Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Got ya. I won't go overboard (heh) on anchor ropes.

So whats the reason for "boat length" of chain anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

The weight of the chain is what really holds your boat in place when you're anchored.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Also, the boat length is more of a really rough estimate of the absolute minimum, you can absolutely have more up to using entirely chain, although it's going to be a huge pain to lift a lot of chain without a good windlass, which I'm guessing you wouldn't have on a boat your size.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Yeah my rode is just all 3/8" chain but my boat weighs upwards of 20t

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
The traditional answer is that the anchor keeps the chain from moving and the chain is what really grabs the bottom, but I think this is more true for something like a ship. On a boat like we're talking about using a Danforth, the chain gives enough weight that the rope will be pulling it more horizontally even if it isn't touching the ground itself. A rope with no chain will pretty much point directly from the anchor to the boat with very little sag and will therefore have more upward pull trying to constantly dislodge it from the ground. A heavy chain will sag so more of the force goes sideways and digs the anchor in further. Also, whenever a wave comes by your boat needs to lift the whole chain before it tugs against the anchor so it also acts like a shock absorber keeping your anchor from getting yanked out.

sharkytm posted:

100' of rode is fine. Anyplace you want to stay is going to be shallow or you can drift. Just get a Danforth and enough chain. They work well enough in most bottom types and if you practice a few times, you can learn how to throw, set, and retrieve them.
Don't get me wrong, a Danforth is fine, I just prefer a box anchor.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Makes sense. I'll keep that in mind when looking at anchor poo poo.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The grand total of times I've been on the water in the great lakes since I could read is once so I can't really give good advice on an anchor there. Lack of tides and currents, in my mind, would really negate the need for an anchor unless it's a really windy day, or you're trying to hold position for fireworks on the waterfront or something

I'm stuck in the carolinas right now and was having a conversation with a guy and he was "the current really rips through there, almost two knots" and I'm used to SF bay where 4 knots is normal and you can see over six floating under the gg bridge

My anchor is 150' and I've got two 20' 10' sections of 5/8" stainless chain at the end but I'm not much of a cruiser setup

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01KW6JJ08/

Those used to be like $40 was kind of surprised to see they're $80

Anchor requirements for a 20' power boat are way different than a 30'+ sailboat. It is really nice to have even three feet of chain at the end because that's the part that gets 95% of the wear, and will chafe against rocks and logs and whatever

We're probably grossly overthinking your anchor situation, a 5# mushroom anchor is probably fine for 90% of all day excursions you'll do

I bought a 2kg (5#) lewmar anchor (smallest they make, slightly bigger than your hand) as an experiment it was fine in the silty mud of SF as a "lunch hook" but I wouldn't sleep overnight on it on my boat

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000N9ZJ7M

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jan 28, 2023

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Hadlock posted:

I'm stuck in the carolinas right now and was having a conversation with a guy and he was "the current really rips through there, almost two knots" and I'm used to SF bay where 4 knots is normal and you can see over six floating under the gg bridge

Down here in my part of FL we have an 8' tidal range on an average day. A bunch of the marinas won't let you in unless it's slack tide or nearly.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Hadlock posted:

The grand total of times I've been on the water in the great lakes since I could read is once so I can't really give good advice on an anchor there. Lack of tides and currents, in my mind, would really negate the need for an anchor unless it's a really windy day, or you're trying to hold position for fireworks on the waterfront or something

If you're hanging out in the middle of the lake (no one really does this) or something absolutely you're right. People tend to congregate around beaches though and it gets tight enough that 100% you need an anchor, just the wind will be enough to drift you into someone else.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
The flipside of this is at really crowded events like fireworks, you can't trust anyone else to anchor properly and you'd might as well just be ready to start the motor and move. Not much point in being the only boat not moving.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

enki42 posted:

If you're hanging out in the middle of the lake (no one really does this) or something absolutely you're right. People tend to congregate around beaches though and it gets tight enough that 100% you need an anchor, just the wind will be enough to drift you into someone else.

We anchor up on a boat-only-accessible beach, and you really need 2 anchors, one big one for the bow and a mushroom or something for the stern to keep you from swinging.

Cat Hatter posted:

The flipside of this is at really crowded events like fireworks, you can't trust anyone else to anchor properly and you'd might as well just be ready to start the motor and move. Not much point in being the only boat not moving.

Oh God yeah. An anchor is just another target for drunken idiots to run over and tangle up. We don't go out for those events, it's not worth it with how small our boat is.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

drat, Anchor chat up in this all because of lil old me!

Going out to the "middle" of the lake isn't quite what I was planning, probably ore like a few km off shore or something, and chilling out, reading a book, and/or listening to the radio.

There is a waiting list for slips at the two city owned marinas here so I'd be launching and landing. So gently caress stuff like going out on the water for fireworks or some poo poo like that.

Though I gotta admit this looks pretty fuckin sweet.

https://www.portstoronto.com/portstoronto/media-room/news/north-america%E2%80%99s-floating-movie-theatre-returns.aspx

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I can't deny that this tempted me:

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/d/napa-1962-west-coast-pearson-triton/7583619090.html

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

They cancelled that a while ago unfortunately :(

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

We do something similar with a portable projector, a sail, and a bunch of dinghies.

Watching Jaws in a tiny dinghy is fun!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Karma Comedian posted:

We do something similar with a portable projector, a sail, and a bunch of dinghies.

Watching Jaws in a tiny dinghy is fun!

They have the dinghy thing here now too.

Another thread brought up the subject of ethanol in gas.

IIRC ethanol + outboard/marine engines = bad was a thing for at least a while. Is uhhhh that still a thing?

I'm not worried about things like rubber hoses melting or whatever was happening to cars 20 odd years ago when they started putting ethanol in to gas and older cars were having issues with their older rubber lines, but anyone recall what the deal was with ethanol and marine engines in the recent past?

Was it just reduced fuel economy? Were they running worse? I can't imagine that the engine manufacturers (mercury in my case) haven't figured out a way to deal with this yet but maybe they haven't.

Is it one of those things that was true 10 years ago but isn't anymore but people swear its still true because it was at one point?

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jan 30, 2023

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Nobody knows how gasoline works, tripley so if you're also talking about ethanol. Ethanol is corrosive to some rubbers and plastics that aren't going to be found on a boat built since Bush was president. Unlike gasoline, ethanol will mix with water from the air and between the water and alcohol will corrode metals like your carburetor (if present) faster. Unless you have bigger problems, you probably won't have it absorb so much water that it drops out of solution and leaves you with corrosive alcohol/water and low octane gasoline* floating on top of it. Overall, it is better for a boat to use straight gasoline (E0) but E10 probably isn't really going to hurt anything on a modern boat. I use E10 on a Mercruiser from '96 and every year plan on running it on recreation gas with no alcohol in it so it can sit all winter, but then decide I can't be bothered to wrestle with fuel lines and just winterize it as-is.

Note that fuel stabilizer treats an unrelated phenomenon where gasoline can start turning into varnish after about a month. Sta-bil is cheap and I put it in at every fill up because I never know if I'm really going to go through that whole tank by the end of the year.

*Ethanol has a higher octane value than gasoline (E85 is like 105 octane or something) and is used to meet the number shown on the pump. Don't listen to some hillbilly telling you to mix it with water to extract the pure gasoline off the top. Also don't buy premium because "its better" or has less ethanol in it. It has the same amount of ethanol, you will get the same mileage, and the same horsepower. Buy whatever gas your owners manual says. E0 is better but not worth paying extortionist prices for. Oh poo poo, this note turned back into the main rant.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

Dyneema rope seems to be a good product for an anchor line.

Similar to how climbing has static and dynamic ropes, boating has lines you want to be stretchy and lines you don’t. Sheets and halyards and running rigging on sailboats want to be less stretchy. Dock lines and anchor rodes want to be stretchy so you’re not transferring all the load to the boat’s hardware, the line absorbs some.

Dyneema is very not stretchy. Nylon is a much better choice. Polyester is also fine but preferably in a 3-strand or plaited line rather than double braid.

4:1 is sort of the minimum ratio of length to depth for rode, and that’s assuming all chain for proper catenary. If you’re doing a composite rode then 7:1 is best, 5:1 can be fine in good conditions and/or for short periods of time.

Look at a chart of your area and see where you might want to anchor, both from a ‘this is a nice place to have lunch and swim’ standpoint and also a ‘if my poo poo breaks on the way back to the marina I may need to anchor here’ situation. ~20 feet of chain plus line to get you to 7:1 where you expect to want to anchor will probably be fine, you can always tie lines together for more length too, especially if you’re just hand hauling and not trying to run it through a windlass.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Hearing how lake people talk about anchoring vs. what I have to do in Puget Sound is just wild. (also the difference between small displacement motor boats and the sailboats I'm used to)

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Dyneema also doesn't have very good abrasion resistance.

Kenshin posted:

Hearing how lake people talk about anchoring vs. what I have to do in Puget Sound is just wild. (also the difference between small displacement motor boats and the sailboats I'm used to)

Seriously.

Side note, do you have the parrots aboard? (I can't go in the bird crazies thread and read about people's birds escaping or dying every week anymore)

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Karma Comedian posted:

Side note, do you have the parrots aboard? (I can't go in the bird crazies thread and read about people's birds escaping or dying every week anymore)
Nope, rehomed them--the Conure like 5 years ago, the Amazon just before I moved onto the boat last May.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Kenshin posted:

loving this.

In boating news, mom feels bad about my dad leaving me a boat in dire need of maintenance and wants to sponsor some of the upcoming costs :toot:

(so I'm getting a new anchor winch, and chain :v: )

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Kenshin posted:

What is wild about it? I'm new to this boat poo poo. I know the great lakes aren't oceans, but they're not the puddles that one finds throughout most of the rest of North America.

Big Taint posted:

Similar to how climbing has static and dynamic ropes, boating has lines you want to be stretchy and lines you don’t. Sheets and halyards and running rigging on sailboats want to be less stretchy. Dock lines and anchor rodes want to be stretchy so you’re not transferring all the load to the boat’s hardware, the line absorbs some.

Dyneema is very not stretchy. Nylon is a much better choice. Polyester is also fine but preferably in a 3-strand or plaited line rather than double braid.

4:1 is sort of the minimum ratio of length to depth for rode, and that’s assuming all chain for proper catenary. If you’re doing a composite rode then 7:1 is best, 5:1 can be fine in good conditions and/or for short periods of time.

Look at a chart of your area and see where you might want to anchor, both from a ‘this is a nice place to have lunch and swim’ standpoint and also a ‘if my poo poo breaks on the way back to the marina I may need to anchor here’ situation. ~20 feet of chain plus line to get you to 7:1 where you expect to want to anchor will probably be fine, you can always tie lines together for more length too, especially if you’re just hand hauling and not trying to run it through a windlass.

Knowledge here. I learned something and will make sure to remember this. Thanks fellow goon!!

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Kenshin posted:

Nope, rehomed them--the Conure like 5 years ago, the Amazon just before I moved onto the boat last May.

I've still got the Senegal aboard, and i inherited my grandfathers Grey so she's here too.

wesleywillis posted:

What is wild about it? I'm new to this boat poo poo. I know the great lakes aren't oceans, but they're not the puddles that one finds throughout most of the rest of North America.

In places with currents and tides your ground tackle is hugely important. People spend a bunch of time, money, thought, worry, and effort into effectively anchoring in a spot where the anchor will grab, the bottom will hold, and in such a way that the boat won't drag anchor and end up elsewhere. For us, hearing (for example - and no shade I'm sure the box anchor is great) "just toss this box in the water you don't even need chain" is a foreign concept.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Karma Comedian posted:

For us, hearing (for example - and no shade I'm sure the box anchor is great) "just toss this box in the water you don't even need chain" is a foreign concept.

Same. I worked on commercial boats in New England for over a decade, including a lot of anchor work. The only magic anchor I've seen is the fortress aluminum Danforths, just because they weigh a lot less than steel. We still use a ton of chain with them, and rarely used them commercially because they weren't durable enough. Recreationally, however, they're amazing. Plus they don't leave rust on your pulpit!

For anchor line: 8-plait nylon is really the best, followed by 3-stand nylon. You want stretch and abrasion resistance, as well as the ability to splice it. Fire hose makes for great chafing gear.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My boat came with an aluminum fortress xf-11 as the primary and it's been great. Almost too hard to get it out of the mud here in SF.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

Karma Comedian posted:

In places with currents and tides your ground tackle is hugely important. People spend a bunch of time, money, thought, worry, and effort into effectively anchoring in a spot where the anchor will grab, the bottom will hold, and in such a way that the boat won't drag anchor and end up elsewhere. For us, hearing (for example - and no shade I'm sure the box anchor is great) "just toss this box in the water you don't even need chain" is a foreign concept.

I did a four day sailing course on Lake Ontario last summer and the materials, final test, and on-the-lake work all had lots of stuff about anchors and anchor theory. Also, having anchored for a couple hours outside a popular local nude beach and watched countless incidents of sheer buffoonery from the rented yacht/motorboat crew there, I wish that sort of education was forced on everyone taking a boat out.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I did a four day sailing course on Lake Ontario last summer and the materials, final test, and on-the-lake work all had lots of stuff about anchors and anchor theory. Also, having anchored for a couple hours outside a popular local nude beach and watched countless incidents of sheer buffoonery from the rented yacht/motorboat crew there, I wish that sort of education was forced on everyone taking a boat out.

In California you now need a boater card to operate a motor boat (this includes a sailboat under power).

BoatUS has a free online course so it only costs the $10 through the state for the card... but with BoatUS, they force you to spend 24 seconds on every slide (regardless of how short the context) and there are periodic quizzes so at least you have to retain something. Maybe some of the in-person courses are easier to sleep through.

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Getting into ‘what anchor’ discussions is a classic way to melt down entire boating forums. I’ve never used one of those box anchors but for smaller boats they look effective in muddy/sandy bottoms. In SF Bay the bottom is mostly mud and danforths are the anchor du jour here. They are not as good on rockier bottoms and don’t like having their load direction changed, since they are relatively light for their surface area if the wind shifts 30 degrees you will bend it. Modern concave anchors are the best all around, they hold well on pretty much any bottom, set/reset easily, they just don’t stow quite as flat as a danforth. Manson makes one you can take apart to store but they are pricey.

Pretty much anything else is as effective as tying a line to a cinderblock.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Let me go on the record for saying gently caress Boater Cards. They were designed to prevent tourist deaths on rental power boats, and to get the drat thing signed they explicitly exempted tourists from them. That sailboats are tangled up in this bureaucratic mess is an outrage.

I've never seen a sailboat hassled by law enforcement though, so not worried about getting a "ticket" for not having one. The only way I'll ever get one is if the marinas start requiring them like they do with insurance.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Let me go on the record for saying gently caress Boater Cards. They were designed to prevent tourist deaths on rental power boats, and to get the drat thing signed they explicitly exempted tourists from them. That sailboats are tangled up in this bureaucratic mess is an outrage.

I've never seen a sailboat hassled by law enforcement though, so not worried about getting a "ticket" for not having one. The only way I'll ever get one is if the marinas start requiring them like they do with insurance.

I didn't know about the tourist exemption... fuckin top-shelf work there guys.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

I've got my boat license. From one of those places that said "don't pass? Don't pay!!!" Probably got it at the sportsman show in Toronto. I plan on taking *some* kind of legit boating safety type course because I'd really like to try and not be "that guy".

Re: anchor chat, Looks like I should get a few cinder blocks and some steel cable and troll some boat forums about my discovering that one weird trick that big anchor doesn't want you to know?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Big Taint posted:

Getting into ‘what anchor’ discussions is a classic way to melt down entire boating forums. I’ve never used one of those box anchors but for smaller boats they look effective in muddy/sandy bottoms. In SF Bay the bottom is mostly mud and danforths are the anchor du jour here. They are not as good on rockier bottoms and don’t like having their load direction changed, since they are relatively light for their surface area if the wind shifts 30 degrees you will bend it. Modern concave anchors are the best all around, they hold well on pretty much any bottom, set/reset easily, they just don’t stow quite as flat as a danforth. Manson makes one you can take apart to store but they are pricey.

Pretty much anything else is as effective as tying a line to a cinderblock.

I love my big dumb mantus anchor.

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

wesleywillis posted:

I've got my boat license. From one of those places that said "don't pass? Don't pay!!!" Probably got it at the sportsman show in Toronto. I plan on taking *some* kind of legit boating safety type course because I'd really like to try and not be "that guy".

Re: anchor chat, Looks like I should get a few cinder blocks and some steel cable and troll some boat forums about my discovering that one weird trick that big anchor doesn't want you to know?

I got my basic boating license through the Canadian Power and Sail Squadrons. Probably took five hours or so? Online modules with quizzes after each and then the PCOC exam right after. Then I did my small keelboat course through NauticEd, and my practical course through one of their affiliated schools in Port Credit. Honestly, even if you never want to sail, it's probably worth doing at least some sort of online or other learning if only to get better at navigation, right-of-way rules, lighting regs, tides/currents, etc.

Also practicing man overboard drills on a sailboat is good fun.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Karma Comedian posted:

I love my big dumb mantus anchor.

Yep, I've got a 25kg Rocna on 150' of 3/8s chain and another 100' of rode. Likely gonna upgrade to ~250' of chain before we set off for more remote spots, though. I'd like to get a slightly larger anchor as well, but apparently this is the largest Rocna that fits on my current hardware.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

CmdrSmirnoff posted:

Also practicing man overboard drills on a sailboat is good fun.

I definitely discovered how out of shape I was trying to haul my fat rear end over the transom of a little sailing dinghy.

Being fat did help a bit when I had to right the boat during the capsize drills, I had a much easier time of that than my 98'ish pound female sailing buddy.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I have a 7.5 kg Bruce anchor (16 lbs or something?) for a bit over 4 metric tons of boat, and no chain, which is good because I don't have an anchor winch and I have to pull it up by hand. Most people in an international context I think would consider this to be comically undersized. It works great for me, though - it almost always sets on the first try and I can't recall it ever actually letting go. There's actually a bigger one in the bottom of the lazarette but I've never ever used it. The thing that lets me get away with this is the fact that I never anchor unmoored like people do everywhere else in the world; I drop a stern anchor and moor bow against shore. This avoids the entire discussion about changing direction of pull and jerks on the rode and anchor resetting and whatnot (the tension on the rode is more or less constant and more or less from the same direction), plus it almost guarantees that the bottom slopes upwards towards the boat, which makes the direction of pull easier for the anchor. It's basically cheating.

I read an article about anchoring physics by the inventor of the Rocna anchor a couple of years back, and I found it to be pretty interesting - he basically argues that on small leisure craft the chain is providing almost none of the benefits it's usually credited with. If you have a given weight budget for anchor+chain, he says, you should put as much of it into the anchor as possible. He doesn't go as far as to claim the chain is entirely unnecessary, but says the main job of the chain is to prevent the bottom chafing at the rope part of the rode and to provide a little bit of dampening in very light weather. With the way I anchor though I don't have any use for either of those so a chain wouldn't really do anything for me at all. This way of doing things though is apparently quite rare outside of the Baltic Sea.

One of the reasons I think people get into holy wars about anchors is what someone else mentioned above - different types are good for different types of bottoms, and the local conditions vary wildly. I've had a great time with the Bruce here in the Stockholm area where I sail, and it's quite common here in general, but I've seen a lot of people on the west coast absolutely hating Bruce anchors. I suspect that might be because it sucks at hard sandy bottoms, which they have and we don't. So, if your boat didn't come with an anchor, take a walk around the marina and look at what the other locals have; they might be onto something that works there.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 30, 2023

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Things get pretty different once you move up to my range--I'm at 42' and have an unloaded weight of 22,000lbs (so likely closer to 24,000 or so).

In a calm anchorage with no wind and a slack tide, the weight of the chain pulls the boat to where the chain is more-or-less vertical, sitting on the bottom. In rougher weather and wind, I've got a large anchor bridle that provides additional shock-load protection, which protects my boat and helps tame the shock loads on the anchor. The weight of the chain itself though provides a lot of "spring" simply by hanging in an arch between the anchor and boat in all but the heaviest, craziest winds (which thankfully I've never experienced, we're talking sustained 40kn+)

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Karma Comedian posted:

I think the bigger difference is "small powerboat with no cabin" vs "sailboat or cabin cruiser" than lake vs ocean. Both wesleywillis's boat or a big Miami triple outboard center console boat probably aren't going to spend many nights out on the water and if it starts properly raining they're going to head in. Certainly before the 30ft waves that broke the Edmund Fitzgerald in half* start coming by. The only place either would be likely to drop anchor is at a beach or a fishing spot or whatever.

TheFluff posted:

One of the reasons I think people get into holy wars about anchors is what someone else mentioned above - different types are good for different types of bottoms, and the local conditions vary wildly. I've had a great time with the Bruce here in the Stockholm area where I sail, and it's quite common here in general, but I've seen a lot of people on the west coast absolutely hating Bruce anchors. I suspect that might be because it sucks at hard sandy bottoms, which they have and we don't. So, if your boat didn't come with an anchor, take a walk around the marina and look at what the other locals have; they might be onto something that works there.
This is a big part of it aside from the aforementioned "different boats are used differently" thing. Honestly, I thought I'd already be fighting with someone over my Ethanol Hot Takes, and was pleasantly surprised people were still arguing about how a 17ft fishing boat needs most of its payload capacity devoted to the anchor. The Tools thread used to do the same thing about how a 60 gallon air compressor was only barely usable, but they've chilled out about that a bit lately.

*Allegedly

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 31, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/boa/d/newport-beach-1978-pacific-seacraft/7580841967.html

Seems like a banging price on a very very solid boat that needs a lot of elbow grease? Whole boat is dirty as poo poo, the teak is sorta/kinda hosed but could potentially be rehabed, and it obviously needs a bottom scrub and paint. The engine looks like what I'd expect a 43 year old diesel to look? :shrug: