Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

gently caress it’s not going to YouTube? that blowwws. i really loved Red Zone. it’s how I watched most NFL stuff

e: https://www.theverge.com/2022/12/23/23523280/youtube-nfl-redzone-channel-sunday-ticket

ah maybe it’s still here? just not on DirectTV? i hope I don’t have to pay for Sunday Ticket for it.

It’s a little confusing, but there were two RedZone channels that basically did the same thing.

NFL RedZone, officially named as “NFL RedZone from NFL Network” is the one hosted by Scott Hanson that’s on various different cable providers and IIRC a few streaming services as well. This started in 2009

“Red Zone Channel” was the one hosted by Andrew Siciliano and was exclusively part of DirecTV’s Sunday Ticket package. This one actually started earlier, in 2005.

“Red Zone Channel” with Siciliano is gone now that Sunday Ticket is leaving DirecTV for YouTube TV. YouTube TV is simply going to include “NFL RedZone from NFL Network” with Hanson that all the other cable providers already use rather than have their own special version of it like DirecTV did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
A real Gallagher/Gallagher Too situation.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Bird in a Blender posted:

If my team was in the process of winning a championship, I'm watching that thing until the very end, I don't care if they're winning by 1 or 100. Just lets you ride that high a little longer.

I'd love to see a geographic breakdown.

Also, probably at least a handful of people watched the SEC Network because it synced UGA radio. It's not nearly as prevalent as it once was, but it used to be an absolute requirement (when Larry Munson was still living) that you turned on the TV but listened to the radio. I still do that with Georgia football.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Rick posted:

Don't blame me I watched the sky cam.

As did I. So refreshing to just hear the stadium sound.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

fartknocker posted:

It’s a little confusing, but there were two RedZone channels that basically did the same thing.

NFL RedZone, officially named as “NFL RedZone from NFL Network” is the one hosted by Scott Hanson that’s on various different cable providers and IIRC a few streaming services as well. This started in 2009

“Red Zone Channel” was the one hosted by Andrew Siciliano and was exclusively part of DirecTV’s Sunday Ticket package. This one actually started earlier, in 2005.

“Red Zone Channel” with Siciliano is gone now that Sunday Ticket is leaving DirecTV for YouTube TV. YouTube TV is simply going to include “NFL RedZone from NFL Network” with Hanson that all the other cable providers already use rather than have their own special version of it like DirecTV did.

there were two loving Red Zones that did the exact same thing?

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

DO YALL WANT A BOXC posted:

there were two loving Red Zones that did the exact same thing?

Yeah, the Andrew Siciliano version which I called Big Ears Edition really started the Red Zone phenomena so credit where credit is due.
Once NFL Network launched their own version with Scott Hanson it was debatable which was the better product.

I prefer the Scott Hanson version but your mileage may vary.

The Andrew Siciliano version was really a promotional tool for Sunday Ticket because Andrew would say something like "Tune to Channel 635 to see Tom Brady pass Joe Montana's all time touchdown record."
For that reason alone the DirectTV version became more unnecessarily wordy in it's presentation whereas NFL Network Red Zone just whipped around.

Don't get me wrong though, Scott Hanson really loves the sound of his own voice sometimes but for the most part the chatter is less than Andrew Siciliano.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/Dom_2k/status/1614817439912689664?t=EWeF92LsgufMRANMuYQRjA&s=19

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Is that Mark Jones?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Crazy Ted posted:

Is that Mark Jones?

Yup.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lmfao

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Robnoxious posted:

Yeah, the Andrew Siciliano version which I called Big Ears Edition really started the Red Zone phenomena so credit where credit is due.
Once NFL Network launched their own version with Scott Hanson it was debatable which was the better product.

I prefer the Scott Hanson version but your mileage may vary.

The Andrew Siciliano version was really a promotional tool for Sunday Ticket because Andrew would say something like "Tune to Channel 635 to see Tom Brady pass Joe Montana's all time touchdown record."
For that reason alone the DirectTV version became more unnecessarily wordy in it's presentation whereas NFL Network Red Zone just whipped around.

Don't get me wrong though, Scott Hanson really loves the sound of his own voice sometimes but for the most part the chatter is less than Andrew Siciliano.

yeah I love/loved the Hanson one. glad he’s still gonna do it. I had no idea there was a Shadow Red Zone

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

He has been an incredibly easy announcer to listen to for god knows how long.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Mark Jones is so good he makes Mark Jackson a good broadcaster.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Having watched New Zealand vs. the USWNT last night, I can say that HBO Max's live coverage is good enough.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1616073432101175297

let's just say nexstar (the new owners of the cw) is incredibly lucky that sinclair exists

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

If you wanted to see the Blood Money Golf Tour compete for time with One Tree Hill re-runs on an app nobody uses, good news!

Awful Announcing posted:

So, finally, the folks at LIV (a dwindling bunch as some of the more qualified people have jumped ship) have their precious traditional distribution deal. Except it’s not really that at all.

For one, the CW has zero sports inventory. It’s not a natural destination, and there’s no real word yet on how many affiliates are cleared for the weekend programming schedule. And opening rounds will be entirely on the CW app, which is pretty clearly a step back from YouTube as an accessible streaming destination.

But at least LIV is getting a rights fee! Oh, no, they’re not getting that either, instead entering a revenue-sharing partnership in exchange for the airtime. That’s arguably better than the infomercial route, but it’s not the same thing as multiple networks beating down the door.

Instead it sort of just reinforces LIV’s place in the world of sports. It’s really easy to throw a ton of PIF money around, land recognizable names for guarantees, and then hold tournaments. It’s a lot harder to actually have any of that translate to fan interest in a sport that generally draws based on events, not names.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tony Dungy tweeted and later deleted a transphobic urban legend about litter boxes in classrooms. Today he… screenshotted the apology his lawyer or agent or whomever clearly texted to him

https://twitter.com/TonyDungy/status/1616860018300841985?s=20&t=yt3QKJX2uLPHRqw_nn4ZRA

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

God, gently caress Tony Dungy.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/SportsMediaNews/status/1617560248771813376

get ready mother fuckers it is PICKLEBALL TIME :toot:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Get ready to watch a bunch of white dudes who take poo poo way too seriously.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Crazy Ted posted:

Get ready to watch a bunch of white dudes who take poo poo way too seriously.

Oh poo poo, it’s bowling?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Scott Foster should take a break from ruining the NBA to do commentary.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
It's that time of the year again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqgNJxccGQc

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Instead of that idiot SAS watch Bomani's show

https://twitter.com/bomani_jones/status/1617874271547846657

He really is the best dude doing this poo poo

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
One of the few non-Pels sports guys I follow on Twitter.

Unfortunately, I only go on twitter when linked tweets from forums and discord nowadays, so I don't see his tweets as much

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Dexo posted:

Instead of that idiot SAS watch Bomani's show

https://twitter.com/bomani_jones/status/1617874271547846657

He really is the best dude doing this poo poo

Bomani is awesome but his show doesn't click with me for whatever reason

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Oops
https://mobile.twitter.com/SBJ/status/1618349015740948494

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Here we go, Sinclair 's sports wing looking to restructure some debt: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...author_18953096

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Mike_V posted:

Here we go, Sinclair 's sports wing looking to restructure some debt: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...author_18953096

It turns out that just telling all the television providers to just pay more, them saying no, and having very little of a functional backup plan was a stupid strategy.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
So...I work for DSG and nobody is telling us anything! We'll see what happens in mid-February I guess.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

TheWevel posted:

So...I work for DSG and nobody is telling us anything! We'll see what happens in mid-February I guess.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

AsInHowe posted:

It turns out that just telling all the television providers to just pay more, them saying no, and having very little of a functional backup plan was a stupid strategy.

The teams/leagues they're partnered with can't be happy either, because no one can watch their team anymore unless they pay for the overpriced (and poorly built) Bally app or have a traditional cable/satellite package (which, as we all know, people increasingly don't). Pretty hard to both keep existing fans happy and also grow the game when your sport's broadcasts are walled off into a specific silo that only the diehards are gonna care enough to access.

e: (And no, I'm not bitter at all about having to fork over $25/month just to watch my local teams using an app that glitches regularly)

RumbleFish fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jan 30, 2023

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

RumbleFish posted:

The teams/leagues they're partnered with can't be happy either, because no one can watch their team anymore unless they pay for the overpriced (and poorly built) Bally app or have a traditional cable/satellite package (which, as we all know, people increasingly don't).

This is how it's been for like decades though, no? That isn't new or unique to Bally.....

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Lockback posted:

This is how it's been for like decades though, no? That isn't new or unique to Bally.....

The Fox Sports affiliates were available elsewhere, satellite, streaming, etc. Bally ran them off.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

AsInHowe posted:

The Fox Sports affiliates were available elsewhere, satellite, streaming, etc. Bally ran them off.

Bally sports is definitely on satellite and cable. The only fox Sports streaming services I was aware of required one of these packages anyway. I'm not sure what specifically is different (other than Bally being generally a worse production).

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
FWIW, the Fox RSNs were kicked off Dish before Sinclair bought them.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’d love to know how much Bally make from a cable subscriber because wanting $30 in my market for just app access is a rip.

Doesn’t help the app is garbage and keeps telling me I’m out of my zip code when I’m sat at home, threatening to pull the content if I keep this up.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

February 2020 is when Fox was removed from YouTube TV and they haven't been back, so that is the last time I watched a locally broadcast CBJ/Cavs/Guardians game.

I'm not paying Bally directly for a subscription service. Blackouts should be demolished. I have ESPN+ so let me watch all the games. All teams get enough TV money for it to not matter anymore.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Lol, not a single owner thinks they make enough money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'm pretty sure the vast majority of money teams make IS from RSNs, though.