Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Fighting Elegy posted:

I'm kind of looking for a specific type of game. I played the entire Kingdom Hearts series last year and had so much fun with it and I've been looking for something else to play like that. I've looked at a lot of recommendations and I think I figured out what exactly I'm looking for
  • Realtime combat
  • Lots of cutscenes with voice acting. I prefer lots of short (>10 minutes) cutscenes to having less cutscenes that are longer. I think it builds a good flow, but I'm trying not to be too picky with that
  • Fun immersive, places to explore. If you can jump thats really cool too.

Everyone recommends Yakuza, and I played a good amount of Zero because of that. It is a good recommendation but I have some issues with how exploring town feels compared to Kingdom Hearts, and also the cutscene cinematography is a bit boring and the more realistic aspects don't get me going as much. The sidequests were more fun and silly than everything else but the lack of voice acting and cinematics got me down. Plus the gameplay wasn't exactly straight up my alley.

Pretty much Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear Solid are what I'm looking for here. What are games like that with good cutscenes and pacing while having realtime combat? I did buy Final Fantasy Origins and played a bit, but older games usually draw me in more.

The newer Ys games and Asterigos: Curse of the Stars are good matches for what you want. Ys IX has some pretty neat exploration mechanics that I'm hoping will become more standard in the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The newer Ys games are basically this though they're low budget and the stories are pretty dumb

Yeah Ys VIII would be a good fit. I hesitate to recommend IX to anyone unless they really love VIII

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Vadun posted:

Yeah Ys VIII would be a good fit. I hesitate to recommend IX to anyone unless they really love VIII

I'd recommend Ys VII or Memories of Celceta as starting points over Ys VIII. They're shorter games and they follow the formula of the series a little more closely. VIII and IX are attempts to break away from that formula and IMO VIII didn't quite land it.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Fighting Elegy posted:

I'm kind of looking for a specific type of game. I played the entire Kingdom Hearts series last year and had so much fun with it and I've been looking for something else to play like that. I've looked at a lot of recommendations and I think I figured out what exactly I'm looking for
  • Realtime combat
  • Lots of cutscenes with voice acting. I prefer lots of short (>10 minutes) cutscenes to having less cutscenes that are longer. I think it builds a good flow, but I'm trying not to be too picky with that

Everyone recommends Yakuza, and I played a good amount of Zero because of that. It is a good recommendation but I have some issues with how exploring town feels compared to Kingdom Hearts, and also the cutscene cinematography is a bit boring and the more realistic aspects don't get me going as much. The sidequests were more fun and silly than everything else but the lack of voice acting and cinematics got me down. Plus the gameplay wasn't exactly straight up my alley.

Pretty much Kingdom Hearts and Metal Gear Solid are what I'm looking for here. What are games like that with good cutscenes and pacing while having realtime combat? I did buy Final Fantasy Origins and played a bit, but older games usually draw me in more.

Omensight

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ultrafilter posted:

I'd recommend Ys VII or Memories of Celceta as starting points over Ys VIII. They're shorter games and they follow the formula of the series a little more closely. VIII and IX are attempts to break away from that formula and IMO VIII didn't quite land it.
I'd probably go for Felghana/Napishtim/Origin, to be honest. Not a fan of the party system they came up with for the next set.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I've only played the 2D ones, particularly Origin/Oath/Ark, but they kick rear end and are the perfect games to refresh you on how much gaming owns between larger titles

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Anyone want to make a case for I & II?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Hell no.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

they have good art & music

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

Anyone want to make a case for I & II?

If you put them on easy they're OK but definitely skippable.

VVV yes I have no idea what I was on about there

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jan 30, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
They're great (as long as you go into them with the understanding that yes, they are games from '88 that have been gussied up), unlike whatever the gently caress that post is

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Fighting Elegy posted:

• Realtime combat

Have you played Control, op? The cutscenes are probably not 10 minutes long but there is a wonderful amount of world building material scattered around that's a joy to read and get into.

And can you jump? Oh loving boy can you ever.

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Any recommendations for games like Steambot Chronicles? It was one of my favorite games growing up as a kid and I recently got an itch to replay it. Unfortunately, my copy of it and my PS2 are in a box somewhere at my parent's place (and I live across the country from them) and it looks like there are issues emulating it (black screen at garages etc).

I'm looking for games with a similar vibe: upbeat and quirky with ample side quests and surprising amounts of character customization and freedom. Life simulator aspects optional but appreciated (Steambot Chronicles had a stock market sim, a bunch of different instruments to play in a band, a hunger system, a 'reputation' system...I'm probably forgetting some things too).

Other games I can think of that sort of scratch a similar itch are Custom Robo, Radiata Stories, and Xenoblade Chronicles X.

Akarshi fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Jan 30, 2023

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Fighting Elegy posted:

• Realtime combat

Have you played either of the two newest Assassin's Creed games? Maybe try whichever setting interests you more.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

any good horror games that are not real time? Turn based RPGs or strategies are a bonus but not necessary. Switch or able to run on a lovely laptop is a necessity.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Kvlt! posted:

any good horror games that are not real time? Turn based RPGs or strategies are a bonus but not necessary. Switch or able to run on a lovely laptop is a necessity.

Darkest Dungeon?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Gnoman posted:

Darkest Dungeon?

ive played the hell out of it already, but that is a great suggestion ty

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Kvlt! posted:

Othercide

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Parasite Eve is turn based, creepy and will run emulated on a toaster

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Vadun posted:

what's the deal with IX?

is it by any chance funny bad

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Kvlt! posted:

There are a number of older horror adventure games that'll run on anything. Bad Mojo and Sanitarium come to mind. Couple years ago I played a short indie adventure game about exploring the face of a cosmic horror that crashed to earth, featuring dialogs with the strangely distant people who were investigating it, called Stars Die.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

what's the deal with IX?

I think IX is a little better than VIII but they're similar enough that I can't imagine anyone having strongly different feelings on the two.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Kvlt! posted:

World of Horror

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ultrafilter posted:

I think IX is a little better than VIII but they're similar enough that I can't imagine anyone having strongly different feelings on the two.

Is VIII bad???

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

Is VIII bad???

It's about 15 hours longer than VII or IX and they could've safely cut it down a bit, particularly from the beginning. That doesn't make it a bad game but IMO it's not a great entry point to the series.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Part of the charm of Ys is in it being a sort of bite-size version of a full JRPG. Like you'll do all the dungeons, get all your gear and save the world in 7 hours. The newer ones seem to be more, uh, long normal JRPGs.

That's not really a complaint or a bad thing, it just seems to miss one of the things i enjoy about the 2d games

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

ninjewtsu posted:

what's the deal with IX?

VIII is a fantastical lost island shipwreck adventure

IX is goth cosplay. Not even cool goths

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Fighting Elegy posted:

• Realtime combat

Tales of? In particular, Tales of Vesperia (the remake is available on pc and switch)?

EDIT: 0 jumping during exploration though. But lots during combat, if you like playing as Judith!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

ninjewtsu posted:

what's the deal with IX?

IX is better than VIII in a few ways. The traversal abilities are fun and they go back to a faster-charging, Origin-style boost mode instead of the Extra super-moves that took like ten minutes to charge. Pretty much everything to do with Pendleton Co. and the shantytown is embarrassingly dumb, but the rest of the writing is fine.

ninjewtsu posted:

Is VIII bad???

VIII is my favorite out of all the party-based Ys games.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I've been meaning to pickup Ys VIII, and its cheap on Humble atm.
So, finally bought it.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It’s been forever since I’ve played an RTS and I have a chill weekend ahead of me. The last one I played in earnest was when the original Homeworld came out. I also played the original Age of Empires, and I remember also liking Star Wars: Empire at War (I think that was it?)

Anyways, any recommendations for a good modern RTS? Maybe something simple to pick up (difficult to master is fine). I have Switch, Xbox, and PC.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

LuckyCat posted:

It’s been forever since I’ve played an RTS and I have a chill weekend ahead of me. The last one I played in earnest was when the original Homeworld came out. I also played the original Age of Empires, and I remember also liking Star Wars: Empire at War (I think that was it?)

Anyways, any recommendations for a good modern RTS? Maybe something simple to pick up (difficult to master is fine). I have Switch, Xbox, and PC.

Company of Heroes 3 is out this month

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

LuckyCat posted:

Well, Deserts of Kharak you could check out. That was pretty nice. Homeworld 3 is coming out sometime this year too.

If you haven't, I'd also recommend checking out Homeworld Cataclysm on GoG since it was a really nice game.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thanks! I will keep an eye out for when CoH 3 and HW 3 are out. In the meantime, I will check out HW Cata and Deserts of Kharak.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

LuckyCat posted:

Dawn of War: Dark Crusade and Dawn of War 2: Retribution have IMO the best RTS campaigns of all time.

Dark Crusade has familiar RTS missions spread across a large turn-based planetary map. You move your commanders (with customizable gear and abilities) around to attack or defend regions, which gives you a standard RTS formula mission (build a base while destroying the enemy) except every single region on the map is a unique hand-crafted mission with neat gimmicks. It has a ton of different factions you can play as and they all feel different and unique.

DoW2 gets rid of base-building in the campaign, instead you play as a squad of four hero units which you upgrade throughout the campaign, each has unique active skills, unique gear, and unique upgrade paths (and you also bring a limited number of expendable non-hero units with you). It also has several different factions and their units are very different in playstyle from one another, but they all go through the same missions in the same order in the campaign which is kind of a bummer. But it's the pinnacle of the "hero unit" RTS genre. It also has a fun 3-player co-op wave survival mode where each player picks a hero and defends against an onslaught of enemies. Each character has metaprogression that unlocks new items and abilities for them the more you play as them. That mode is pretty difficult and a lot of fun, it was still pretty active online a couple years ago but I have no idea what it's like now.

DoW1 feels a little dated (it's almost 20 years old) but is still very playable. DoW2 feels fairly modern (but there aren't exactly a lot of recent RTS to compare it to)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 5, 2023

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
If memory serves, DoW2 ended with (probably not an actual spoiler, but just in case someone wants to go in with as little knowledge as possible) the final boss dropping an explosion of rare loot, but then the game ended without a New Game+ option to use any of the loot. I think that was DoW2, at least. My brother and I co-opped through it and were hella mad at that ending.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Shine posted:

If memory serves, DoW2 ended with (probably not an actual spoiler, but just in case someone wants to go in with as little knowledge as possible) the final boss dropping an explosion of rare loot, but then the game ended without a New Game+ option to use any of the loot. I think that was DoW2, at least. My brother and I co-opped through it and were hella mad at that ending.

I think you got that loot in the expansion.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
I have a real soft spot for games where part/all of the mechanics involve ticking off a bunch of objectives or finding a set of items, particularly when you know in advance how many there are (ie so many per level, or it tells you how many when you enter the level). I also love it when there are some standard ones and then some harder ones that you probably need to return to later to find/finish off. On the other hand, it really irritates me when there is no minimap to track where you've been so far, or no way to know how many items/objectives there are or which loose areas they are in. I also don't like it when you need to get them all in one perfect run for them to count.

Obviously Metroidvanias lend themselves to this mechanic, but I'm happy for suggestions from any genre, although my favourites are puzzle games, platformers, and JRPGs.

Some games employing this mechanic that I've played and loved in recent years:

The Talos Principle - Each puzzle has one sigil, but then there are a number of hidden star sigils to come back and find. Each level tells you how many there are.
Iconoclasts - Puzzle platformer which also has item collection for upgrades. Each area gives you an item collected percentage, and the minimap will always tell you if an uncollected item is in a room you've previously visited.
Celeste - Collect all the strawberries, crystal hearts, cassette tapes, etc. You know exactly how many are in each level.
The Witness - In addition to the standard puzzles, there are the environmental puzzles which are explicitly listed on the monoliths and are always in the vicinity of the monolith.
CrossCode - Sidequests are all listed explicitly in each town, the world map tells you exactly how many chests are still unopened in each area, and eventually you can buy a chest finder item that beeps if you enter a screen with a chest.

Even games like the New Super Mario Bros franchise scratched this itch for a while, and going back nearly two decades, I had a great time with Dr Lunatic: Supreme with Cheese where each level had a certain number of brains and candles, each world had a set number of secret items, and then you had a percentage counter for all 70+ worlds. Something about making a whole heap of numbers go up to 100% one success at a time is really satisfying.

Really appreciate any suggestions! PC games please.

cmndstab fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Feb 7, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Try the demo for Tactical Nexus.

It's a dangerously addictive game for the right kind of gamerbrain and probably something that everyone without that type of gamerbrain would hate. You have to deal with some janky translation, but it is That: The Game. I can't even begin to do it justice with an explanation but every level is cleverly designed in a way where there's a buttload of objectives and you're trying to develop the most efficient route through the levels and enemies to check them all off the list - you get metaprogression upgrades from each completed level and those upgrades allow you to go back to previous levels with a stronger start, which then in turn reveals to you that there's exponentially more content in each level, in such a way that every level you complete adds a ton of new content to every other level and :psyduck:

The DLC structure looks weird at first because the prices are strange and go up with every new DLC but that's because each DLC not only adds new content of its own, but it further expands the content of every single other level from the base game and from every other DLC you own, it's wild. The devs are insane visionaries (the game is written in an old BASIC-derived language called Hot Soup Processor which is used to teach elementary school students how to program in Japan) and their vision includes the DLC eventually reaching a point where it costs $100+ each. But the DLC is not at all required, you will simply but it like an addict as soon as you complete the main game (which will probably take months if not years) :hmmyes:

The demo has an absolutely ludicrous amount of content IIRC and I definitely recommend starting with it, because it's a very niche game that's hard to recommend as a blind purchase. But if it's your kind of jam, it is Digital Crack.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Feb 7, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

If you somehow haven't played the Spyro Trilogy just go ahead and pick it up because it's pretty much exactly what you want. There's no minimap but you do have a mechanic that points you toward the nearest uncollected gem so that makes it manageable.

For a more recent take on the 3D platformer collectathon take a look at TASOMACHI: Behind the Twilight.