Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Maybe he has a rich history as a counterfeiter? Has he considered that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

forkboy84 posted:

Maybe he has a rich history as a counterfeiter? Has he considered that?

Kenny Omega big Blackjack Mulligan fan confirmed?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

"I watch wrestling shows that I wish they had no wrestling at all because I like wrestling-wrestlingless."

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Just go to the theatre dude what you enjoy is called a play

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Had to see if that guy was for real and that is one strange dude.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Is there an equivalent of this for any other sport? Like are there people who tune into NFL games just for the half-time show and get extremely mad when it's just people playing football?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Drakkel posted:

Is there an equivalent of this for any other sport? Like are there people who tune into NFL games just for the half-time show and get extremely mad when it's just people playing football?

Watching the superbowl for the ads and half time show has been a thing for over 20 years, yeah.
Hell, they will do previews and teasers for superbowl ads now

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Coolness Averted posted:

Watching the superbowl for the ads and half time show has been a thing for over 20 years, yeah.
Hell, they will do previews and teasers for superbowl ads now

That's true but this would be like if those people would then get on the internet and declare that it should JUST be the commercials cause the mythical Casual Fan doesn't give a poo poo about football or some poo poo.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
https://twitter.com/mattkoonmusic/status/1620132225244352513

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

It's possible my brain would overload at all of the different possible questions I could embarrass HHH with and how much internet clout I'd get and I'd fail to ask a question.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Why is your roster full of rapists and pedophiles I shout as I'm being blacklisted from every media event for a hundred years.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

If you ask Tony and HHH a tough question would snap their fingers and their Imperial wrestling guards would throw you in a dungeon for the rest of your life.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Drakkel posted:

That's true but this would be like if those people would then get on the internet and declare that it should JUST be the commercials cause the mythical Casual Fan doesn't give a poo poo about football or some poo poo.
"There are a WHOLE LOT of high schools and colleges that could learn a thing or two from this telecast, if they simply got Rihanna to perform at half time and exclusive Quantumania trailers to show maybe you'd draw more people to your lovely little Bowl games, NCAA!"

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Drakkel posted:

People who just watch the opening and closing ceremonies at the olympics

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

History Comes Inside! posted:

Just go to the theatre dude what you enjoy is called a play
It's funny because I've done live theater with fight choreography before, and our audience feedback routinely said those scenes were the highlight of the show.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

WrestleCringe is a loving moron. Vinnie really does book multiple promotions. West Coast Pro pretty much sells out every show.

https://twitter.com/wrestlecringe/status/1620140237770096641

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the ultimate irony of the wrestlecringe account is that the man who runs it is himself cringe

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Stare not into the cringe lest the cringe stare into you

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me
Vinnie's opinions are always pretty good.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

This is exaggerating obviously, but the core of the point isn't bad. Roman's shtick is interesting because it's not typical wrestler heel stuff, it's more like how a bad person would really be. Flanderized for the people sitting in the back row, of course.

EDIT: Indies obviously can't depend on anyone watching having seen the previous big show, let alone the last five big shows, so stories have to be pretty grounded in broad sports tropes to work in front of the live crowds.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

El Generico posted:

This is exaggerating obviously, but the core of the point isn't bad. Roman's shtick is interesting because it's not typical wrestler heel stuff, it's more like how a bad person would really be. Flanderized for the people sitting in the back row, of course.

the shtick is fine, it's just extremely telling that the person thinks it's "the most incredible wrestling character I have ever seen" given they're used to all the low-effort heeling the rest of the roster gets to do

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.

flatluigi posted:

the shtick is fine, it's just extremely telling that the person thinks it's "the most incredible wrestling character I have ever seen" given they're used to all the low-effort heeling the rest of the roster gets to do

True, true. If WWE gave more of their performers the trust they're giving Roman and Sami, you could have decent stuff all over the card.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/Machobeard4life/status/1619809057438838784

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

nah that's a good trolling of ZeroNews

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Well I guess Punk is going to WWE!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/bluesfan1972/status/1620277172891189251

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

PWG from my memory has been able to have some storylines that spanned across shows though that’s easier now with social media

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TV Zombie posted:

PWG from my memory has been able to have some storylines that spanned across shows though that’s easier now with social media

And Chikara was really good about storylines, if terrible in other aspects.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Thinking back to my peak indy watching years, everyone had some progression from show to show back then. Even CZW & IWA:MS had angles & rivalries & all that. ROH certainly did even if they were really bad sometimes, PWG would. Sometimes it's more like the character-driven storytelling of an NCIS/Law & Order type show where characters develop as the show goes on even as overarching stories tend not to except on rare occasions.

I'm not much of an indy viewer these days but are there really shows that don't have some sort of progression show-to-show? I suppose what I've seen of Warrior Wrestling doesn't.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

this thread is nyuts

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
deez nyuts

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

TV Zombie posted:

PWG can usually pull it off. I think a big issue is a lot of companies think they can book their shows the way PWG does with these long high spot heavy matches ignoring the fact that PWG only really gets away with it because they book world class talent. Most Indies have good workers but not in that athletic caliber and they would actually probably do better to just build angles and characters and all that. A wrestling school I go to just did a show where they had a big conclusion to like 4 big angles they’ve been running and it’s been some of the best wrestling stuff I’ve seen in the local scene.

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

None of the super indies run angles and they're all boring as poo poo

Cult of Pies
Oct 2, 2021
On how Sami and KO staying with the WWE was the best thing they could have done and why wrestling is the worst part of a wrestling show.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I mean, more power to them but it feels super weird to me that you watch 3 hour RAW and 2 hour Smackdown (and even then, there are people that only watch one or another as some kind of "team") for the storylines and have middling or even bad wrestling. Wouldn't just be better time spent watching a good tv series? I don't know.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm closing my eyes and meditating and Sami and Steen are actually doing an even cooler thing in the worlds where they went to AEW.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Guillermus posted:

I mean, more power to them but it feels super weird to me that you watch 3 hour RAW and 2 hour Smackdown (and even then, there are people that only watch one or another as some kind of "team") for the storylines and have middling or even bad wrestling. Wouldn't just be better time spent watching a good tv series? I don't know.

I don't think this is the case with most people, but definitely some, where like me they watch while they're playing a game or doing something else they're more focused on. If the wrestling is rubbish they're still playing a game, or doing the cleaning, or cooking dinner, if the bloodline or something good comes up they pay attention. Unlike AEW where I only have AEW (and PSP threads) on my screens. When people talk about "Podcast games" I include WWE along with the podcasts, same with a lot of other sports I have in the background while I do other things.

In fact I'd say sports are actually better than podcasts when it comes to "podcast gaming." Sports have entire seasons where you can follow the general gist of what's happening, and then there's what happens over multiple seasons. In a podcast you might actually miss out on something important someone says. With an MLS game even if I miss a goal I still know who's won and who's lost. I'd hazard a guess this is partly why WWE repeats so much stuff that's just or recently happened.

For me NJPW has quickly gone from the position WWE was in to something AEW is. And this is a problem. I don't have the mental energy to dedicate my full attention to multiple wrestling shows. I do have plenty of time to have bullshit on in the background.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

TV Zombie posted:

The only story PWG has is that the title makes you evil

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Mrenda posted:

I don't think this is the case with most people, but definitely some, where like me they watch while they're playing a game or doing something else they're more focused on. If the wrestling is rubbish they're still playing a game, or doing the cleaning, or cooking dinner, if the bloodline or something good comes up they pay attention. Unlike AEW where I only have AEW (and PSP threads) on my screens. When people talk about "Podcast games" I include WWE along with the podcasts, same with a lot of other sports I have in the background while I do other things.

In fact I'd say sports are actually better than podcasts when it comes to "podcast gaming." Sports have entire seasons where you can follow the general gist of what's happening, and then there's what happens over multiple seasons. In a podcast you might actually miss out on something important someone says. With an MLS game even if I miss a goal I still know who's won and who's lost. I'd hazard a guess this is partly why WWE repeats so much stuff that's just or recently happened.

For me NJPW has quickly gone from the position WWE was in to something AEW is. And this is a problem. I don't have the mental energy to dedicate my full attention to multiple wrestling shows. I do have plenty of time to have bullshit on in the background.

An underappreciated reason why wrestling as a whole goes through boom and busts is that it takes up so much of your time and attention if you really want to watch and understand a whole card of fights regularly. It's not constructed like real fight cards where everyone just turns up and pays attention to the main event.

Wrestling is potentially exhausting if you're following multiple promotions or a promotion decides to overload their followers with matches that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

fez_machine posted:

An underappreciated reason why wrestling as a whole goes through boom and busts is that it takes up so much of your time and attention if you really want to watch and understand a whole card of fights regularly. It's not constructed like real fight cards where everyone just turns up and pays attention to the main event.

Wrestling is potentially exhausting if you're following multiple promotions or a promotion decides to overload their followers with matches that matter.

100% this. With pretty much any other sport most people follow "their team." And stay up to date with the news in their league and broadly within the sport. They're relying on a (relatively) small group of people who are extremely into it to keep them appraised of what's new and exciting, and because these people are generally allied to "the sport" there's not so much jockeying for a particular team or division (i.e. they're not trying to claim only Australian cricket is worth watching.)

I watch AEW because I like it, but at a baseline that's three hours. More if you include the "hobby" aspects of talking to people and keeping up with news. If I want to know some of the crossover stars who make guest appearances I'm also watching matches from Japanese shows, or at least reading up on what their story is—and that's not something that's collected in one space, it involves hours of going through forums, tweets and youtube clips. After I started watching AEW last year suddenly there was ROH as well. The rivalrly with WWE got me interested in watching some of that. AEW's relationship with Japan (and forbidden door) has me looking at the Japanese stuff. If this was any other sport I could just watch the cup final, or the most eventful match that weekend. And sure, I could just watch a particular PPV, but every promotion in wrestling has months of storylines and fights for every wrestler in every PPV. It's massive.

In the end I burn out. I stop watching for a few months. Then I resubscribe to Fite and only watch Dynamite and Rampage to catch up. Before long I'm watching AEW, and a little WWE, while I'm also looking at NJPW. I've yet to have the sustained energy to look at any Joshi, which I really want to do. Then I burn out again. Wrestling is like watching a soap opera that crosses over with other soap operas and their stories, but not only in your own country, you're watching soap operas from the US, Mexico, Britain and Japan, and despite them all having their own style, from light hearted family fun, to sexy and over the top, to gritty and down to earth, they all interact and influence each other. It's a massive, massive world of "entertainment."