Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Why is the whistle electronic? Why do you still need to blow through an electronic whistle to activate it?

Only bosuns are allowed to know these answers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
One bosun whistle out of ten on every Starfleet vessel plays a dubstep remix of Hail to the Chief and it changes randomly so you won't know what it will play until you blow into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZvV4okagms

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Legit, I think they made the Titan-A as ugly as possible to sell people on the Enterprise-F as an upgrade replacement for it.
I'm pretty sure the Titan-A is the result of some producer taking the Constitution-refit and saying "make a version of this", like they did for the Akira and NX-01. The overall silhouette isn't that similar because of that weird-rear end secondary hull, but there's so many tiny details that are ripped straight off the Ent-A.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Why is the whistle electronic? Why do you still need to blow through an electronic whistle to activate it?
This is already a thing.
https://www.ceremonialbugle.com/

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

nine-gear crow posted:

Also here's a non-region locked version from PStew himself for people not in the US:

https://twitter.com/SirPatStew/status/1619862834610839557

The lines about blowing stuff up etc really sound like they were written by someone who has never seen TNG or has any idea what it's about.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Wheezle posted:

The lines about blowing stuff up etc really sound like they were written by someone who has never seen TNG or has any idea what it's about.

Were they? Were they really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwDAiAKhsCs

:v:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Wheezle posted:

Or from a character in universe. What we are told life on the Ent-D was like and what actually happened to it over the 8 years it existed is a big contrast.

Every 2-3 weeks there would have been another Starfleet news update with everyone crowding around to hear what crazy poo poo the Enterprise had got up to now.

This video, but the list of things that for any other officer would be a career defining or ending moment just goes on for an hour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzhgEGeKcbo

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Knormal posted:

I'm pretty sure the Titan-A is the result of some producer taking the Constitution-refit and saying "make a version of this", like they did for the Akira and NX-01. The overall silhouette isn't that similar because of that weird-rear end secondary hull, but there's so many tiny details that are ripped straight off the Ent-A.

This is already a thing.
https://www.ceremonialbugle.com/

The Titan-A is a version of a movie-era fan design that looks actually pretty good in the original version, but has been ruined by updating it to 25th century aesthetics.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yeah it’s the texture, the nacelles, and that deflector. Bill Krause’s original Shangri-La model looks good.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Many people say TNG last episode being 45 minutes of the crew having a rather boring day, then the ship exploding for no explained reason, killing everyone, was a bad way to end the series, but honestly I say it thematically was very fitting.

Sometimes spaceships just explode. Important life lesson that.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Oh is that what this is that came up when I was GISing the Titan?

I don't really mind either version? The 2280's version looks like a logical midpoint between the Constitution and the more rounded Excelsior, but the chopped-up saucer seems wrong for the time and seems more like something they'd do in the late 2300's.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

dr_rat posted:

Many people say TNG last episode being 45 minutes of the crew having a rather boring day, then the ship exploding for no explained reason, killing everyone, was a bad way to end the series, but honestly I say it thematically was very fitting.

Sometimes spaceships just explode. Important life lesson that.

It was honestly a nice denouement to the penultimate episode that was just 45 minutes of kicking, punching, shooting, and screaming.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Knormal posted:

Oh is that what this is that came up when I was GISing the Titan?

I don't really mind either version? The 2280's version looks like a logical midpoint between the Constitution and the more rounded Excelsior, but the chopped-up saucer seems wrong for the time and seems more like something they'd do in the late 2300's.

https://twitter.com/TerryMatalas/status/1619412808676020224

Matalas has an absolutely gorgeous model of the Titan-A that someone made for him and that version of it actually looks really good compared to the on-screen version of it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I will say it looks better in the new trailer than it did in the earlier ones.

I think the design is salvageable if they did go to series with it, they just need to fix it up. The top front of the hull needs something there, even if it's just better texturing, the nacelles need adjusting, I really don't think the visible lightbulbs in the bussards work, and the impulse drives need to be made a bit more coherent (there's like three different designs for impulse engines on there, make them look related to each other even if they're different shapes). I think some tweaking to the self-illuminating could help too, it's highlighting the shape badly and calling out areas in a way that makes it look more awkward than it needs to.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 30, 2023

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
When the ship was revealed Matallas said his favourite thing ever was the Constitution-class and the Titan-A is literally a "Constitution-3 Class" so you don't need to speculate on where the demand for "make it look like a Connie" came from!

My only thing with the design is actually more theme related than visual, which I'm mostly fine with - if the Titan, an advanced ship that would have fit right alongside the First Contact era of Starfleet ships achieved such notable feats that it achieved legacy registry status... shouldn't it's successor be something pretty top of the line to match that prestige? Yet here it is as this smaller ship with an out of time aesthetic.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Seemlar posted:

My only thing with the design is actually more theme related than visual, which I'm mostly fine with - if the Titan, an advanced ship that would have fit right alongside the First Contact era of Starfleet ships achieved such notable feats that it achieved legacy registry status... shouldn't it's successor be something pretty top of the line to match that prestige? Yet here it is as this smaller ship with an out of time aesthetic.

The Titan-A is smaller as a feature, apparently: the massive impulse engines and smaller size combine to make it hypermaneuverable and also incredibly fast at sublight, and that'll be called out in the show and put to use according to Matalis.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Seemlar posted:

When the ship was revealed Matallas said his favourite thing ever was the Constitution-class and the Titan-A is literally a "Constitution-3 Class" so you don't need to speculate on where the demand for "make it look like a Connie" came from!

This has also been a Starfleet that's been at relative peace for the 15 years since the Living Construct hosed up one quarter of the fleet and the Mars Synth Rebellion finished off the other three, so maybe there has been room since then to experiment with some more throwback designs for certain vessels?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's a shot at 0:40 of some guy handling Riker down some stairs in a wheelchair? Maybe he gets permanently injured.

Even though we saw a fancy new starbase in an earlier trailer, it's nice to see good ol' ESD knocking around.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

MikeJF posted:

The Titan-A is smaller as a feature, apparently: the massive impulse engines and smaller size combine to make it hypermaneuverable and also incredibly fast at sublight, and that'll be called out in the show and put to use according to Matalis.

Against all odds that's actually kind of reassuring?

nine-gear crow posted:

This has also been a Starfleet that's been at relative peace for the 15 years since the Living Construct hosed up one quarter of the fleet and the Mars Synth Rebellion finished off the other three, so maybe there has been room since then to experiment with some more throwback designs for certain vessels?

Now I'm going to fixate on Matalas love of starship broom theory and think about how maybe Starfleet just needed to turn to refurbishing old hulls or using them as the framework for new ships after the fleet had it's resources shredded multiple times in the space of 20 years

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They even added him to the new poster along with Lore

Lore also looks like he’s wearing the same Commodore’s jacket as Geordi, minus the rank. They’re probably going to say Geordi’s been working with him and Moriarty for some reason.

I kinda like how it looks like Geordi's gonna be much more central.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
I like the titan a, and i like it much more than the discovery

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Trailer really pushed me back towards just expecting more Picard. Dark movie ships and big season long big bad build up, they can't help themselves. One episode per season, every season.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Got to see nine seconds before it remembered to pointlessly block the video for my location, I consider this a kindness.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
That new ship in the trailer is another Bill Krause design

https://twitter.com/buckadmiral/status/1619874799047802882?s=46&t=hdlMFl1NJCAWDsoDYwHDQw

https://twitter.com/buckadmiral/status/1619878153434058754?s=46&t=hdlMFl1NJCAWDsoDYwHDQw

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Seemlar posted:

The Luna-class was supposed to be mid-sized, it makes sense to me its successor would be a similar role.

Really I have more of an issue of the Titan being the first non-Enterprise to get a letter, Discovery's 32nd-century callbacks notwithstanding, but I guess 25th-century Starfleet's loosening the rules.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I liked the new Stargazer a lot last season, and I'm starting to like these Krause designs a lot too. I think sharing a trailer with an Odyssey might be what did it. Never did like that thing, so just about anything flying next to it will look better

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Knormal posted:

The Luna-class was supposed to be mid-sized, it makes sense to me its successor would be a similar role.

Really I have more of an issue of the Titan being the first non-Enterprise to get a letter, Discovery's 32nd-century callbacks notwithstanding, but I guess 25th-century Starfleet's loosening the rules.

Voyager beat the Titan to a letter in its registry by about a decade. NCC-74656-A is out there somewhere as of the end of this season of Prodigy, and we know it eventually goes up to J by the time Discovery lands in the 32nd century.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

nine-gear crow posted:

Voyager beat the Titan to a letter in its registry by about a decade. NCC-74656-A is out there somewhere as of the end of this season of Prodigy, and we know it eventually goes up to J by the time Discovery lands in the 32nd century.

While that's totally just backdating it from Disco, that also makes more sense given Voyager's journey and how important it and project pathfinder were, and also Janeway is an admiral, she made a hologram of herself, she's drat well making sure her ship sticks around.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

MikeJF posted:

A littoral combat ship. Hope the hull doesn't dissolve in salt water!

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
Even in 32nd century times I think we're still on six* ships getting legacy registry treatment so it's honestly not bloated yet, and Voyager I think is pretty worthy since we do know what it's incredible feat was

*Not including the Yamato which was an error, or the fake Dauntless

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Has there ever been a test audience that actually improved a movie rather than making it objectively worse

Generations originally had Kirk just getting shot in the back. The test audience's reaction to that contributed to the decision to spend an extra $5 million dragging everyone back out to the desert to re-shoot the ending.

FlamingLiberal posted:

So are they just going to retcon the idea that Data permanently disassembled him at the end of 'Descent'?

Data just says that's what should happen, we never see it actually done (no, that's not what he does when he turns Lore off in that one scene), plus carrying out the equivalent of a death penalty (especially without a trial!) would be hosed up anyway.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

He's a great actor and probably plays a cool character we'll come to love so like Rios, :byewhore:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Data just says that's what should happen, we never see it actually done (no, that's not what he does when he turns Lore off in that one scene), plus carrying out the equivalent of a death penalty (especially without a trial!) would be hosed up anyway.

Also where did Lore get his saggy old man body and/or skin from? I'm assuming that's going to be explored a bit in Season 3. Maybe Lore's old body was disassembled and put in storage and his consciousness was downloaded into a new form? Maybe something even dumber happened? We don't know... yet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It was well established in TNG several times that Soong gave Data ageing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

It was well established in TNG several times that Soong gave Data ageing.

I get that, but it's funnier if I picture Lore as Creepio from the Auralnauts' Star Wars saga, just him constantly screaming "FATHER! YOU PROMISED ME FLEEEEEESH!"

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Geordi probably pulled some strings as a Commodore to reactivate Lore in an attempt to rehabilitate him or merge him with Data (into... Datalore.)

Waited until the Synth ban was lifted. And he could have deliberately made Lore old and slow as a contingency.

I doubt Spiner is going to play a villain the entire run for the reunion season.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Soong secretly gave Lore an “aging badly” program and every scene is just him being furious at how terribly human all his joints feel now

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Soong secretly gave Lore an “aging badly” program and every scene is just him being furious at how terribly human all his joints feel now

"Every movement is AGONY for me, Geordi!"

"...Good?"

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

nine-gear crow posted:

I get that, but it's funnier if I picture Lore as Creepio from the Auralnauts' Star Wars saga, just him constantly screaming "FATHER! YOU PROMISED ME FLEEEEEESH!"

Oh please, let Picard season three’s MacGuffin be a variation on the Singularity Engine.

It’s beauty shall be haunting.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh yeah, I forgot Prodigy did that. I'd agree that Voyager deserves the honor as much as any ship could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

The car crash sound effect used at the end still makes me burst out laughing every loving time.

Khanstant posted:

Trailer really pushed me back towards just expecting more Picard. Dark movie ships and big season long big bad build up, they can't help themselves. One episode per season, every season.
Between the trailer and the tweets, I'm really hype to be completely let down.