Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

EmptyVessel posted:

Though if I was being pedantic (lol) I'd point out that sensu stricto making something painfully and needlessly difficult to achieve is not the same as having enshrined legal proscriptions against it and all that entails.
I've met much older, gay men with horror stories about abuse they received (often at the hands of other predatory gay men) before the decriminalisation in '67, so reporting the crime - i.e. battery or rape - against them would have got them into legal bother, and no real attempt to catch the actual criminal. This sort of poo poo went on well into the 80s (and probably still does). See also Section 28.

I can't say I have found looking at it like a competition to be very helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nenonen posted:

All Quiet on the Wanker Front

Apparently not

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

EmptyVessel posted:

Cool.

Good and fair points. Thank you.
Though if I was being pedantic (lol) I'd point out that sensu stricto making something painfully and needlessly difficult to achieve is not the same as having enshrined legal proscriptions against it and all that entails.
I've met much older, gay men with horror stories about abuse they received (often at the hands of other predatory gay men) before the decriminalisation in '67, so reporting the crime - i.e. battery or rape - against them would have got them into legal bother, and no real attempt to catch the actual criminal. This sort of poo poo went on well into the 80s (and probably still does). See also Section 28.

If a woman receives harassment aided and abetted by a media enterprise that demonised her based on who she is, prevents her fom Marrying officially, prevents her receiving surgery, prevents her from being herself in public without threat of violence then your "sensu stricto" can gently caress itself.

It really is the final form of the neoliberalism state that even the oppression it does is loving outsourced.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Radio 4 now deciding to go in on the “if white people didn’t build it then it must have been aliens” grift

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

If a woman receives harassment aided and abetted by a media enterprise that demonised her based on who she is, prevents her fom Marrying officially, prevents her receiving surgery, prevents her from being herself in public without threat of violence then your "sensu stricto" can gently caress itself.

It really is the final form of the neoliberalism state that even the oppression it does is loving outsourced.

That would also be my interpretation, there is a general trend among the right to attempt to produce via distributed societal antipathy what it might once have done by overt application of the state.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Raging Wank
Wank John Malkovich
Wank Without a Cause
Requiem for a Wank

And a new favorite for me, Full Metal gently caress the Tories

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

EmptyVessel posted:

*theory based pedantry*"Be gay, do crimes" works as a slogan because it explicitly references the previous illegal status of (usually male) homosexuality and certain homosexual acts, so existing as gay was a crime in itself. Obviously trans folk can and do often fall under that umbrella, but I am struggling to think of anything that is specific to trans identity or behaviour alone that was/is also a crime. Happy to be educated.

ok first there's all the stuff that was also applied to gay people which you've decided doesn't count for some reason, then there's cross-dressing laws which absolutely targeted anyone who didn't want to live entirely according to norms of their birth gender, i guess some of them were gay too so that makes it totally not victimisation of trans people somehow, then I really doubt that changing your name to something female wouldn't be counted as fraud in many jurisdictions, and also just in general trans people being specifically targeted by police

I would argue that "be gay do crimes" doesn't need being gay to be a specific crime to work anyway, merely a threat to the social order, and so if society is going to hate you anyway why abide by all of its rules

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

smellmycheese posted:

Radio 4 now deciding to go in on the “if white people didn’t build it then it must have been aliens” grift

white people in the british isles at the time could only manage mud huts and a couple of upright stones, so clearly aliens

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

smellmycheese posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001hf8l

quote:

The Great Pyramids of Giza are awesome feats of engineering and precision. So who built them - and how? Was it a mysteriously super-advanced civilization now oddly extinct? Was it even aliens?

Nah, course not! Rutherford and Fry investigate how these inspiring monuments were really constructed, and learn about the complex civilisation and efficient bureaucracy that made them possible.

Professor Sarah Parcak busts the myth that they were built by slaves. In fact, she reveals, it was gangs of well-paid blokes fuelled by the ancient Egyptian equivalent of burgers and beer. And Dr Chris Naunton explains how it was not some mysterious tech, but incredible organisation and teamwork which made it possible to transport massive stone blocks over long distances several thousand years before trucks arrived.

Dr Heba Abd El Gawad points out how racism led to bizarre assumptions in the history of archaeology, and how those assumptions linger in contemporary conspiracy theories which refuse to accept that Egyptians could have built the pyramids themselves!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Yeah I listened to that the other day and they called out all the racism and stuff and barely mentioned aliens. They also said stone henge was poo poo but please don't ring up about it.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Nenonen posted:

What's with no one appreciating a good old-fashioned impaling these days, anyway? Always just putting them to a guillotine or hanging them from their neck. It's not quite the same wholesome family experience as sticking a sharp pole up one's anus and planting it in ground if you ask me.

Do it ''No Country For Old Men'' style; air powered bolt gun to the head, job done... next Tory in the line please. :shrug:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yeah I listened to that the other day and they called out all the racism and stuff and barely mentioned aliens. They also said stone henge was poo poo but please don't ring up about it.

Stone henge: built by poo poo aliens???

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

if we imagine that aliens are a more advanced society than ours i wonder if they’re also having the trouble of building their equivalent of hs2, like a wormhole supposed to go to another galaxy which keeps getting shorter and shorter until they can barely get past their moon

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Diet Crack posted:

I read all of it, fwiw because I find more value in your post than 4 pages of a twitter trend.

Mostly same, I skipped parts I already agreed with but it is a good post even if it's long.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

if we imagine that aliens are a more advanced society than ours i wonder if they’re also having the trouble of building their equivalent of hs2, like a wormhole supposed to go to another galaxy which keeps getting shorter and shorter until they can barely get past their moon

And then due to budget overrun the entrance won’t even be on their home planet anymore, they need to take an orbital tug to get there.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I bet they're aren't even any loop the loops on hs2

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Looks like the Observer might have actually taken things a bit too far this time - LRM appears to be calling his lawyers.

https://twitter.com/lloyd_rm/status/1619653594101460993?s=46&t=iYZfRXxfTLwom9qJ1fqT7Q

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
good wank hunting

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Jel Shaker posted:

Don't worry, they're still going to build the hyperspace bypass.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Darth Walrus posted:

Looks like the Observer might have actually taken things a bit too far this time - LRM appears to be calling his lawyers.

https://twitter.com/lloyd_rm/status/1619653594101460993?s=46&t=iYZfRXxfTLwom9qJ1fqT7Q

Good. I hope he wins.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

sinky posted:

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

sinky posted:

Please

I look forward to it

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Sorry - my mind sometimes exhibits Brownian motion.

That reminds me - Douglas Adams' best ever joke was 'and a source of brownian motion, like a good strong cup of tea'

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

crispix posted:

good wank hunting

I prefer a goodwill wank

Mebh
May 10, 2010

sinky posted:

Don't worry, I'm sure if we protest politely and don't upset those who are on the fence over our impending deaths, things will be fine!

I mean it's not like the Vogons are killing our loved ones NOW. They're just threatening to.

Wouldn't do to get angry or say mean things. Someone might take offense!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I don't think I've ever heard of a successful contemporary civil rights movement from desegregation to gay rights that didn't have both a peaceful wing and a militant wing. Generally people are quite happy to ignore and/or brutalise the peaceful wing forever if there's no sense of urgency, so I think the militant wing serves an important purpose and we shouldn't try to tone police it out of existence. Also,

EmptyVessel posted:

*theory based pedantry*"Be gay, do crimes" works as a slogan because it explicitly references the previous illegal status of (usually male) homosexuality and certain homosexual acts, so existing as gay was a crime in itself. Obviously trans folk can and do often fall under that umbrella, but I am struggling to think of anything that is specific to trans identity or behaviour alone that was/is also a crime. Happy to be educated.
Criminalising use of the """wrong""" bathroom is absolutely a thing in the US explicitly to attack trans people, and I'm sure similar bills are going to be featuring in manifestos for the next general election.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
congrats on your latest 'disgraced former' i guess

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

pumpinglemma posted:

I don't think I've ever heard of a successful contemporary civil rights movement from desegregation to gay rights that didn't have both a peaceful wing and a militant wing. Generally people are quite happy to ignore and/or brutalise the peaceful wing forever if there's no sense of urgency, so I think the militant wing serves an important purpose and we shouldn't try to tone police it out of existence. Also,

Diversity of tactics is an essential part of a social justice movement

pumpinglemma posted:

Criminalising use of the """wrong""" bathroom is absolutely a thing in the US explicitly to attack trans people, and I'm sure similar bills are going to be featuring in manifestos for the next general election.

There are also recent bills in America outlawing drag performances that are defined to include all trans people, not to mention bills outlawing gender-affirming healthcare that would force people to detransition

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Look, if you're rude to the people who want to kill you then you might make them angry and want to kill you.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

smellmycheese posted:

Jel Shaker posted:

white people in the british isles at the time could only manage mud huts and a couple of upright stones, so clearly aliens

Lol you guys mean well but sometimes you're a bit reactionary and perhaps should look a tiny bit more into something before assuming the worst.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

assume the worst and hope for the best

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

smellmycheese posted:

Hannah Fry is decent, got a book of hers at xmas, shes appeared on the Numberphile YT channel a lot.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I can't say I have found looking at it like a competition to be very helpful.

I'm not. Where in my reply am I even hinting at that?
Is this some internet clout/gamer bollox where you can't conceive of things not being about accruing points?
FFS dude.

Josef bugman posted:

Do you even know what sensu stricto means, or how it's used academically?
I already said it was a purely pedantic distinction. Read moar carefully. Try and understand I might have been mocking myself with my over pretension, if you can even conceive of such self-reflexive recursion from your lofty pinnacle of "Correct Thought" (what even is subtext? or humour?).

Angepain posted:

ok first there's all the stuff that was also applied to gay people which you've decided doesn't count for some reason, then there's cross-dressing laws which absolutely targeted anyone who didn't want to live entirely according to norms of their birth gender, i guess some of them were gay too so that makes it totally not victimisation of trans people somehow, then I really doubt that changing your name to something female wouldn't be counted as fraud in many jurisdictions, and also just in general trans people being specifically targeted by police

I would argue that "be gay do crimes" doesn't need being gay to be a specific crime to work anyway, merely a threat to the social order, and so if society is going to hate you anyway why abide by all of its rules

Nice, actual engagement. Thank you.
You are of course correct that it is a perfectly good and useful slogan - the real thrust of that response was more a wry, oh look sloganeering, again.
Again I spot lit the purely pedantic nature of what I was musing. I did not claim anywhere that I know the full everything involved in this poo poo. Or that I was trying to force a hard line between two blatantly completely related groups - functionally one could arguably be seen as a subset of the other so I'd need to be a much bigger fool than I acknowledge being to do so.
I also asked to be educated. Thank you genuinely for your response.

Please expand on "all the stuff that was also applied to gay people which.. [I've] ..decided doesn't count". Specifically what? Genuine question. Not parsing the reply.

I am aware of cross dressing struggles. I used to work with an excellent archaeologist who was also a transvestite in his off time. Not even remotely transexualtransgender or gay - I have this from his own mouth, he was also happily married with a supportive wife who had no issues at all with his transvestism (yes, I know that being hetrosexually married does not automatically mean anything about private, personal sexual identity) - he just felt more comfortable kicking back dressed as a woman.
Please don't conflate transvestite with transexualtransgender. You'd be effectively denying my friend his identity. :)

One of the bravest men I've ever met. He used to walk the full length of Princes Street in Edinburgh on Friday and Saturday nights en route to Fire Island, in full drag. At six foot three, before he put on heels, he was not easily missable. This was back when Embra was much less staid than it is now and he ran the very real risk of a kicking or worse from the mobs of football casuals and other neds who hung out looking for targets. Punks also got singled out for battery.

In point of fact the transexualtransgender people I was aware of in Embra back then were, in my experience (other experiences also valid!), far more likely to be living quietly and successfully under the radar than even the less flamboyant of my gay friends and my transvestite friend.

The whole wider LGBTQ community (not that that term was ever used, or even invented, back then) were much more hidden in general - they loving had to be. I did lights for one of the communities invitation-only parties in 82 iirc. Still one of the most amazing events I've ever been at; dolescum schemie punk gay lads rubbing shoulders (and a lot more) with middle-class accountants dressed as Edwardian sherpherdesses, lesbians foregoing for once their usual neutral jeans and shirt for glam velvet ballgowns, even some poshos, all united by their equality of oppression. They partied very hard, free if only briefly to be fully themselves in a way that I feel much younger generations of LGBTQ folk (one of my daughters is one - she is far more reasonable in carefully, firmly and rationally correcting my missteps than some in here seem to be capable of despite having the age advantage on her 19 year old self) sometimes take a little for granted.

I don't have the time to look (nor the inclination tbh, do your own research y'all *not directed at Angepain tbc*) right now but there is an imo good, and necessarily much better informed than my opinion (I was never "gay" though I looked enough like I might be that I often got hit on friendlily in pubs or clubs, led to some good chat, also got kerb-crawled, much less pleasant), interview fragment from Peter 'Sleazy' Christopherson in England's Hidden Reverse where he suggests that the younger generation, becoming teens post Pride etc., can never understand the sheer joy of affinity, fellow "otherness", that he felt on meeting Derek Jarman or reading William Burroughs. All three of course artists who used their very deviancy as central pillars of their creative practice. These days their identity would be much less freighted with the need to mask or code switch.

It really was a very different world. Too many of my remembered dead are suicides of gay friends back in the 80s and early 90s. Don't anyone tell me I have no understanding of the pain. One of my ex-"Convoy" friends was the minder and protective muscle for a cadre of rent-boys. I moved in all sorts of corners of the shadowy world the "gays" had to inhabit - so I'm not exactly just spaffing shite from a purely theoretical position. I've been an active ally longer than some of you have been alive.

A few years back I was driving down Easter Road on a Friday evening and saw two guys walking hand in hand down the pavement. Yeah nothing remarkable you might say. But it was great to see, in no small part because really not that long ago they'd have quite literally been taking their lives in their hands doing exactly the same thing in exactly the same place.

Right, this took far too long, because I kept getting interrupted by phone calls.
I'm gonna gently caress off now. Things to do.
I still love you all unconditionally, and frankly don't give a gently caress what opinion you may hold of me.
I really don't mind (but I always do care). You're just a pack of cards after all. ;)

fe: Oh, gently caress.

smellmycheese posted:

Your bias/ignorance is showing. "Bullshit motherfucker bullshit" to quote Chumbawamba

I've actually listened to the program and they emphatically state it was not aliens.

Mostly pretty good show. They badly under estimate the sophistication involved in Stonehenge's architectural form, not the building of it but the way it works with it's environment, but that's pretty common. Also failed to acknowledge that the Egyptians had the massive benefit of the loving Nile as transport for the stone moving from quarry to Giza. Movement of the bluestones from Preseli to Wiltshire was a much more complicated and dangerous enterprise.

E; Correcting my loving stupid incorrect use of terminology. Godammit!
Left as struck to expose my shame. gently caress, I'm sorry.

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jan 29, 2023

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

the programme was like absolutely fine, innocuous nothing. like I've listened to it twice just by having the radio on in the background and I can still barely remember anything about it.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Maybe noone gave a poo poo about the Radio 4 show and just wanted to make a joke on a dying internet comedy forum.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

People are not wrong to jump to that conclusion, given that there's that giant shitweasel on netflix who has reignited the ancient aliens 'debate,' and the fact that the tweet is very deliberately written in a misleading way.

Of course nobody's going to stop and do deep research into every tweet they see or we'd be here forever.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

well they are wrong.

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

feedmegin posted:

I passed probation at my job literally a month after lockdown, at which point the company had previously had an option to give you a loan to buy a Tube season ticket. A Zone 1-4 yearly season ticket for the tube is £2,208 - after tax, so being able to skip that was actually equivalent to a bit over £3,000 pay rise. The timing worked out pretty well, really.

I worked 48 hour weeks, rotating from days to nights on 12 hour shifts during lockdown. I might have earned slightly more than £3000 on overtime pay , but not by much.

I used to remember the happy hypoxics, the ppe, the coughing and the body bags- but now I can look back and celebrate somebody earning £3000 for doing nothing.

Thank you.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Dogatron posted:

I worked 48 hour weeks, rotating from days to nights on 12 hour shifts during lockdown. I might have earned slightly more than £3000 on overtime pay , but not by much.

I used to remember the happy hypoxics, the ppe, the coughing and the body bags- but now I can look back and celebrate somebody earning £3000 for doing nothing.

Thank you.

dick move dogatron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogatron
Jun 24, 2020

NotJustANumber99 posted:

dick move dogatron

That is rude.