Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The thing that hooked me with VS over the pretty standard “phone game slow progression to being a god” gameplay was just how weird it was. Who was that character I just unlocked? What’s up with this level? What happens if I do this while I have this? No tutorials, no wordy explanations, just strange poo poo happening between layers and layers of secret interactions. Really felt like playing a game before the internet and not knowing what would or even could happen next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

American McGay posted:

The thing that hooked me with VS over the pretty standard “phone game slow progression to being a god” gameplay was just how weird it was. Who was that character I just unlocked? What’s up with this level? What happens if I do this while I have this? No tutorials, no wordy explanations, just strange poo poo happening between layers and layers of secret interactions. Really felt like playing a game before the internet and not knowing what would or even could happen next.

The text that is in the game is pretty funny too

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

American McGay posted:

it's so good. top 2 game of 2022 and it cost €3 lol

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Just finished the second Shadowrun game, after having finished the first one last year. Now on to the third one, they're all on game pass!

I had never heard of these games before they came to game pass, and I didn't expect to love them this much. Another win for the xbox gamer.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

How long are they?

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

veni veni veni posted:

How long are they?

According to TrueAchievements, I completed the first one (Shadowrun Returns) in 10 hours. The second one (Shadowrun : Dragonfall) took me 20 hours. You can play these stand-alone.

I played on easy, as I was mostly in it for the story. And the story is pretty great.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Whoa the last mission of infinite warfare. I thought we were just gonna ooh rah this plan and get the bad guy but this has completely gone to poo poo lmao

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Fanatic posted:

Gotta say I'm really enjoying Goldeneye 007, though it might be mostly nostalgia.

Yeah it's really good. I never owned the cart, but I played loads and loads of the multiplayer with friends back in the day. So I'm doing the single player for the first time and it's great. It's surprising me how I was instantly used to the controls, always looking out for that little auto-aim tilt on the gun model. I had to look up wtf "break communications with the bunker" meant, and probably I'll have to look up a lot more objectives in the higher difficulties.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Yeah, it’s a fun game. It was popular back in the day for good reason.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

John F Bennett posted:

Just finished the second Shadowrun game, after having finished the first one last year. Now on to the third one, they're all on game pass!

I had never heard of these games before they came to game pass, and I didn't expect to love them this much. Another win for the xbox gamer.
It's cool to hear someone enjoying Returns. The second and third games made such big leaps forward that a lot of people were told to skip Returns, but it's a solid game that does a lot to set the stage. I liked Hong Kong as much as Dragonfall so you're in for a good time.

I'm surprised that studio never brought their turn-based Battletech strategy game to Xbox.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

prom candy posted:

I played vampire survivors again today and now I see why you guys like it so much. I only played one run before and couldn't figure out why you'd want to play a game with no buttons

soon you will be like me: frustrated that you can't reach minute 31 on the Gallo Tower because you're so goddamn overpowered that you kill the reaper in 8 seconds

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

priznat posted:

The sound effects in Vampire Survivors are so addictive when you get an avalanche of the death noises it just hits the dopamine so good.

I heard recently that the dev previously worked on actual slot machine games, so it makes sense that they would know how to trigger all those dopamine senses with visuals and sounds.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

It's cool to hear someone enjoying Returns. The second and third games made such big leaps forward that a lot of people were told to skip Returns, but it's a solid game that does a lot to set the stage. I liked Hong Kong as much as Dragonfall so you're in for a good time.

I'm surprised that studio never brought their turn-based Battletech strategy game to Xbox.

Can't wait to try out Hong Kong next, so far it's been a fantastic series. I'm usually not a fan of turn-based combat, except for X-Com type of combat which is a bit like how Shadowrun does it.

Are there any other games like this? I like that they're heavy on text and dialogue.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/vgc_news/status/1620002919364939776?s=46&t=eCeRdYmGahccDFSQXcBH1g

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fart smokin

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
I'm not sure it's a fair comp. Steam won't be counting pre orders for Forspoken.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
More games of all genres should have cool color pallettes. Emphasis on color.

I actually don't know what forespokken looks like don't @ me

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

glad to hear it's doing so well, hi-fi's a great game from the little I've played so far

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

External Organs posted:

like poo poo

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

External Organs posted:

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

MJBuddy posted:

I'm not sure it's a fair comp. Steam won't be counting pre orders for Forspoken.

Yeah, Forspoken did have 13-month window for preorders which can’t be accounted for there. Still, the all-time peak player number on Steam isn’t very high: 12k players versus Hi-Fi Rush with 6k. Doesn’t sound like the PC version has been selling all that well, or people bought it/redeemed their AMD bundle keys and aren’t playing?

Also 54% positive reviews vs. 98%. Let’s all take a moment to remember that Forspoken was supposed to come out in May 2022.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

i'm seeing double... four turds!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

i'm seeing double... four turds!

Who are the other three people on your MS Teams call?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Is Grounded good or am I stuck in a skinner box?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ll play Forespoken when it’s free on gamepass in a few months.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Sony paid for two years exclusively to it lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

hatty posted:

lol owned.

Ok in 2 years then. Probably not even then because we will have long forgotten about it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

hatty posted:

wish they'd paid for 20

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Is Grounded good or am I stuck in a skinner box?

grounded is a very fun game with a very broken difficulty curve that was clearly not designed around it being a single-player experience

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I thought it was literally a Sony game. No?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

External Organs posted:

I thought it was literally a Sony game. No?

Developer(s)
Luminous Productions
Publisher(s)
Square Enix

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nah it’s a Square game

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

grounded is a very fun game with a very broken difficulty curve that was clearly not designed around it being a single-player experience

Whew yes 100%. Once you wander into a dangerous bug territory you get hosed up bad when single. Even in a group some of those bastards would be real hard.

Amazing setting and lovely art style, fun to explore for a bit before you start getting stomped and then never touch it again.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I've spent soooo much time getting bug-stomped and running back to my backpack.

I'm gonna put it down though cause I recycled clay foundation and that for some reason caused my chest to blow up and dump its 40 slot contents on the ground and I don't want to deal with this.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Does it have custom difficulty options?

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

hatty posted:

There's a chance they go the Death Stranding route and do Game Pass PC only. Forspoken is available on the Microsoft Store.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

John F Bennett posted:

Does it have custom difficulty options?

Yes, it even has a invincibility option.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Been playing Forspoken on PlayStation 5, and its a really good game. The magic parkour system makes traveling across the gigantic open world really fun, and you feel like a total badass in combat with all of the flips and flying around you can do while fighting.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I never heard of it before last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Looks like another epic Square Enix win.