Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CJacobs posted:

"gently caress you and gently caress your Marker" will always, always be one of the most gratifying lines in gaming

i didn't like this line at all because it comes in a "boss fight" that was only written in to appease playtesters, but in any case it's not comparable to what forspoken's doing, because it a) comes at the very end of the game, and thus it b) represents frustration with events, not dismissal of them - and isaac and the player are probably going to be on the same wavelength at that point, having dealt with the marker's nonsense for fifteen hours beforehand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
For some reason this is reminding me of something I've noticed about Deep Rock Galactic. The game does the whole "evil corporation hiring disposable workers that it doesn't care about" thing, but they've actually been kind of walking that back over the course of the last year or so. Most notably, they've been giving more lines to Mission Control that are sympathetic and supportive. He's always been helpful, in the sense of giving you useful advice and guidance, but increasingly it's feeling like he also cares about the dwarves in his charge. Which is nice!

(I mean, the company probably still doesn't give two shits about its dwarves, but as the company's only spokesperson in the game, Mission Control being more sympathetic is a noticeable change)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Oxxidation posted:

i didn't like this line at all because it comes in a "boss fight" that was only written in to appease playtesters, but in any case it's not comparable to what forspoken's doing, because it a) comes at the very end of the game, and thus it b) represents frustration with events, not dismissal of them - and isaac and the player are probably going to be on the same wavelength at that point, having dealt with the marker's nonsense for fifteen hours beforehand

Kind of sounds then like the major issue is that Frey's position and point of view on the game world are incongruous with what you actually have to do to progress. I think it's perfectly acceptable even tonally to say "gently caress this poo poo" (actual quotes) in the face of the baddie spouting Doom Eternal levels of acidic but fantasy-appropriate world building. But if then you still have to climb towers and activate shelters and Infamous your way around to defeat this enemy she supposedly doesn't care about, that's a problem. They did need to make her at least care about what you do even if she doesn't care about the world. See Returnal- Selene wants literally anything but to be on Atropos, but her only goal is to leave so it's not like there's anything to do except analyze all its weirdness, and so there are still text logs which relate to her own life story in weird ways.

edit: That is also fair about Dead Space 2's boss fight, it is hilarious that gamers refused to let poor Isaac Clarke rest without one last hurrah.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 05:53 on Jan 29, 2023

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Little thing in Elden Ring, picking up an item has your character give a satisfied little nod.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

John Murdoch posted:

Even then, I think Spider-Man is cut from a slightly different cloth. Generally he uses zingers to keep his enemies off-balance and otherwise tends to use sarcasm in a "what have I gotten myself into THIS time?" way. With the former, he's still taking things seriously in a sense because it's a calculated tactic, and in the latter case he's inwardly talking to himself with self-deprecation. And it's not his entire personality either way - Spider-Man if anything is more infamous for being an angsty gently caress. Ultimately he lacks that extra layer of self-awareness/ironic distance that truly deflates the stakes.

I actually was thinking you could show the dichotomy by comparing Spider-Man to Deadpool.

And even then, Deadpool is a very different case because he's explicitly got the gimmick of being a genuinely insane person whose delusions happen to be correct, and everyone around him treats him as a babbling lunatic constantly going on about nonsense and making silly jokes even while engaging in ultraviolence. Not to mention his powers mean he's generally on the receiving end of the slapstick. He's a character who's come to be built around a specific kind of comedy, contrasted against a world that's otherwise taken seriously. The movies also make a point of actually having an emotional core, even arguably doing a better job than the X-Men movies themselves in showing what living in a world with mutants is like for ordinary people.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

For some reason this is reminding me of something I've noticed about Deep Rock Galactic. The game does the whole "evil corporation hiring disposable workers that it doesn't care about" thing, but they've actually been kind of walking that back over the course of the last year or so. Most notably, they've been giving more lines to Mission Control that are sympathetic and supportive. He's always been helpful, in the sense of giving you useful advice and guidance, but increasingly it's feeling like he also cares about the dwarves in his charge. Which is nice!

(I mean, the company probably still doesn't give two shits about its dwarves, but as the company's only spokesperson in the game, Mission Control being more sympathetic is a noticeable change)

DRG is a bit of a funny one given the tone is very much tongue in cheek, marrying bog-standard sci-fi cliches to equally bog-standard fantasy ones, and there's also more of a tone that DRG basically cuts out the middleman being up front to the workers that they are very much expendable in an extremely dangerous job. Mission control only gets annoyed at the dwarves when they're obviously loving around, and otherwise is actually professional, wants them to succeed, and recognises and rewards effort.

I think there's also meant to be a bit of an arc going on- DRG has obviously been trying to conquer Hoxxes for a long time now and having a lot of trouble and setbacks, but the player dwarves are actually good at it and they've figured out methods that work. Speaking of, you also see hints of how DRG has tried different tactics and equipment to mine Hoxxes that haven't worked out- like the BET-C walkers and OMEN units showing they've tried using fully automated expendable equipment that ran into its own problems, and mini-MULES in the salvage missions implying they used to give miners individual MULEs rather than a single one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In Hi-Fi Rush there is an enemy that you're not supposed to beat until acquiring a certain upgrade in the next stage. When you're later replaying the level from chapter select with that upgrade, Peppermint comments on how this messes up the entire continuity before CNMN says he will activate the end cutscene as usual.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Dammerung posted:

I'd say that this woefully poor reading of what the article was about indicates that you approached it looking for a way to dismiss it to make yourself feel better about enjoying something unpopular.

Why would I need to feel better about enjoying something unpopular? I just enjoyed something!

CJacobs posted:

Kind of sounds then like the major issue is that Frey's position and point of view on the game world are incongruous with what you actually have to do to progress. I think it's perfectly acceptable even tonally to say "gently caress this poo poo" (actual quotes) in the face of the baddie spouting Doom Eternal levels of acidic but fantasy-appropriate world building. But if then you still have to climb towers and activate shelters and Infamous your way around to defeat this enemy she supposedly doesn't care about, that's a problem. They did need to make her at least care about what you do even if she doesn't care about the world.

The reason Frey is fighting the enemy is because she wants to get home and is told this is how she's going to do it.

Forspoken actually tells a completely sincere story, treats its world seriously, and Frey's character arc absolutely makes sense within it.

Necrothatcher has a new favorite as of 11:31 on Jan 29, 2023

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Of all the things I was expecting Hi-Fi Rush to reference, Xenogears disc 2 was not one of them

https://twitter.com/DucklinQuackin/status/1618749993841725440?s=20

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Necrothatcher posted:

Why would I need to feel better about enjoying something unpopular? I just enjoyed something!

The reason Frey is fighting the enemy is because she wants to get home and is told this is how she's going to do it.

Forspoken actually tells a completely sincere story, treats its world seriously, and Frey's character arc absolutely makes sense within it.

Listen here Mr. Played-the-Game, you can take your context and cram it right where the sun don’t shine! We don’t take kindly to that crap here on the internet.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Necrothatcher posted:

Of all the things I was expecting Hi-Fi Rush to reference, Xenogears disc 2 was not one of them

https://twitter.com/DucklinQuackin/status/1618749993841725440?s=20

I wonder how many people would play this and not understand the reference, and think it's because the devs wanted to be cheap or something.

(I probably wouldn't have realized what it was doing, tbh)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Morpheus posted:

I wonder how many people would play this and not understand the reference, and think it's because the devs wanted to be cheap or something.

(I probably wouldn't have realized what it was doing, tbh)

It is exactly BECAUSE the devs wanted to be cheap that makes it brilliant.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Is that how Xenogears did cutscenes or something? I know nothing about those games and nothing is really jumping out at me.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

moosecow333 posted:

Is that how Xenogears did cutscenes or something? I know nothing about those games and nothing is really jumping out at me.

https://twitter.com/PixelHunted/status/1619714457386766337?s=20

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

moosecow333 posted:

The second disc pretty much opens up in cutscenes and briefly takes a break to let you do a dungeon before going back to cutscenes where the characters literally sit in front of a projector and talk you through the plot.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

moosecow333 posted:

The tl;dr is that Xenogear ran into development budget problems because it was mostly made with newer staff, so as a compromise to not just gut a significant chunk of the game the characters just narrate what’s happening at one point so the entire story gets told in some way. Said narration looks like that new game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

moosecow333 posted:

Basically in that scene from Hi-Fi Rush the protagonist describes an elaborate plan that would probably take a ton of unique assets, cinematics and gameplay to accomplish. It then turns into a sendup of a cutscene from Xenogears Disc 2, which was very infamously truncated into a 95% visual novel due to time and budget constraints. Following this scene the main character rushes onto the stage remarking on the incredible battle that was just fought offscreen.

exquisite tea has a new favorite as of 19:40 on Jan 29, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if you're not familiar with xenogears then it can't be overstated how insanely ambitious the original draft was going to be. the second "disc" if expanded to its full scope would have probably been another game and a half on its own, and this was in an era where jrpg's were already stuffed full of content

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm glad you did, and appreciate your desire to not have anything take it away from you.

Oxxidation posted:

if you're not familiar with xenogears then it can't be overstated how insanely ambitious the original draft was going to be. the second "disc" if expanded to its full scope would have probably been another game and a half on its own, and this was in an era where jrpg's were already stuffed full of content

That's pretty cool! Kinda like a more positive version of what ended up happening to the Phantom Pain. I can always appreciate something that was a little too ambitious more than something that didn't take any risks.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Possibly the first time ever someone has described Xenogears as "a little too ambitious"

Think orders of magnitude bigger

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And even then, Deadpool is a very different case because he's explicitly got the gimmick of being a genuinely insane person whose delusions happen to be correct, and everyone around him treats him as a babbling lunatic constantly going on about nonsense and making silly jokes even while engaging in ultraviolence. Not to mention his powers mean he's generally on the receiving end of the slapstick. He's a character who's come to be built around a specific kind of comedy, contrasted against a world that's otherwise taken seriously. The movies also make a point of actually having an emotional core, even arguably doing a better job than the X-Men movies themselves in showing what living in a world with mutants is like for ordinary people.

Yeah, admittedly even Deadpool's an imperfect comparison because so much has been done with him. The more general pop culture wacky lolrandom concept of DP is closer.

I'm curious how he is in Midnight Suns. The initial marketing didn't give me high hopes but that game nails the character writing for everyone else, so..

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Having played Kotor 2, what games have crafting-systems that are completely optional, yet also disgustingly powerful?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Morrowind, or any Elder Scrolls games I guess. The first time I played through Morrowind I didn't touch the crafting system but by the end of the game I found like I could destroy mountains. The next time I played through it I dabbled with crafting and by the end I could eat galaxies.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Having played Kotor 2, what games have crafting-systems that are completely optional, yet also disgustingly powerful?

Kingdoms of Amalur. You can basically make god tier items pretty early on but they all look extremely simple and boring, meanwhile rare item drops will be like a shield with a lions mouth that breathes flames every time you block.

Fallout 4 is kind of a weird bastardization of it, as you pretty much have to specialize in some kind of crafting to maintain damage creep on your primary weapon as the alternative is having to loot hundreds of enemies hoping to find the upgraded parts to swap out.

Greedfall , you can make tons of insanely cool and pretty looking stuff but it's all just whatever is going to make damage spike the highest.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

credburn posted:

Morrowind, or any Elder Scrolls games I guess. The first time I played through Morrowind I didn't touch the crafting system but by the end of the game I found like I could destroy mountains. The next time I played through it I dabbled with crafting and by the end I could eat galaxies.

I still think the even more entertaining one is Oblivion. It can't do everything Morrowind can, but Morrowind is a game where the NPCs are flat and the physics doesn't exist; you're the god of a particularly large diorama.

Your toolkit in Oblivion might not be as strong, but its world has reasonably plausible physics, and the NPCs are just sophisticated enough to have entertaining responses to the crazy poo poo you do.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

In the Dead Space remake there's a heartbeat sound whenever you encounter the necromorphs. It's very effective at making me nervous.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah, admittedly even Deadpool's an imperfect comparison because so much has been done with him. The more general pop culture wacky lolrandom concept of DP is closer.

I'm curious how he is in Midnight Suns. The initial marketing didn't give me high hopes but that game nails the character writing for everyone else, so..

From what I've seen of his content... he's a wisecracking smart-rear end that no one (other than The Hunter) like, and who frequently breaks the fourth wall in a nudge-nudge-wink-wink way (at the end of his first mission he exclaims he's going to be DLC. When you ask him what it means, he says "Deadpool Living Comfortably. But you know what I mean")

A lot of his humor so far has been more poking fun at video game concepts so far.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
In general a protagonist should fit the kind of story they're supposed to be in. You'd think it's simple writing, but a lot of people and big companies manage to gently caress that up by thoughtlessly slotting in archetypes of Popular Thing together without any consideration or indeed concept of how they're supposed to work together.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

The driving in Cyberpunk 2077 is not good, but on ps5 the adaptive triggers feel great when driving.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Dead Space was something I played but was never really interested in beside thinking it wasn't bad. All this time later, I thought people have been talking about Callisto Protocol. I didn't realize Dead Space Remake is actually that.

Which leads me to a question: why Callisto Protocol and Dead Space remake coming out so close to each other? Surely one is in response to the other.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

RandolphCarter posted:

The driving in Cyberpunk 2077 is not good, but on ps5 the adaptive triggers feel great when driving.

I hated most cars but the little car that you get if you choose the outlaw (or whatever the car people are called) backstory is awesome. That thing was great fun to drive.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

credburn posted:

Which leads me to a question: why Callisto Protocol and Dead Space remake coming out so close to each other? Surely one is in response to the other.

Callisto was announced before the remake and was absolutely Glen Schofeld, who was the director of DS1 and Callisto, doing his take on a modern Dead Space game. I've heard people hypothesizing that the Dead Space remake came into being as a result of Jedi: Fallen Order's success and EA's execs deciding that there is an audience for no-frills single player games, instead of trying to force GaaS poo poo into everything. The Dead Space IP was convenient because its still popular and remakes are hot right now.

I wouldn't be surprised if Callisto's release date was pushed up to try and get out ahead of the remake though.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

1stGear posted:

Callisto was announced before the remake and was absolutely Glen Schofeld, who was the director of DS1 and Callisto, doing his take on a modern Dead Space game. I've heard people hypothesizing that the Dead Space remake came into being as a result of Jedi: Fallen Order's success and EA's execs deciding that there is an audience for no-frills single player games, instead of trying to force GaaS poo poo into everything. The Dead Space IP was convenient because its still popular and remakes are hot right now.

I wouldn't be surprised if Callisto's release date was pushed up to try and get out ahead of the remake though.

EA happened to announce Skate 4 just as Session and Skate XL popularity were hitting their peak.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯
Wyatt Earp and Tombstone were released too close together to be a coincidence

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Wyatt Earp and Tombstone were released too close together to be a coincidence

This is in fact true. Kevin Costner was originally attached to Tombstone but didn't like various things about the script, and so hired Lawrence Kasdan to help write his own vanity Wyatt Earp movie. He then attempted to use his clout within the industry to keep Tombstone's distribution low, which lead to a whole bunch of production problems of its own. Regardless, Tombstone still came out a year before Wyatt Earp and did much better on a smaller budget, probably even becoming a modern classic to all of us 90s kids who watched it on TNT for a decade.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Kevin Costner tried to make his own Mad Max, twice, and failed.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
In the game space station 13 you can wear two layers of clothing, an inner layer that is your uniform and an optional outer layer for things such as space suits. You can craft new uniforms from a variety of raw materials resulting in clothing with the same properties as that material
so for example if you make a uniform out of a highly radioactive cerenkite alloy you get a uniform that would quickly irradiate to death anyone dumb enough touch it or put it on, well today I discovered that if you are wearing a radiation suit as an outer layer you can pick up and wear a cerenkite uniform indefinitely without coming to harm.

I just love it when systems interact like that:allears:

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

coldpudding posted:

In the game space station 13 you can wear two layers of clothing, an inner layer that is your uniform and an optional outer layer for things such as space suits. You can craft new uniforms from a variety of raw materials resulting in clothing with the same properties as that material
so for example if you make a uniform out of a highly radioactive cerenkite alloy you get a uniform that would quickly irradiate to death anyone dumb enough touch it or put it on, well today I discovered that if you are wearing a radiation suit as an outer layer you can pick up and wear a cerenkite uniform indefinitely without coming to harm.

I just love it when systems interact like that:allears:

space station 13 is one of those games I hear about every now and again, get the urge to try it out and never actually do. here I go again...

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
^^^^
If you want to try it out I recommend you stick to the goonstation servers since they are well moderated and very friendly to beginners.
Here is a link to a starting guide https://wiki.ss13.co/Getting_Started

Veotax
May 16, 2006

1stGear posted:

Yeah, the Dead Space remake is likely a reaction to EA having success with a straightforward singleplayer game with no online or mictortransaction bullshit in Fallen Order, and the Resident Evil remakes being a huge success.

So they decided to dig out their horror franchise and pull off a drat good remake that (thankfully) has more in common with the Resident Evil 1 remake from the Gamecube, so it has everything from the original plus new stuff, and not like the Resident Evil 2 & 3 remakes, which are retellings of the original games and have a ton of stuff changed (and a ton of cuts for RE3).
I like the RE2 remake, but it has some unfortunate cuts from the original game and RE3 is somewhat infamous for having a ton of stuff missing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In general I prefer not to post incremental changes or QoL improvements from later games in a series as those don't feel like they're in the spirit of the thread to me. There are many changes in Horizon Forbidden West that improve on HZD but one in particular is a neat idea/update rather than a fine tuning or update imo.

Previously when you needed parts from a specific machine you could hunt some and harvest the parts you needed from the body. Now, for rarer parts you need to take care and snipe those components off before defeating the machine. It makes the actual "hunt" aspect feel cooler to me. Taking care to snipe off a charging deer-mon's antler before finishing it off is badass.