Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
Its also a super nice visual indicator that your car has in fact locked itself if nothing else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah I was gonna say that folding mirrors are generally more useful in foreign places or the few cities in the US that have narrow streets or parking. I also had a garage from ca 1910 that was a wonderful width for a Model T but less wonderful for an e39. Folding mirrors gained me about 2 inches on each side which probably doubled my clearance.

Yeah I have a late 50s 2 car garage that only has a 15’ door, folding mirrors makes a big difference.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Elviscat posted:

I can see why that'd be super useful, but I meant more the feature that folds them in when you turn the car off. Guess if you're gonna have a "fold the mirrors" button you might as well have the car do it automatically when parked to look cool and protect the mirrors?

Park your car in a street like this

https://goo.gl/maps/4wgit5QNz5XCJjic8

https://goo.gl/maps/tmeeeTHfV4KnjCEk6

Leave your mirrors open and the next rear end in a top hat going fast in a wide car/truck will rip them off.

Going in the road to close them will put you at risk of getting run over.

It makes sense to auto fold them at system shut down rather than pushing a button which could break or be forgotten by the driver.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 28, 2023

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I'd like that but also be able to fold it with my hand (or after the motorized thing breaks). I know some cars have that.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Russian Bear posted:

I'd like that but also be able to fold it with my hand (or after the motorized thing breaks). I know some cars have that.

You can close a motorized unit by hand but it will stress the motor/gearing over time.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Valicious posted:

Any Europe goons have experience with the VW ID.BUZZ? I’m looking at getting that next year as my first EV.

are you asking for first hand experience for a car that isn't yet for sale?

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I had a pre-order for an ID.4 from last June that was supposed to be fulfilled by November-December. Then that got pushed to February. This morning, they informed me it was pushed back again to May.

I canceled the stupid thing and tried my luck at the local Ford dealer. As it turned out, someone had just received a 2023 Mach-E premium that they were trying to finance with a crap credit rating and by trading in a car they still owed close to $15k on.

I feel a bit bad capitalizing on someone else’s misfortune, but man is it a cool car. I’m just worried a tree is going to fall on me or something to balance things out.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Almost Smart posted:

I had a pre-order for an ID.4 from last June that was supposed to be fulfilled by November-December. Then that got pushed to February. This morning, they informed me it was pushed back again to May.

I canceled the stupid thing and tried my luck at the local Ford dealer. As it turned out, someone had just received a 2023 Mach-E premium that they were trying to finance with a crap credit rating and by trading in a car they still owed close to $15k on.

I feel a bit bad capitalizing on someone else’s misfortune, but man is it a cool car. I’m just worried a tree is going to fall on me or something to balance things out.

Someone with bad credit and $15k in the hole on their trade-in probably shouldn't be buying a Mach-E premium in the first place, you may have done them a favor.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

gwrtheyrn posted:

are you asking for first hand experience for a car that isn't yet for sale?
It’s already on sale in Europe, just not in the US.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Valicious posted:

Any Europe goons have experience with the VW ID.BUZZ? I’m looking at getting that next year as my first EV.

It's using their atrocious all capacitive wheel which is not ideal, plus they are still having issues with the infotainment os. I wouldn't jump on blind, find a dealer with a demo unit and try before buying.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I doubt any goons have the BUZZ. Bjorn has a bunch of tests of that thing though if you want to know how many banana boxes you can fit in that bad boy or how far it'll go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LenFwTgX-us

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

I doubt any goons have the BUZZ. Bjorn has a bunch of tests of that thing though if you want to know how many banana boxes you can fit in that bad boy or how far it'll go

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LenFwTgX-us

Can you get it without the back seats? Want that van life

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

QuarkJets posted:

Can you get it without the back seats? Want that van life

Volks is also selling it as a commercial ev, which can be specced as you like.

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022
I watched this engineering explained video re: tire and wheel efficiency and now I’m thinking that I might get a new set of all season wheels to tide me over with my 2020 leaf s plus until such time as I’m ready for a new EV. I think it’s a good way to trick my brain into shiny new toy mode without the hassle and expense of a new car. Ideally I’d love it if could scrape an extra 5-10% of range with some decent lighter /thinner / smaller wheels that look spiffy but I’m not sure what I should be looking for. Any good sites/ resources for buying wheels/tires and comparing weight/diameter/width?

https://youtu.be/NYvKxsYFqO8

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone look at or try out a Benz EQB? Just learned about this and it’s a lot more reasonable than the EQS, price wise. Decent size with 7 seat option. Looks like more limited charging rate with max of 0-80 in 30 minutes so the hyundai/kias still have it beat..

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

The 3rd row is not actually intended for humans in that vehicle.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

drhankmccoyphd posted:

I watched this engineering explained video re: tire and wheel efficiency and now I’m thinking that I might get a new set of all season wheels to tide me over with my 2020 leaf s plus until such time as I’m ready for a new EV. I think it’s a good way to trick my brain into shiny new toy mode without the hassle and expense of a new car. Ideally I’d love it if could scrape an extra 5-10% of range with some decent lighter /thinner / smaller wheels that look spiffy but I’m not sure what I should be looking for. Any good sites/ resources for buying wheels/tires and comparing weight/diameter/width?

https://youtu.be/NYvKxsYFqO8

Just go with the smallest diameter wheels that will properly fit and then stick an EV specific all weather tire on them, otherwise keep the width the same as the OEM tires because the vehicle will be optimized for that amount of contact patch. Beyond just lower rolling resistance, tires customized for EVs usually have a bit stiffer sidewall and or other adjustments engineered to work better with the weight/torque/sound differences EVs typically have compared to ICE.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Russian Bear posted:

The 3rd row is not actually intended for humans in that vehicle.

Yeah it would be just for kids, but really having the actual usable storage space in the back with those folded is more important.

Man I just want an EV minivan that is actually nice to be in.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

priznat posted:

Yeah it would be just for kids, but really having the actual usable storage space in the back with those folded is more important.

Man I just want an EV minivan that is actually nice to be in.

If you can hold out a bit longer, an EV Kia Carnival is supposed be out in the next year or two. As much as it pains me to say it, the only practical three row EVs right now are the Model X and R1S. Problem is, they cost a fortune. I wonder if real 3 row alternatives will drive X prices down.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Aino Minako posted:

If you can hold out a bit longer, an EV Kia Carnival is supposed be out in the next year or two. As much as it pains me to say it, the only practical three row EVs right now are the Model X and R1S. Problem is, they cost a fortune. I wonder if real 3 row alternatives will drive X prices down.

Yeah no chance on either the X or the Rivian. I am interested in the volvo EX90 but if there is an EV carnival coming out (or the ev9/ioniq 7, probably similar time frame with a bit less usability for more crossover chiq) that’d be pretty great.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

cruft posted:

I tried it on the Tesla Model 3. It sticks, but it also hosed up the charge port cover, and now the motor won't open or close it.

Update, the charge port cover motor works fine now. I have no idea why it stopped for a few days. Maybe it needed a vacation.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Existence of ev carnival let alone release timeframe is quite dubious.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Autobest, "an organization & European auto jury which was established in 2000 in Bucharest, Romania by leading motoring writers coming from eight countries of Europe" now representing car magazines from 31 countries, ran a comparison test to test a couple of EVs on range, charging speed and stuff.

Very interesting numbers for the Volvo here.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Evil_Greven posted:

Wow I hadn’t looked at it but thanks for pointing that out, it is interesting! Surprised a manufacturer would be that conservative with their range estimates, and the charging time on 350kW especially is real good too.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Almost Smart posted:

Hope you didn't already sign the paperwork.

Ford cuts prices on electric Mustang Mach-E, following Tesla’s lead

quote:

DETROIT — Ford Motor is increasing production and cutting prices of its electric Mustang Mach-E crossover, weeks after industry leader Tesla
announced similar plans for its EVs.

The Detroit automaker said Monday it will lower pricing of the Mach-E, which is comparable to Tesla’s Model Y, by an average of about $4,500, depending on the model. The reductions range from $600 to $5,900, compared with Tesla’s price cuts of up to $13,000 on its Model Y earlier in January.

https://twitter.com/MikeWayland/status/1620052053224734721

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/01/30/ford-mustang-mach-e-price-cut.html

drhankmccoyphd
Jul 22, 2022

Zero One posted:

Nice that they cut the prices. Still too expensive for me especially if dealers are still doing markups. That being said I will watching used prices on '22, '23 models very closely.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
https://theevreport.com/travelcenters-of-america-and-electrify-america-partner-to-offer-electric-vehicle-charging-stations

Perpetually broken chargers coming soon to a truck stop near you! :newlol:

Seriously though, its good to see.

I live less than a mile from a TA truck stop. Which itself is only 6 miles from a proposed NEVI site. My area of the state is a charging desert, so it would be awesome to get 2 charging sites in the area!

For Indiana goons, the state government website has a document showing proposed NEVI sites here: https://www.in.gov/indot/current-programs/innovative-programs/electric-vehicle-charging-infrastructure-network/. Click Deployment Plan and Maps.

stevewm fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 30, 2023

Valicious
Aug 16, 2010
I’ve been watching news about the ID.BUZZ for a while now because I want an EV I can throw a mattress in for road trips and camping. I also need to fit an electric wheelchair (Whill CI) that breaks into three pieces as well. VW is going to be introducing the ID.CALIFURNIA (looks like a BUZZ but with pop-up roof, awning, camper stuff) in 2025, but that’s a heckuva long time to wait. Hopefully VW receives enough negative feedback about the capacitive controls that they change them.
I almost got an Ioniq 5. The mattress would’ve fit, but the wheelchair becomes an issue.

Has anybody been following the anode-free batteries from ONE? They were put in a Tesla and BMW to give them a 600+ mile range, and I think they’re going to be in they IX?

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/battery-startup-one-aims-slash-cell-cost-deliver-600-mile-range-2022-09-13/

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

I wish Porsche would announce the electric Boxter already...

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Valicious posted:

I’ve been watching news about the ID.BUZZ for a while now because I want an EV I can throw a mattress in for road trips and camping. I also need to fit an electric wheelchair (Whill CI) that breaks into three pieces as well. VW is going to be introducing the ID.CALIFURNIA (looks like a BUZZ but with pop-up roof, awning, camper stuff) in 2025, but that’s a heckuva long time to wait. Hopefully VW receives enough negative feedback about the capacitive controls that they change them.
I almost got an Ioniq 5. The mattress would’ve fit, but the wheelchair becomes an issue.

Has anybody been following the anode-free batteries from ONE? They were put in a Tesla and BMW to give them a 600+ mile range, and I think they’re going to be in they IX?

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/battery-startup-one-aims-slash-cell-cost-deliver-600-mile-range-2022-09-13/

My understanding is that VW has already decided to ditch the capacitive buttons on the steering wheel, not sure if that is already implemented in new cars, or coming at some future date. I think some capacitive stuff remains in the center console though. Also, my other concern is that the rear passenger windows don't roll down in the Buzz, at least in the Euro edition. I hope that changes as that might be a deal breaker for me.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Zero One posted:

A real pro move would be getting the extended range models under the $55k tax credit cutoff, since we've known all along the Mach-E isn't an SUV, and now the IRS agrees with that assertion.

It may not make economic sense to cut prices that far, but it kills any desire I have for one.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Evil_Greven posted:

What really stands out for me is how is the mustang getting such poor range comparatively with that gigantic battery pack? That seems off.

Llewellyn
Jul 26, 2010
Tesla in winter report: Tesla drove great in the snow, frameless windows are a terrible idea for the snow and burning 10% of your battery just to melt the ice enough to open your door is insane, Tesla didn't drive well in the snow when the heat pump broke for no discernible reason and it took a month to get Tesla to own up to having to replace it, but they flew out to Juneau, Alaska and rented out shop space to do it so that was nice. Overall, Probably the best EV to buy for Juneau, Alaska if for some stupid reason you don't want an EV with local dealer service.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Evil_Greven posted:

also MG4, similar or better range and efficiency than cars double or triple its price.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

I wish Porsche would announce the electric Boxter already...

This is far far away. Most resources are likely being spent on the EV Macan which is going to print them a gazillion funbucks.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

Zero One posted:

Bought the thing in full :/

It sounds like anyone who bought their vehicle after January 1 qualifies though, so we’ll see how that pans out.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Dang when Kia lost the federal rebate for the EV6 I was thinking I might have to wait until they get their U.S. factory producing them, but that mach-e reduction makes it kind of appealing now. Those were the only two we considered but the mach-e had dual memory seats gated behind the premium trim level.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

davebo posted:

Dang when Kia lost the federal rebate for the EV6 I was thinking I might have to wait until they get their U.S. factory producing them, but that mach-e reduction makes it kind of appealing now. Those were the only two we considered but the mach-e had dual memory seats gated behind the premium trim level.
FWIW it's generally pretty easy to add electronics from upper trims to lower trim Fords, as long as the appropriate harnesses are still there. Usually it either "just works" or requires nothing more than twiddling some bits in ForScan to enable. Not sure if that would apply to the memory seats but might be worth looking in to whether someone else has documented it yet.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Okay look, I'm one of the first people to say range is highly overrated (My 40 kWh Leaf has had zero issues with it, and it reliably gets 150-160 miles), but the MX-30 is criminal. A 100 mile EV, in 2023?! What bullshit is this?!

I even kind of like the look of it, but they aren't even trying. If it were half the price and trying to be that affordable 17-20k EV sure, the market could certainly use that, but for 35,000 dollars?!

lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Like a $5-8k 100 mile EV sounds reasonable. But anything over that cost for that range is laughable.