Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

asciidic posted:

I smoked beef short ribs for the first time on the Masterbuilt and am happy with how they came out.

Took about 8 hours at 250. I didn't wrap or do anything special beyond basting it with wagyu fat and pickle juice a few times. I've noticed a lot of folks recommend wrapping it after the bark sets. I have more in the freezer so I might try that on the next one. Is the purpose of the wrap to shorten the cook time, retain moisture, or just prevent over-smoking?

Those look fantastic. Bet they were delicious. Wrapping cuts down cook time. I don’t wrap unless I have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

honda whisperer posted:

Current title is great but

Slow smoking meat: Smoking a pork blunt at the ski resort

Speaking of thread titles, does anyone recall roughly when this thread's very own food inspector got into the argument with the resident microbiologist to coin the current thread title? (or possibly have it bookmarked)
It must have been several year by now, would love to read up on that again.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

The end/line is here:
I'm a Microbiologist, Dumbass.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Feels just like yesterday

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The health inspecter says we need to cook everything very, very, well done. Sorry thread.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

HootTheOwl posted:

The health inspecter says we need to cook everything very, very, well done. Sorry thread.

Fortunately brisket goes to 200ish anyway which has long past killed anything.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I got a smoke tube for Christmas. Finally got around to ordering some pellets and am doing a dry run in my Weber kettle to see what kind of temp differential I end up with before potentially ruining a bunch of cheese. I have the smoke tube at one end of the grill and a grate probe slightly on the far side of the center.

2.5 hours in and my grate temp is 50F higher than ambient and still climbing (70F vs 120F). Even on a notional 40F day that seems like a problem. Kind of surprised it's that much to be honest. Any tips on how to bring it down? How big of a difference would a pan of ice make?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Found a wsm18 on the side of the road. Was a bit rusty, missing one grate, but looked unused. Fired it up with a pork booty and a rack of ribs and the temp kept climbing. Peaked at 350 before I went to figure out what the hell was going on.

I have a thermoworks billows plugged in and every damper closed. Turns out the main body doesn't seal well to the lower bowl.

Solution: lots of tape

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Mine never fit well and got worse over time, especially after high temp cooks. That’s an awesome solution though! what a great find

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Murgos posted:

Fortunately brisket goes to 200ish anyway which has long past killed anything.

Ahem, :actually:, you're not supposed to pull it pre-225, lest you kill your guests via botulism.

But in all seriousness, my boss has missed every single one of my cookouts over the last three years, and after those three full years of my colleagues raving about my pulled pork/ribs/wings and smoked sausages, he very awkwardly asked me yesterday if i had planned another cookout soon-ish, so I'm currently trying to figure out if I can cram in all four of those into a single event on my lil Masterbuilt Dual-Fuel and getting mild anxiety over it.

I'd love to throw in my still-mediocre attempt at burnt ends, but there's no way my smoker can make all those things happen in one sitting
:smith:

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Get another smoker obviously. Apparently they're just laying on the side of the road these days.

Alternately: gently caress your boss

Edit: not literally though

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Stupid question maybe, but what does everyone use for grinding a bunch of something at once (pepper, etc.) for a rub?

I figured I'd get a couple grinders that I could just use with my cordless drill if needed, but now that they're here I see that instead of adjusting the grind size on the mechanism like I expected, the grind size is determined by the amount of tension on the shaft coming up from the grinder :psyduck:

I don't really feel like attempting to free-hand the appropriate tension when using it in "auto" mode, so these are probably going back.

On one hand, I have an old countertop-based coffee grinder (that really wasn't all that great to begin with tbh) I could probably clean up and repurpose as a spice grinder, although I don't know if it can get as fine as I'd want for spices. (Haven't tried it lately; all I know is that we replaced it because it was incapable of getting the grind fine enough for espresso even though it claimed it could. No clue what it is actually capable of.)

On the other hand, I sorta liked the idea of just grabbing the thing that we use at the table and just giving it a temporary "auto" mode . . . though maybe in the end that's just a bunch of loving around, I dunno.

Figured I'd check with the thread and see what clever ideas are out there that I'm not smart enough to come up with on my own :v:

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I have a big mortar and pestle that I use for grinding my spices. I have to be careful right at the very beginning for spherical spices like pepper which can jump, but you just give everything a quick crack and then I find it works like a charm. Granted you need to ability to stand there and do it, but I find it doesn't take as long as you think.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I use a SHARDOR electric grinder I got off of Amazon. Works well enough for my purposes. Mortar and pestle seems nice for certain things, but if I have to have just one I think I'm good with what I've got.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Internet Explorer posted:

I use a SHARDOR electric grinder I got off of Amazon. Works well enough for my purposes. Mortar and pestle seems nice for certain things, but if I have to have just one I think I'm good with what I've got.

Amusingly, that's what this one is as well.

Maybe I'll pull it down, clean it out, and see what it can do.

Do you need to clean it out between spices or not really?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I do clean it, but I'm definitely on the more "keep stuff clean" side of things. I wouldn't want to guess what spices went in last and if they'll clash with what I put in next. Plus, gotta clean it at some point or it will get bogged down. I suspect if you mostly use the same spices, always use real dry stuff, have a lower threshold for cleanliness, etc., you could probably get away with quite a few uses before cleaning.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Internet Explorer posted:

I do clean it, but I'm definitely on the more "keep stuff clean" side of things. I wouldn't want to guess what spices went in last and if they'll clash with what I put in next. Plus, gotta clean it at some point or it will get bogged down. I suspect if you mostly use the same spices, always use real dry stuff, have a lower threshold for cleanliness, etc., you could probably get away with quite a few uses before cleaning.

. . . I wonder if that's why it seemed like it wasn't very good after awhile. Hmm. (I don't drink coffee so I didn't pay attention to any of this stuff)

Guess I'll see about watching a disassembly video some evening this week :v:

Yeah, the clashing spices is sorta why I didn't want a multi-purpose spice grinder; figured a few individual grinders for the stuff I do buy whole enough to grind and just use the cordless when I have a reason to need enough to automate.

Still, that grinder is literally just RIGHT. THERE . . .

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark
I've been eyeing an electric spice grinder for larger batches and easy cleaning. But a mortar and pestle works fine for small batches.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
After my electric el cheapo repurposed coffee grinder died, i taped my electric drill to the bottom of a Sam’s club sized thing of black pepper corns. Once I got enough tape to hold it, it worked great.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mortar and pestle for small amounts, Cuisinart spice grinder for larger amounts. It will turn rubs into a nice dust.

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-SG-10-Electric-Spice-and-Nut-Grinder/dp/B001C2GWTI

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I bought a spice grinder for cooking from online. Turned out to be a "spice" grinder. And pretty useless for grinding peppercorns, coriander, etc.

Works great for weed, though.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

MrUnderbridge posted:

I bought a spice grinder for cooking from online. Turned out to be a "spice" grinder. And pretty useless for grinding peppercorns, coriander, etc.

Works great for weed, though.

lol

I was actually very recently thinking of upgrading my mortar & pestle to molcajete.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Making pork butte for the first time. It's around 7.5lbs and I plan to cook it at 250. Advice on the internet is all over the place.

Assuming I want it ready for lunch between noon and 1PM with a rest beforehand, looks like I should start it (meaning, meat on and grill up to temp) around 10PM. Basing that on 90 minutes per pound plus a couple hours in reserve. That seem about right? What if I wrap it in butcher paper?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Discussion Quorum posted:

Making pork butte for the first time. It's around 7.5lbs and I plan to cook it at 250. Advice on the internet is all over the place.

Assuming I want it ready for lunch between noon and 1PM with a rest beforehand, looks like I should start it (meaning, meat on and grill up to temp) around 10PM. Basing that on 90 minutes per pound plus a couple hours in reserve. That seem about right? What if I wrap it in butcher paper?

I'd put it on even earlier because you can and should let it rest wrapped in a cooler. Wrapping in paper or foil at the stall is fine, will definitely get it done faster. Take it out of the smoker around 195-200ish, it's going to continue to cook in the cooler. I never try to plan done times very accurately because my wife is tired of me saying something will be done at a certain time and it's literally 4 more hours to get to temp.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
I’d start it around 7-8 PM. That gives you some time to monitor it prior to bedtime. To ensure timeliness, I’d wrap as soon as you wake up no matter what the temp is. Cook until it jiggles nicely or is prone tender, which for me is almost always around 203-205.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Also pork shoulder is hard to mess up so don't sweat it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Always allow more time than you think it’s gonna take. If by some miracle it’s ready early, just wrap and cooler it.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

sinburger posted:

My understanding is it prevents your meat from drying out. Wrapping in tinfoil will speed up the cooking time because you're containing the moisture as it evaporates and steaming your meat. Wrapping in unwaxed butcher paper kind of puts you in the middle, you're not steaming your meat but you aren't turning the exterior to leather by accident either.

Oversmoking isn't really a thing. You'll hit a point where you won't build more of a smoke ring, and you'll hit a point where the meat isn't really taking on more smoke flavor. But unless you gently caress up your fire and have really dirty smoke (that will taste like ashes no matter what), you can't put too much on.

Bob A Feet posted:

Those look fantastic. Bet they were delicious. Wrapping cuts down cook time. I don’t wrap unless I have to.

Thank you for clarifying. I've cooked them a few times since then and they seem to come out delicious regardless of how little effort I put into it. Last time I didn't bother trimming, dry-brining or basting. I just sprinkled on some tri-tip rub, stuck 'em in there for 8 hours, wrapped in paper with a little wagyu tallow and rested for a couple more.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

:gizz:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

This is not an empty quote

by.a.teammate
Jun 27, 2007
theres nothing wrong with the word panties
I saw a video of someone cooking yakatori using those super long lasting charcoal, would those be good for kamados ?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Listen, some people may tell you to check the weather before planning a big project for the weekend. Don’t listen to them. You do not need that kind of negativity in your life.

Is it 3 degrees F out there? Yes. Is it snowing? Also yes. Did I already plan to make sausage? Hell yes.

12lbs of coarse andouille for cooking, and 8lbs of finer grind for grilling and eating. Not pictured, 4lbs I didn’t add milk powder to, but added some dextrose and starter culture to before fermenting and cold smoking. We’ll see how andouille salami is in 2 months.

Coarse

In a pot of red beans for dinner tonight.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
God drat that looks incredible.

Pork butt trip report:
I fell asleep after finally getting my 3 year old to bed, and ended up not getting it on until midnight :shepface:

I got away with it though. Nothing special, just kept it a little hotter than I had originally planned. Top marks to my new Slow N Sear, which kept the kettle at a solid 250-260 for about 8 hours before needing some fresh coals. This in spite of a surprise overnight rain shower and more rain in the morning. I ultimately pulled it off at 195 about an hour before mealtime because the fire was dying and it felt done (it was).

Kudos also goes to my Smoke, which kept transmitting all night despite being wet and wrapped in tinfoil in case it rained again.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
There are a lot of really good Brazilian butcher shops near me.

When I go in I see these great looking four bone beef rib plates. I know that these aren’t the preferred for smoking 3 bone short rib plates but do they smoke up okay? I think the Brazilian method is to cook them slowly over direct heat?

Anyway, I want to get one of these and cook it, any thoughts on how or what to do with it?

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I made a picnic shoulder in my masterbilt. Barely checked the temp and I finally went and it was 190 at about 10 hours. The skin is a bit thick and chewy, should I have broiled it in the oven to render it more? I blowtorched it a little bit but that doesn't really scale up very well. About 95% of the meat was usable, it's not quite as nice as a butt shoulder.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What temp were you cooking at? You want to hit 195-204 and have the meat be tender enough for a probe to slide in like room temp butter.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Comb Your Beard posted:

I made a picnic shoulder in my masterbilt. Barely checked the temp and I finally went and it was 190 at about 10 hours. The skin is a bit thick and chewy, should I have broiled it in the oven to render it more? I blowtorched it a little bit but that doesn't really scale up very well. About 95% of the meat was usable, it's not quite as nice as a butt shoulder.

I usually wrap at 165 or finish in the oven with broth or apple juice and some jalepenos. Ill shred it and toss the liquid in a blender and mix it into the meat.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Comb Your Beard posted:

I made a picnic shoulder in my masterbilt. Barely checked the temp and I finally went and it was 190 at about 10 hours. The skin is a bit thick and chewy,

Have you tried spritzing with apple cider vinegar?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
If I get a picnic I cut the skin off before I cook it. Gotta get all that extra surface area for the rub. I've found that even if I score and rub the skin itself almost nothing penetrates (except what's inside the cuts obviously), and it's all wasted when you throw the skin bits away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Pork butts were on sale and I wanted to try Kenji's sous vide carnitas recipe. I had enough cut from the butt where it didn't make sense to try to trim everything off the bone. So I'm smoking that piece. "Well I'm firing up the smoker so I might as well pick up another butt instead of just smoking like three pounds..."

Long story short, I now have about 14 pounds of pork butt going between the smoker and the sous vide lol