Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I played some Descent using DX1-Rebirth and I can't tell if it's supposed to be as loose with its controls or not but I don't remember it feeling the way it does? It feels very loose, like I've got my mouse's DPI all the way up and I've got sensitivity in DX1-Rebirth all the way up and the ship still turns really slowly, and it's constantly sort of bobbling like it's trying to align to an axis even with autoleveling turned off. It feels really bad in a way that I don't remember it feeling on my parents' Pentium back in 1996 or so and I don't know if that's just dumb nostalgia or something's wrong with the source port or how I've configured it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Turning speed is limited in descent and there's a bit of inertia to everything so you're probably just feeling that.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Mordja posted:

So it's third not first-person, but I've been playing the largely forgotten Armed and Dangerous. It's weird because it's basically a bunch of short levels pulling from a limited pool of objectives (save the villagers, turret defense, plant the bombs, etc) punctuated by a few minutes of loosely-related, wacky cutscenes. It's also very British. The level design's suddenly opened up at the point where I'm at since they give you a jet pack which makes things more interesting, it's now more of a limited, PS2-era sandbox.
The blind seer's reading glasses being oversized googly glass eyes is a delightful bit that still pops into my head from time to time. That, and the punchline about Zitwalla. I can't think of soccer with a straight face ever again.

A shame the gameplay was a chore.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

catlord posted:

That was my problem with 1 and the half of 2 I played, I never felt like the superhuman badass the intro video promised.

i’m playing crysis 1 on switch right now and yeah i’m surprised by how fragile i am. i’m into it because it encourages me to use the terrain to avoid or carefully manage enemy encounters in ways i otherwise wouldn’t bother with, but i certainly didn’t expect it. pretty cool game so far

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Weedle posted:

i’m playing crysis 1 on switch right now and yeah i’m surprised by how fragile i am. i’m into it because it encourages me to use the terrain to avoid or carefully manage enemy encounters in ways i otherwise wouldn’t bother with, but i certainly didn’t expect it. pretty cool game so far

It kinda shits itself once the aliens show up, which is a shame since despite my issues with it, the first half of Crysis 1 has a gameplay style that does actually work, the enemy squads are fun to fight.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Do the remasters include Crysis: Warhead? I liked Warhead much more than the base game, it also reworked the alien combat to be better to boot. The Warhead train level is one of the all-time great FPS single levels.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Weedle posted:

Yeah in Crysis 1 and Warhead you're fragile (even with the default "armor" mode) but fast (with the passive "speed" mode) so becoming the terror you see in the intro is a matter of figuring out enemy ranges and reaction speeds and taking advantage of that. It's a tragedy the original nanosuit ninja videos are gone, they did a really good job showing how insane you could get once you mastered the Crysis 1 movement system. Also if you're ever in trouble you can always exploit the huge uncloak -> shoot -> recloak bug and cheese the game that way.

In Crysis 2 speed is nerfed by making it just a sprint so you can't pull off the insane stuff you could in 1, but armor mode is buffed by making it into what most people would think of as armor, instead of just a default mode.

Twerk from Home posted:

Do the remasters include Crysis: Warhead? I liked Warhead much more than the base game, it also reworked the alien combat to be better to boot. The Warhead train level is one of the all-time great FPS single levels.
Sadly no.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
My biggest issue with Crysis is that you have these Delta Force (or whatever they are) operators deploying into a combat zone with these high-tech suits and they don't even have any place to store equipment. Where do you keep weapons, grenades, magazines, etc. on this stupid suit?!

DUMB! Unrealistic! Unforgivable!

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Pope Guilty posted:

It feels very loose, like I've got my mouse's DPI all the way up and I've got sensitivity in DX1-Rebirth all the way up and the ship still turns really slowly, and it's constantly sort of bobbling like it's trying to align to an axis even with autoleveling turned off.
There's an option to uncap turning speed--I forget the exact name of it, but it's pretty obvious. I think it only works for single player since uncapped turning would be advantageous in multiplayer.

Otherwise, yes, the controls in Descent have a lot of inertia in them. It was originally designed to keyboard play without analog inputs.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm gonna say this again, but if you like(d) Descent, you should probably just go buy Overload instead of trying to play the 90's DOS game with all its dated issues.

edit: And yes, I know what thread this is, which I feel just highlights how strongly I recommend it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Why not do both?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

My biggest issue with Crysis is that you have these Delta Force (or whatever they are) operators deploying into a combat zone with these high-tech suits and they don't even have any place to store equipment. Where do you keep weapons, grenades, magazines, etc. on this stupid suit?!

DUMB! Unrealistic! Unforgivable!
Magnets, I assume, same as Halo.

It's funny how the KPA just wear normal plate carriers with holsters and straps and pockets over their nanosuits, much more practical.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Serephina posted:

I'm gonna say this again, but if you like(d) Descent, you should probably just go buy Overload instead of trying to play the 90's DOS game with all its dated issues.

edit: And yes, I know what thread this is, which I feel just highlights how strongly I recommend it.

Geez, fine I guess I'll finally grab it.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

For me, Crysis 2 doesn't really pick up until you start meeting the Marines, which is like what 3/5 into the game?

Bishopvi
Nov 12, 2003

And then he gives me a smile that just seems so genuinely sweet with just the right touch of shyness that unexpected warmth rushes through me.
I found crysis 1 to just rock the armor mods unless you needed it for something else. I recall using stealth mode to keep off a helicopter's pursuit. Then again, I only played through the entire thing once. The VTOL section towards the end was extremely frustrating for me.

Personally, I always enjoyed Crysis 2, it definitely wasn't the greatest game of all time but I also don't feel it overstayed it's welcome. You still have some fun encounters and ways to approach them, and looked really beautiful to boot. Not everyone's cup of tea, but very entertaining for me. Did not like the suit changes though.

3 certainly tried to marry the two, and while it was still a beautiful game, it didn't really feel like it went as far as it could have/should have.

Now I want to install them all and go through them again.

Bishopvi fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 30, 2023

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Overload owns and will never get a sequel. RIP dev studio.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Crysis gets good once you discover a lot of its systems are easily modded by simply editing some .cfg files. Hello endless speed boost and chaingun that shoots turtles.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
Best Crysis things: Warhead and Living Legends.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Overload has this thing a few missions in where the levels get very open but they are swarming with enemies. It felt like the designers stopped hiding enemies behind corners and just increased their numbers to double digits in each area.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

So lately I've had a taste for some truly classic fragging, and have been bouncing between both Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament 99.

Back in the day I sided firmly with UT99 and that's where almost all of my arena shooter nostalgia sits, but picking up both of these games in 2023.. I dunno, was I wrong? I'm finding Quake 3 to be an immeasurably better experience to go back to today. I'm using mods on both so I'm still able to get online on UT99, but Quake 3 is by a distance more popular in terms of player counts across servers and modes, and honestly I'm just having more fun playing it.

I'll always have nostalgia for UT99 and being done dirty by Epic probably doesn't help what's left of the playerbase (even with mods for server access), but it's got to take a back seat to Quake 3 now for my arena shooter needs.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
q3 has always been better for deathmatch but ut did everything else better imo

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
https://twitter.com/Apogee_Ent/status/1619698754386333699

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
They're just different styles tbh- UT99's got a lot more going on but Q3's way better at ultrafast twitch shooting.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Hey hey, beat Ultrakill on regular. Gabe 2.0 only took me 35~ tries too. I'm almost certain he's easier than his first form and they are both much, much easier than V2 redux which is easily the hardest fight for me. I have improved but not THAT much. The parries were better telegraphed and easier to time and not having to worry about falling off anything helped for sure. Don't think I'm even gonna bother with Violent. I'm not nearly that masochistic. Probably not necessary anyway: one of the many things that I'll give new blood is they're not lovely about giving achievements that are out of reach for 99% of players so I hope to add another perfect once they finish this game. It certainly deserves it.

site posted:

Yeah pretty much. And even in plain jane dm about the only thing i'd really give q3 truly over ut was the maps. God most of the smaller dm maps in ut were middling at best. But man those weapons were incredible. I don't think there's a stinker in the bunch, but then again I was always the weirdo who'd defend the ripper

Hail to the king baby :cool:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

site posted:

I agree. I liked Q3 more for small player count FFA and everything else on UT.

Q3 was more straightforward for just deathmatch or 1v1 but UT had the glorious domination, assault and CTF with a more complex weapon and mutator setup.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah I always viewed Quake 3 as a spartan--and perhaps kind of charmless--multiplayer tool. It did exactly what it advertised: here is your rocket launcher, it shoots rockets; here is your plasma rifle, it shoots plasma balls. Watching high-level players play it, it transcends typical gameplay until it's almost unrecognizable from anything a normal human engages in. It's like watching two opposing machines go at it in rote process. Like watching those videos of "professional" laser tag players go at it in "sudden death mode"...just two maladjusted individuals circling each other like crabs, and you ask yourself "is this still laser tag?"

UT'99 had all of the quirk and charm. It was colorful. All of the weapons were comparatively complex, for better or worse. Here's a rocket launcher...but it also fires grenades; hold the button down to charge up a volley of either, as messy as it might be...oh and it can also lock on to targets if you keep it painted on somebody for long enough; here's your shock rifle, which does this and that and also this (you know the drill by now). The levels often look like vaguely recognizable places, even if it means they don't flow as smoothly as Quake 3 maps. A degree of style over function.

For me at least, UT'99 wasn't distilled down into some sparse and brutalist experience like Quake 3, and I loved it for that.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 29, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Assault was such a great game mode and it honestly feels bizarre that so few if any other companies didn't jump on board with their own try at it, similar to the heroes in wc3.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hey hey, beat Ultrakill on regular. Gabe 2.0 only took me 35~ tries too. I'm almost certain he's easier than his first form and they are both much, much easier than V2 redux which is easily the hardest fight for me. I have improved but not THAT much. The parries were better telegraphed and easier to time and not having to worry about falling off anything helped for sure. Don't think I'm even gonna bother with Violent. I'm not nearly that masochistic. Probably not necessary anyway: one of the many things that I'll give new blood is they're not lovely about giving achievements that are out of reach for 99% of players so I hope to add another perfect once they finish this game. It certainly deserves it.

if you do get the urge to go back there's more content already implemented, in the form of a hidden boss fight

it's hard hard though, beyond gabe redux and V2 redux

quote:

SOUL SURVIVOR is the first Prime Sanctum, accessed through the hidden Perfect Door in [ 3-1: BELLY OF THE BEAST ]. The door will only open upon achieving a "Perfect" rank on every mission in both the Prelude and Act I.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Pfft, I haven't even S ranked any missions at all, let alone P. Is that the flesh prison one? Or the Minos one. Both

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's both of those

getting P ranks on the earlier levels is probably easier than you think after getting through the later levels and unlocking the full arsenal

the requirements for P are the same as for S, only with the one additional constraint of not dying

repiv fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 29, 2023

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah I always viewed Quake 3 as a spartan--and perhaps kind of charmless--multiplayer tool.

This is a fair comment.

Quake 3 is functionally very strong - perhaps why it’s the more populated and streamlined experience playing it today.

But UT goes harder in other ways. CTF on Facing Worlds is an all time gaming experience. The weapon variety as mentioned, the stage set by the intro sequence, the announcer..

Game Tracker suggests there is currently 1 full 18 player server and then only 1 other server with 1 player right now. I wonder how much more populated it was before Epic closed their server support.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cross posted from the Switch thread, but does anyone know what's going on?

A sidenote: all of my single player levels and cheats so far unlocked have stayed unlocked. Archives and Bunker though.... :shrug:

https://twitter.com/robot_cousin/status/1619500718351876096?t=am4DV6UdoLVedC3Kvz9TZQ&s=19

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah I always viewed Quake 3 as a spartan--and perhaps kind of charmless--multiplayer tool. It did exactly what it advertised: here is your rocket launcher, it shoots rockets; here is your plasma rifle, it shoots plasma balls. Watching high-level players play it, it transcends typical gameplay until it's almost unrecognizable from anything a normal human engages in. It's like watching two opposing machines go at it in rote process. Like watching those videos of "professional" laser tag players go at it in "sudden death mode"...just two maladjusted individuals circling each other like crabs, and you ask yourself "is this still laser tag?"
:dafuq:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

To elaborate here's the laser tag reference:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jW7HSShdNIs

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
lol what

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

We should start a professional laser tag league

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

ut99 pwns quake 3. Sorry but it’s true.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
It's all a matter of philosophy. I tend to prefer the purity and simplicity of Quake 3, but UT99 has so much that it makes for an equally compelling game.

One weird thing though, UT99 has the better shotgun (the flak cannon). Weird how that turned out.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I love Quake 1 to death and don't give a single gently caress about any of the other Quakes. I need that high speed gothic horror. This poo poo about the Strogg is :rolleyes:

So, naturally, I'm on team UT99/2K4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This poo poo about the Strogg is :rolleyes:

The Strogg are what happens when a high-tech alien civilization meets c'thulu mythos

Cyborg Chthon? Shub'Niggurath with titanium tentacles, and radioactive waste for blood?

It's in all the patch files!! (*)