hour timer (and some change with stacking debuffs) to go loot and make your way to the evac point, which lets you keep everything you collected. If you die, either by enemies, misadventure, or the stacking debuffs eventually killing you, you respawn on your island injured and naked, but keep anything related to your character progression (skills, proficiencies, etc).

There are optional missions each run that will give you a currency you can use to craft various things--like bags that will carry an absurd amount of construction resources in a way that adds no weight or encumbrance, or consumables that have various effects like instantly healing you on your island instead of having to wait for it naturally, an item that extends the timer for the run, or giving you a free death on a run with the caveat that the item breaks whether or not you use it. Similarly there are a few constructions, like being able to add an autodoc or an infinitely harvestable tree to your island.

If you're familiar with the game I highly recommend playing with the No Hope mod turned on in addition to Sky Island, since it creates a scenario where you really need to pay attention to your hunger and thirst by either planting crops, transporting animals via the warp animal carrier, or rely heavily on scavenging to varying success.

Right now it's only downloadable from the github link, but with the new stable release coming in the next week or two it's almost guaranteed to pass the requirements to be added as a mod that comes with the default installation.

If you're just checking out the game for the first time and are curious we have a thread here that you're welcome to chill in and ask questions

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553436

And there's a very excellent LP from worm girl that's currently on hiatus you can check out in the Let's Play if you want an idea of what the game is like, in addition to some really excellent beginner resources worm girl made herself

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3993399

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
why are there words all over it, what the hell is going on?

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Sab Sabbington posted:

but with the new stable release coming in the next week or two

Oh wow really?

But yeah, if that mod does get included in the 'default' mods I'll deff check it out then for sure tho.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

All is well now

I didn't find anything but broken weapons from bandits, so I bought an EC-74 alongside the MKM I got as quest reward and the Nozin I got from the start. Things are still not easy (especially if there are multiple bandits) but it's slightly less hard now with a big more experience (just made it to level 2). Still trying to rack up parts to make the modules in the bunker, only one I managed to make is the additional storage. I'm guessing the bed would be useful since I saw a mention it levels skills passively. Any other base module recommendations?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

TeaJay posted:

All is well now

Good, we forgive you. Go in peace.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sab Sabbington posted:

Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead sometimes comes up in this thread since it's just as much a survival game as it is an apocalypse roguelike, but a new mod dropped recently that is excellent in terms of scratching a single-player Tarkov itch.

Well this looks very interesting. I haven't touched CDDA in many years, might be time for a revisit.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

TeaJay posted:

All is well now

I didn't find anything but broken weapons from bandits, so I bought an EC-74 alongside the MKM I got as quest reward and the Nozin I got from the start. Things are still not easy (especially if there are multiple bandits) but it's slightly less hard now with a big more experience (just made it to level 2). Still trying to rack up parts to make the modules in the bunker, only one I managed to make is the additional storage. I'm guessing the bed would be useful since I saw a mention it levels skills passively. Any other base module recommendations?

Kitchen and Infirmary. The rest is personal preference really.

papersack
Jul 27, 2003

I just noticed that Card Survival has a few mods up on NexusMods. Mostly QoL. There's some really handy ones I'm going to add like the one that shows available research via icons on the blueprint tabs. It's such a pain to click every tab all the time. Never Follow Card too because when I'm trying to make a stack of mud bricks it gets tedious when the game keeps scrolling all the cards. I shouldn't have to manually move those close together to stop it. View More Cards is going to cut down on the constant scrolling too. The mods that add perks and new animals is encouraging that it'll be easy to add a ton of new content to the game.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

papersack posted:

I just noticed that Card Survival has a few mods up on NexusMods. Mostly QoL. There's some really handy ones I'm going to add like the one that shows available research via icons on the blueprint tabs. It's such a pain to click every tab all the time. Never Follow Card too because when I'm trying to make a stack of mud bricks it gets tedious when the game keeps scrolling all the cards. I shouldn't have to manually move those close together to stop it. View More Cards is going to cut down on the constant scrolling too. The mods that add perks and new animals is encouraging that it'll be easy to add a ton of new content to the game.

Yeah, I posted about them a little while ago, a friend of mine made most them after I bought them the game. Frow now on when I play games that need QoL improvements I'll be buying him a copy.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Modded STALKER is pretty close to what I want yeah, I’ve played it before. I’d just like something maybe a little bit more like, Open world Survival Craft first, but not entirely. Stalker but I build a little camp that becomes a more permanent hovel and base, and traders and people stop buy sometimes. Basically combine a lite colony sim with a survival fps.

This isn’t so much fishing for game recommendations as it is just dreams.txt, but I appreciate the suggestion nonetheless.

Old post but Im with you on dreams.txt

Modded DayZ with StalkerZ scratched that itch for awhile but eventually gave way to the typical boring DayZ gameloop.

What I really want though is less custom base building (i.e. full on walls, floors and houses) and more adaptation/customization of existing structures on maps. It just never made "sense" in any of these games to build this perfect looking cookie cutter cabin and it would be super cool for a system that's more geared towards building off existing structures (like, reinforcing doors, windows, maybe some lovely fencing) and more building from scavenged material and parts rather than full on wood-chopping from scratch build loop.

Especially in like an apocalyptic/zombie whatever type scenario it'd make more sense that you would slowly strip other buildings/structures/debris and start building out a haphazard mad-max style base with whatever you can find rather than harvesting raw material and making this catalogue perfect cabin.

Really the only game that attempts this is Project Zomboid (more specifically, modded ones where you can pull more existing tiles). Scum gets a little bit close to this by letting you add locks to most existing doors and boarding up windows and the modular building at least adds some imperfections and scrappy look. But even it can't make your base look more "organic" instead of this odd templated look that ends up how most modular base designs in games end up.

Valheim does an awesome job of this (i.e. not limited to just snappy squares), but also suffers from these absolutely perfect pieces with no variation. 7DTD and other voxel games probably have the most of this, but the blocks can easily end up looking weird.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not quite sure how the weapon stats in Zero Sievert work. The wiki tells me that

quote:

RECOIL : Changes how quickly the aim reticle expands after each shot
ERGONOMIC : Changes how quickly the aim reticle retracts & scope moves
ACCURACY : Changes the size of the aim reticle
RELOAD SPEED : Changes duration of reload
DAMAGE : Changes the damage dealt by the weapon

Regarding weapon attachments, I assume that Green Number Good and Red Number Bad, but should I just aim to raise all these stats? Lower recoil should be better than high recoil, but I assume I want a high recoil _stat_ ?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'm pretty sure recoil and accuracy should both be low, because recoil is how much your gun jerks around and accuracy is actually scattering, so lower scattering is good. Sorta similar to how Escape from Tarkov grades accuracy by MOA. The others should all be high.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

That's just somehow incredibly confusing if accuracy stat should be as low as possible. I just bought a Lion scope for my VS-98 and it ups accuracy by a huge deal. So is it actually a bad scope then?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Maybe I'm wrong or it was changed from the beta then, green is generally good so I guess go by that?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I mean, it definitely should be explained a bit better in game, since I'm browsing all kinds of discussions and most of them seem to be "I think it's like this" or "I'm not quite sure, but". The dev (I think it's a one man effort) seems quite active and open to feedback so maybe he'll work on it in future updates.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Damage, accuracy, reload speed and ergonomics all should be going up to be better, I'm not sure if recoil should go down or up. Logically you'd think it should be down, but yes, go with whichever direction makes the number green.

e: actually I'm not 100% sure on reload speed either, but I am sure about accuracy, damage and ergonomics.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

It's possible that the non-scoped accuracy does get worse, and that is ignored when you're using the scope.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Arven posted:

That's been my experience playing every multiplayer open world survival crafting game with Goons- Ark, Atlas, Life is Feudal, Last Oasis. There's even a goon discord group dedicated to playing those kinds of games exclusively. It's kind of amazing how they keep making these games that fun until the casuals get ground to dust by the larger groups and then the games die completely. You'd think someone would realize it's a design that will ultimately destroy itself over time. It's crazy how Rust has been the exception to the rule for so long and stuck around.

is the goon group still the one that put up confederate flags or are they a little better now

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Verviticus posted:

is the goon group still the one that put up confederate flags or are they a little better now

No? What game was that? The discord I linked has only existed like a year.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
it was a rust goon group but was back in 2015-2016, i think? eventually branched off into more survival mp games

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Evil Kit posted:

Rust is a terrible game imo because I loathe games where the devs lean on PvP for the only challenge in their game. But that's really just personal preference, I know a shitload of folks have enjoyed Rust a lot.

It works well for some games. It does not work well for rust as there is little skill involved unless you duel other players. It's just a rat race and then team-gank or destroy base when offline.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Catsplosion posted:

It works well for some games. It does not work well for rust as there is little skill involved unless you duel other players. It's just a rat race and then team-gank or destroy base when offline.

Rereading this I wasn't really differentiating it at the time when writing that post like I was in my head so that one's on me.

To be clear, there are absolutely genres PvP thrives and is a great driving force in, but in survival games specifically is where I really loathe to see it. Both portions (PvP and survival sim) of the game end up feeling half baked or one outweighs the other.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It really depends on your defintion of "survival"

Scavenging structures for supplies to craft medkits and arrows? Perfect to drop PvP in, practically the same thing as Fortnite but with a longer game.

Building a sustainable colony to manage food stores? Hell no.

Essentially anything that lasts longer than one session, especially something that requires you to build structures that require significant time/resources investment, is going to be gank city unless you have *very* limited time windows where PvP is enabled.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

CuddleCryptid posted:

It really depends on your defintion of "survival"

Scavenging structures for supplies to craft medkits and arrows? Perfect to drop PvP in, practically the same thing as Fortnite but with a longer game.

Building a sustainable colony to manage food stores? Hell no.

Essentially anything that lasts longer than one session, especially something that requires you to build structures that require significant time/resources investment, is going to be gank city unless you have *very* limited time windows where PvP is enabled.

*Points at ARK*

An ironic example for me to make actually, if only because the devs made sure there was actual challenge and goals to push for without PvP, but also incorporated PvP because it made sense and actually added to the game and themes they were going for.

Maybe I'm just particularly biased against Rust as an example because it's such a boring rear end take on the concept of survival sim to me. The fact it originally started off as a zombie survival sim game till they moved away from "zombies" and then settled on some basic wildlife in an attempt to not just be yet another zombie survival sim that saturated the market at that time is not lost on me.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Evil Kit posted:

*Points at ARK*
An ironic example for me to make actually, if only because the devs made sure there was actual challenge and goals to push for without PvP, but also incorporated PvP because it made sense and actually added to the game and themes they were going for.

I have played like 900 hours of ARK and it is in fact the video game that ten-year-old me never knew I always wanted. That being said, I played some private server ARK with some friends a while back and the game is amazingly boring if you're not engaging in PVP. We got up to stealing dragon eggs and then we had this dragon and we realized that we had nothing that we wanted to do with the dragon. We foresaw that taming deep sea creatures was going to leave us feeling the same way and shut the server down.

ARK is still an amazing game but it really peaked in the early days when you found a bunch of Chinese dudes in the middle of a 14 hour T-Rex tame and ruined their lives with a Mad Max menagerie of assholes on weird critters. I've watched some YouTube videos of modern raiding and it's all pokeballs and xenomorphs and shield generators and I can't imagine having the same amount of fun with any of that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Evil Kit posted:

*Points at ARK*

See, maybe it's because I never got deep into Ark but to me Ark exemplified the problems with Rust in terms of server permanence rather than solved them. The fact that you had a lot of things that required time to process like taming dinos and such meant that having high defenses on anything you do was necessary, which means that if you weren't in a clan with a lot of people going in and out it didn't work. I played with goons for a bit and punched out because it felt too similar to what burned me out on Rust.

But, as you said, it's counterbalanced by the PvE elements being a lot deeper. I'm not saying Ark is a worse game, it's pretty good if you have a group to play with, it's just that I didn't find the PvP that compelling. But that just comes down to personal taste.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

As a person who only ever observed and watched PvE ARK LPs (in which they tweaked tame times among other things) it just seemed like a fine game unto itself? Certainly looked more interesting and was much more engaging to watch than any Rust LP I've seen.

It's always going to be personal preference, plenty of folks get enjoyment out of the Rust or ARK style of game. I just can't comprehend why myself. :shrug:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Any game that requires someone to be on 24/7 or you might lose all your poo poo is never going to appeal to me because it disproportionately rewards poopsockers.

I've seen people who are good at the game do cool poo poo, but the vast majority of the time it just seems like people raiding offline bases with their giant clan with almost 0 danger to them. Pass for me.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
ARK PvE is fine if you just don't play with default numbers in my experience. It's not my favorite game, still feels too unpolished and derivative in some ways to me, but at least there is some meat to the PvE portion in comparison to other games like it.

But also if you're only doing PvE there's still that element of "what is really the point" I guess.

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

I wonder if a game where your base only exists while you’re online could work for PvP. When you join, your base is loaded into a random location on the map or something. Is there something like that which already exists?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

VegasGoat posted:

I wonder if a game where your base only exists while you’re online could work for PvP. When you join, your base is loaded into a random location on the map or something. Is there something like that which already exists?

No, but you could make it into a camping set that you set up/tear down and it'll work fine. The vast majority of defenses for a base go into protecting it when you are offline so if you are online then you don't really need them.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

VegasGoat posted:

I guess you could count Fallout 76, but it's Fallout 76, so you win some, lose some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I wonder if any one has successfully implemented asynchronous PvP. Something where people can rob you while you're offline but not so punitive that it requires shifts of people manning the defenses.

It's immersion breaking to have stuff that's simply invincible. On the other hand, most people don't want to lose the game while they're not even playing it.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 31, 2023