Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
morgana's fixation on ann at least ties into his outdated sense of chivalry and his general cat-ness. teddie's only got the one setting on his dial around everyone and it's exhausting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Oxxidation posted:

morgana's fixation on ann at least ties into his outdated sense of chivalry and his general cat-ness. teddie's only got the one setting on his dial around everyone and it's exhausting

Yeah, that's it exactly. Morgana is more like "Lady Ann, my queen!" (as in his perv/worship poo poo seems to only focus on one character so far; dunno if this changes) whereas Teddie is like "I want to get in the pants of every single female character including the small child."

Morgana makes me roll my eyes, Teddie actively grosses me out and annoys me.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Morgana also sucks because he's ashamed of being a cat when he should be proud of it.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

dracula vladdy AF posted:

having played Persona 4 more, this is going to sound stupid but I honestly think the game might be TOO anime for me. Persona 4 seems to want to just do every stereotypical anime trope it can think of and just play them out one after another. I'm not really a big anime fan in general (pretty much just the occasional JRPG really) and I don't think P5 or P3 ever got as excessive as this. I think it's a thing some people might really like about the whole game but for me it kind of falls flat.

Persona 4 takes a LOT of inspiration directly from part four of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, which might be why it feels so much more incredibly anime compared to 3 and 5.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Diamond is unbreakable is good though

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

kazil posted:

Elden Ring continues the long video game tradition of dragons being incredibly poo poo to fight

If you use sorcery every Dragon is just a nail waiting for the hammer named space laser.

:science:

ZeusCannon has a new favorite as of 03:59 on Jan 31, 2023

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I think I was wrong about my Hades complaint.

Real complaint, Warhammer Gladius only launches for me a quarter of the time and I have no idea what’s causing it.

moosecow333 has a new favorite as of 07:33 on Jan 31, 2023

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Picked up Spyro Reignited a while back based on memories of playing it at a friend's house as a kid.

I'm mostly enjoying it but man, I kinda hate just about everything associated with gliding. The number of times I've died to bottomless pits and drowning due to clipping a tiny piece of level geometry or only just barely missing a landing ledge outweighs all my other deaths by a landslide. Dunno how I'm gonna tackle these flying levels.

Other than that though I'm having a pretty great time. Never played either of the sequels (except 2 I guess exactly once at a sleepover) so I guess I'll see what that's about.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
the flying isn’t actually 1:1 with the PS1 versions, iirc the Reignited trilogy had a troubled development and it’s a small miracle the game mostly functions pretty well aside from that (since you get the hover move in 2/3 to make up the difference). Still a shame though, clearly a lot of love went into those remasters even if they don’t have perfect parity with the old versions.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
All told I really enjoyed the spyro trilogy. 3 brings that pixel clipping jank the worst imo, but the level design and art are fantastic and super nostalgic

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
I think the Spyro trilogy turned out a lot better than the Crash trilogy did at least. with Spyro there's only a small handful of moments where the feel of the game seemed off, whereas for Crash it just felt kind of screwy whenever you had to do any precise platforming. for me it really stuck out in Crash 2 but probably because I had played it the most as a kid

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Yeah Crash 2 remake is really bad. Something about they had to change the shape of his hitbox and a lot of the harder jumps became insanely difficult.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Bad Seafood posted:

Picked up Spyro Reignited a while back based on memories of playing it at a friend's house as a kid.

I'm mostly enjoying it but man, I kinda hate just about everything associated with gliding. The number of times I've died to bottomless pits and drowning due to clipping a tiny piece of level geometry or only just barely missing a landing ledge outweighs all my other deaths by a landslide. Dunno how I'm gonna tackle these flying levels.

Other than that though I'm having a pretty great time. Never played either of the sequels (except 2 I guess exactly once at a sleepover) so I guess I'll see what that's about.
If you're falling to your doom you can pause and exit the level. The flying levels in the remake are super frustrating, I remember getting them all as a kid and being completely shut down in the new ones. And I'm reasonably sure it's not just me.

Still, the remakes are beautiful and the first two are still a lot of fun. The best description I've heard is the remake looks like what you remember Sypro looking like if you played it as a kid, not what it actually looked like.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

kazil posted:

Yeah Crash 2 remake is really bad. Something about they had to change the shape of his hitbox and a lot of the harder jumps became insanely difficult.

that was only Crash 1. the other two expand your platforming options so they’re not nearly as unforgiving

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Started playing Slay the Spire recently, and two things:

1) God drat is an enemy winding up for a 24-30 dmg attack on, like, turn 1 or 2 some BS. Sometimes I draw into that "Gain 20/30 Defense + Exhaust" card on that turn, but not often. And blocking the ability to retain defense behind a rare, 3-cost (till upgraded) card is double BS.

2) I don't like that sometimes "confirm"/"I'm done with this now" is A, other times it's Y.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Bad Seafood posted:

Ive found that charging into a jump then gliding out of that has helped with the gliding in Spyro 1 a lot.

Some of those jumps are still very precise though, and with no flutter you can’t be too far off.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Mega Man 6

fuckin just eeeennnddd already christ not another plot twist with five more levels

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Playing Yakuza Like A Dragon some more, now on Chapter 12. Wowee is this a bad Yakuza game, probably the weakest one since Y3. The turn based fight system is completely unpolished. Like you can see they didn't crunch the numbers properly and then hastily put a giant GO GRIND SOME MORE AT THIS HERE DUNGEON sign at one point because the next boss fight is unlike anything the game threw at you before. And said dungeon is not even that, it's just a series of fights with no exploration involved.

I appreciate all the Dragon Quest influences in Y7 but this is like DQ6 unfortunately, the one where the job system resulted in there being so many random fights I never finished it because of all the mindless repetition. It also has the exact same problem as DQ6 where the characters are fun but the main plot just drifts in and out of focus and is really kinda dumb in general.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i'm like ten hours into xenoblade chronicles 2 and every system related to combat is entirely inscrutable

i just animation cancel the auto attack and occasionally use the power that pulls hp potions out of the enemys' buttholes or whatever

cool, i finally have a full party, it's super cool how the second character uses completely different systems than anything else *again*, tied to an arcade game for some reason

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I really enjoyed Xenoblade 2's gameplay by the end and would, in theory, be up for playing a standalone expansion with more stuff to do and places to explore.

But the thought of spending another 40 hours learning more how Jin is the coolest, strongest, most noblest and tragic guy to ever exist is so exhausting I don't think I'll ever play it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

DrBouvenstein posted:

1) God drat is an enemy winding up for a 24-30 dmg attack on, like, turn 1 or 2 some BS. Sometimes I draw into that "Gain 20/30 Defense + Exhaust" card on that turn, but not often. And blocking the ability to retain defense behind a rare, 3-cost (till upgraded) card is double BS.

Act 2 and 3 will paste you if you don't start building a proper deck. If you're regularly coming up short on block, that's a sign you're not drafting enough block (or drafting bad block cards but tbh I'm struggling to think of any). Or you need more card draw so you're more likely to get your big block cards in hand on the right turn(s). Weak is also a potent effect in those instances because it's a percentage damage debuff.

Potions also shouldn't be underrated; if you're walking into elite fights with an empty potion belt then expect trouble. But in fairness some normal hallway fights are also right bastards and may very well catch you with your pants down through no fault of your own.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

You want to cut as many of your basic blocks and strikes as soon as you can and replace them with fewer high block and damage theme cards. Of course you'll still get the occasional fights where you have ten cards, first turn the enemy doesn't attack and you draw all five high blocks, second turn he's about to paste you and then you draw all your damage cards lol

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

an underrated tactic is to draw the good cards when you want them. for this you need to select good cards, not bad ones.

so yeah purge strikes, don't be afraid to skip card picks, take cards in the context of your whole deck, look for card draw where possible, and learn enemy patterns by playing

great big lol at the "defense goes away each turn!!" thing though. also cannot think offhand of any ascension 0 enemies that have a 24hp turn one hit. Writhing Mass, maybe?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

an underrated tactic is to draw the good cards when you want them. for this you need to select good cards, not bad ones.

so yeah purge strikes, don't be afraid to skip card picks, take cards in the context of your whole deck, look for card draw where possible, and learn enemy patterns by playing

great big lol at the "defense goes away each turn!!" thing though. also cannot think offhand of any ascension 0 enemies that have a 24hp turn one hit. Writhing Mass, maybe?

I can only thing of Act 3 stuff unless they mean the elite's in Act 1 where possibly Gremlin can start with a high damage attack. However I think he always starts lower and inflicts vulnerable. IIRC enemy encounter movesets are set in stone which is why "can no longer see enemy intents" is technically a viable downside. So I think Gremlin must always start with his lower damage attack.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

EmmyOk posted:

I can only thing of Act 3 stuff unless they mean the elite's in Act 1 where possibly Gremlin can start with a high damage attack. However I think he always starts lower and inflicts vulnerable. IIRC enemy encounter movesets are set in stone which is why "can no longer see enemy intents" is technically a viable downside. So I think Gremlin must always start with his lower damage attack.

By default many enemies are strictly patternized, but others have RNG where they'll pick between one of two things. (And then a mix of the two where if they do X, they they're not allowed to do it again before doing Y or something similar.) Ascension levels 17-19 can change that - ie, Nob will always start with the vulnerable then follow it with the big clobber. ...Which technically means Runic Dome becomes more viable on higher difficulty rather than less because of the more consistent behavior, even if it is deadlier.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 01:45 on Feb 1, 2023

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

Many enemies are strictly patternized, but others have RNG where they'll pick between one of two things. (And then a mix of the two where if they do X, they they're not allowed to do it again before doing Y or something similar.) Ascension levels 17-19 can change that, but generally for the worse (ie, Nob will always start with the vulnerable then follow it with the big clobber). Though I think technically some enemies become more consistent as a result of it.

Cool! I know there is some excel online people use when they choose that relic. Compared to all the other extra energy relics it feels unbalanced. I don’t think I’ve ever chosen it. Having to use an external guide for a single relic feels lame to me. I’ve played a reasonable amount of StS but I’m nowhere close to memorising encounter patterns.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
There's actually a mod now that bakes all the info in so you can scope out what each enemy does in-game.

But yeah, I'm very much not a fan of Runic Dome. The intent system is so integral to the game that even if there's ways to play around its absence, I just don't want to.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

There's actually a mod now that bakes all the info in so you can scope out what each enemy does in-game.

But yeah, I'm very much not a fan of Runic Dome. The intent system is so integral to the game that even if there's ways to play around its absence, I just don't want to.

I exclusively play on my iPad usually during work calls lol.

I agree. It’s also just silly to have other options in the same class like card play limit or less pick up options. Which take some weighing depending on your current deck but are so much lighter than the dome.

dracula vladdy AF
May 6, 2011
more on persona 4, I just got a bad ending. not a big deal since I can just reload, but I never in a million years would have thought that's where the plot was going with the dialog choices I was picking. I looked it up and there's apparently seven different dialog choices you have to pick in sequence and if you don't get it right, the game just ends.

it's especially weird since the bad endings in 3 and 5 were really heavily and obviously telegraphed, this one not so much. not a huge problem but kinda annoying when I read what you're meant to do

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

dracula vladdy AF posted:

more on persona 4, I just got a bad ending. not a big deal since I can just reload, but I never in a million years would have thought that's where the plot was going with the dialog choices I was picking. I looked it up and there's apparently seven different dialog choices you have to pick in sequence and if you don't get it right, the game just ends.

it's especially weird since the bad endings in 3 and 5 were really heavily and obviously telegraphed, this one not so much. not a huge problem but kinda annoying when I read what you're meant to do

i got a bad end in p4g too and was just like whatever

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Which is the persona where you need to guess who the villain is and your only hint was a throw away line 40 hours earlier?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

moosecow333 posted:

Which is the persona where you need to guess who the villain is and your only hint was a throw away line 40 hours earlier?

I think that's 4.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Rockman Reserve posted:

i'm like ten hours into xenoblade chronicles 2 and every system related to combat is entirely inscrutable

i just animation cancel the auto attack and occasionally use the power that pulls hp potions out of the enemys' buttholes or whatever

cool, i finally have a full party, it's super cool how the second character uses completely different systems than anything else *again*, tied to an arcade game for some reason

The impression I get from XBC2 is that skipping it for XBC3 was a fantastic idea.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Control has a lot of fun and interesting details that flesh out the setting and help explain the way everything in the FBC works but after playing through the game multiple times I've come to the conclusion that one of these things just doesn't work: The Threshold Kids.

For anyone who hasn't played Control yet these are a bunch of video segments you can watch through out the game that show various clips from a puppet show intended to introduce children to how the bureau operates. They're really overtly creepy and weird in a way that I just don't think fits in with the more subtle style Control has in nearly every other aspect of it's design and presentation. It feels like they were made by a youtuber specifically to be a parody of "weird messed up kids show" stuff thats been really popular ever since stuff like the Five Nights at Freddy's games took off. You can find a note implying the series was made by an office worker at the FBC who only learned to make puppets in their spare time and probably did the whole things as a hobby so that kinds of accounts for the "badness" of them but I still just think they go wayyyy over the top. Even if they were made by an amateur that doesn't really justify why they would be *so* creepy. No one would ever look at a single episode of this show and think that it was remotely appropriate to show to any kid for any reason, especially not one you're trying to help feel more comfortable.

I get that I'm definitely way over thinking this fun little extra that they included just to have a bit more variety and humour in the collectibles and lore bits you can find around the game. I'm really only complaining because I love Control so much and I think it hits the nail on the head with literally every other aspect of its presentation that it makes this one thing stand out and annoy me even more. I seriously don't think I've ever played another game with such an impeccable atmosphere and vibes so I can't wait for the sequel.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Debunk This! posted:

I've come to the conclusion that one of these things just doesn't work: The Threshold Kids.

:mods:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

RareAcumen posted:

I think that's 4.

4 is far too blatantly obvious. 5 is more likely.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Leave posted:

4 is far too blatantly obvious. 5 is more likely.

I forgot that the gas station attendant even existed but I'm also notably dumb so maybe it was obvious

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Len posted:

I forgot that the gas station attendant even existed but I'm also notably dumb so maybe it was obvious

Don't worry, I'm also dumb.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Debunk This! posted:

Control has a lot of fun and interesting details that flesh out the setting and help explain the way everything in the FBC works but after playing through the game multiple times I've come to the conclusion that one of these things just doesn't work: The Threshold Kids.

For anyone who hasn't played Control yet these are a bunch of video segments you can watch through out the game that show various clips from a puppet show intended to introduce children to how the bureau operates. They're really overtly creepy and weird in a way that I just don't think fits in with the more subtle style Control has in nearly every other aspect of it's design and presentation. It feels like they were made by a youtuber specifically to be a parody of "weird messed up kids show" stuff thats been really popular ever since stuff like the Five Nights at Freddy's games took off. You can find a note implying the series was made by an office worker at the FBC who only learned to make puppets in their spare time and probably did the whole things as a hobby so that kinds of accounts for the "badness" of them but I still just think they go wayyyy over the top. Even if they were made by an amateur that doesn't really justify why they would be *so* creepy. No one would ever look at a single episode of this show and think that it was remotely appropriate to show to any kid for any reason, especially not one you're trying to help feel more comfortable.

I get that I'm definitely way over thinking this fun little extra that they included just to have a bit more variety and humour in the collectibles and lore bits you can find around the game. I'm really only complaining because I love Control so much and I think it hits the nail on the head with literally every other aspect of its presentation that it makes this one thing stand out and annoy me even more. I seriously don't think I've ever played another game with such an impeccable atmosphere and vibes so I can't wait for the sequel.

I thought they were specifically made for Dylan to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

CitizenKain posted:

The impression I get from XBC2 is that skipping it for XBC3 was a fantastic idea.

It’s honestly weirdly fun after a pretty bumpy start but most of the characters are garbage and the gameplay almost feels like a parody of overbaked jrpg mechanics