Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Crazypoops posted:

Honestly though, whoever programmed this survival horror game is an rear end in a top hat

"Just consume less" has always been right there

We're on easy mode, we're just that stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
you can't tell me what to do. that's ecofascism. you're doing an ecofascism

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
oy they nicked me chlorophyll

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

you can't tell me what to do. that's ecofascism. you're doing an ecofascism

i have now been informed in two separate and independent incidents that the poo poo going on with eggs in the US is all part of the plan. The anti-meat pro-soy eating lobby is trying to make American Men weak and control them with this nonsense about the environment changing

the environment changing is natural you liberal cuck

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Car Hater posted:

All we had to do to win was put the fire in the cave and run fast from the tiger to get it and wave it around when needed, we would have been #1 forever

A million years of Flintstones society, no problem

We're the assholes

as much as i love primitivism, no

"The largest mammals have always been at the greatest risk of extinction – this is still the case today posted:

Look at the size of mammals over human history and we see a clear trend: they’ve gotten smaller.

We now have lots of evidence for this decline in mammal size from across the world.

See the changes in the Levantine – the Eastern Mediterranean – where researchers have reconstructed the mass of mammals in the region going back more than one million years.1 To do this they look at the fossils that are preserved in sediment layers; these sediment layers can be dated and let us leaf through the pages of the past. It lets us see what animals were around one million years ago; 500 thousand years ago; or ten thousand years ago. Note that the researchers did not include small mammals (those weighing less than 400 grams) in this dataset – these would have been very abundant across the record.

The results are shown in the chart.

We see a steep decline in the average mass of mammals over time. Over the last 1.5 million years, the mean mass of hunted mammals decreased by more than 98%.2

1.5 million years ago, our Homo erectus ancestors were roaming the earth with mammals that weighed several tonnes. There were the ‘straight-tusked elephants’ (which weighed between 11 and 15 tonnes), the Southern Mammoth, and incredibly large hippos. Species-by-species, these majestic animals began to disappear.

The evidence points toward one main culprit: humans.3

The small (our ancestors weighed around 60 kilograms), but big-brained, hominids hunted them to extinction.4

It is staggering how few of our ancestors were around at the time. Globally, there would have been a few million at most. In any given region, the population would have been the size of a small town today.

The record suggests that humans have always hunted the largest mammals.5 This makes sense: it gives a good return on investment. One successful kill could feed a family for a long time. Bigger mammals are also easier to spot and track down.

As we see from the study in the Levantine, until around 20,000 years ago, most mammals were bigger than humans. But since then, the majority have been smaller.

This overhunting of large mammals might have been the catalyst for our ancestors to engineer fine and intricate tools. Once we had run out of big animals to eat, we had to engineer tools to catch the smaller ones.6

12,000 years ago the average mass of mammals was around 30 kilograms. Around half a human. This is around the time that farming began.7

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 05:27 on Jan 29, 2023

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Hubbert posted:

Lol lmao

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Hubbert posted:

The mammoths & other elephants wouldn't have died out if they weren't too good to take jobs as vacuum cleaners or heavy construction equipment like god intended :colbert:

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Car Hater posted:

The mammoths & other elephants wouldn't have died out if they weren't too good to take jobs as vacuum cleaners or heavy construction equipment like god intended :colbert:

yeah i might be curious what my garbage disposal tastes like once or twice but in the end i still need a garbage disposal

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Koirhor posted:

we had electric trains in the 1930’s

we even had electric cars in the early 1900s

but then combustion engines advanced and ford marketed them as 'manly' compared to the electric city cars

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Evil_Greven posted:

we even had electric cars in the early 1900s

but then combustion engines advanced and ford marketed them as 'manly' compared to the electric city cars

We had electric cars in the 1800s

People at the time even recognized how less gross they were than the alternatives, and we still went all in on burning gas

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
mcmahon meme

lol
largest mammals at risk for extinction
obesity epidemic
lmao

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Car Hater posted:

Car Hater, I understand the desire to return to monke. I even understand why the Gods punished Prometheus stealing fire and gifting it to humanity.

The thing is, we can never return to the biosphere we once had. Eden is gone. This little evolutionary experiment we're currently part of, well ...

It'll be a remarkable event in Earth's geological history.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I point back to my record of multiple years of advocacy for the immediate nuclear annihilation of all mankind in response to the notion that I have any cracks left to ping

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
I just want my appliances to have ennui but not batteries

*Rotifer stops washing dishes and looks at the camera*

"Eh, it's a living"

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
They really should have gradually made Fred's rack of brontosaurus ribs in the intro smaller and smaller over time though

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Car Hater posted:

I point back to my record of multiple years of advocacy for the immediate nuclear annihilation of all mankind in response to the notion that I have any cracks left to ping
There are always more cracks to ping.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Hubbert posted:

There are always more cracks to ping.

you can always discover that whatever you're doing is having the opposite effect of what you intended. :nsa:

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Zodium posted:

you can always discover that whatever you're doing is having the opposite effect of what you intended. :nsa:

i would be devastated if i found out those batteries i've been throwing in the lake haven't been recharging the electric eels

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

they have and the eels are becoming too powerful, they're destroying the ecosystem!!

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Highly funded tech startup develops a massive "microplastic magnet", touted and praised by all media outlets (finally we can... keep doing what we've been doing!)

A crazed scientist activates it - "SHARE YOUR MICROPLASTICS WITH ME" - turning every living thing but himself within several miles into a fine red mist.

He admires the gigantic sphere of plastic.

His radio crackles "CAST IT INTO THE SUN, DOCTOR!"

He slowly smirks, isildur-ishly. "....No"

Katamari damacy origin movie.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
do we think there’s an eccentric doom-pilled billionaire out there currently building a hidden cache of knowledge for possible future intelligent life that would come post-humanity?

the last bunker

coming soon to a theater near you

Dystopia Barbarian
Dec 25, 2022

by vyelkin

Popoto posted:

do we think there’s an eccentric doom-pilled billionaire out there currently building a hidden cache of knowledge for possible future intelligent life that would come post-humanity?
Lol, no. I for one do not. If a billionaire gave a gently caress about humanity they wouldn't be a billionaire, and they sure as poo poo wouldn't be focusing on building bunkers.

They're narcissistic parasites at best and sociopaths at worst. That's the entire billionaire spectrum, change my mind.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
yeah like that was my question: is it even possible? a single one having a pang of illumination? a class traitor to their own kind?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Popoto posted:

yeah like that was my question: is it even possible? a single one having a pang of illumination? a class traitor to their own kind?

Engels started somewhere

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It's not possible to accrue one billion dollars with any shred of humanity left in you.

quote:

And, for an instant, she stared directly into those soft blue eyes and knew, with an instinctive mammalian certainty, that the exceedingly rich were no longer even remotely human.

You can for the most part live comfortably for the rest of your life on a windfall of a few million dollars, if you have any sense of humility and dignity. Anything after that is just screwing and robbing people every step of the way.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Dystopia Barbarian posted:

Lol, no. I for one do not. If a billionaire gave a gently caress about humanity they wouldn't be a billionaire, and they sure as poo poo wouldn't be focusing on building bunkers.

They're narcissistic parasites at best and sociopaths at worst. That's the entire billionaire spectrum, change my mind.

i guess there's the possibility they're doing it purely to be praised and improve their reputation, with the additional benefit of the miniscule possibility of being remembered and well-regarded in the very far future. billions buy you a lot of things, but i don't know what the price of a permanent place in history is. i can't think of anyone who is remembered purely for their wealth, at least not long term, and not to the level of pharaohs or emperors or people who had cultural impacts like that annoying smartass dipshit socrates. i imagine it's the sort of thing that could drive some hardcore narcissists crazy

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
lmao there's a show in CBS called "Fire Country".

ahaha they just make lovely television about our world catching on fire

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

European drought continues.

500 year old hunger stones showing

Europe. Lack of snow, future melt water.

Hello summer 2023!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

saw that commercial come up right at the loving 8 second mark of the bengals game

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Popoto posted:

the last bunker

coming soon to a theater near you

If this were to happen it would not be an accurate retelling of history. It'd be a monument to their own hubris, and they'd probably cheap out on it such that it doesn't last.

Tony Tone
Jun 14, 2020

by vyelkin

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Does the thread have a background image and if so can we make this it

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

just use the fuel saved on heating to pump water into the right places

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
https://twitter.com/InsulateLove/status/1619272143128375296?s=20

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Microplastics posted:

Does the thread have a background image and if so can we make this it

i did what i can

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'll take it

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Is there some other way to "sort things out" than hope for AI taking over the control and forcing human's political and military leaders to bend the knee to AI? World is going go poo poo because every leader has people below them they need to worry about. So the leaders worry more about people instead of the planet and biosphere. Thus making humans completely unsuitable to lead humans.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Ihmemies posted:

World is going go poo poo because every leader has people below them they need to worry about. So the leaders worry more about people instead of the planet and biosphere.

you're gonna have to explain to me what demented train of thought led you to the conclusion that the people currently in charge worry about the people below them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i've got bad news about an AI given the ability to fix the problems with the biosphere

we are the problem with the biosphere