Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

Ups_rail posted:

does that mean someone would buy nft's of my posts

I will. But I'll only pay in pig-ball coin that I'm creating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ymgve posted:

I remember some story where a trader forgot to tick the «do not ship» checkbox and ended up with a barge of coal trying to dock at the trading company
When you're having a period where you ran out of room and contract storage fees would scuttle the little margin you make you make the checkbox really small and with a cut rate. Some idiot 20 year old quant will not notice or will get some imaginary quote on imaginary storage that doesn't exist and owe detention and sell the material at a cutter rate (to you if you have room now) to settle the transport and storage debt. One weird trick raw material companies don't want you to know.

Who remembers every smart guy who was like "I can figure out storage no problem" when oil was free?

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

ponzicar posted:

So there's people out there buying notable quantities of gold who both trust the fiat system of some random dude who says he has gold bars more than the fiat system of the US government, and more importantly, don't want to pretend they've discovered pirate treasure by piling the bars and coins onto their desk?

Yes.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

John_A_Tallon posted:

You don't even need real gold, tungsten with a little electroplated layer works if you're dealing with people stupid enough to buy certificates for hold gold.

Lead would be cheaper and probably work just as well.

ymgve posted:

I remember some story where a trader forgot to tick the «do not ship» checkbox and ended up with a barge of coal trying to dock at the trading company

There was a very funny albeit possibly fake post on reddit by some guy who was trading commodity futures. He forgot to close one of his positions and apparently ended up with container loads of ornamental gourds left at his house.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

gay picnic defence posted:

There was a very funny albeit possibly fake post on reddit by some guy who was trading commodity futures. He forgot to close one of his positions and apparently ended up with container loads of ornamental gourds left at his house.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/kzoh1c/i_am_financially_ruined_agricultural_futures/

quote:

I have lost everything, and I'm not sure how to continue. This summer I invested $17,500 (six months salary and my entire life savings) into ornamental gourd futures, hoping to capitalize on this lucrative emerging industry. After watching a video about Vincent Kosuga and his monopoly on onions, I decided I'd try to do something similar with another vegetable. I did some research and found out many agricultural forecasters expected this year's gourd yield would be far smaller than the past, due to deteriorating soil conditions in central Mexico and a warmer-than-average spring. At first, demand soared around Halloween and prices skyrocketed, but the gourd bubble burst on November 12th. Unfortunately, the coronavirus caused a massive drop-off in demand due to fewer families decorating their tables for thanksgiving, and prices plummeted. I had invested early enough that I thought I would still be fine, but then on the morning of December 2nd, a new email in my inbox caused my stomach to turn into a pretzel. The massive gourd shipment from Argentina, scheduled for early March, had arrived. I was planning on selling off my futures right before this, in February, but this ruined everything. To top it off, the gourds in this shipment were absolutely gargantuan, some topping 4 pounds each, causing the price-per-pound to drop like an anchor into the range of 6 cents per pound. I am ruined.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Ups_rail posted:

does that mean someone would buy nft's of my posts

if you don't try you'll never know

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Feels like that Homer Simpson gag just updated for the current realm of idiocy. I sure hope someone making less than $3k a month isn’t throwing that kind of money into such nonsense anyway.

Termyie
Aug 18, 2022

Always choose violence.

Of course she is wearing gymshark. It is like a influencer bingo card come to life.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I got the "there's more money laundering in dollars than in Bitcoin" speech again. Never ends.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Is bit coin up down or side ways

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Ah, check this one. Hot on the heels of nobody giving a poo poo about crypto, we have (emphasis mine):

catcoin posted:

https://catcoin.com/
https://twitter.com/catcoincash
https://t.me/catcoincash

REGISTER AN ACCOUNT
Create and verify your account to receive your unique sharing url

SHARE YOUR POST
Use your custom url to share your posts on your favourite social media.

GET REWARDED
Fight biased news and get rewarded for sharing content.

In case you can't see what's happening, they're desperate to create a following for crypto.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

EL BROMANCE posted:

Feels like that Homer Simpson gag just updated for the current realm of idiocy. I sure hope someone making less than $3k a month isn’t throwing that kind of money into such nonsense anyway.

This guy has spent the last two years repeatedly investing his entire life in zany get-rich schemes.
And may have narrowly dodged causing an ecological disaster.

https://old.reddit.com/r/BestofRedditorUpdates/comments/108enh7/tifu_by_importing_bees_to_uruguay/

It reminds me of Casey Serin from the subprime mortgage days.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

ullerrm posted:

This guy has spent the last two years repeatedly investing his entire life in zany get-rich schemes.

https://old.reddit.com/r/BestofRedditorUpdates/comments/108enh7/tifu_by_importing_bees_to_uruguay/

This is incredible :psyduck:

quote:

Using an ant farm to generate encryption keys? - 1st of August, 2021
I was recently sent a post about a guy talking about using an ant farm to generate random numbers for encryption keys, which he could supposedly sell to companies for a profit. I know there was that company that did a similar thing with lava lamps. Is this viable? If so, what kinds of algorithms would I need to use? How much do companies pay for random numbers like this?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

ullerrm posted:

Ooooh my god this is a must click.

Edit: It's not clear if he did narrowly avoid causing an ecologic disaster. It sounds like he bailed and never resolved it.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 30, 2023

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Telsa Cola posted:

Ooooh my god this is a must click.

I had opened it, closed it when I saw how long it was, and went back after your post. Holy poo poo yes I am glad I did.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
lol buying rhodium off of a Slovakian Overstock-like website and getting scammed.

Edit: I want this all to be true

Popete fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 30, 2023

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Where does this clearly incompetent person get the funds to bankroll all of that

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I don't know Im swinging rapidly between angry and confused with a miniscule amount of pity which rapidly evaporates.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

ullerrm posted:

:lol:

This is an amazing read and I want to believe.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Termyie posted:

Of course she is wearing gymshark. It is like a influencer bingo card come to life.

Natalie is sarcastic, don’t take her videos seriously. She says “don’t actually assume this.”

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Sophy Wackles posted:

:lol:

This is an amazing read and I want to believe.

by the time I got to “Need someone to assume monthly payments on large waterbed”, I had completely forgotten that I got there from the bitcoin thread rather than the BWM thread

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
From one of the comments.

quote:

OOP made a post asking where to buy cabbages in bulk

Hey Tulsa, I need to buy bulk green cabbage for a project, probably in the range of 400-500 heads. Does anyone know of a place nearby where could find that many?

Was querried about why

Response Long story. My cousin just installed a heated pool in his backyard about a couple months ago. Last week we were drunk watching an OU game and decided gently caress it, what if we made a massive vat of cabbage soup in the pool (we'd drain it and clean it out before hand). package it in disposable containers, and give it away to anyone who wants it in Northeast Oklahoma.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Springtime for Bitcoin and cabbage soup

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I found the #1 technical analysis resource for everyone!
https://www.patreon.com/APFK_AsianPicasso
Check the chart art, it's pure ghostty material.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

notwithoutmyanus posted:

"Its not a bubble, its not a bubble!"

Then portrays the graphs as bubbles.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

What the gently caress am I even looking at here?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

ullerrm posted:

I'm a former resident of Oklahoma, and currently one of the largest beekeepers in Uruguay by hive volume.

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

ullerrm posted:

This might be fake but I have met so many people exactly like this in AA.

"I found a drop shipping opportunity for vapes that catch fire and I'm going to sell them to the asian population of Baytown, Texas." - A business pitch I heard in a church parking lot

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

That man is an up and coming entrepreneur, trying to get his illegal Turkish ice cream juggling business off the ground while he couch surfs/sleeps in the park in the Netherlands during Nordic winter.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Gubbinal Girl posted:

This might be fake but I have met so many people exactly like this in AA.

"I found a drop shipping opportunity for vapes that catch fire and I'm going to sell them to the asian population of Baytown, Texas." - A business pitch I heard in a church parking lot

Is vaping allowed in texas? I figured they just smoke cigerrates

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Texas is chaw country

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

How can we put nicotine on the blockchain?

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Sophy Wackles posted:

How can we put nicotine on the blockchain?

i have an nft of 15mg of nicotine, which is better than any fungible vape paraphenilia you fudsters might depend on

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Ups_rail posted:

Is vaping allowed in texas? I figured they just smoke cigerrates

As far as I've been able to tell, the only things that are illegal in Texas are being trans and u-turns.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Neito posted:

As far as I've been able to tell, the only things that are illegal in Texas are being trans and u-turns.

Also driving while non-caucasian is heavily frowned upon.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
I was lolling at the image of the dorky white guy (even with face blacked out you could tell) in full Turkish ice cream man regalia standing around an Anatolian truck stop cafe.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

SettingSun posted:

That man is an up and coming entrepreneur, trying to get his illegal Turkish ice cream juggling business off the ground while he couch surfs/sleeps in the park in the Netherlands during Nordic winter.

There's lots to take in from his posts but I love his plan for living semi-legally* in the NL: just go to London for the day and then come back with his second passport. A plan no immigration official has ever seen before and is totally untrained to detect.

*not at all legally

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Who's ready for power tools on the blockchain?

https://www.lowesinnovationlabs.com/projects/projectunlock

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
The Pez Outlaw (Netflix documentary, very recommended) was a scheme that made more sense than all of those combined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Gubbinal Girl posted: