Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Jack Trades posted:

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/overwatch/23910162/developer-update-from-aaron-keller

Can't help but notice that they're saying that they're planning on improving the "clarity" of the matchmaker, not that they're planning on improving the matchmaker.

Ah yes, more clarity on skill diff. That's what we need.

Not, yknow, figuring why some folks might be losing rank after winning 7 matches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

There should only be 1 number, and it should be a pure chess elo, and they should do whatever matching they feel is appropriate based on that 1 number. It's only confusing when you hide things.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

headcase posted:

There should only be 1 number, and it should be a pure chess elo, and they should do whatever matching they feel is appropriate based on that 1 number. It's only confusing when you hide things.

They did that in OW1 already and they can't do that again, because you see, if people could know their own elo then it would be extremely obvious that Blizzard has changed their matchmaking to not prioritize even matches at all.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Jack Trades posted:

They did that in OW1 already and they can't do that again, because you see, if people could know their own elo then it would be extremely obvious that Blizzard has changed their matchmaking to not prioritize even matches at all.

Ow1 felt like it worked that way, but there was really a hidden MMR that could diverge from your SR. They would not give you any info on MMR, which still made matchmaking confusing.

I think the worst thing they are doing now is making people reclaim their rank with some artificial climb in which you still play against other players that are your same skill that sometimes are also bumped down in rank but sometimes not. It is dumb as poo poo. Just tell me my elo as accurately as possible and let me progress it.

headcase fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 30, 2023

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

widespread posted:

Ah yes, more clarity on skill diff. That's what we need.

Not, yknow, figuring why some folks might be losing rank after winning 7 matches.

Yeah I know I'm probably not actually getting better or anything but doing like 2-3 7-2 streaks in a row and staying Gold 2 was disappointing.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Now is the time to introduce a ranking system that exclusively uses emojis, where no one is told what their earned emoji actually means but also what each emoji actually denotes changes every season.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Father Wendigo posted:

Now is the time to introduce a ranking system that exclusively uses emojis, where no one is told what their earned emoji actually means but also what each emoji actually denotes changes every season.

drat, how did Blizzard not hire you yet?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

I would also like to be confused as to where and when I can purchase these emojis. Perhaps their prices and availability should be determined randomly.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

From official blog

quote:

Q: So you don’t take the number of eliminations, damage dealt, healing provided, or any other scoreboard stats to adjust my MMR after each match?
A: In Overwatch 2, your MMR adjustment after every match is not impacted by your performance in each match (regardless of your skill tier).

Other notable matters:
Matches will be more balanced based on each role, not just team wide.
So no more silver tank vs plat tank.
You get ranking update in every 5 wins or 15 losses.
No rank reset/decay starting in season 4.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Issaries posted:

From official blog

Lol, everyone told me the exact opposite of this was happening.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

True. It is good that I never tried to rank up by playing Moira. Her stats are always fat, but she is so boring to play compared to Ana or Bap.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm not sure why everyone thought stats would affect it when they literally tried that before and rolled it back almost immediately because it was hosed.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I wonder what that would do to night time console games when they already have trouble making matches.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
it really sounds like they mostly just do not have enough players to populate their matchmaking at remotely the level it needs to work well

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
firing up the game, I notice that there are 13 modes + custom games to play. The UI does not funnel you to a specific game mode, to say nothing of a main or default game mode. Once you're in the mode-specific screens they all show the various modes equally, with one exception: arcade for some reason features a single game prominently

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
oh I was wrong, it's because that's a sub-mode with 3 more types of games inside of it

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

True. Honestly the quick play and RQ comp should be front page modes, while others can be inside menus.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Herstory Begins Now posted:

oh I was wrong, it's because that's a sub-mode with 3 more types of games inside of it
And that's not even touching the Custom Games > All Games option!

it really sounds like they mostly just do not have enough players to populate their matchmaking at remotely the level it needs to work well
Time to add crossplay :getin:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
They have crossplay already but it seems like I'm mostly playing with other controller players so maybe that's how it functions.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

dogstile posted:

I'm not sure why everyone thought stats would affect it when they literally tried that before and rolled it back almost immediately because it was hosed.
iirc stats affected performance initially on ow1 for all ranks, then they changed it to only affecting below diamond for the remainder of ow1's lifespan

having stats not affect ranking at all could give you more balanced games, but since the game is f2p and people like to smurf it makes it even easier to smurf lol

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

comedyblissoption posted:

iirc stats affected performance initially on ow1 for all ranks, then they changed it to only affecting below diamond for the remainder of ow1's lifespan

having stats not affect ranking at all could give you more balanced games, but since the game is f2p and people like to smurf it makes it even easier to smurf lol

If you purposely sabotage your games and just do your stomping in small fits sure. I’m a bit confused/not sure what the criteria are then, because I’ve watched bronze to GM playthroughs, even ones where the player was trying to ‘play at a realistic bronze level’ to show people the sorts of easier things they could do to improve beyond those levels, just fly up by 3-4 ranks at a time every 7 wins. So clearly it’s looking at more than just ‘you win more games than you lost’.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Issaries posted:

From official blog

Other notable matters:
Matches will be more balanced based on each role, not just team wide.
So no more silver tank vs plat tank.
You get ranking update in every 5 wins or 15 losses.
No rank reset/decay starting in season 4.

Literally everyone alive on the planet earth even people who don't play overwatch: How bout you update ranks every match
Blizzard: How bout u shut the fuk up nerd that's toxic and promotes anxiety u don't know poo poo about good game design

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

toadee posted:

If you purposely sabotage your games and just do your stomping in small fits sure. I’m a bit confused/not sure what the criteria are then, because I’ve watched bronze to GM playthroughs, even ones where the player was trying to ‘play at a realistic bronze level’ to show people the sorts of easier things they could do to improve beyond those levels, just fly up by 3-4 ranks at a time every 7 wins. So clearly it’s looking at more than just ‘you win more games than you lost’.
for new accounts or a streak in modern elo systems there's an uncertainty factor that shoots you up (or down) faster than normal to place players faster

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

comedyblissoption posted:

That's how OW1 was from launch, but it led to a few problems

There were a lot of instances in s1 where supports would win games and literally go up no SR (it was a progress bar rather than a number back then) because they didn't have enough "contribution", so they had to change metrics around that. Fire time was made easier for supports.

Then there were people who took advantage of it, or abused win streaks to go up hundreds of SR all at once, so eventually they changed it to have less affect on all ranks below diamond and no affect at diamond or above.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I have a really hard time believing them when they claim that matchmaker only looks at the MMR number and nothing else.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Also, has anyone else noticed how non-Support queue times have improved DRAMATICALLY without any stated changed to the game?
How did they achieve that? Magic?

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
"The matchmaker only considers hidden MMR" does not tell you the details of the calculations it's making with that MMR.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

toadee posted:

The bronze to GM playthroughs where they "pretended" was really funny because they'd still go "cool" and win their games whenever they decided with ease.

That + the uncertainty factor they use means that your hidden mmr would skyrocket, then your visual mmr would just jump to try and rubberband back to it.

Jack Trades posted:

Also, has anyone else noticed how non-Support queue times have improved DRAMATICALLY without any stated changed to the game?
How did they achieve that? Magic?

:tinfoil:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i think bronze to gm playthroughs aren't really that educational in terms of showing how to improve gameplay b/c the player can make the stupidest and most moronic gameplay decisions and it doesn't matter b/c they can just brute force w/ pure mechanics

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
You can go on youtube and find channels that have done like 5 or 6 "unranked to gm" runs since OW2 comp started.

"We are investigating reasons why Matchmaking blows", ok, but are you doing so with your eyes open?

It's all drops in the bucket, but when 5 or 6 different things are dropping into said bucket, it's pretty easy to figure out why match quality is so lovely.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I really wouldn't mind going down to to just role queue comp, open queue QP, MH, and 1-2 available arcades per day.

I haven't been playing because the meta is miserable for me, but I hope things get balanced out soon.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Blizzard: we know OW1 died because of no content and glacial slow balancing. That’s why we are dedicating the same glacial pace to our struggling shooter.

It’s wild to me that blizzard did a massive change to 5v5, remade a handful of tanks, called it a day and moved on. Man, the PvE better be off the chains and not just a reskinned PvE event.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Lord Packinham posted:

Man, the PvE better be off the chains and not just a reskinned PvE event.

Wasn't Overwatch 1 salvaged from a failed attempt to make a PvE MMO called Titan?

Did any of the temporary PvE events in Overwatch 1 feel like they could be turned into a full game?

They announced Overwatch 2 in 2019, they haven't come up with a single PvE thing they can show us in that entire time. To the point where they just shipped without it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

To be completely fair, we do know that the Overwatch team got jerked around for a several years by Bobby Kotick who couldn't make up his mind what he wanted them to do and they had to scrap all that work.
I'm assuming OW2 came out in the state that it did not because of developer's laziness or anything but because the management wanted fast short-term profits with an extremely short deadline to make their selling off to Microsoft more appealing.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Did any of the temporary PvE events in Overwatch 1 feel like they could be turned into a full game?

That's what blows my mind, they've already done the PvE thing multiple times and it's never been good or fun. So the idea of them pushing hard in that direction is just bizarre.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

PantsBandit posted:

That's what blows my mind, they've already done the PvE thing multiple times and it's never been good or fun. So the idea of them pushing hard in that direction is just bizarre.

Bride of Junkenstein was pretty fun... for the first 2-3 times and that's the best one of them so far.

I just want play with OP abilities that can be unlocked. Gimme Circular Gigashatter now.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

https://overwatch.blizzard.com/en-us/news/23910163/

Lol so instead of offering OW coins in the Battlepass, you just earn Legacy Credits, which can only be spent on old cosmetics.

Just amazing.

Gravitas Shortfall fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 31, 2023

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Issaries posted:

Bride of Junkenstein was pretty fun... for the first 2-3 times and that's the best one of them so far.

I just want play with OP abilities that can be unlocked. Gimme Circular Gigashatter now.

That's the thing, the most they can do is release these gimmick modes that you play a few times and then never again. Bc they don't have things like challenging enemy AI, interesting level design, good writing, ability interactions. Aka all these things that you need to make a PvE mode engaging for more than 15 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

quote:

We debuted the Battle for Olympus during Season 2. We’re generally happy about this mode and player feedback around it

That's funny because I haven't heard a single person say anything positive about it.