Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
The greatest thing about ng+ for p5 is the Boomer teacher will never be able to get me with the chalk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
There is actually a minuscule chance that he can hit you even if you've maxed out proficiency.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

CRITICAL!

"Oh no, Joker's down!"

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021
Holy crap, I forgot the game starts to take the training wheels off after the first Full Moon battle in 3. Instead of every five floors for the Elevator, it's like 10 after that.

Level 14 and reached floor 36. Junpei and Akihiko keep getting owned and since I don't have Victory Cry (yet) to abuse HP/MP regening, I'm sweating this "go back to the first floor and pay for heals." Who at Atlus thought changing the free heals on the base of Tartarus was a good idea. I want to strangle them for a bit.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

Holy crap, I forgot the game starts to take the training wheels off after the first Full Moon battle in 3. Instead of every five floors for the Elevator, it's like 10 after that.

Level 14 and reached floor 36. Junpei and Akihiko keep getting owned and since I don't have Victory Cry (yet) to abuse HP/MP regening, I'm sweating this "go back to the first floor and pay for heals." Who at Atlus thought changing the free heals on the base of Tartarus was a good idea. I want to strangle them for a bit.

They changed it in return for your teammates not leaving due to tiredness.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Tartarus showers you with cash and if the friend I'm watching play P3P is any indication, you can effectively spend infinite time in there now.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Did you know there was a Persona Series x Escrit Wedding Service collab event? I can finally marry Joker IRL now.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Alder posted:

Did you know there was a Persona Series x Escrit Wedding Service collab event? I can finally marry Joker IRL now.

It's fun how p3's femc went from completely ignored and presumed non-canon for years to "appears in every marketing campaign"

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
She was a major selling point for Q2, that seems to have been the turning point as I recall.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

OH yeah

Da da da da dada dada

BABY BABYYY

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

Who at Atlus thought changing the free heals on the base of Tartarus was a good idea. I want to strangle them for a bit.

Update: Beat the floor 36 wall, Akihiko and Junpei were causalities, but I'll take that to reach the top Floor 40 before the Full Moon and let me max social links more/work on stats instead of Tartarus right now.

Level 17 or there about to do it, but man... Yukari and Me chipping for 20-25 damage each while using Alp to Posimundi me/her off that status was dicey.

SettingSun posted:

Tartarus showers you with cash and if the friend I'm watching play P3P is any indication, you can effectively spend infinite time in there now.

I'm used to having cash come in at Battle due to P4, so I'm probably misremembering but I recall FES doing the same. Portable doesn't, so you have to get item drops via Shuffle Time or Gold via Shuffle Time to get those. Or go up higher floors and come back later where the chances of Yen in briefcases is higher.

Tip: Don't go poor fusing and using the book, kids. Because that's where most of my annoyance came in. Once you're back in 50,000+ Yen it's less a hit because you can go back to a higher floor and get 2,000-5,000 yen so the 4,000 credit hit isn't as bad for healing your party, but I do think it's a poorer change than "yeah, I'm tired. I'm leaving" because at least Minato could switch Personas and slowly climb or get as far as possible as solo as he could.

lunar detritus posted:

It's fun how p3's femc went from completely ignored and presumed non-canon for years to "appears in every marketing campaign"

She's still non-canon in the greater series lore. Her in PQ2 is fan service IIRC, and Atlus acknowledges the base (mostly) likes her, but they don't really do anything with her. Take P3D: Not even a side-choice for songs. It's the Minato show there.

AnonymouseNo5 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 28, 2023

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Q: both guides I have tried mention talking to Junpei on 5/14 for a quest item. It hasn’t worked either run. Is there something I’m missing?

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

HaB posted:

Q: both guides I have tried mention talking to Junpei on 5/14 for a quest item. It hasn’t worked either run. Is there something I’m missing?

Did you accept the quest for the item that Elizabeth wants BEFORE that date or before Evening? If not, you won't get the item. The guides really should be updated to mention that.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Man, one-daying the first... do we call them palaces? Well, it was a castle anyway, the first dungeon in P4 was really hard. Literally used every single SP item I had on me, but having Seti to null fire made the boss beatable even if it was kind of a slog.

Please ignore the first attempt where I swapped over to Angel so I could cure Yosuke's fear and then Shadow Yukiko busted out her big fire spell as a counterattack against Chie's bufu when her health was almost out.

It is funny how we're now two for two on Yosuke shouting "Don't say it!" immediately before someone tells their shadow that it isn't them. Also I see the seeds of Teddie's creepiness that everyone in the thread complains about, after he'd been rather nice so far. To be fair it is clear he's parroting stuff, but he gets it.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Man, what are you supposed to do about Mamudo spam in the 70s floors? I’m playing on beginner or whatever, so I can restart the battles, but it’s not like a humonculus is easy to come by. How in the world are people doing this without easy restarts?

AnonymouseNo5 posted:

Did you accept the quest for the item that Elizabeth wants BEFORE that date or before Evening? If not, you won't get the item. The guides really should be updated to mention that.

I think you can go get the request and then come back and it will work. Not 100% sure, but I think I did it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

mastajake posted:

Man, what are you supposed to do about Mamudo spam in the 70s floors? I’m playing on beginner or whatever, so I can restart the battles, but it’s not like a humonculus is easy to come by. How in the world are people doing this without easy restarts?
I forget what level ranges you're expected to be in on those floors of Tartarus, but you'll hit a point in any MegaTen where instant kills become commonplace and the answer is usually "become as resistant as possible to Dark/Curse". If you can fuse a null/repel Dark Persona do it, but at least try to Resist Dark in order to cut the accuracy of those moves.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Shyrka posted:

Man, one-daying the first... do we call them palaces? Well, it was a castle anyway, the first dungeon in P4 was really hard. Literally used every single SP item I had on me, but having Seti to null fire made the boss beatable even if it was kind of a slog.

Unless you make good use of personas (i.e. find certain OP ones and use them), it seems that a lot of these battles are slogs. I've just completed the fourth dungeon, whose boss took me around 20-30 minutes to beat for various reasons that I won't spoil. I checked online to be sure, and "standard" strats took similarly as long, so it really was just meant to be a slog.

The only boss that didn't take that long at all for me was the second one. And this is on normal!

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Prowler posted:

I checked online to be sure, and "standard" strats took similarly as long, so it really was just meant to be a slog.

That's why there is a speedrun strat that makes the boss fight relatively straightforward outside of crit chance.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

mastajake posted:

I think you can go get the request and then come back and it will work. Not 100% sure, but I think I did it.

The problem is Junpei is at the dorm, there's no access to the Velvet Room in the dorm and going out finishes the night slot the moment you go back to the dorm even if you didn't do any activity that passes time, so if they saved during the evening slot they can't complete the quest.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Petiso posted:

The problem is Junpei is at the dorm, there's no access to the Velvet Room in the dorm and going out finishes the night slot the moment you go back to the dorm even if you didn't do any activity that passes time, so if they saved during the evening slot they can't complete the quest.

Unless they are only using a single save slot, going back and replaying 2 minutes to swing by the velvet room during the day isn't that bad. And if they are only using a single slot they are going to have way bigger problems both in P3P and pretty much every other game. P3P does have too few save slots but there is no reason not to use all of them, especially if you are following a guide to get all the stuff.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Hel posted:

Unless they are only using a single save slot, going back and replaying 2 minutes to swing by the velvet room during the day isn't that bad. And if they are only using a single slot they are going to have way bigger problems both in P3P and pretty much every other game. P3P does have too few save slots but there is no reason not to use all of them, especially if you are following a guide to get all the stuff.

Yeah I am using all the save slots and saving both times each day. Only had to go back a day to swing by the Velvet Room and grab the quest. All good now.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

P5 Protagonist: Leaps across the room onto a shadow's back and rips its mask off while growling, "I'll reveal your true form!" in a sexy voice.
P4 Protagonist: Jogs up behind a shadow and whiffs his oversized katana before it slithers behind his back and gets a surprise attack.

I hope Thermopylae is in this game, I might actually use it.

Honestly it's kind of charming how hapless the Investigation Team is compared to the Phantom Thieves. Even the All Out Attacks have this clumsy 'kids flailing away' energy to them.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
One of the neat parts of the three modern Persona teams is how different their team dynamics are. Like take the SEES dynamic. They’re obviously the least chummy of the Persona teams, and it stands out in how they interact with each other how important the MC is to unit cohesion. I could never imagine the P4 or P5 teams hitting the point where they pull weapons on each other like in the FES post-game.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Petiso posted:

I never played the original or FES, but it doesn't work that way in portable at night. I like to use that time to buy stuff before going to Tartarus the same night, since I won't need money for anything else at that point. Sunday daytimes it locks you out once leaving though.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Well, now I'm starting to doubt myself, I was confident there was something that prevented you from just accepting the quest/asking for the item/submitting the quest in the very same slot but I'm not so sure anymore, sadly I don't have any save file at the moment to make a quick check.

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021
Nah, you're right. I tried doing the requests during the night and had time pass on going back.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Wtf is this Contrarian King rear end in a top hat? I spent like ten minutes getting it down to almost dead then it did a rampage and killed my entire party, while Yu had a resist physical persona equipped and at full health.

Went back in for another go and it did it on the second round and killed everyone again, and I had Yukiko guarding that turn too.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

Shyrka posted:

Wtf is this Contrarian King rear end in a top hat? I spent like ten minutes getting it down to almost dead then it did a rampage and killed my entire party, while Yu had a resist physical persona equipped and at full health.

Went back in for another go and it did it on the second round and killed everyone again, and I had Yukiko guarding that turn too.

I had to wait a little while and gain a few levels before challenging the post dungeon bosses. Once you make your way back to the tenth floor, you can always quick warp there, so, if you can't get strong enough now, you can always make quick work of it later on.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Shyrka posted:

For some reason, that attack does huge damage to the point where a strategy is hit him and hope it doesn't hit yu that much or he doesn't do it. Wait it off a bit and it hits just like a regular rampage attack. Sadly that Suzaku Feather stays equipped to Yukiko until End Game, so I don't like to wait.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Almost done with P5R and the pacing in this game is truly unreal. Oh you are itching to finally finish the 100+ hour long game? here have 10 identical scenes of girls giving you chocolate for no reason

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

babypolis posted:

Almost done with P5R and the pacing in this game is truly unreal. Oh you are itching to finally finish the 100+ hour long game? here have 10 identical scenes of girls giving you chocolate for no reason

You suffer for being a player.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Have you tried being a normal person? That way you only see one scene.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Pretty sure they all give you chocolate anyway but it's a platonic gift if you're not dating them

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

yeah you get the main scene with your romantic confidant and then a bunch of short and basically identical scenes with all the platonic ones

Anyways finally finished the game. that sure was a lot of rpg. things dragged a bit toward the end but its still a fantastic game

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah for no reason besides weird nerd bait I guess Royal added in scenes for every female confidant who you've maxed out but didn't romance giving Joker obligation chocolates. There's then the scene at Leblanc from the original where either your waifu comes over or your cheating gets exposed.

If you have everybody maxed out then yeah it's kinda ridiculous and Joker ends up getting like 10 chocolates by the end of the day.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Huh, TIL. My bad then.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I mean it is nice to get rewarded for not being a creep.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I think the best part is, at least in Royal, the scenes you get when you don't date anyone at all are all really sweet and wholesome and don't feel like a lesser choice.

For Christmas, you have a nice family dinner with Sojiro and Futaba. For Valentine's day, Ryuji comes over to gripe about his love life and ask Sojiro for dating advice, and Sojiro gives some genuinely solid and positive advice and treats the boys to dinner. For White Day, Sojiro notes that Joker didn't have a Valentine's day date and says that White Day is kind of weird anyway, everywhere else just has Valentine's Day go both way, but he likes White Day because it encourages men to express their emotions, and who cares if it's romantic, you can just be nice to someone you care about. So Joker ends up buying him flowers for being a cool dad and the man is just plum touched.

The only wrong choice is cheatin on your girlfriend (or dating Kawakami/Ohya).

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The dateless Christmas scene is really sweet, drives home even more than finishing either Futaba or Sojiro's confidant just how much the three of them have come together as a family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I was talking with some people about P4, about how I've now dated my two favorites (Yukiko and Marie) and it hurt to turn one of them down in my two runs. But going forward, I'm gonna have to turn them both down so that's 2x the suck. Then somebody suggested dating them both and I was like "cool, I guess it might be funny to be beaten up by all the girls."

Only that is P5? P4 it's all just really depressing and sad and they make you feel like total scum for betraying them like that. Basically 5 plays it for laughs, P4 is deadly serious about it.

Or so I was told.