Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Fantastic episode. Man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Put Bill in a Vaultek jumpsuit and this episode could serve as a Fallout 4 short.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Extremely good episode, much better than the game, and sets up Joel’s choice at the end better what with Bill’s letter imploring him to protect Tess, someone he already failed to keep alive.

Tess’ “save who you can” and the note gonna really hammer home Joel’s actions throughout and at the end.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

I think this worked a lot better to start building up the theme that's gonna payoff in the ending, instead of ingame what is totally a gameplay sequence + boss fight. It fits the medium better.

I still think if they had paced the show a bit slower you could have done both for the medium and also had this touching story and some intense action.

Structure so the pacing on Bill and Franks amazing backstory is a bit quicker and shave off Ellie and Joel looting. Have Ellie and Joel show up and sneak into town, Bills alive still, then maybe show the backstory of Franks death or Bill says what happened and expresses similar sentiment as in the letter. Escape scene, Bill helps them get out but dies. The main problem is youd just have to essentially just repeat a similar beat of Tess sacrficing herself to weave in the same point of "protection" but thats a compounding story issue with barelling through this stuff.

I still liked the episode but it could have done more to impress me other than the good drama. The acting really carried it for me, just stellar one off performances.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Bill survives, but it's the last you see or hear of him.

Ellie does have a short convo with Dina in Part 2 where she talks about meeting Bill, but yeah it’s not an update on him or anything.

This episode was a great change from the game. Loved what they did with it. That ending. Whew.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

All those changes would undercut the story they told severely. The cut to the open window was ten times more powerful an image than them running a car down a hill while perused by a horde.

Plenty of time to still do zombie shenanigans and big action set pieces. The restraint shown here was downright beautiful.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Halfway through and this dull as gently caress

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Boy glad I didn't spoil myself to this! Now I'm imagining W. Earl Brown instead of Nick Offerman in this episode.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I could see them still doing the truck sequence with just Joel and Ellie in the next ep

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I just realised that the set-piece (from the game) where Bill, Ellie and Joel try to get the car to start is another part of the whole Children Of Men pastiche the game has going on. Obvious in retrospect.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
Genuinely one of the best episodes of TV I’ve watched. Do I wish we had gotten to meet a bloater like in the game? Kinda, but this was such a beautiful change to Bill’s story from the game. So much more impactful, and the note from Bill is a great device (albeit a little heavy handed since we already know what it implores Joel to do at the end of the first game) for pushing Joel to protect Ellie at all costs.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Nottherealaborn posted:

Genuinely one of the best episodes of TV I’ve watched. Do I wish we had gotten to meet a bloater like in the game? Kinda, but this was such a beautiful change to Bill’s story from the game. So much more impactful, and the note from Bill is a great device (albeit a little heavy handed since we already know what it implores Joel to do at the end of the first game) for pushing Joel to protect Ellie at all costs.

One of the trailers showed a bloater, so it's showing up at some point.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Nottherealaborn posted:

the note from Bill is a great device (albeit a little heavy handed since we already know what it implores Joel to do at the end of the first game) for pushing Joel to protect Ellie at all costs.

I think it works specifically because Bill is telling him to protect Tess, which Joel already failed to do, unbeknownst to Bill. Joel lost his daughter, 20 years later he loses his partner, and less than a year after that he will be asked to lose his replacement daughter, and refuse.

I don’t think it excuses Joel’s actions, or makes the act any less selfish, but it does lend empathy to that choice.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
I like what Druckman said in the post show, if the idea they come up for that segment is better than what we did in the game, we make the change. Three episodes in, that’s borne out well for them. They took a fairly by the book character/action level and turned into a nice self contained story that elevated the material and still largely stayed true to the characters. They can also still easily incorporate that levels unique action beats into another episode’s action.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Also late to this but my sympathies to whomever is cast as Abby in season 2.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Also as mentioned shoutout to Cumby's.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ok I take it back, that was p good.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Tim Whatley posted:

Also as mentioned shoutout to Cumby's.

In this alternate universe Cumberland Farms never spread beyond the Mass area. That's the real tragedy of The Last of Us. Want to pee in a fairly well kept gas station bathroom? Can't, the apocalypse happened.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Aurubin posted:

Also late to this but my sympathies to whomever is cast as Abby in season 2.

The kid who ends up playing Lev is gonna get a ton of bullshit coming their way too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Now this is something that bugged me in the games but I'm kinda wondering why there are still so many runners and fresh zombies 20 years later. Clickers and bloaters are old rear end zombies and then there's also the ones who have broken down so much that they're just converting into spores or tendrils. Yeah there's still semi stable areas like Boston or Jackson but with the amount of runners still active after the apocalypse it feels like there's just hundreds of groups of people just succumbing to the infection daily in order to provide game enemies to fight. With an infection still active and still killing thousands yearly after two decades its a wonder anybody is left alive.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Still would have liked to have the Ellie/Bill stuff tho bc that was fun in the game.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Aurubin posted:

In this alternate universe Cumberland Farms never spread beyond the Mass area. That's the real tragedy of The Last of Us. Want to pee in a fairly well kept gas station bathroom? Can't, the apocalypse happened.

In the show timeline the Sox never won the World Series and it probably accounted for half the bodies in the region

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I wonder if they'll be more of an extended Jackson sequence in this, rather than Joel and Ellie looking at it from a distance and just going "nah." I imagine it was done for pacing and resources but that was always immersion breaking in the first game. Get a sandwich or something!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Aurubin posted:

I wonder if they'll be more of an extended Jackson sequence in this, rather than Joel and Ellie looking at it from a distance and just going "nah." I imagine it was done for pacing and resources but that was always immersion breaking in the first game. Get a sandwich or something!

Trailers show a few scenes set in the center of Jackson, yeah.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
What the gently caress. How dare they turn two throw away characters into people I cared about! :cry:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was mixed on it until the end. Not because it wasn't good, but because I've been mixed on them throwing all of this backstory stuff that has little to do with the overall plot. But they were able to wrap it up really nicely and tie it into the story really well, so overall thought it was a really good episode. Felt a little bit awards bait at moments, but that doesn't mean it wasn't still really good.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
When Bill got shot by the raiders I thought for a second they would swap places and have Frank survive in the present and meet Joel & Ellie.

What we got was much better.

And is it just me, or was the last framed shot of the open window (where Bill & Frank passed away) the same shot as the game menu?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It wasn't exactly the same shot, but it was very intentionally set up to invoke the game menu.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bill was a tactical dumbass all throughout, like taking off his gas mask when he had no clue if the plague was airborne, or standing in the street and letting himself get shot.

That’s preppers survivalists for ya.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Waiting for the person who didn't like the set dressing scenes from eps 1 and 2 to come barreling in bitching about an episode that was 80% backstory and set dressing.

For a moment I was wondering if Joel and Ellie were going to meet a decrepit and haunted Bill because of what Frank asked, this worked too. We got to see Bill and Frank's story and it was definitely more fulfilling than the story we got in the game (I also like how it showed Bill and Frank were already pretty old in 2003 and that even in their slice of post-apocalyptic heaven 20 years is still a LONG time)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Oh my god they pulled out the music from Arrival 😭

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I know that all of the battery components were prudently preserved in the refrigerator, but after Joel made Ellie show her arm, I half expected him to use the Sulf acid to burn it and disguise the bite mark.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

veni veni veni posted:

It wasn't exactly the same shot, but it was very intentionally set up to invoke the game menu.

felt to me like a direct reference to the final shot of Part 2

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Unbelievably good episode of television

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ugh after all that they made me laugh

And then they made me incredibly sad again

This writing is a roller coaster

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 30, 2023

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

My only objection was that it didn't seem like B&F were part of a smuggling pipeline; they were just trading things they had for things they wanted.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/heyjenbartel/status/1619946419946950658?s=46&t=5MghBodBWfGmeCWpwYWUcA

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My only issue with this episode is that I wish it had been at least twice as long, I could have watched several hours of their relationship over the years

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Is Ellie this much of a whippersnapper in the games? Quick talking, hardass-wiseass type?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
She’s worse.