Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malmesbury Monster
Nov 5, 2011

USI - is there any reason to keep maxed out shards if there is a higher tier version? Like it seems like my Battle Shard is completely obsoleted by Battle Shard II/III but I'm always paranoid that I'm going to miss out on something if I throw it away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Malmesbury Monster posted:

USI - is there any reason to keep maxed out shards if there is a higher tier version? Like it seems like my Battle Shard is completely obsoleted by Battle Shard II/III but I'm always paranoid that I'm going to miss out on something if I throw it away.

The only reason to keep it would be to have an easy record you maxxed it out for achievement purposes (though this information is available on the Sector Info screen). Otherwise, no, as soon as you unlock the next tier shard it instantly outclasses a fully leveled previous tier version and you can’t use both at once so it has no purpose.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
About to do my 3rd MAD. Currently got 2x cost-creep reduction and 1x storage space CRISPR upgrades. Anything else I should be pushing toward at this time? I got 56 plasmids left + 110 or so I will be getting this go around.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

morphogenesis gets you onto the "get random good traits when evolving" path, so you might start with a rank in Content or something else good. it's better than its kinda-lovely benefit implies.

definitely get Hardened Genes if you can afford it, as that unlocks the challenge traits. completing runs gives achievments, and achievments give mastery, a global production bonus. with hardened genes you can start doing 1, 2, 3 and 4 star runs rather than the default 0 star ones. these are obviously a lot harder at first, but a 4-star runs give 5x mastery of 0-star ones. maybe start creeping into 1-star ones after a couple resets, then work up to 3-star or 4-star for your default runs.

however, for now, push to the plasmid softcap. that's 250 at this stage in the game

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I want to break into 4 star bioseeds but I’m afraid I don’t have the mastery to make up for the fact I can’t buy iridium in bulk.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i tend to find the Junk Gene challenge the hardest one to add on - plasmids not mattering is a pain in the dick. iridium purchasing can be done with like 200 trade routes running at all times after a while but yeah, it's still a bottleneck

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

morphogenesis gets you onto the "get random good traits when evolving" path, so you might start with a rank in Content or something else good. it's better than its kinda-lovely benefit implies.

definitely get Hardened Genes if you can afford it, as that unlocks the challenge traits. completing runs gives achievments, and achievments give mastery, a global production bonus. with hardened genes you can start doing 1, 2, 3 and 4 star runs rather than the default 0 star ones. these are obviously a lot harder at first, but a 4-star runs give 5x mastery of 0-star ones. maybe start creeping into 1-star ones after a couple resets, then work up to 3-star or 4-star for your default runs.

however, for now, push to the plasmid softcap. that's 250 at this stage in the game

Cool thanks, I'll just bank plasmids as you say. Is there a resource explaining the challenge/achievement/mastery situation? I am trying to figure that out.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i tend to find the Junk Gene challenge the hardest one to add on - plasmids not mattering is a pain in the dick. iridium purchasing can be done with like 200 trade routes running at all times after a while but yeah, it's still a bottleneck

You mixing your challenges? Junk Gene is just 1 random negative gene + cost creep upgrades are worth 20%, it's like by far the easiest challenge.

My understanding is that the standard path is going Junk Gene + No Free Trade to begin with, then tacking on No Free Crafting once you get all the crafting upgrades, and only worrying about No plasmids way, waaaaay later.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Cool thanks, I'll just bank plasmids as you say. Is there a resource explaining the challenge/achievement/mastery situation? I am trying to figure that out.

Oh yeah, take full advantage of the game wiki that you can reach by clicking on the game version in the top-right of the page.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
How do i prevent the USI ship from going too far and getting to an area where i can kill zero enemies (and thus never progress)?

Its like either babysit the game or accept that runs stall out (fairly fast) then having to prestige.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Ineptitude posted:

How do i prevent the USI ship from going too far and getting to an area where i can kill zero enemies (and thus never progress)?

Its like either babysit the game or accept that runs stall out (fairly fast) then having to prestige.

Don't set Auto forward, eventually when the ship hits the wall it'll back up until it can consistently kill without dying. You can't really get into a scenario where you kill nothing and they can't kill you.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

On the bottom left of the screen, to the right of your ship, there are a handful of buttons that control your ship. ^ moves you forward, v moves you backwards, = keeps you at the same distance. And A keeps you auto moving forward, so disable that.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

About to do my 3rd MAD. Currently got 2x cost-creep reduction and 1x storage space CRISPR upgrades. Anything else I should be pushing toward at this time? I got 56 plasmids left + 110 or so I will be getting this go around.

Don't spend plasmids if it puts you under 250(+ Phage).

250 plasmids is ~60% global production bonus which far outstrips any crispr bonuses.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 28, 2023

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

DACK FAYDEN posted:

trip report: lmao it loving shreds things alive and it's expensive as gently caress, no wonder salvage buffs exist because you can't even start leveling it until like 1e10 (and wave 21 has mooks with "armor" that resists lasers so you have to use it anyway)

I unlocked the Kinetic Cannon at about the same time I unlocked the 2.0 versions of the laser weapons, and the Kinetic Cannon has the same upgrade costs as the next-gen lasers.

Also it fuckin' rocks, the first game I used it I didn't care that I couldn't buy any upgrades because I was scything through enemies left and right

And yeah, the game's pretty good about setting up reasons to use new weapons once they're available - fast-regen shield enemies show up at the same time as you unlock beams, juggernauts show up at the same time you unlock the charge laser, et cetera, so it makes sense that the KC will introduce enemies you need the KC to kill

In my playthrough, though, the kinetic cannon was where I sorta hit a wall and started going to longer runs, because my resource income wasn't quite high enough to buy the things I needed without a lot of grinding and banking. I'm pretty sure I could remedy that by minmaxing my V. Device shards and so on, but honestly I don't care enough so I'm just powering through like a big dummy, and that's gotten me to stage 26 so I'm doing pretty okay. The Heavy Cruiser is my friend, it lets me have two support modules and 4 guns, whee!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I unlocked the Kinetic Cannon at about the same time I unlocked the 2.0 versions of the laser weapons, and the Kinetic Cannon has the same upgrade costs as the next-gen lasers.
jesus christ you're miles ahead of me, I'm currently at 21 with 4e7 base resource thingies to spend and it's 2e9 for level 2 lasers

(I think it's just that I didn't save up for the "produce more base resources" synth points spenders)

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Sivart13 posted:

Maybe I'll just play Evolve so I can finally decipher all the 4** Space Hell runs all y'all are talking about. I played through originally up to plasmids
after mostly-cheating myself through a few MADs and Bioseeds I now realize I'd already played up through bioseeding before after all (or close to it)

I think that's enough to wean me off committing any more time to it. There is SO much clicking and tweaking after every reset and the prestige gains are SO marginal. I don't see the appeal of having to go through the same dance balancing my coal/oil output to build enough Knowledge buildings for the tenth time.

I didn't install the tampermonkey script, maybe it makes this into a genuine idle game you can fidget with rarely rather than somehow being both a years-long treadmill and a baby that needs constant attention.

I *hate* the achievement stars mechanic. Why does the game want me to replay content in "punch yourself in the dick mode" so I can get teeny tiny marginal gains on replaying the same content again? Then I can feel bad if my run is not "optimal" while "optimal" runs are even more boring and tedious than regular ones.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

DACK FAYDEN posted:

jesus christ you're miles ahead of me, I'm currently at 21 with 4e7 base resource thingies to spend and it's 2e9 for level 2 lasers

(I think it's just that I didn't save up for the "produce more base resources" synth points spenders)

Lmao yeah I felt the same way. I'm also right around 21, and I feel like I'm reasonably efficient. :v:

Ah well, not much of a problem when you get down to it, everyone plays at their own pace

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sivart13 posted:

I didn't install the tampermonkey script, maybe it makes this into a genuine idle game you can fidget with rarely rather than somehow being both a years-long treadmill and a baby that needs constant attention.

I bounced off Evolve for many of the reasons you state before installing the script for my second try at it and yeah, it literally does.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah, I would straight up not recommend playing evolve without the script.

Even with the script it can be finicky and I often just had to accept that the script was going to be suboptimal because figuring out how to optimize it was too fiddly.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Arzaac posted:

You mixing your challenges? Junk Gene is just 1 random negative gene + cost creep upgrades are worth 20%, it's like by far the easiest challenge.

My understanding is that the standard path is going Junk Gene + No Free Trade to begin with, then tacking on No Free Crafting once you get all the crafting upgrades, and only worrying about No plasmids way, waaaaay later.

i think i am. i've forgotten what they're called, i just click the ones that don't remove my plasmids

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Ineptitude posted:

funky tip but you can put the ship in REVERSE and actually back all the way out of a zone, into previous zones.

This tip brought to you by: Getting utterly smeared by Zone 22B Elites

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Cobalt60 posted:

funky tip but you can put the ship in REVERSE and actually back all the way out of a zone, into previous zones.

This tip brought to you by: Getting utterly smeared by Zone 22B Elites

To continue on this; you can use reverse to path to a different branch.

e: Does someone know if the Auto Merge AI buff works while offline?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

mirarant posted:

Yes. It's very good.

It doesn't automatically merge with already installed gems but does merge them in the inventory so you'll have to stack them occasionally onto the slot.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 28, 2023

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Agent355 posted:

Yeah, I would straight up not recommend playing evolve without the script.

Even with the script it can be finicky and I often just had to accept that the script was going to be suboptimal because figuring out how to optimize it was too fiddly.

Good to know. I just installed it in tampermonkey and followed the instructions to enable debug mode and the other required setting. It shows up in the extension as active but doesn't seem to be doing anything. Is there some other action needed?

e: Nevermind, figured it out. I'll let it run on default for a bit and then figure out how to tweak if needed

Salvor_Hardin fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 29, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Good to know. I just installed it in tampermonkey and followed the instructions to enable debug mode and the other required setting. It shows up in the extension as active but doesn't seem to be doing anything. Is there some other action needed?

In the bottom left you should have a new menu labeled automation with all of the toggles while under settings you should also have a bunch of new menus.

MasterScriptToggle may not be on by default.

You should see this menu

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jan 29, 2023

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french

Sivart13 posted:

The script makes it an actual idle game. And you can choose how much of your will you want to exert over it. Think of it this way: Likely, once you have all the build queues unlocked and they're fairly sizable, you use it so that you're not super active in the game. The script will allocate resources to complete those tasks as fast as it can, whether it's be powering/depowering buildings, buying resources, setting trade routes, allocating citizens, and whatnot.

By controlling the weightings in the script, you can plan out essentially a much larger build queue. Even if you aren't a fan of using scripts for idle games, the level of customization means you can be as active or idle as you choose. There are individual toggles for all the settings (autoBuild, autoPower, autoAllocate, etc) that you can set on and off, including a master toggle as well, so when you get to new content you can switch it off if you want.

Edit: The above post shows it. Each of those toggles has more detailed customization in the Settings menu.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

In Unnamed Space Idle don't forget to do the Basic Ship achievements they give 10% damage and shield and are pretty easy if you slap advanced gear on the basic ship then reset into a real run.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

pixaal posted:

In Unnamed Space Idle don't forget to do the Basic Ship achievements they give 10% damage and shield and are pretty easy if you slap advanced gear on the basic ship then reset into a real run.

How advanced is advanced gear?

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

mirarant posted:

To extrapolate further on this: if you have the Auto Navigate AI purchase, you can just automatically navigate out of the sector you're in and to the other path by selecting the sector you want to be in from the Sector Data tab up top.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I also just hit Day 21 of my playthrough, so I wouldn't feel any pressure if I were you, friend

I have found that the Synth modules, if you devote the time to them, very much are worth the investment, though

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sage Grimm posted:

Oh yeah, take full advantage of the game wiki that you can reach by clicking on the game version in the top-right of the page.

I wanted to just note that "wiki" is a bit deceptive. This game has absolutely amazing documentation. Every feature has accompanying documentation added simultaneously, and the documentation is integrated with the codebase. During April Fools events where some resources get mixed around, the documentation automatically compensates so that it accurately describes the goofy resources.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

I also just hit Day 21 of my playthrough, so I wouldn't feel any pressure if I were you, friend
oh then yeah I'm not doing something incredibly wrong

as long as it's not like, a Synergism didn't-go-to-Discord level mistake (god that game was poorly designed despite being great), I don't care :shobon:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

I have found that the Synth modules, if you devote the time to them, very much are worth the investment, though

I regret some of the synth points I spent on things like damage that could have gone on synthing or more module slots...they're a thinbg you can't take back/reassign.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

USI AI points usage:

What have been some top tier QoL upgrades y'all have gotten? I've only pulled the trigger on Research Auto Select and have been afraid of 'wasting' the rest. I'm sitting at 235 and I'm unsure if I should save up for something expensive or grab a bunch of lower cost QoL ones.

Also, are you playing on the web browser like me? I tried downloading the itch client and playing it through there, but after loading my cloud save it gives me a frozen game and nothing progresses.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

explosivo posted:

I accidentally deleted a stack of the gem things in unnamed space idle because I forgot the button combination to combine them and there's no way to undo it or confirmation prompt of any kind. Feels real bad, man!

The game just updated and added a trash slot like in NGU to keep this from happening, so at least this won't happen again!

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Xtanstic posted:

USI AI points usage:

What have been some top tier QoL upgrades y'all have gotten? I've only pulled the trigger on Research Auto Select and have been afraid of 'wasting' the rest. I'm sitting at 235 and I'm unsure if I should save up for something expensive or grab a bunch of lower cost QoL ones.

Also, are you playing on the web browser like me? I tried downloading the itch client and playing it through there, but after loading my cloud save it gives me a frozen game and nothing progresses.

Imo shard automerge is a necessity, it means you can actually walk away for a while and come back to a maxed shard.

Past that nothing seems required? The synth ones that auto create requirements if you don't have it do seem handy and they're what I'm going for next.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I also enjoy the auto-select research one so that I can step away without worrying that some research is only 20 minutes from finishing.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Bloodly posted:

I regret some of the synth points I spent on things like damage that could have gone on synthing or more module slots...they're a thinbg you can't take back/reassign.

this is true, but also, you'll get many, many more in time

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

what's a good ship setup for getting past sector 14? Right now my ship is 2 beam lasers, 1 gatling laser, and 2 continuous shields. it was a pain in the rear end to get this far but I finally got the first base

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

IMO go for 2 Beams and a Normal Laser, the normal laser is an amazing support weapon that really boost the damage of beams. Bulk vs Continuous is a bit more contentious; Bulk is the better choice assuming you can kill a wave of enemies before the next one spawns, otherwise you probably want Continuous.