Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

for a man who was a hair's breath away from eating an air to air missile he's pretty ballsy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

hes the only world leader left thats remotely interesting

the man was doing a facebook live stream with a lovely potato phone denouncing the coup and threatening traitors while an f16 was tailing him

truly the realest guy of all time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

for a man who was a hair's breath away from eating an air to air missile he's pretty ballsy

I would like to nominate Erdogan as new chief of NATO.

He can stay president of Turkey. I'm sure it wouldn't add too much to his schedule.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

i wonder how many Important™ people wishing the pilot didn't pussy out are getting their just desserts rn lol

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

DancingShade posted:

This but the background is also clearly the beach of a tropical island.

give us nukes NOW, or i will TAKE your money right here

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the tratior gulen will be punished

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Look we will totally win in a war with russia as long as we dont get destroyed in nuclear hellfire

As long as the other side does not use weapons our side used in anger in a world war before, we'll be ok.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Our plan is foolproof so long as they don't fire back.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Palladium posted:

the very proudly french-australian made norinco ammo

lol wait really?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

just learned about how Zelensky loves to wear the Nazi tactical clothing brand lmfao

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

crepeface posted:

lol wait really?

not sure you are questioning my obvious sarcasm or that neolibs gonna neolib

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

death to invaders!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bullfrog posted:

death to invaders!

You'll need to narrow it down a bit. Which ones and how far back?

If you mean everyone on North America (Canada & USA both) need to leave unless they were a native American tribal then he'll yes, the chaos would be amazing.

Old blighty and Europe might get a bit crowded overnight but I think they'll figure it out after a bit.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Palladium posted:

not sure you are questioning my obvious sarcasm or that neolibs gonna neolib

idgi tbh

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol:

Arms Industry Circular: France-Australia Defence Cooperation posted:

France has recently suffered dramatic de-industrialisation. One domain that has escaped this diminution is military armaments production. French exports of military aircraft, etc., have exploded in recent years. Given that numerous purchasing countries have appalling human rights records, successive governments have come in for much criticism. Presumably the potential sale of submarines to Australia will escape this condemnation.

Thus, this specific affair will be of particular interest to a French President. The 12-submarine contract, presently estimated at over $50 billion, is a bonanza for France. But it has been politically driven in Australia, not least with the South Australian economy in mind.

One can reasonably predict that the problems that have arisen from day one will be multiplied indefinitely. Some critics think that the project in itself is a grand folly. What is certain is that the submarine contract is certain to dominate the Australia-France economic and diplomatic interchange for the near future.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Slavvy posted:

We need to figure out what f16-equivalent plane is owned in large numbers by other NATO countries, because the USA will promise 6 f16's in 2026 in order to shame whatever euro country into giving up most of their air force, which will then be replaced with f35's in 2030

the swedish air force should just give them gripens. probably better for ukraines actual needs than a f16 and then sweden can keep their aerospace industry going, since the gripen hasnt sold very well

maybe finland can give their f18s away for f35s

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Australia selling their state arms industry to France and then loving France over in their largest contract, which both countries need it seems, is hilarious. I'm really having a hard time coming to grips with that.

And then, don't the Australians not get shipyard jobs under the American contract? They're supposed to be built in US shipyards not Australian ones (and now we know why, their military yards were sold to the French firm) It's really incredible stuff.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 05:06 on Jan 31, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

OctaMurk posted:

the swedish air force should just give them gripens. probably better for ukraines actual needs than a f16 and then sweden can keep their aerospace industry going, since the gripen hasnt sold very well

maybe finland can give their f18s away for f35s

Sweden getting to keep their aerospace industry is the opposite of what NATO membership is supposed to accomplish

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Frosted Flake posted:

Australia selling their state arms industry to France and then loving France over in their largest contract, which both countries need it seems, is hilarious. I'm really having a hard time coming to grips with that.

And then, don't the Australians not get shipyard jobs under the American contract? They're supposed to be built in US shipyards not Australian ones (and now we know why, their military yards were sold to the French firm) It's really incredible stuff.

And then the reveal by the USA that they don't really have capacity to build Australia subs. Just beautiful.

The joke is that Australia will produce ammo by buying it from China.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

lol I know we've been talking about Neoliberalism eroding state capacity and now defence, but ... lol actually producing submarines could not have been anyone's goal here. From the Australian decision to privatize their arms industry, to the decision to sell it to a French firm, to the decision to gently caress over France, to the American pressure on Australia to do so despite not being able to produce submarines for them, to denying the lol French owned Australian shipyard the licence, all of these decisions pushed actual submarines delivered to the fleet further and further away.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Sweden getting to keep their aerospace industry is the opposite of what NATO membership is supposed to accomplish

fortunately for them they aint gonna be a part of hato anytime soon lol

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Frosted Flake posted:

lol I know we've been talking about Neoliberalism eroding state capacity and now defence, but ... lol actually producing submarines could not have been anyone's goal here. From the Australian decision to privatize their arms industry, to the decision to sell it to a French firm, to the decision to gently caress over France, to the American pressure on Australia to do so despite not being able to produce submarines for them, to denying the lol French owned Australian shipyard the licence, all of these decisions pushed actual submarines delivered to the fleet further and further away.

We are an immensely stupid country

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

Institutional rot. Assume nobody competent is in charge of anything and everything is first and foremost designed as a grift. Outcome other than personal enrichment is never a factor. Long term plans are undermined and torn apart on a political whim regardless of any widespread adverse outcomes.

Lucky country. It's lucky it still exists.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Australia's prime directives:

1. Pursue maximum racism
2. Become the USA of the southern hemisphere

The second one has to be enforced through leadership spills and strong arming, the first is fully embedded and happens automatically

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Endman posted:

We are an immensely stupid country

Don't forget immensely corrupt! And our politicians are remarkably cheap, if you're buying.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

australia should stop pretending it's a real country

canada too

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

yellowcar posted:

australia should stop pretending it's a real country

canada too

Only the politicians still pretend. Everyone else is well aware Australia is a vassal state where the rule is "do whatever the Americans want, quickly now".

Edit - you can really see this when whoever our latest prime minister is flies overseas to some conference and talks themselves up. All the other leaders politely try not to laugh at the slow kid from the handicap class who mistakenly believed their mother when she said "my boy is very special aren't you".

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 05:30 on Jan 31, 2023

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

DancingShade posted:

Only the politicians still pretend. Everyone else is well aware Australia is a vassal state where the rule is "do whatever the Americans want, quickly now".

Edit - you can really see this when whoever our latest prime minister is flies overseas to some conference and talks themselves up. All the other leaders politely try not to laugh at the slow kid from the handicap class who mistakenly believed their mother when she said "my boy is very special aren't you".

Now imagine being new zealand

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Slavvy posted:

no

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Slavvy posted:

i think when you're that small you can be comfortable in your weight bracket instead of trying to join the imperialism club

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Jazerus posted:

i think when you're that small you can be comfortable in your weight bracket instead of trying to join the imperialism club

New Zealand sent troops to Malaya, Vietnam and Afghanistan.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jazerus posted:

Is that why we keep voting in lockstep with the US every time the un decides to contrive some bullshit?

Like we are the Australian 'China is our biggest trading partner' video but even more so because we have literally nothing to gain from courting America

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Jazerus posted:

Frosted Flake posted:

New Zealand sent troops to Malaya, Vietnam and Afghanistan.

it's the NZ in ANZAC

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
*extremely superhero voice*

Do you think NZ in ANZAC stands for France???

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

FRANZAC

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

*aircraft carrier breaks down in the channel* MISS FIIIINE!!

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

If you read Mercenaries and Lyndon Johnson's "More Flags": The Hiring of Korean, Filipino and Thai Soldiers in the Vietnam War, it goes into Australia and New Zealand too but more interesting imo is the relentless pressure the US put on (West) Germany to send combat troops to Vietnam. It came within a hair too and apparently was only put off because the Soviets would doubtlessly react in some way, and also the French had used so many Germans in the FFL back in the Indochina War that it was considered impossible to win hearts and minds.

Same thing with Japan. America bullied them relentlessly, found loopholes to their neutrality clauses and only belatedly realized the Soviet reaction, and animosity of the Vietnamese, would cause more problems than Japanese troops solved.

In light of all of this the Coalition of the Willing raises an eyebrow, as the author argues that the US is not really capable or predisposed towards coalition warfare as such but alternates between threats and bribes to create the appearance of a coalition, totally subordinate to American objectives.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

also the French had used so many Germans in the FFL back in the Indochina War

whoopsies!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

If you read Mercenaries and Lyndon Johnson's "More Flags": The Hiring of Korean, Filipino and Thai Soldiers in the Vietnam War,

Marcos Sr went over Congress to send an AFP engineering detachment to Vietnam and kept them there until the Senate literally threatened to shut down all military funding over it

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Weka posted:

The joke is that Australia will produce ammo by buying it from China.

lol im gonna love the schrodinger china bad brainworms if that actually goes through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Frosted Flake posted:

lol yeah it owns, i didn't know that part of it