Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Chillgamesh posted:

Nothing more epic than being peer pressured by all your friends into leveling the class that stands next to half the party and casts two seven-second-long casts, then stands next to the other half of the party and casts two seven-second-long casts. Also this class is probably a sleeper competitor for the "most busted overpowered thing in an FF game" list

I mained BRD in ffxi for 3 years lol

Imagine carnage elegy in xiv. hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

There genuinely isn't one. Even within job systems White Mage has Holy if nothing else.

Even in FF1 they also had the Undead killing spells and access to Thor's Hammer. Because they're pulling from D&D Clerics who do the same shtick of "Buffs here and there, heals when necessary, otherwise hit them with a mace"

Augus posted:

if healers had to be healing 100% of the time there would have to be constant, dangerous levels of damage going out at all times, which means the game would be way too punishing, so the game doesn't require that. and healers need to have something to do when they're not healing which is why they also dps.

FFXI could have pure support because it was a much slower-paced game than XIV. you weren't pressing buttons every 2.5 seconds in XI and you weren't dancing around AOEs

And like someone said the 'pure support' class was just standing still casting long cast spells. It's not engaging or fun for the support player but it's NUMBERS enough that you gotta have at least one person doing it. Which as the sucker that often got stuck in that role, I'd much rather have effectively the same amount of support but I'm actually getting to play the game.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 31, 2023

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

if healers had to be healing 100% of the time there would have to be constant, dangerous levels of damage going out at all times, which means the game would be way too punishing, so the game doesn't require that. and healers need to have something to do when they're not healing which is why they also dps.

FFXI could have pure support because it was a much slower-paced game than XIV. you weren't pressing buttons every 2.5 seconds in XI and you weren't dancing around AOEs

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

hopeandjoy posted:

Shinryu Ultimate is going to be designed so that if you zoom out further than the in game camera is allowed, Zenos will be too dummy thicc and take up half your screen.

TBH a gigantic Zenos that doesn't render until the camera is far enough outside of the model (which just happens to be max camera distance from the edge of the map) would be a pretty good troll. Even if the modders would just make him invisible.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

aers posted:

ffxi had hard support roles if you want to teleport back in time and play that version of the game (i have no idea what its like now so i cant comment)
It's kind of gone the way of XIV, the top-end Bards and Corsairs are right up there with the melees dropping weaponskills at about the same rate in most of the older content. The new stuff has punishing enough AoEs that you can't get away with it, and you do have to consider that hitting the mob feeds it TP to use its stuff more often.

...that said, Geomancer also still exists and the only reason it's not tearing up everything is that almost all the important content designed in the last few years has "-50%/-75% geomancy strength" baked in to all its NMs and sometimes also the trash mobs.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Valentin posted:

who's the last pure healer in a non-job system ff? even Rosa has aim.

Most non-job system games have so much customization that no character is forced into any sort of role. The closest thing is Aerith in FF7 having only support limit breaks, and that Holy comes relatively late in the game for most White Mage types.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Ugh, I forgot that my partner won't be able to make a character on Excalibur.

Does waking up at 3-4am still work, or is there another workaround?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Red Metal posted:

Most non-job system games have so much customization that no character is forced into any sort of role. The closest thing is Aerith in FF7 having only support limit breaks, and that Holy comes relatively late in the game for most White Mage types.

I mean Aerith can equip every materia just like anyone else so there's no reason not to give her some black magic, it's not like white magic is really varied enough to take up all of her slots.

you know who was a pure white mage? Banon

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
If you want an MMO with support classes that purely support even to the detriment of actually being able to solo content, Lost Ark is right there. It has loads of other problems but supports in that game pretty much only do that and it's pretty much necessary for any reasonable group doing content. The neat thing is that for at least one of the support classes in that game (Bard), your healing and damage buff share the same resource so if your group is doing well in dodging damage, you can really amp up the damage of your group to blast through health bars.

Now, everything surrounding the pug atmosphere in that game is in dire straits and the difficulty curve of any given fight has absurd variance due to the gear scaling, but there's something there.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

just think of it as healing the boss, but in reverse

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Doomykins posted:

Time to show how few co-op healer games I actually have played in the last decade! I could think of Team Fortress 2 and Overwatch where you can be a very, very dedicated heal bot. Seriously, it's sublime how much a good Medic benefits from knowing when to draw his weapons but he can also ride a 90% or higher heal beam uptime and be a credit to his team. A lot of OW healbots are "DPS but they help sometimes" but they have pure healium injectors in Mercy and Anna at least, with Anna having a pretty good skill ceiling.

I came from WoW to FF14 so I habitually keep people topped off while playing healer, though at least I've gotten used to doing it with oGCDs but that's a good hit for the MMO genre where the healer needs to actively raise the bars constantly. Even casual WoW content lets a healer fill them bars.

To be a bit cheeky FF14 PVP can have some engaging heal botting but everybody is throttled to limited healing. And well, there's only so far being a green numbers hero can take you in Frontline or CC. I think Sage would be the most engaging for actual saves and target swaps but is primarily DPS, so... Astro, maybe? Probably the most active healing tools with HoT, Double after HoTing, Macro(time it, don't just let it auto-heal) and the card buffs. Probably the lowest cooldowns on active heals too.

Elden Ring doesn't lend itself to healbotting as a primary gameplay focus at first but you can definitely load yourself up as a support bot and get summoned to help folks as your primary gameplay focus once you get used to the game and geared out a bit, like I could imagine a feasible Big Support set-up by the halfway point.

Deep Rock Galactic can have more supporty fellows but no real dedicated healers. Same for the various Vermin or Darktides. At the end of the day I hear you on just wanting to play a Big Support and the medium mostly making it "DPS but you help people that aren't yourself occasionally."

Ah, Monster Hunter! Definitely room to be a buff bot that babysits everybody with aoe heals. Fun way to learn monster timings better too since you need to be aware when a wind up you're well out of the way of is about to plaster some other clown.

All that said... I like FF14 a lot but once I finally crack EW I need to try some harder content. "Remember to do your AoE Heal after this raid wide" once a minute isn't much of a pulse raiser for green classes. Most fun I have is when we're 50% Viewing Cutscene and I'm violently trying to pull us back from the brink of disaster.

Honestly, I genuinely do think TF2 Medic is a masterclass in how to design a really strong healer that's actually a healer. Everything I'd want is there.
-Healing is easy to do as a baseline but has a skill curve, it is something you can Get Good At
-There's other support objectives so that you can work on while everyone is healed up (overhealing, then Ubercharge)
-Extra tools that mostly aid that central support kit rather than push it back (the various needleguns/saws/the crossbow)
-Damage is respectable, but remains the fallback rather than the priority, and is also something you can Get Good At (needleguns/crossbow do respectable damage but the projectiles make them hard to land, melee is high-risk high-reward with his various saws)
-Has a payoff mechanic that doesn't just make you feel like a badass, but pushes your normally back-line kinda thankless job right into center-stage (Ubercharge, again)
-While only really a factor in PvP games, it's quite good that he doesn't have a mechanic that just hits the reset button on his opponents' hard work (Mercy's Revive ultimate back at OW's launch was miserable)

And while sort of an extra, I also like that his aesthetic isn't a typical Video Game Healer. You look at him and you know he's obviously a healer, yeah, but he's not carrying the sort of aesthetic you recognize from... well, white mages and the like. It's actually why when I played Overwatch, I didn't go for Mercy. I like healing, but I don't want to play the angel, the nature spirit, or the cleric.

I play AST in FFXIV because I think it does a lot of this stuff the best out of the options available, I think the card system is fantastic, but it does reach that 'there's no more support you can do, just start swinging' point WAY earlier than I'd like.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Honestly, I genuinely do think TF2 Medic is a masterclass in how to design a really strong healer that's actually a healer. Everything I'd want is there.
-Healing is easy to do as a baseline but has a skill curve, it is something you can Get Good At
-There's other support objectives so that you can work on while everyone is healed up (overhealing, then Ubercharge)
-Extra tools that mostly aid that central support kit rather than push it back (the various needleguns/saws/the crossbow)
-Damage is respectable, but remains the fallback rather than the priority, and is also something you can Get Good At (needleguns/crossbow do respectable damage but the projectiles make them hard to land, melee is high-risk high-reward with his various saws)
-Has a payoff mechanic that doesn't just make you feel like a badass, but pushes your normally back-line kinda thankless job right into center-stage (Ubercharge, again)
-While only really a factor in PvP games, it's quite good that he doesn't have a mechanic that just hits the reset button on his opponents' hard work (Mercy's Revive ultimate back at OW's launch was miserable)

And while sort of an extra, I also like that his aesthetic isn't a typical Video Game Healer. You look at him and you know he's obviously a healer, yeah, but he's not carrying the sort of aesthetic you recognize from... well, white mages and the like. It's actually why when I played Overwatch, I didn't go for Mercy. I like healing, but I don't want to play the angel, the nature spirit, or the cleric.

I play AST in FFXIV because I think it does a lot of this stuff the best out of the options available, I think the card system is fantastic, but it does reach that 'there's no more support you can do, just start swinging' point WAY earlier than I'd like.

Every single one of these points is true about every FF healer class....in content that requires you to be good at your class instead of "Is LIving Human? Can Clear." content. And the reason that isn't true in that content isn't because tanks have a lot of self sustain, which again, was your actual argument people were making fun of.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

tf2 is a pvp first-person shooter, cleretic

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Deviant posted:

Ugh, I forgot that my partner won't be able to make a character on Excalibur.

Does waking up at 3-4am still work, or is there another workaround?

The server's status is currently Congested, which is a long term status that will not allow new characters to be made.

I don't know if they allow transfers or not.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Cleretic I honestly think you might just want to start looking into trying Extreme/Savage

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MechaX posted:

Cleretic I honestly think you might just want to start looking into trying Extreme/Savage

This entire situation feels a bit like the dril tweet about candles but in reverse

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

There's not feeling better in this game then perfectly timing a holos to cover a raidwide, the tankbusters AND the bleed from those in a savage fight. It's support euphoria.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 31, 2023

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Runa posted:

This entire situation feels a bit like the dril tweet about candles but in reverse
someone please help me, my party is never dying

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The server's status is currently Congested, which is a long term status that will not allow new characters to be made.

I don't know if they allow transfers or not.

well then i guess i'm making a field trip to ultros

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i don't specifically want dungeons to be harder but i would like more difficult small group content because very few of my friends are playing consistently anymore. criterion is great for that reason plus i get a return to deep dungeon soon so that's nice. it feels like ShB had nothing of the sort.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

There's not feeling better in this game then perfectly timing a holos to cover a raidwide, the tankbusters AND the bleed from those in a savage fight. It's support euphoria.

Ngl, a part of me really likes healing because, even if I don't really do Savage content or something like that, even little things like timing a Shield to a tankbuster and seeing that stuff do no damage, or even carrying players on your back after a death and into the fight again, are truly cathartic experiences (even if some roulette runs are like herding cats).

I usually play as a DPS to just do my rotation and not be perceived otherwise, but one day I will give Healing more of a serious effort.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Macrocosmos letting you just completely undo a raidwide is so satisfying

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
No-selling P3S's Death's Toll with Macro is such a mood.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I want a class to be TF2's scout, thanks

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

There is likely a Gunbreaker glamour that will satisfy the TF2 scout whim. It even comes with a (spiked) club.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I use Warrior in dungeons so my healer friends can have fun killing poo poo

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Looking forward to Yoship spending the first 30 minutes of the next live letter lecturing us like a disappointed dad about third party tools again

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

No-selling P3S's Death's Toll with Macro is such a mood.

Meanwhile on the otherside of that mechanic, it was so good to give everyone 2 HP Bars worth of shield on sage.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Waffleman_ posted:

Perpetual PBS brain

:hmmyes:

If you weren't watching Carmen Sandiego it was a childhood wasted

Tainen posted:

Looking forward to Yoship spending the first 30 minutes of the next live letter lecturing us like a disappointed dad about third party tools again

It's the worst part

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 31, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

MechaX posted:

You assume I didn't.

This thing was the consolation prize for the least fun I've had in the entire game.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i am very glad that you are not being catered to in this games content balance cleretic. i think the game you want would be very bad indeed

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
also it was like X pages ago but i liked the person responding to the zoom out mod and going on about how it sucks act is required lol. yeah just gonna install the zoom out hack on act real quick

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

:hmmyes:

If you weren't watching Carmen Sandiego it was a childhood wasted

Also I have been cursed with the Zoom theme song in my brain for like 25 years.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Farg posted:

i am very glad that you are not being catered to in this games content balance cleretic. i think the game you want would be very bad indeed

They just need to implement Solipsism Mode, where all your party members consistently look like they're playing worse than they are, so everyone gets to leave an unremarkable dungeon run feeling like the big hero who carried a bunch of idiots

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Cleretic posted:

You assume I didn't.

This thing was the consolation prize for the least fun I've had in the entire game.

Was it unfun because of who you grouped with or something about the fight itself? I just did Emerald Weapon EX a few weeks ago and thought it was really fun but I play with a bunch of good eggs that sorta stumbled into becoming an actual static a year ago. A particular highlight was when I came up on-the-spot with the mnemonic "place the arrow like you're building a house on the ground" that instantly helped our healer grok the mechanic. Thinking up dumbass mnemonics is the best part of hard content, honestly.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

They just need to implement Solipsism Mode, where all your party members consistently look like they're playing worse than they are, so everyone gets to leave an unremarkable dungeon run feeling like the big hero who carried a bunch of idiots

Why bother, you already get authentic bad playing from random groups.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Pigbuster posted:

Was it unfun because of who you grouped with or something about the fight itself? I just did Emerald Weapon EX a few weeks ago and thought it was really fun but I play with a bunch of good eggs that sorta stumbled into becoming an actual static a year ago. A particular highlight was when I came up on-the-spot with the mnemonic "place the arrow like you're building a house on the ground" that instantly helped our healer grok the mechanic. Thinking up dumbass mnemonics is the best part of hard content, honestly.

It was the fight, I can assure you. I actually joined in on a static a few friends of mine were in at the time because I wanted the orchestrion roll; I felt miserable for constantly dying and letting those friends down, and thanks to lag the firing-squad mechanic was so impossible for me to dodge in the way everyone else was teaching me to that I had to devise an entirely new method from scratch.

That static didn't let me in more than that once (I don't blame them, the person I was filling in for was only gone that once, and I was dragging down both the mood and the parse), so I had to rely on various party finder teams to get any wins, although I did get enough eventually to put together that rapier (the best-looking Emerald weapon for any of the jobs I was playing at the time; AST's is kinda meh). I only got that orchestrion roll as a pity gift.

I cleared Ruby and Diamond EX later to get the G-Warrior card. Both of them were better, in part because they had Echo buffs going, but neither was fun.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jan 31, 2023

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Yeah I want 4 man content that is not braindead because I play with small groups. The new criterion dungeon stuff is really cool in that way and I want to see more.

Also I'm feeling stupid here setting up ACT and all guides say "find (77) FFXIV+Others overlay plugin and install" and I don't see that on the plugin list...?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cleretic posted:

It was the fight, I can assure you. I actually joined in on a static a few friends of mine were in at the time because I wanted the orchestrion roll; I felt miserable for constantly dying and letting those friends down, and thanks to lag the firing-squad mechanic was so impossible for me to dodge in the way everyone else was teaching me to that I had to devise an entirely new method from scratch.

That static didn't let me in more than that once (I don't blame them, the person I was filling in for was only gone that once, and I was dragging down both the mood and the parse), so I had to rely on various party finder teams to get any wins, although I did get enough eventually to put together that rapier (the best-looking Emerald weapon for any of the jobs I was playing at the time; AST's is kinda meh). I only got that orchestrion roll as a pity gift.

I cleared Ruby and Diamond EX later to get the G-Warrior card. Both of them were better, in part because they had Echo buffs going, but neither was fun.

I mean, either you need to get in earlier when everybody is learning the fights and dying and so nobody is letting anyone else down, or you need to learn that dying isn't actually letting people down if they're inviting you in to learn. A clear is a clear and nobody is ever perfect their first time, that feeling of frustration sucks but in turn it means that you care and are trying hard and that's all anyone can ask for.

As far as lag I got nothing, you either need Uncle Alexander or to be on a server with a better connection for you. Parse groups aren't where you want to be first timing content, if that's what they actually were doing, and if they weren't the parse doesn't matter.

SuperKlaus posted:

Yeah I want 4 man content that is not braindead because I play with small groups. The new criterion dungeon stuff is really cool in that way and I want to see more.

Also I'm feeling stupid here setting up ACT and all guides say "find (77) FFXIV+Others overlay plugin and install" and I don't see that on the plugin list...?

You need to go online and download a separate set of overlay plugins to then add/run from ACT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

SuperKlaus posted:

Download (86) Overlay Plugin instead, if it's listed there. It appears to be the same thing, based on the screenshots in the guide I'm looking at.