Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

completely agree that we need nothing but polish for awhile.

I'm still hoping they give up on the stupid rear end in-game traders and eventual open-world plans.
With the way Streets runs, I think any open world aspirations are farcical. There's a reason Destiny, Division, etc instance everything but trader hubs. I don't know about GTA Online or Dark Souls but both of those have had remote code execution so that's a hard nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I agree which is why I hope they don't stubbornly keep trying to make it a thing. The SPT thing widespread posted is cool in theory but I really feel like you gotta design a game from the ground up to do something like that, and you gotta make compromises in graphics and resource use in general. And that's just engine stuff, doesn't even address mechanics issues. 30 minutes in a Tarkov zone and you're having to worry about energy and hydration, no way is anybody making a trek across three maps without packing lunch and dinner. Loot is a problem too; anyone who's played the game for awhile can jump into any map and have a full backpack in minutes, so what's the appeal of having all of this lootable area?

I also just like the raid format. The time limit is a good thing IMO.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Division 1’s Dark Zone with some kind of forcing mechanism to replace the helicopters would be pretty great. That’s drop-in / drop-out in a fixed area and you can still have traders in safe zones with multiple exits.

I’d prefer that to DMZ’s radiation poo poo, anyway.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I've seen people having delusions about how cool Trakov would be in VR as well, FPS games not made for VR from the ground up tend to be pukefests. Literally.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
Lmao the camera shake while firing would be awful

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I agree which is why I hope they don't stubbornly keep trying to make it a thing. The SPT thing widespread posted is cool in theory but I really feel like you gotta design a game from the ground up to do something like that, and you gotta make compromises in graphics and resource use in general. And that's just engine stuff, doesn't even address mechanics issues. 30 minutes in a Tarkov zone and you're having to worry about energy and hydration, no way is anybody making a trek across three maps without packing lunch and dinner. Loot is a problem too; anyone who's played the game for awhile can jump into any map and have a full backpack in minutes, so what's the appeal of having all of this lootable area?

I also just like the raid format. The time limit is a good thing IMO.

This got me to thinking: what if a futuristic extraction shooter where you just teleport stuff to stash. Keep it open world- maybe have an option where leaving the raid would give you better buffs and more complex tuning/gearing/trading.... maybe have off-raid stuff advance a plot.

But aside from persistent worlds needing 24/7 uptime/restocking, balance would probably be outta wack.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I've seen people having delusions about how cool Trakov would be in VR as well, FPS games not made for VR from the ground up tend to be pukefests. Literally.

Slap those people and tell them "no".

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
I remember when state off decay 2 came out. It had resource use for bases and survivors tied to real world time, so if you could only play at weekends you'd come back to all your previous work gone and everything used up, it caused a lot of frustration for people, enough they patched it out in a couple of weeks.

A Tarkov like game, where resources lasted a long time if you're in raid, but also giving maybe an ex multiplier the longer you don't extract could be interesting. Would balance that risk/reward so long as the offline resources etc wasn't too much of a chore.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
What's a good go to weapon and ammo combo once I've unlocked level 2 traders?

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

.Ataraxia. posted:

My go-to this wipe was 5.45 PP

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

.Ataraxia. posted:

Any shotgun and magnum. Become the leg king.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Third Leg Meta

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

With the visual recoil changes shotguns are the best they've ever been I think

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
That explains my glaring lack of success with Factory Pistol Deathmatch :v:

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Learning Streets right now, it's not going super well...

But I'm two for two on running into and blasting headeyes on juiced out PMC's while I'm naked pistol running. Doing great for stirrup.

Shame in both cases they had a friend I didn't blast so judiciously.

DrHammond fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 30, 2023

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Can someone simplify shotguns and their ammo for me? I made a very long mp153 for fun but i don't know what ammo to use. Flechettes out of my budget.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

at level 1 traders you want to buy 12/70 7mm or Express 6.5 (more accurate, one more pellet, less damage per pellet) buckshot. At level 2 you can upgrade to 12/70 Magnum which has higher recoil but scary high damage. At level 3 Jaeger and if you've gone far enough down his questline you can buy Flechettes which are the big "gently caress your armor" round for shotguns.

With the buckshot you want to aim for the legs or the head if they don't have a face shield and they're close enough you're reasonably sure you can hit. Buckshot doesn't work well against body armor. Flechettes work well against anything.

WaltWilliams
Jan 27, 2016

poe meater posted:

Can someone simplify shotguns and their ammo for me? I made a very long mp153 for fun but i don't know what ammo to use. Flechettes out of my budget.

8.5mm Magnum Buckshot for budget flechette. It doesn't have the pen flechette has but it has a shitload of aim punch, high damage, relatively high chance for light and heavy bleeds and did I mention it aim punches the poo poo out of people? It aim punches the poo poo out of people. It's the budget flechette.

Use AP-20 for a ranged slug but be warned it's pretty expensive and has been nerfed this wipe IIRC. BMG-50 is the budget AP-20, still decent, still not as good as AP-20.

Use Rip or 8.5 Mag Buckshot if you're going to leg people to death (good strat, shotguns eat legs and therefore players; be warned that RIP is a slug though so you have to be very accurate) but honestly just use 8.5mm Mag Buckshot in all circumstances - aiming for head, centre mass or legs specifically - unless you can afford Flechette in which case use that or use AP-20/BMG-50 if you need shotgun kills at a "safe" range (punisher quests, etc).

Everything else is pretty much garbage and you can forget about them, especially 7mm buckshot, don't even bother.
---
Ed for this:
---

.Ataraxia. posted:

Ump + .45 ACP Match FMJ (not Lasermatch FMJ). All necessary attachments, mags, ammo, etc purchased from Peacekeeper level 2 including the silencer. Silencer is the most expensive part of the build (costs as much if not more than the gun itself) so if you're losing kits, you can afford to run it without a silencer (though silencer is of course always preferred), make sure you always run it with some sort of negative recoil foregrip and you're good to go because this thing is a **LASER**. Has almost no pen but you can full auto and smoothly transition between multiple targets/body parts without losing any accuracy even before the recoil changes. The ammo may not be the best but once you've smoothly soloed two guys at one time (...) by holding mouse 1 and pulling from face 1 to face 2, you'll never want to shoot anything else... at least for a while.

Hope that helps.

WaltWilliams fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 30, 2023

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

e- obviously i was beaten here but i may as well leave it, just to have slightly different wording

.50 BMG and AP-20 (with AP-20 being significantly higher pen) are the only slugs with any decent penetration at all, so they're the only ones you can reliably kill with. I personally completely avoid any other slugs entirely. maybe they can be used to leg someone down pretty fast, but if you're going for legs just use buckshot.

for the rest of the non-flechette 12-70 ammos, magnum (8.5mm) buck is the best. none of the buckshots have any pen at all, so you may as well use magnum, as its damage per pellet is a ~30% increase over 7mm, which is the one you'll find on scavs most of the time. given none of the buckshots can pen even a paca, you need to aim for unarmored areas. ignore the 5/6mm buckshots. you'll see them occasionally but they're even lower damage than 7mm.

flechette is the odd one out, as it's multi-projectile like buckshot, but it actually has pen roughly comparable to 5.45 PS. each of the 8 projectiles does 25 damage, making kinda like shooting 4 5.45 ps rounds at once. flechette has another pretty impressive benefit of doing a ton of armor damage, meaning even if you're shooting through a t5 and you'll not pen, you're quickly gonna destroy the armor and start doing flesh damage. I'd highly highly recommend getting the materials for the flechette workbench craft so you can start making those rounds. the fuel tank can be empty, so don't throw those out when you use up the fuel.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
Thanks for all the info. So when do you guys use slugs vs buckshot? I seen people die from buckshot from a decent distance but that's more RNG right? Like a pellet hits their face or something?

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

poe meater posted:

Thanks for all the info. So when do you guys use slugs vs buckshot? I seen people die from buckshot from a decent distance but that's more RNG right? Like a pellet hits their face or something?

It's preference really. Slugs w/ armour pen if you wanna shoot people in the face or body and reliably pen whatever armour they're wearing (unless it's extremely beefy). If you're going with buckshot, blow their legs off.

Buckshot at a distance can still be pretty reliable when shooting at the head though.

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
There's also flechette rounds which will tear someone's armour up pretty fast

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
Or you can get some of the high accuracy bonus cheapo slugs like superformance or FTX and use a scope and suppressor to blast people's kneecaps off from 100m away. Most times it slows them enough to put a slug through the dome too if they haven't pre-med.

Copper For Lyfe
Jun 1, 2011
6.5mm express is great imo. One extra pellet, and the pellets still do enough damage that one pellet can one shot the face.

You want to be aiming legs tho unless your real close.

Mag buck does more damage if every pellet hits. Against unarmored enemies, I dont think any thing will else will kill someone quicker than mag buck.

Flechette is the first thing you'll unlock with any pen I think, as .50 and ap20 are quest locked, so until then just aim for stomach/legs with buckshot.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
Thanks for the solid advice everyone! I'm sold on the UMP. Aside: this game gives me the shortest turnaround time from rage quit to clicking play out of any game I've ever played.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Eventually you'll stop rage quitting and instead you'll just shrug with helpless resign and gear up to go again. That's when you know you'll never escape from Tarkov, but you'll survive it.

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Eventually you'll stop rage quitting and instead you'll just shrug with helpless resign and gear up to go again. That's when you know you'll never escape from Tarkov, but you'll survive it.

"Godamnnit that was a bullshit death gently caress this game!"

"Oh but my Scav is up, maybe just a quick..."

"Okay that went well let's try with the PMC again."

"Okay well that one was close let's just gear back up and..."

"Godamnnit that was a bullshit death gently caress this game!"

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I'm having far more "Oh gently caress he got me good" and "OH GOD I GOT HIM GOOD" than bullshit deaths this wipe, which is certainly a plus and down to fact this is my sixth wipe.

Had a weird bug yesterday - I spawned as a Scav at the Scav Camp on Interchange. This might be related, but almost every time I Scav there, I hear the plane coming, and it usually drops the package next to the big sign next to the southern roudabout (or whichever is the Oli side). As I'm close I just gun it there when I hear the engines and yeah it drops the package again there. I wait for it to drop, scan the area for other contenders and go for it.
And then the interact point never spawned. I spent good 5 minutes trying to find it, jumping on the box to confirm it was real, but never found it. But, no other players arrived. So maybe it was some odd clientside care package? Odd. Ended up doing my usual Techno - Oli - Gun box at the Oli ramp - 2 caches next to the bonfire, and all other boxes worked fine for me, which only made it weirder.

Anyone had anything similar?

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Last wipe, if you came into the raid when the plane was already arriving, it wouldn't let ypu loot the box. Hiding out, alt f4 ing and rejoining the raid sorted it though, some kinda weird thing with the box already/not existing when you load in.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

On shotgun talk, one of my favorite ways to burn roubles kit out is with a ridiculously tricked out monster of a Saiga 12ga. Nothing says class and style like a 20 round drum mag of flechette thrown with extreme prejudice at whatever I’m aiming at.

The downside is not accidentally dropping the mag on reload because it’s 2x2 and you filled that spot in your rig without noticing. :v:

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I got a daily quest to kill 8 scavs with a 155, which I had never used or paid any attention to before, and I decided to mod the hell out of it. Once you attach all the Ultima stuff it ends up looking sleek, futuristic, and aggressive. I like aggressive-looking guns (except for the AUG, which I love in all games, but it looks like a children's toy and a poorly made one at that) and I may keep using it.

Incoming Chinchilla
Apr 2, 2010

Kikas posted:

I'm having far more "Oh gently caress he got me good" and "OH GOD I GOT HIM GOOD" than bullshit deaths this wipe, which is certainly a plus and down to fact this is my sixth wipe.

I find deaths on Shoreline and Woods just seem so random and uncontrollable.

Like I'll kill a guy because he wandered into my LOS, but if I was one minute ahead of my run I would have wandered into his instead.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I greatly dislike Shoreline for a lot of reasons and that’s one of them, but it also was the map I’ve had my single greatest kill that involved feigning death by going prone behind cover and hoping I didn’t bleed out before the dude came around for me to take out his legs. Best gotcha moment on another player I’ve had in this game.

WaltWilliams
Jan 27, 2016

Bussamove posted:

I greatly dislike Shoreline for a lot of reasons and that’s one of them, but it also was the map I’ve had my single greatest kill that involved feigning death by going prone behind cover and hoping I didn’t bleed out before the dude came around for me to take out his legs. Best gotcha moment on another player I’ve had in this game.

I also dislike Shoreline mainly because in OCE it is infested with hackers. Earlier this wipe I was killed by hackers three raids (as a PMC) in a row on Shoreline. It is horrendous. It's gotten so bad my friends and I refuse to play Shoreline just because the odds are we will get headshot from 200m away by (insert ethnic Chinese name in white letters) using 5.45 PS. It sucks...

But I will say I have had some good times on Shoreline when it hasn't been overrun by cheaters.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Ah, my first random boss encounter. This wipe it's Reshala, just as I emerge from room 114 with the quest items.

At least it's not the one I'd still have to plant at Factory :v:

DrHammond
Nov 8, 2011

Nothing beats Interchange Parking Killa.

"Oh a random Scav in the dark..."

*Incoherent Killa Shouting*

"Oh fu-*splat*"

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
Has BSG mentioned any plans to raiders/bosses/rogues to replace their heads with flesh and not titanium as it currently is?

It's so frustrating to shoot someone in the face, look at the bullet hole in their nose, and still have them shoot back.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

The other night, playing the single player mod with a mod on top of it which forces bosses to spawn at different rates & locations, I ran into The Goons inside dorms three stories and managed to take them out. While I was enjoying the loot a wave of scavs spawned in and Gluhar and his gang all poured out of a single room in front of me. Managed to take them all out and escape with the incredible loot.

I know that single player is a very different experience that a lot of goons don't like but never knowing where a boss will be / WHO it will be is loving rad. Factory Boss Rush Mode is loving horrific.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

DrHammond posted:

Nothing beats Interchange Parking Killa.

"Oh a random Scav in the dark..."

*Incoherent Killa Shouting*

"Oh fu-*splat*"
My friend and I have been instagibbed clearing some random store and gone “I think that was Killa…” / “Yep it was Killa” at least once per wipe since buying the game.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Speaking of Bosses, last two wipes I've had luck with Ghulkar glitching out - he and his goons got stuck on a random stairway in the buildings around the chopper, I just plinked them from outside with my SKS. Never shot back, crazy.

But those were the wipes where I became a Woods main and the only times I got to meet Shturman were when I was a Scav.
Did you know it's a -0.2 penalty per boss kill (and -0.05 per guard, meaning it's -0.3 for the full pack)? I managed it two times, the third one I just looked at the sky and let the void take me. It still brands you a Scav traitor, that's a fun experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

I got drilled by a zavodsky with 3 rounds of BT in the exact same spot while running perpendicular at 100m yesterday, very interactive