Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for living within my wife's means instead of my own?

it's unfair because he can just pay for the fancy new car "above her means" that he wants but she can't do the same thing for herself, hth

atomicdream posted:

From 1 year ago...
AITA for not wanting to adopt my "dying" ex-girlfriends child?

And the wholesome update.

UPDATE: AITA for not wanting to adopt my "dying" ex-girlfriends child?

at least there are some decent people in the world, this was a tear-jerker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
yeah also she's going to be working at walmart until the day she dies because "living within her means" means that she's spending 100% of her money and he's the only one who's putting anything away for retirement. somehow i don't think he's going to get generous later on

in the comments he keeps smugly telling people "we have a prenup", but i think it's one of those one-sided prenups that a divorce judge will gleefully slam dunk in the trash

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

value-brand cereal posted:

quote:

that gray rock thing people do to deal with psychopaths

Wait what's this about

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

ilmucche posted:

Wait what's this about

you be as uninteresting as possible, like a grey rock, so that you don't give the rear end in a top hat the reaction that they're looking for

Calypso
Sep 28, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Finally caught up in this thread. Does anyone have links to the previous ones?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

MK-Ultramarathon posted:

I love no-stakes dishwashing drama!

AITA for drying dishes in the oven?

Really no idea how I feel about this one. I guess technically though this isn't hugely different from dishwashers that have a heated dry option? When I was a kid I was taught that as part of washing a cast iron, you can toss it back on the stove for a few minutes to dry it out, but I have no idea if that's bad for the pan or not.

I think if you live alone this is perfectly fine. I learned as a teenager it's bad to keep things in the oven. My grandmother use to use the oven as extra storage space for pots and pans. I would constantly start preheating the oven forgetting things were in there. So in my oven there is nothing but a pizza pan and a thermometer.

It shouldn't be his/her roommates problem to always check to see if something is in there before turning the oven on. Even though the complaint was he is worried it could damage the dishes. Just having to wait for everything to cool back down after preheating to take everything out, and then preheat things again is a bitch because now you have to wait longer to eat, also it's a waste of gas/electric

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 31, 2023

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

DeeplyConcerned posted:

maybe she can wear a giant dinosaur costume and then put the gold jewelry on top of that. The pictures would be hilarious..
I will not have a wedding unless at least one person wears a giant dinosaur costume.

olylifter posted:

Don gives a pack of these to Peggy in Mad Men and references them being his father's favourite candy. I never knew the booze connection but drat if that isn't some deep level Matthew Weiner type noise.

But . . . Don never knew his father

Barudak
May 7, 2007

As long as you don't do the peak american stupid thing of storing loaded handguns in the oven yall are fine

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for moving to a hotel because my wife's family insisted I sleep on the couch?

quote:

My wife and I got married last summer. Her family lives across the country from us, so up until this point I had never actually visited them, but I had met them a handful of times and we've always gotten along fine.

They invited us to come visit and stay with them for a few days and we took them up on the offer. We flew in yesterday, and everything went well - her dad and I watched football while she caught up with her mom and sisters, and then we had a really nice dinner. But things went south at the end of the night when it was made clear that they didn't want me sharing a bed with my wife while in their home, and that they expected me to sleep on the couch.

I honestly thought they were joking at first, but they insisted we sleep separately. I had a problem with the implication that I shouldn't be allowed to sleep next to my wife, and I also have a bad back and the couch did not look the least bit comfortable (they don't have a guest room).

After arguing back and forth for a bit, I decided to leave and book a hotel. I told my wife she didn't have to come with me, she chose to stay and I said I'd come back the next day. I went off to a Marriott about 10m away and got a good night's sleep, trying to not let the whole situation bother me.

This morning, I called my wife asking when I should come by. She told me her parents want me to apologize for leaving the way I did. I told her that I'm willing to apologize to keep the peace, but they need to acknowledge that it wasn't appropriate to insist I can't share a bed with my own wife. She said she'd talk to them and call me back.

About 10 minutes later, I hear back from her, and she tells me that not only will they not apologize for it, they are now insisting I need to come back and stay on the couch for the rest of our visit, and if I don't agree to this, I'm not welcome back in the house. I'm pretty livid at this point - I told her that there's absolutely no chance that I will do that, and I am no longer willing to offer any sort of apology.

My wife's sisters are now bothering me saying this is just the way their parents are, that my wife is very upset, and that I need to just give in and stay on the couch for the rest of the trip before this turns into some sort of family feud. From my perspective, I don't care what they think and I'm willing to treat the rest of this trip as a solo vacation, go sightseeing and meet my wife back at the airport at the end of the week.

AITA?

well your marriage lasted almost a year, not bad for a first try

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Foo Diddley posted:

AITA for moving to a hotel because my wife's family insisted I sleep on the couch?

How does the wife not have their partner's (bad) back on this one

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
a lifetime of "keeping the peace", i guess

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

ilmucche posted:

How does the wife not have their partner's (bad) back on this one

Same thing that leads to lovely husbands backing their own mother over their wife and claiming "you're not respecting my family" when the idea that you now have a 'new' family dynamic is completely alien to them

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Foo Diddley posted:

yeah also she's going to be working at walmart until the day she dies because "living within her means" means that she's spending 100% of her money and he's the only one who's putting anything away for retirement. somehow i don't think he's going to get generous later on

in the comments he keeps smugly telling people "we have a prenup", but i think it's one of those one-sided prenups that a divorce judge will gleefully slam dunk in the trash

What does he think money is for exactly? Women live longer than men on average, and there's no mention of kids or any other sort of legacy he's trying to set up. Just throwing his quality of life down the drain for his commitment to fairness.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

trickybiscuits posted:

Didn’t he at least know him well enough to remember seeing him get kicked in the head by a horse and die?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

What does he think money is for exactly? Women live longer than men on average, and there's no mention of kids or any other sort of legacy he's trying to set up. Just throwing his quality of life down the drain for his commitment to fairness.

He may honestly just value fairness more than money. That isn’t always a virtuous trait.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Foo Diddley posted:

What do the parents want this bloke to apologize for?

The said "You can't sleep in the same bed as your wife.", he went "OK. But I can't sleep on your couch coz of my bad back. So I will respect your rules and sleep elsewhere." That seems reasonable.

And they want him to apologize to them? Also, if he doesn't apologize, and continues to respect their rules by sleeping comfortably elsewhere he is not welcome in their house?

gently caress these parents. And gently caress the "this is just how they are. You should cave and always do what they say to keep the peace" sisters. Bloke was even prepared to make the face saving apology, even though he knows he did nothing wrong, but they had to push further.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

BrigadierSensible posted:

What do the parents want this bloke to apologize for?

The said "You can't sleep in the same bed as your wife.", he went "OK. But I can't sleep on your couch coz of my bad back. So I will respect your rules and sleep elsewhere." That seems reasonable.

And they want him to apologize to them? Also, if he doesn't apologize, and continues to respect their rules by sleeping comfortably elsewhere he is not welcome in their house?

gently caress these parents. And gently caress the "this is just how they are. You should cave and always do what they say to keep the peace" sisters. Bloke was even prepared to make the face saving apology, even though he knows he did nothing wrong, but they had to push further.

they were trying to hurt and humiliate him in order to demonstrate their control over him, so when he avoided all that while still staying within the letter of their "rules", of course this enraged them. they want him to apologize and sleep on the couch so that he will be humiliated and hurt and controlled, because to people like that, "compromise" means "you give me everything that i want". the wife and sisters want him to go along with this because they've spent their entire lives making "compromises" like that with their parents

hopefully the dude's wife wakes up because of this, but i ain't holding by breath waiting for it to happen

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Foo Diddley posted:

they were trying to hurt and humiliate him in order to demonstrate their control over him, so when he avoided all that while still staying within the letter of their "rules", of course this enraged them. they want him to apologize and sleep on the couch so that he will be humiliated and hurt and controlled, because to people like that, "compromise" means "you give me everything that i want". the wife and sisters want him to go along with this because they've spent their entire lives making "compromises" like that with their parents

hopefully the dude's wife wakes up because of this, but i ain't holding by breath waiting for it to happen

rock_the_boat.txt

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is a flagon a flat dragon like a flagel?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WzmnSyqv37A

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

But you don't understand, it was disrespectful for him to not put up with that level of disrespect

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pity he didn't suggest his wife sleep on the couch. The reaction would have been telling.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for not asking my ex for help when my daughter had her period?

quote:

EDIT I do not in any way shape or form limit contact or communication between my ex and our kids.
My ex wife works out of town. She works for two weeks and then gets a week off. I used to do that schedule as well but I now work from home as a maintenance planner.

When we divorced I got primary custody of our daughter and son since I was the one available to do the parenting.

I have very little interest in discussing anything with my ex. Yes there is a lot of bitterness and recrimination in our relationship. I loved my ex with all my heart. And while I always thought she was beautiful it wasn't as easy for other people to see. However when you are one of a dozen women in a 2,000 man work camp you get a lot of attention. That's all I'm going to say about that.

My daughter is ten year old and she just got her first period. I grew up with sisters and I am not a complete idiot so I had read up on what to do. I had also talked to my mom and sisters about it. I had been prepared since she was 8. I gave her the boxes of pads and tampons. I explained to her that it was normal and healthy. I watched a video with her that was a tutorial on what to do. I also asked her if she would like to talk to either my sister or the woman I'm seeing about how to do everything right.

She said that she understood and would like to talk to my sister on the weekend. After dinner on Saturday my sister talked to me about it. She said that I had gotten the basics correct and there were only a couple of things she needed to explain or correct.

My ex called to talk to the kids yesterday and afterwards yelled at me on the phone. She called me an rear end in a top hat for excluding her from a milestone in her daughter's life. I asked her if it had happened during her week with the kids if she would have told me about it. She said that wasn't the point. It was a mother daughter thing and that I took it away from her. I said it was a parent kid medical issue and that made it a me thing.

I am a man so maybe I just don't get it.

AITA?

AITA for telling my friends mom she is trying to get pregnant?

quote:

Im 21 my friend is 20.

We have been friends for 10 years. Our families very close.

She tends to fall in love with every guy she dates, and tends to become toxic. She will date any guy who gives her attention, and her relationships don't tend to last very long, often times with her being far more into the relationship than the guy.

She ended up meeting this guy online like 5 months ago. He lives like 3 hours away. He is 27, lives with his mom and honestly is a loser.

She drives to see him every couple of weeks.

We were hanging out last week and she mentioned that she had gotten her period. I said "that sucks..." and she said "you have no idea. (Bf) and I are trying to have a baby!"

I was like"wtf?!" and she goes into this elaborate fantasy about how they are going to live with his mom to save money to buy a house while she is pregnant, and they are going to get married, and how bad his mom wants grandkids.

I go over the million reasons this is a horrible idea with her and she had a reply for everything and didn't want to hear it.

Now, she also lives at home and its her momscar that she drives to see him, so I ended up telling her mom.

Her mom and her ended up getting into it and her mom took her car away.

I didn't want to tell on her, but I also couldn't just let her do it.

ETA: She has BPD.

I remember talking to an old coworker once, and she said she was seeing a new dude, and it had been a few months, and he wanted them to have a baby. Because he super loved her. And his two rear end in a top hat exes wouldn't let him see his other kids no matter what and even got the courts involved and it wasn't fair. So let's have a new one!

I don't know what happened after that.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 31, 2023

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Cowslips Warren posted:

I remember talking to an old coworker once, and she said she was seeing a new dude, and it had been a few months, and he wanted them to have a baby. Because he super loved her. And his two rear end in a top hat exes wouldn't let him see his other kids no matter what and even got the courts involved and it wasn't fair. So let's have a new one!

I don't know what happened after that.

They definitely had a baby.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for telling my friends mom she is trying to get pregnant?

it'll be like when a kid promises, promises, promises that they'll take care of the new puppy and then, surprise surprise, doesn't, except with a whole-rear end human child. mom ain't droppin that off at the pound and saying it went to live on a farm upstate

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for telling my fiancee that if he wants to cling onto his sister so much, he can marry her instead?

quote:

Backstory: Fiancee (33M) and I (34F) proposed 3 weeks ago and are planning on getting married in a few months, we met 3 years ago, hit it off, and now are planning a future. Fiancee had a horrible childhood, and sister was the only one to raise him. She practically views his sister as his role model, and is his best friend. I'm not sure how I think, but he says that his will to live was because of his sister, and how his whole life was only to begin with his sister". Sister is currently in medical school overseas, hasn't seen him in person for over 5 years and came to visit for a week. Here's where the problem starts:

On the day of the arrival, Fiancee jolts up 3 hours ahead of her arrival, and has a big bash of gifts for his sister, and i'm talking 2 times the amount of gifts he bought me the 3 years we were together. He continuously asks me every 5 mins if he looks good, and how nervous he is after seeing sister for over 5 years. I keep assuring him he's fine. When sister finally arrived, he ran up to her and hugged her, crying his eyes out, something he had never shown me as an emotion. Sister was a great person in general, and gave us both big expensive gifts for our engagement. We went home that day chilling.

The next few days were hell, all the things we did needed sister, and without sister we did nothing. "Oh, you want to go skating, let me ask sister if it's okay." Sister was the one assuring us that the two of us should spend time together without her, as it's not fair for me, but my fiance insisted we do it together, since there's not a lot of time left.

The last straw was yesterday, when my sister was currently wrapping up something for school upstairs and we were watching a movie. Fiancee requested that the three of us watch a movie in the theater. I got pissed, I got up, screamed off at him saying "if you want to cling onto your darn sister so much and do everything we should be doing alone together, go marry her instead" and ranting on and on how we barely spend anytime to ourselves and how he's so persistent on spending time with her and not me. He started pleading for forgiveness, and tried justifying that he just wanted to spend time with someone he's never seen for over 5 years, and he's sorry for making me feel like that. I got mad, did not hear the rest of it, and left the house to my mom, not wanting to talk to him anymore.

Now i'm getting tons of messages from him saying that he's sorry and he'll try to make alone time without his sister. From what I heard from his friends, he clinged onto his sister the whole time, crying on how guilty he feels. Sister reached out to me as well saying that she's sorry for making it seem like my needs were neglected, and she's willing to leave and go back so we can sort things out. I feel guilty as hell, but my needs were neglected the whole time. AITA?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for telling my fiancee that if he wants to cling onto his sister so much, he can marry her instead?

he hadn't seen the person who raised him in five years. did OP even give him 5 days before she blew up at him?

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Evil Willow posted:

I’m not going to say that dude has a healthy relationship with his sister but it’s a single week and the OP is having a meltdown about not being her fiancées focus.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Evil Willow posted:

A few pages ago, but I appreciate this a lot.

Edit for content...

AITA for living within my wife's means instead of my own?

I can never understand couples like this. A marriage is literally a union, how on earth could anyone believe that financially bettering both of their lives together isn't going to make them both happier? I knew a couple like this, dude had a mortgage and his partner moved in and he demanded that she pay half the mortgage payment as rent, despite maintaining the home in his name only. I mean, the other person in these situations is spineless but there has to be more to it than that, some underlying power dynamic and toxicity/toxic co-dependency. Even common law without a shared bank account I've always shared financial info with a partner and vice versa so there is never any shame in asking for help or paying an extra bill or rent once in a while. It takes a lot of potential tension out of a relationship.

Also, I was married for about a decade and one of the best things about it was sharing finances, so we could take turns going to grad school and then my partner got an awesome job and we went on a bunch of amazing vacations. When we split (amicably - gay) there was never a hint of alimony, we were even roommates for a year or so and split the rent of a pricier 2 bdrm 1/3 to 2/3. A couple of years later when I had moved into a new place solo I was struggling for a short while and she paid my rent for two months and insisted on it being a gift, and now takes me out for dinner regularly when I go out with her and her friends.

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

trickybiscuits posted:

I will not have a wedding unless at least one person wears a giant dinosaur costume.

from this scene where he's telling firstbobby about the man who he saw as his father,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-XT6Mw5D9M

I wasn't trying to get into the nuances of Dick Whitman's family situation man what can I tell you

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Foo Diddley posted:

he hadn't seen the person who raised him in five years. did OP even give him 5 days before she blew up at him?
Given how thermonuclear they went at not having his full attention, I'm amazed they gave him five hours.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Evil Willow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVznerpOkTI

atomicdream
Oct 4, 2017

shaking my money maker to fund my crippling glamour addiction.

Evil Willow posted:

Throw that whole fuckin' woman out.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Evil Willow posted:

I dunno about this one. Even the sister was saying that her brother would be okay without her for a hot second. Maybe sister was just being polite or maybe the sister was trying to get a loving break without kicking a puppy.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

quote:

Did you talk to your fiance about this before you blew up at him? Or was this something you brought up beforehand?

OP posted:

During the week

quote:

And what did he say?

OP posted:

The only time I talked to him about this was during the movie, thats all

so the only time she "talked" to him was when she exploded. this is def someone to build a life with

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
"if you want to cling to your goddamn kids so much then you should just marry them instead"

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Foo Diddley posted:

so the only time she "talked" to him was when she exploded. this is def someone to build a life with

Seems like two very, very needy people found each other and are keeping the dating pool safe. God bless them and God bless America.

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Pirate Radar posted:

He may honestly just value fairness more than money. That isn’t always a virtuous trait.

I'd be really curious to know if this guy's commitment to 50/50 extends to their chore split.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

deety posted:

I'd be really curious to know if this guy's commitment to 50/50 extends to their chore split.

No, see, because if she was living on her own she'd have to do all the cooking and cleaning, whereas he could afford to eat out all the time, so it's only fair that she keep doing that work. Wouldn't want her to profit in any way from being in a relationship.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013

deety posted:

I'd be curious what he brings to the table, other than being a prick, that his wife puts up with him. Seems like abuse to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

quantumwell posted:

I'd be curious what he brings to the table, other than being a prick, that his wife puts up with him. Seems like abuse to me.

What do you mean, "bring to the table"? Sounds an awful lot like letting her taking advantage of him. That's not how you win!