Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
yes there is

the other half sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I was always champing at the bit to have more armies and expand faster so I like the IE late game for letting me have 6+ armies going and fighting in 3+ directions at once. This also forces you to split your best Lords, units and RoRs around. It's not perfect, as I think I've settled into the "no end game crisis" or "one specific end game crisis that won't be a pain in the rear end based on my starting region", but surely IE won't leave beta without some shake ups, right?

"Yes-yes, IE won't leave beta, very clever-wise CA is."

Daaamn. End of January lads, you can start teasing us with that content map and a content trailer...

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I understand that Imrik was busted when IE launched. His quest battles don't fire or are bugged or something? Anyone know if they've circled back and fixed him up yet? Thinking about playing him in our next co-op campaign, but if he's busted still I'll find someone else.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Someone's playing him in our current campaign and the dragon battles have worked fine so far.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Jack Trades posted:

I swear, you spend as much time staring at a loading screen as you do playing the actual game, and I have it installed on an SSD even.

Its a good way to prevent save scumming. Do you want to wait 5+ minutes every time you go to reload?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I've never played a Total War game and TWW 3 was available for free. I like Warhammer as much as the next person so I'm giving it a try.

EDIT: I'm hoping that it's something like this.

https://twitter.com/WeirdMedieval/status/1619704323612774400?s=20&t=SlyiMFIK7YD4b1klLyvEEg

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 29, 2023

How!
Oct 29, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

I've never played a Total War game and TWW 3 was available for free. I like Warhammer as much as the next person so I'm giving it a try.

EDIT: I'm hoping that it's something like this.

https://twitter.com/WeirdMedieval/status/1619704323612774400?s=20&t=SlyiMFIK7YD4b1klLyvEEg

You’re gonna want to try the Vampire Coast- they have a unit that is a Demon carrying a zombie carrying a gun (or bombs).

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

I am greatly enjoying playing as Durthu: World Police. Took all of Brettonia back from Skaven and Greenskins and gave it to Louen and the Fey. Helped Karl beat back Belakor and Festus, helped Katarina with the Bonerattlaz and Sylvania. Saved the Sisters of Twilight and started helping Tyrion and Allarielle with Malekith. Saved the Western Provinces from delves and skaven, about to start helping them against Ghorst. Treemen + Helstorm rockets = a good time.

Now I'm realizing that Alarielle's tree is the last one I haven't gotten control of, and I really don't want to break my 50+-turn alliance with her and her allies to capture it. Is there any way of peacefully getting that world tree?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Muscle Tracer posted:

I am greatly enjoying playing as Durthu: World Police. Took all of Brettonia back from Skaven and Greenskins and gave it to Louen and the Fey. Helped Karl beat back Belakor and Festus, helped Katarina with the Bonerattlaz and Sylvania. Saved the Sisters of Twilight and started helping Tyrion and Allarielle with Malekith. Saved the Western Provinces from delves and skaven, about to start helping them against Ghorst. Treemen + Helstorm rockets = a good time.

Now I'm realizing that Alarielle's tree is the last one I haven't gotten control of, and I really don't want to break my 50+-turn alliance with her and her allies to capture it. Is there any way of peacefully getting that world tree?

There is an event that causes it to be razed and the World roots cooldown to immediately reset so you can settle it freely. A subsequent event gives you the choice to return it or not.

If that event already happened you are out of luck.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Ravenfood posted:

There is an event that causes it to be razed and the World roots cooldown to immediately reset so you can settle it freely. A subsequent event gives you the choice to return it or not.

If that event already happened you are out of luck.

Ahh, it probably has, cause I'm well past turn 100. I don't remember it happening... but I don't think I'd even encountered Alarielle for a while, and it wouldn't surprise me if CA would let it happen off-camera and not tell me. (or if I just missed it among the dozen end-of-turn notifications and wasn't looking for it).

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Mod scene looking good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVvU9PouMAs

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Leal posted:

Its a good way to prevent save scumming. Do you want to wait 5+ minutes every time you go to reload?

My first TW was Rome, on a computer running XP with less than the minimum RAM the OS required, it took about 30 minutes to load the first battle I would play in a session and about 20 for all the rest. I can’t believe I completed an entire campaign that way as a kid, lol.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Chakan posted:

My first TW was Rome, on a computer running XP with less than the minimum RAM the OS required, it took about 30 minutes to load the first battle I would play in a session and about 20 for all the rest. I can’t believe I completed an entire campaign that way as a kid, lol.
Abuse demanded a 486SX at minimum and I ran it on a 386SX. No wonder I can still tolerate 30fps to this day; I grew up gaming at 1-2fps.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Lol got ultimate campaign victory as Belakor on a turn where I was just autoresolving battles to save time, an Ikit Claw autoresolve wiped out Belakor's entire army but it didn't matter as some other nameless AI killed the last Wood Elf enclave in the Southlands. A win's a win, even when it's a loss

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Wow there is a whole lot going on in this game.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Shumagorath posted:

Abuse demanded a 486SX at minimum and I ran it on a 386SX. No wonder I can still tolerate 30fps to this day; I grew up gaming at 1-2fps.
I also played warcraft iii on a machine that averaged 5 fps and took something like 3 hours to install it. I remember that second part because at some point I thought re-installing would help with the framerate issues, and foubd that it didn’t save my campaign.

A game that plays at 2 fps and you can get upgrades to increase or decrease it could be really cool.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

The Door Frame posted:

Ok, it's crazy how you just described this because I sat at the faction select screen for like 20 minutes today after giving up my Alberic campaign yesterday at about 40 turns in. Most of my campaigns end before turn 80 and I've only run into one endgame scenario

I can't explain it

I did this with the other games too, its just how total war works. Your challenging bit is early game and then you can't be stopped.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I've been busting my head against the wall trying to play Karl Franz on Hard campaign difficulty, and decided to drop back down to normal to see if I've gotten any better at the game. Turns out, the rest of the campaign maps just behaves totally differently! Things aren't going great but I feel much more stable I think. Still having fun.

I understand the complaints people have about IE, but even with all that, my campaigns feel very fresh and different each time I boot them up.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Dick Trauma posted:

Wow there is a whole lot going on in this game.

Total Warhammer is even more complicated than regular Total War, especially because of all the faction specific mechanics. If you have the budget you might want to try Total War Three Kingdoms

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

where are the chorfs where did you hide them give them to me

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I'll never tell....

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

wedgie deliverer posted:

I understand the complaints people have about IE, but even with all that, my campaigns feel very fresh and different each time I boot them up.

I restarted my Durthu campaign a few times, and had completely different political alignments each time. Turns out that having the Empire turn against you makes Athel Loren and Gryphon Wood into very different experiences.

I'm excited to try a Drycha campaign next and do Drycha: World Police: Chaostide Edition.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Third World Reagan posted:

where are the chorfs where did you hide them give them to me
They need extra time to build the trains and hats

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Dandywalken posted:

I'll never tell....

Kazuuk (Chaos-ishly)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm a little surprised there hasn't been any updates in January, even just a 'we haven't forgotten you'

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

It's because they've forgotten us

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
the dev manning the "good content/bad content" lever is asleep at his desk again

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

January ends tomorrow. Maybe... maybe... maybe?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Muscle Tracer posted:

I restarted my Durthu campaign a few times, and had completely different political alignments each time. Turns out that having the Empire turn against you makes Athel Loren and Gryphon Wood into very different experiences.

I'm excited to try a Drycha campaign next and do Drycha: World Police: Chaostide Edition.

Oh man, I hadn't considered what would happen if they went aggro on you. I gifted Karl some of the Bret territory I stole early on because I thought holding settlements as WE was bad and that seems to have worked out.

I got all worked up about the vampire end-game event, but it did ended up not bad at all. Had a couple tough battles where it was like 3 of my stacks against five of theirs, but now it's fine. Just need to do Orien's Camp and Oak of Ages and I'm done. Not even really sweating the two revived vamp factions near Athel Loren.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Farecoal posted:

Total Warhammer is even more complicated than regular Total War, especially because of all the faction specific mechanics. If you have the budget you might want to try Total War Three Kingdoms

This almost feels like a Paradox game, but I must forge ahead because there are orks occupying dwarf towns and that needs to be addressed.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

be the true wood elves and declare war on high elves

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Third World Reagan posted:

be the true wood elves and declare war on everyone

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The only good wood elves are compost.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I'm finally starting to get a handle on manually carrying out assaults on walled cities. It's all about timing when you send in your melee. Too early and they get mulched, too late and you won't have enough ammo and magic to support them. Gotta get the boys in there and turn the terrain against the defender.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Personally, I just explode all the walls

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

That's fun too but I don't have 10 helstorm rocket batteries on turn 11

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I'm a little surprised there hasn't been any updates in January, even just a 'we haven't forgotten you'

Hey now, there was the "it's the year of the rabbit, click here for absolutely nothing of value" on the train toe screen

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

So, if you get a bunch of infantry fighting on the walls in a siege and then overcast heart of winter next to the walls, you'll do pretty good damage to the defenders. Got 300 odd kills with one cast.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

The roadmap got delayed to February lol Assuming it doesn't get delayed again, we should be hearing news soon. Man, it's gonna be hilarious if they moved the release window for the next big update to Q3 :allears:
To be fair given the amount of content the game has already one DLC a year isn't that terrible, all things considered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

So, if you get a bunch of infantry fighting on the walls in a siege and then overcast heart of winter next to the walls, you'll do pretty good damage to the defenders. Got 300 odd kills with one cast.

Heart of Winter isn't a bad spell, especially against the AI, but it costs quite a lot and has some effects that don't quite work as well together. The stacking slow is nice, but for maximum effect (and the Winds cost requires this) you want to use it on enemies already engaged, so the slow does little. You can use it to retreat your troops somewhat while the enemy is slowed for more shooting, I suppose.

Katarin's cost reduction makes it quite nice. Not just that, but with how cheap her Loremaster trait makes her ice sheet it means you can spam the sheet at will.