Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

..btt posted:

Trip report: Dragon's End with 50 core ele's camping fire attunement. And one guy who insisted on playing tempest...

Result:

6:30 remaining, better than most LFG groups I've joined :v:

I saw Teapot's stream of this. The sheer amazement of how effective this "challenge" was and how sad Sneb was that it was on par/better than actual organized subgroups with alac/quickness was great to watch.

Looking forward to more ele nerfs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The Fire Elementals were carrying the Fire Elementalists.

Luggage
Aug 29, 2009

ApeHawk posted:

I saw Teapot's stream of this. The sheer amazement of how effective this "challenge" was and how sad Sneb was that it was on par/better than actual organized subgroups with alac/quickness was great to watch.

Looking forward to more ele nerfs
Inb4 nerf because Ele is once more "meta defining" xD

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
I remember doing a couple of those meme runs early on. My favourite were all minion core necro and all untamed (which was really close, like 30 sec - but I believe most people (myself included) had no idea how untamed even plays :v: )

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I feel like you could do that kind of thing with any half decent build, and it's more just about having a willing squad who knows how to use the build

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Strong composition. Weak composition. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled gamers should try to win with their favorites.

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

My controversial opinion is that the meta is more likely to succeed when everyone's actually playing and not just afk'ing under a waypoint.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

404notfound posted:

I feel like you could do that kind of thing with any half decent build, and it's more just about having a willing squad who knows how to use the build

A group of organized, attentive people playing their hearts out for a meme/stream is going to beat the randos you normally get in DE every time.

Tambaloneus posted:

My controversial opinion is that the meta is more likely to succeed when everyone's actually playing and not just afk'ing under a waypoint.

The #1 thing I hate about all metas is how lack of a skyscale means you can't follow people to learn it organically, but a very close #2 is that they have these big ending encounters like a strike but aren't repeatable. If five people new to the fight fail to dodge the sniper shot they get told why they failed and you go again. When you fail to kill the dragon at 20% the best feedback you're going to get is people saying something whiny like "gg no cc" in chat before leaving. I still have no clue why vineheart failed the one time I did it because everyone had already left before it actually failed.

Also I'm sure every comment I make is just rehashing a discussion that's been had for the last decade. :v:

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Mailer posted:

Also I'm sure every comment I make is just rehashing a discussion that's been had for the last decade. :v:

That's the whole mmo forum

Make that every mmo forum

And mmo YouTube channel

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Mr. Neutron posted:

I remember doing a couple of those meme runs early on. My favourite were all minion core necro and all untamed (which was really close, like 30 sec - but I believe most people (myself included) had no idea how untamed even plays :v: )

i've started playing untamed during fractal runs. it never ends well, it isn't fun, but somehow i forget that each time and bring it anyway

eventually i'll learn, maybe.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

The DE meta can fail because.

Just because.

Ive been in one where our dps was amazing. we hit the last 20% with 8+ or so minutes on the clock.

And she never sat still, and just kept being undamageable.

We failed with 2%.

Admittedly i think they have tamed that down abit and ive havent seen it happen again for a while.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Nah, at least post-nerf it's not just random - the hardstuck meta trains literally never fail DE, and I'm sure there are plenty of other regular groups that are the same. If your dps is high enough there won't even be time for many swaps.

If enough players have a basic idea of combat mechanics and the fight itself, you'll always succeed. Which should tell you all you need to know about the average open-world meta player :(

..btt fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Jan 30, 2023

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

..btt posted:

If enough players have a basic idea of combat mechanics and the fight itself, you'll always succeed. Which should tell you all you need to know about the average open-world meta player :(

Having ARC dps running during OW events will hurt you to the core. When I'm being extra lazy I run the low intensity scourge pet build in full celestial. My DPS is not great because I'm built to be invincible. AND YET! I'm still in the top 10 for dps on Chak Gerent regularly. DE can fail just because other players just don't understand the game.

Heck, for years I didn't really know what I was doing. Before sites like metabattle I would just gently caress around with a build and follow map chat advice of "wear full zerker". Naturally HoT kicked my rear end. rooted gs2 in zerker and an upoptimized build had aoe's melting me.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Oh to be in my 20s again with no kids and a whole afternoon to pug AC story at level 32. Those were the days :allears:

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Guest2553 posted:

Oh to be in my 20s again with no kids and a whole afternoon to pug AC story at level 32. Those were the days :allears:

Make a new toon, use tomes to 32.
Only use the gear you get from using the tomes.

WE'll meet at the wp!

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Ok, going to do world completion on my guardian.

Do i want celestial firebrand or power dragonhunter?

I want something low intensity ><

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Meskhenet posted:

World completion takes 0 skill whatsoever so play whatever you feel like. I guess power is best because of all the objects you'll have to destroy? But celestial firebrand may well do enough power damage not to notice.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Meskhenet posted:

FB if you're looking for a one size fits all solution, it's plenty powerful enough to roll through everything and has good survivability and support for the group content and trickier HP challenges. Super easy.

That said, if you're open to spending a few extra gold on some named zerker armour and weapons bow I'd recommend a longbow/sword+focus variant of DH for stuff where you don't necessarily need the full range of cele FB's capabilities. The range on the LB is really nice for a lot of things and both weapon sets have a bunch of utility options, and if you do feel like playing a little more intensely sometimes there's good fun options for comboing your teleports and CC and traps and stuff to dunk on some dickhead risen who dared to immobilise you.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Meskhenet posted:

always use a power build for world completion, nothing has enough health to justify a condi build

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You're mostly going to be synced down and kill mobs fairly quickly, yeah. And core world completion has a lot of doors that don't burn.

That said the FB is probably not going to suffer much either and gives you more leeway to semi afk elites and veterans without having to think about the mostly active defenses of power guardian.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Conditions are annoying for any structures or whatever for events/hearts that don't take them I guess

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Core Tyria is super easy outside of Orr, so blitzing down mobs in zerker gear is going to be more fun. Dragonhunter also gets a 25% move trait which isn’t nothing for speeding things up even with access to mounts.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

kirbysuperstar posted:

Conditions are annoying for any structures or whatever for events/hearts that don't take them I guess

Also, pre-expansion destroyers are immune to burning and there's a few hearts that require killing them.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005
Power build for sure. I just finished map completion on my power dragoonvindicator. Outside of some general fatigue in the annoying maps, it was very quick and easy. By taking DH, you'll get that F2 leap, Sword teleport, and skip longbow but take greatsword for the leap. You're going to spend more time running from mob to mob than you ever will actually killing them. And likely you'll do it fast enough that you won't drop combat to mount up. So you need in-combat movement skills to really anime the gently caress out.

Beyond that, just load up on signets for passive bonuses. As others have said, it's Core Tyria so things don't hit that hard or that often for you to really need some big-brained build of ramping up damage.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

lmao I forgot that structures were immune to conditions in core Tyria

Love those fireproof wooden doors

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
And also to critical hits.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
And then there's one mob that's hosed off out of site with a condition ticking on him, preventing you from mounting for perpetual eternity.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Alright ill get some gear up and running and jump into a hp train of sorts to get dragonhunter :)

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
You may just as well use core guardian, it's very good too, although the only ranged option is scepter.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
The weeklies for WvW:
  • 15 yaks
  • 5 keeps
  • 15 camps
  • 50 invaders
  • 5 ruins
  • 10 towers
  • 1 stonemist castle

Some of those I get in the course of regular play, at least. I think I've gotten an SMC capture twice? I play a lot more on the borderlands.

My matchup this week has been horrible, so I think I've seen exactly one keep capture, the rest of the time we've been overwhelmingly outnumbered by both servers.

Prepare for even more salt towards Mag.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Do wvw weeklies reset at the same time as skirmish track (Friday evening, US)?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Yeah, you can get most of the new WvW weeklies by doing the dailies every day. Stonemist/5 keeps/50 player kills are probably the roughest part for new/casual/low population server players.

Hello Sailor posted:

Do wvw weeklies reset at the same time as skirmish track (Friday evening, US)?

Nope, on Mondays the same time as the rear end vendor. Probably to make sure you can split them between different weekly matchups if necessary.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

whats the reward for getting some/all of those?

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Mailer posted:

A group of organized, attentive people playing their hearts out for a meme/stream is going to beat the randos you normally get in DE every time.

The #1 thing I hate about all metas is how lack of a skyscale means you can't follow people to learn it organically, but a very close #2 is that they have these big ending encounters like a strike but aren't repeatable. If five people new to the fight fail to dodge the sniper shot they get told why they failed and you go again. When you fail to kill the dragon at 20% the best feedback you're going to get is people saying something whiny like "gg no cc" in chat before leaving. I still have no clue why vineheart failed the one time I did it because everyone had already left before it actually failed.

I was just having a whinge about the times we couldn't even get half the pre done bc 50% of the map population weren't moving or doing anything at all. If it fails and everyone's doing at least something I'm not mad about that. Agree it's aimed at the mount though I did the meta a couple times without skyscale and gods that was kind of painful, do-able but the worst thing in chat is in any meta is where ppl assume you know all their dumb jargon too. They'll spit an endless stream of shortcut names for places you're supposed to be and I'm usually like "where? where the gently caress is that? do I follow this crowd??" so I just play heal scourge and try to keep ppl alive instead. There's a function in the new pokemon game where if you jump off a cliff you get a 'go back up' option for a few seconds after, would help in quite a few places in gw - particularly where you're in combat and can't mount or use a fkn waypoint.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Each weekly is 5 skirmish tickets, 20 badges, and 2 of the big reward track potions, getting all seven weeklies is 8 gold plus another of those weekly chests, except instead of tickets its a tome of knowledge.
Honestly I'll take any increase in skirmish tickets, no matter how small. The current backloaded method really sucks.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

And you only need 6 of the 7 weeklies to earn the meta reward (which I assume for most players will be SMC, 5 Keeps, or 50 player kills)

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

i just want tickets T.T

I need about 1000 for my 5th armour piece.

then the 1300+ for my last light.

Then do it again.

With eastern aus. is the pvp armour doable?

can i play like 2 games after work, lose both, and still make progress to the leggy armour? Will i want to die trying?

I still maintain that there needs to be PvE leggy armour. Even if it is budget bootleg looks like arse.

(dont mention raids, that isnt pve pve. And my only thing against raids, is i dont have the dedicated time. and i know that as soon as i get the armour im out. So i dont feel like i 'deserve' to do that if im not willing to put the effort in and then help after)

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I... think you are overblowing how hard raids actually are in your head, or how time consuming they are.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

How much more is it compaired to a T4 fractal daily?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012
I would take most folks I encounter in T4s into raids. I would also take literally anyone who can maintain 12k plus.

Your big issue will be groups, if you can fit the above criteria (folks are pickier then I am, but the big killer is your timezone. Still, I know aussies who have stuck it out.)