Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

P4G doesn't play it for comedy at all, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I got over the visual novel aspect of P3P and have made a ton of progress in it. It’s very fun. Not sure I agree that it’s necessarily better than 4 so far, but I’ll save my thoughts for after.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've made it to June and I guess it's picking up but I clearly haven't gotten to the good stuff yet, still giving it time.

But hoo boy, Tartarus is kind of a lot.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I've made it to June and I guess it's picking up but I clearly haven't gotten to the good stuff yet, still giving it time.

But hoo boy, Tartarus is kind of a lot.

You're gonna be waiting a while, friend

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021
Apparently you can't take Elizabeth out on 7/5 despite that being the deadline for her taking out date in Portable. What the everliving gently caress, Atlus? Why making the deadline and not let it be across-the-finish-line-skin-of-teeth'd?

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

NikkolasKing posted:

I was talking with some people about P4, about how I've now dated my two favorites (Yukiko and Marie) and it hurt to turn one of them down in my two runs. But going forward, I'm gonna have to turn them both down so that's 2x the suck. Then somebody suggested dating them both and I was like "cool, I guess it might be funny to be beaten up by all the girls."

Only that is P5? P4 it's all just really depressing and sad and they make you feel like total scum for betraying them like that. Basically 5 plays it for laughs, P4 is deadly serious about it.

Or so I was told.

Yukiko's really nice, I don't mind the anime lethal chef trope, but I've seen her deliver three unwarranted slaps at this point and that's even more of a deal-breaker than Kasumi's anti-Phantom Thieves rhetoric was.

Also holy poo poo the stuff with Hanako and then how Kanji gets treated on the camping trip is loving dire.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Kasumi's stance never seemed that far-fetched to me. I was actually annoyed that conversation got cut short because I'd already had a hunch where the plot was going and she was the only person to voice that. Also she saved me from picking Makoto, whose rank 10 only happens after the romance gets locked in and is a much bigger dealbreaker.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Kasumi's stance never seemed that far-fetched to me. I was actually annoyed that conversation got cut short because I'd already had a hunch where the plot was going and she was the only person to voice that. Also she saved me from picking Makoto, whose rank 10 only happens after the romance gets locked in and is a much bigger dealbreaker.

Makoto also said Joker looked scruffy with rank 4 charm and that was it for her.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

P3 is in no way better than P4 or P5, but it isn't terrible. I just broke into the 100th floor of the tower in FES and I'm so glad Koromaru is on my team now.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

NikkolasKing posted:

I was talking with some people about P4, about how I've now dated my two favorites (Yukiko and Marie) and it hurt to turn one of them down in my two runs. But going forward, I'm gonna have to turn them both down so that's 2x the suck. Then somebody suggested dating them both and I was like "cool, I guess it might be funny to be beaten up by all the girls."

Only that is P5? P4 it's all just really depressing and sad and they make you feel like total scum for betraying them like that. Basically 5 plays it for laughs, P4 is deadly serious about it.

Or so I was told.

All of the cheating Valentine's Day scenes in P4 are soul shattering. Chie's and Naoto's are the worst ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09DDYlYJw-0

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021

SettingSun posted:

P3 is in no way better than P4 or P5,

Except that it is. :p

It's the most SMT of the three. But Persona 2 Duology is better than all the other Personae's.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

P3 is weird because on like, a point by point comparison I think 4 does almost everything better than it, but I still think overall as a whole product I prefer P3 to P4.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Ok what the gently caress is this boss ight where I have to score a CRIT every round or it just ends ?
And where the gently caress are the crystal skulls? I need to finish my Pokedex

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Going through 4 Golden on the Switch and just made it past the Castle.

It's been a long, long time since I went through 4 (and I don't think I've ever played Golden), but man, Yosuke and Chie are kinda hard on Teddie for no reason sometimes early on

Edit: Random Teacher: "It's good Yukiko is back, she was the only cutie in the class" whoa

MechaX fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jan 30, 2023

AnonymouseNo5
Nov 11, 2021
Yosuke is even worse on Kanji. Which is funny given the cut romance line. He doth protest too much.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Persona 4 is remarkably mean spirited about most of its cast, really. Yosuke gets literally beat up a bunch, Kanji gets made fun of for him possibly being gay, all the girls get made fun of for being bad cooks, Chie gets made fun of for being a tomboy, Teddie gets made fun of for basically everything he does...

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

If anything Yosuke doesn't get his rear end kicked enough.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Hellioning posted:

Persona 4 is remarkably mean spirited about most of its cast, really. Yosuke gets literally beat up a bunch, Kanji gets made fun of for him possibly being gay, all the girls get made fun of for being bad cooks, Chie gets made fun of for being a tomboy, Teddie gets made fun of for basically everything he does...

It very much is a product of its time. The mean streak is very 00s.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hellioning posted:

Yosuke is the loving worst and like every other thing out of his mouth towards the group is either berating the girls, creeping on the girls, berating Teddy, or being homophobic to Kanji. He's lucky he's got superpowers that are helping with the investigation because otherwise I feel like most friend groups would have kicked his toxic rear end out.

I will say one thing the P5 cast is much better at than the P4 one is bantering with one another without it feeling mean spirited. Like there's still the occasional bad scene like everybody beating the poo poo out of Ryuji because he had the audacity to almost die heroically saving them, but it's way fewer and far between.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Sydin posted:

I will say one thing the P5 cast is much better at than the P4 one is bantering with one another without it feeling mean spirited.

Uh..

Did you pull a Futaba and fall asleep after her palace then woke up after the fifth palace?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The thing is though that whole bit isn't the status quo for the group: Ryuji and Morgana's acrimony towards one another as well as the thieves getting swelled heads over their popularity slowly simmer until they boil over and there's a temporary breakup when Morgana runs away. This is shown to be a big issue and the group tries a couple times to heal the rift until finally they all sit down and apologize to one another and move on. Ryuji and Morgana even stop being as lovely to one another from then on.

In P4 Yosuke putting everybody else in the group down and the group in turn threatening to beat his rear end for it is just the status quo. It's like every other interaction, and the meat of every "comedy" scene. I get that they're teenagers and like yeah teenagers are lovely a lot of the time but Yosuke (and Rise to a lesser extent) can occasionally just flat out come off as bullies.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Neeksy posted:

It very much is a product of its time. The mean streak is very 00s.

It's just how teenagers were all my life growing up. Maybe they're different now but I kinda doubt it.

The P4 crew giving each other so much poo poo but still ultimately loving each other and having one another's back might be part of why I relate to them so much more than the others.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

As a younge teen I said a lot of outlandish poo poo to my friends and we all joked around about how such things as eating bananas or wearing scarves was evidence for one of us being gay. The difference to me is that Yosuke genuinely believes all the gross and toxic things he says and does.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Hellioning posted:

Perhaps getting made fun of is just what being a teen is all about

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

AlternateNu posted:

All of the cheating Valentine's Day scenes in P4 are soul shattering. Chie's and Naoto's are the worst ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09DDYlYJw-0

Cheating on Naoto should lead to a scene where Kanji beats the everliving poo poo out of you.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Super not a fan of the Emperor slink in P3P. I hate that the optimal answers require me to agree with Hidetoshi’s power tripping rear end. It’s a cigarette butt, my dude. Let it go.

“He should suffer”.

Good lord.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Honestly, between Magician, Emperor, and Moon, male side P3 has the worst Social Links in modern Persona. Also not fond of how Chariot requires you to encourage a guy to self-destruct or Hanged Man requires encouraging an elementary schooler to run away from home.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

NikkolasKing posted:

It's just how teenagers were all my life growing up. Maybe they're different now but I kinda doubt it.

The current hotness is emotional sincerity and mutual respect. Not universally, of course, but it's a notable trend.

Zoomers have their issue and those are exacerbated by the proliferation of things like social media, but on an individual level they are leagues ahead of where we were.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Zoomers have their issue and those are exacerbated by the proliferation of things like social media, but on an individual level they are leagues ahead of where we were.

I can only speak from my own experience but I've been blown away by the Gen Z people I've met for their openness with their feelings, their anger at their governments and their much more compassionate approach to one another. It's loving wild in comparison to the environment and social behaviour that I grew up in during the 90's.

(I still think the music sucks more but yeah, the second you think that, you've certainly crossed into a whole other tier of "drat, I'm getting older".)

Persona 4 in particular must feel absolutely alien to younger players, with its casual homophobia, lecherous scenes, body-shaming etc. but drat if that wasn't 100% representative of the typical type of media and real life environment for a lot of us who are now in our 30's.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I'm playing P4G for the first time atm and it is a very difficult struggle getting through some of these scenes ngl. The funny thing is that I've known so many ppl like Yosuke over the years who are just so completely oblivious to their casual bigotry that I almost want to say he's an incredibly well written character... but I'm not sure that the writers deserve that much credit

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

frytechnician posted:

I can only speak from my own experience but I've been blown away by the Gen Z people I've met for their openness with their feelings, their anger at their governments and their much more compassionate approach to one another. It's loving wild in comparison to the environment and social behaviour that I grew up in during the 90's.

(I still think the music sucks more but yeah, the second you think that, you've certainly crossed into a whole other tier of "drat, I'm getting older".)

Persona 4 in particular must feel absolutely alien to younger players, with its casual homophobia, lecherous scenes, body-shaming etc. but drat if that wasn't 100% representative of the typical type of media and real life environment for a lot of us who are now in our 30's.

I am a Gen-Xer (lol old), and based on my experience with Gen Z and later generations, I can definitively say: the kids are all right.

There are plenty of things in P4G that are problematic, but at my age, I dismiss most of it as "stupid teenagers being stupid teenagers", for similar reasons that you said: I kinda knew these people when I was a teen in the 80s. We were young, and stupid, and social morés were considerably different than they are now, so while there's plenty of gross things in P4G, most of it I can still chalk up to "kids, man v :) v"

In fact, it's really only the adults that I have trouble making excuses for. The nurse comes to mind. Super weird and horny and forward with a teenager, It just doesn't play well at all, even to my lol old brain. Inappropriate teacher seems to be practically a trope, at least for the subset of Japanese media that involves high schools. Still gross, but it comes up so often and in drat near everything that my brain just kind of ignores it at this point.

Funny that they make it almost impossible to avoid in P5 by making Kawakami's slink perks be a necessity.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Commander Keene posted:

Honestly, between Magician, Emperor, and Moon, male side P3 has the worst Social Links in modern Persona. Also not fond of how Chariot requires you to encourage a guy to self-destruct or Hanged Man requires encouraging an elementary schooler to run away from home.

P3 was a lot more…simple?…in how you handled Slinks. You were supposed to live in their headspace to understand them which basically meant completely agreeing with them up until the very last rank or two.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

HaB posted:

Super not a fan of the Emperor slink in P3P. I hate that the optimal answers require me to agree with Hidetoshi’s power tripping rear end. It’s a cigarette butt, my dude. Let it go.

“He should suffer”.

Good lord.

Commander Keene posted:

I feel, despite gating a reward behind maxing all social links in a single playthrough, P3 wasn't designed with the idea of doing an optimal run where you get to see all the content in a single run, just like most games with route-splits that lock you out of some things depending on your choices. It's probably why at the time they didn't think making the female social links obligatory romantic was a bad idea, and that philosophy also translates to the other links, as in, just like maxing all female links makes you a cheater, in order to advance through every one optimally you also need to turn into a faker that just tells everyone what they want to hear. Sure, later games keep some of that "telling them what they want to hear" but they aren't as extreme as the examples you posted.

It's why there're also the reversing/breaking links mechanics, that are quite extensive in P3, very very limited in P4 and straight up dropped in P5, when the design philosophy made a 180º, you were supposed to reverse some of them and maybe break some by playing "naturally".

It's funny how Igor congratulates and rewards you if you max every social link even though that makes you the biggest cheating rear end in a top hat and enabler in Iwatodai City, then again, "wearing many masks" is (or was) kinda important as a theme in Persona so he's probably fine with that.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I always love in games when you call your buddy an idiot for saying something dumb and they are like "haha yeah" and you get +5 friendship points. A cool thing that would work exactly one time would be if you are doing a romance path with a lady and she keeps saying more and more outlandish poo poo to see if you are just agreeing with everything she says and getting really mad if you do.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The meme of a young person "guys this is all my triggers ahhhhh *shuts down*" is because young people today are ok saying "this is disturbing to me" instead of the x-enial "lol, that's extremely good. it owns" and the boomer silence.
But also generational cohorts are bullshit!

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
The Yosuke talk definitely unlocked a late-game memory for me (giant endgame P4 spoilers): I wonder how his “let’s commit first degree murder because of stuff this guy’s shadow is telling us” angle aged at this point

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I recall an interview with the director of P3 and he said two notable things: the dev team didn't consider that people would want to do all the s-links in a single game so the design is hostile to the idea, and that the idea that men and women could merely be friends is inconceivable and thus all the female s-links are inevitably romantic.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Pwnstar posted:

I always love in games when you call your buddy an idiot for saying something dumb and they are like "haha yeah" and you get +5 friendship points. A cool thing that would work exactly one time would be if you are doing a romance path with a lady and she keeps saying more and more outlandish poo poo to see if you are just agreeing with everything she says and getting really mad if you do.

Ai is the closest thing to this iirc in that if you just kiss her rear end, she calls you out on it

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Petiso posted:

I feel, despite gating a reward behind maxing all social links in a single playthrough, P3 wasn't designed with the idea of doing an optimal run where you get to see all the content in a single run, just like most games with route-splits that lock you out of some things depending on your choices. It's probably why at the time they didn't think making the female social links obligatory romantic was a bad idea, and that philosophy also translates to the other links, as in, just like maxing all female links makes you a cheater, in order to advance through every one optimally you also need to turn into a faker that just tells everyone what they want to hear. Sure, later games keep some of that "telling them what they want to hear" but they aren't as extreme as the examples you posted.

It's why there're also the reversing/breaking links mechanics, that are quite extensive in P3, very very limited in P4 and straight up dropped in P5, when the design philosophy made a 180º, you were supposed to reverse some of them and maybe break some by playing "naturally".

It's funny how Igor congratulates and rewards you if you max every social link even though that makes you the biggest cheating rear end in a top hat and enabler in Iwatodai City, then again, "wearing many masks" is (or was) kinda important as a theme in Persona so he's probably fine with that.

I could see this, based on a date I had with Chihiro. It's the one shortly after she's accused of being a thief, and I picked whatever the non-committal response was and she got BIG mad, and it said like "your relationship is strained" or something. And I was like wha?

Luckily I save after nearly every action on a new save file so was able to go back and pick a response that she liked, but I was surprised at how fast it seems to drop my status with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

HootTheOwl posted:

The meme of a young person "guys this is all my triggers ahhhhh *shuts down*" is because young people today are ok saying "this is disturbing to me" instead of the x-enial "lol, that's extremely good. it owns" and the boomer silence.
But also generational cohorts are bullshit!

Probably the most tedious memes are the "generational differences" ones. I cannot accurately fathom the amount of damage that poo poo has done on Facebook alone over the past 15 to 20 years.