Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

captkirk posted:

Computer toucher here, half my job is yelling at computers to make myself feel better.

Seriously. When I still went into work, my coworkers told me one time that they could judge how productive I was being by how much swearing was coming out of my cube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Hood vent over a grill failed, chef didn't want to stop grilling burgers, dining hall filled with smoke, fire alarm went off, management went around saying "DON'T evacuate," fire department dropped by to say hello.

I feel like I've read Wikipedia entries where this kind of thing turns out badly.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Soonmot posted:

It can't grab stuff, the customers would have to load that up on the robot which they wont.won't.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4Q2L23qrRrk37Nyr4eHdqG?si=oLqyxoKfRy69Bdoq09g9AA&utm_source=copy-link

Just did an episode about upcoming tech stuff and specifically mention restaurant robots.
Ymmv, in my experience customers love stacking plates and things even when you don't want them to. I think putting the stack on the robot would be nbd and preferable to a table covered with empty glasses, dirty plates, etc. Again the robot definitely can't do everything, but imo there are a couple of tasks it should be able to do well.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Animal-Mother posted:

Hood vent over a grill failed, chef didn't want to stop grilling burgers, dining hall filled with smoke, fire alarm went off, management went around saying "DON'T evacuate," fire department dropped by to say hello.

I feel like I've read Wikipedia entries where this kind of thing turns out badly.

Oof. Not a restaurant, but we just had our fire alarm go off last week.The Bosses won't get our damned HVAC fixed, so the store was cold as gently caress. In their infinite wisdom they fired up the portable diesel heater. It backfired, spat out some smoke, alarm went off, firetruck shows up.

I don't know how much $$$, but we're looking at a nice fine for that, I hear. Fire departments don't like coming out for poo poo like that, apparently, and will bill you.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Do you guys not have gas interlock?

Where are you that that's legal?

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

COPE 27 posted:

Do you guys not have gas interlock?

Where are you that that's legal?

Erm, no idea about what a gas interlock is, sorry! It's kinda like this thing:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dyna-Glo-Delux-650-000-BTU-Forced-Air-Kerosene-Heater/3773519

I don't see any measurements in that listing, but ours is squatter and about 2 feet in diameter. Boss put some traffic cones in front of it to keep customers from getting too close, because it is insanely hot. So hot that our traffic cones developed a lovely char and started melting within about 10 minutes.

At least this coincided nicely with us having a winery giving out samples (and sneaking whole cups to our staff). We could blame any drunk goofiness on the diesel/well-done traffic cone fumes.

(Oh, Virginia, btw. No idea how legal, but something tells me OSHA would not be pleased.)

Edit: sorry for the derail, guys. But now I have an idea for making a GWS post about cooking with this thing. Start simple, like toasting marshmallows or hot dogs on sticks. Industrial-themed pu pu platter. Hmm...

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 11, 2023

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Basically where I work if the exhaust goes down all the equipment turns off, and you 100% will not get occupancy if that isn't installed.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I hope y'all are hungry for some more too numerous to count!

https://www.fda.gov/inspections-compliance-enforcement-and-criminal-investigations/warning-letters/dollar-tree-inc-629509-11082022

quote:

During the inspection, FDA collected filth samples from various areas within your warehouse facility, and the analytical results revealed rodent excreta pellets, multi-stage beetles (adult and larvae), fecal material that contained cat/dog hairs, and insects including flies and moths present throughout your facility. Additionally, FDA collected samples from your Florida Gold brand 2-lb bags of rice and performed a filth analysis which revealed various species of insects at larval, pupae and adult stages present in the sample.

quote:

Investigators observed apparent rodent excreta pellets (too numerous to count) on and inside processing equipment in building (b)(4); along the perimeter walls of buildings (b)(4) and building (b)(4); and between pallets of repacked bagged rice, totes of bulk rice, on empty cardboard boxes, on boxes with packaging material in buildings (b)(4) and building (b)(4); and on bags to be used as finished product packaging that are fabricated and labeled by the firm for use by other companies.

quote:

In building (b)(4), investigators observed at least five (5) live rodents throughout the processing and storage areas. [...] Investigators also observed an apparent newborn rodent lying in between 50-lb bags of jasmine rice at the southern end of building (b)(4).

quote:

Additionally, cockroaches were observed in building (b)(4) on and around soiled pots and pans containing food residue in the employee shower room at the southern end of the building.

quote:

i. In building (b)(4), investigators observed four (4) or more live cats in the northern end of the building and apparent cat feces and urine throughout the warehouse.
ii. In building (b)(4), investigators observed one (1) rodent carcass near the packaging equipment on the eastern side of the building.
iii. Investigators observed a cat running from building (b)(4) with a rodent in its mouth.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

"Additionally, cockroaches were observed in building (b)(4) on and around soiled pots and pans containing food residue in the employee shower room at the southern end of the building."

Pots and pans containing food residue... in the... employee shower room. I re-read that about 5 times; I'm not having a stroke, am I? I got that right?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

"Additionally, cockroaches were observed in building (b)(4) on and around soiled pots and pans containing food residue in the employee shower room at the southern end of the building."

Pots and pans containing food residue... in the... employee shower room. I re-read that about 5 times; I'm not having a stroke, am I? I got that right?

Yes, you read that correctly.

I had to double check, too.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I'm hoping for another round of "oh yeah, no, that's totally typical"

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

JacquelineDempsey posted:

When the sink is full, you have a perfectly good bath tub to put the ditry dishes in

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Just do the dishes while you shower. Both you and the dish are covered in spaghetti sauce.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15puo-dSEIY&ab_channel=adadand

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Bon Ami is a great deep pore cleanser.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZTRpYrnaF/

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
cross post from retail thread who referred me to you folks, would love to get some insight from actual counter service workers:

i have a question about tipping in america!!!

everybody who isn't a prick knows that, if you go out to eat and a server comes to your table, takes your order, and brings the food over to you, the proper thing to do is to tip 20% of the bill. even here in california, where there is no separate minimum wage for tipped employees, it is hard enough to live here on regular minimum wage, so i always tip 20%. i tip in cash when possible so the server can just pocket it. there is no immediate benefit to me for doing this, though. it's just what you do unless you're an rear end in a top hat. hopefully they will remember me as a decent tipper on my next visit. but if i never plan to visit again, a rationalist dickhead might argue that i lose nothing by not tipping (except that the server will probably chase me into the parking lot and scream at me). i already received all the service i am going to receive. it's not like, if i feel generous and tip 50%, i will get a better hamburger. i already ate the hamburger.

this is different in some situations though, like at a bar. you are supposed to tip the bartender a dollar or two per drink. but if i tip $10 on my first drink, the bartender is gonna remember me, and i'll get my next drink quickly, probably with a heavy pour. so i can benefit here by tipping more.

how does this apply to tipping at counter service joints? increasingly in recent years, the credit card machine will solicit a tip between 15% and 25%. there is usually a "no tip" button, but the interface seems designed to encourage tipping and make you feel like a jerk if you don't. historically there was no expectation of tipping in these situations, so i bet lots of people hit "no tip". this is kind of like the bar though, in that i am tipping the employee who just took my order, before i receive the food. if i hit the 20% button, is she gonna pick extra big chicken tendies for me? or if i hit "no tip", will i get a dirty look and bad service? do the employees care about this? i have no idea where the tip money even goes, and it would feel weird to just hand the employee a couple bucks cash. what is the etiquette here in 2023?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

A recent article in the New York Times revealed that ServSafe is run by the National Restaurant Association (public info, but not something everyone knew), and that the money paid into it goes directly into NRA's lobbying budget to do things like oppose minimum wage increases and unionization (this part's new). That means your servsafe fees have gone toward making your life worse- a setup that is so ruthlessly exploitative I've not ever heard of it in any other industry.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/17/us/politics/restaurant-workers-wages-lobbying.html

NRA was the actual source of state laws requiring "food handler cards". NRA purchased/reincorporated ServSafe into the organization and pushed for those laws specifically to increase their revenues. A discussion elsewhere made me realize a lot of folks aren't aware there are alternative cert programs available; in most California counties, for example, any of the companies on this list can provide food handler certs:
https://anabpd.ansi.org/Accreditation/credentialing/certificate-issuers/AllDirectoryListing?prgID=228,238&statusID=4

afaict ServSafe doesn't have a monopoly on certs anywhere, but definitely triple check what's actually approved in your state/county/city before you shell out.

edit: Personal idiot consumer anecdote: if there's a tip option at a counter serve place, I just tip 20% anyway.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 19, 2023

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

edit: Personal idiot consumer anecdote: if there's a tip option at a counter serve place, I just tip 20% anyway.

this is what i have been doing, but i wonder whether that "tip" is just going into the pockets of the owner.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

DELETE CASCADE posted:

how does this apply to tipping at counter service joints? increasingly in recent years, the credit card machine will solicit a tip between 15% and 25%. there is usually a "no tip" button, but the interface seems designed to encourage tipping and make you feel like a jerk if you don't. historically there was no expectation of tipping in these situations, so i bet lots of people hit "no tip". this is kind of like the bar though, in that i am tipping the employee who just took my order, before i receive the food. if i hit the 20% button, is she gonna pick extra big chicken tendies for me? or if i hit "no tip", will i get a dirty look and bad service? do the employees care about this? i have no idea where the tip money even goes, and it would feel weird to just hand the employee a couple bucks cash. what is the etiquette here in 2023?

Tipping for counter service is increasingly common, between the COL going up and wages not increasing to match, a massive increase in counter service vs. table service due to COVID, etc. I generally just hit 20% on the POS terminal. Ultimately, it costs me a few bucks, but the cumulative amount to employees can be a noticeable difference.

- It's unlikely the employee is even aware of who is tipping in the moment. Once you sign and approve the charge, the screen generally asks for a receipt preference and then goes back to the starting screen for the next order. As a result:

- No, you are unlikely to get extra large chicken tenders, generally speaking the folks taking your order/processing your payment aren't making your food, and there is no easy way to communicate a tip when they're working at speed. I think twice I've gotten a freebie item that was clearly made in error for another customer - but it was a side, think fries that can't be returned to the bin for food safety reasons.

- What should happen with that money is that it's pooled in some way and distributed among employees eligible to receive tips. There's a list of criteria as determined by the US Department of Labor, if you're curious. In reality, who knows. I hope restaurants are going the right thing and making sure that money gets to the right people.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DELETE CASCADE posted:

cross post from retail thread who referred me to you folks, would love to get some insight from actual counter service workers:

i have a question about tipping in america!!!

everybody who isn't a prick knows that, if you go out to eat and a server comes to your table, takes your order, and brings the food over to you, the proper thing to do is to tip 20% of the bill. even here in california, where there is no separate minimum wage for tipped employees, it is hard enough to live here on regular minimum wage, so i always tip 20%. i tip in cash when possible so the server can just pocket it. there is no immediate benefit to me for doing this, though. it's just what you do unless you're an rear end in a top hat. hopefully they will remember me as a decent tipper on my next visit. but if i never plan to visit again, a rationalist dickhead might argue that i lose nothing by not tipping (except that the server will probably chase me into the parking lot and scream at me). i already received all the service i am going to receive. it's not like, if i feel generous and tip 50%, i will get a better hamburger. i already ate the hamburger.

this is different in some situations though, like at a bar. you are supposed to tip the bartender a dollar or two per drink. but if i tip $10 on my first drink, the bartender is gonna remember me, and i'll get my next drink quickly, probably with a heavy pour. so i can benefit here by tipping more.

You should tip on counter service, but it's incredibly unlikely that it will affect anything about portion size or promptness of service. If something goes wrong with your order and you tipped well the server will likely feel a little worse and might go an extra mile to make things right. But stuff like giving you a larger piece of chicken or quicker than usual service is going to depend a lot more on just being a regular that is pleasant to interact with.

Oh, and don't call them "tendies." If I was working the counter, whatever you tipped, I would be making fun of you to all of my coworkers the moment you left.

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Discendo Vox posted:

Investigators observed a cat running from building (b)(4) with a rodent in its mouth

Hey, now look, honestly it sounds like the problem is solving itself. Can you cut me some slack here?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Hey, now look, honestly it sounds like the problem is solving itself. Can you cut me some slack here?

What we'll do to deal with the cat infestation is introduce a pack of wild dogs...

DELETE CASCADE posted:

this is what i have been doing, but i wonder whether that "tip" is just going into the pockets of the owner.

I think specific laws on how this works vary by jurisdiction but management/owners usually are barred from it (presuming they follow the law, which is uncertain).

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

One of my bosses likes to ask "Would you be ServSafe certified?" in the same tone preachers say "Would you be saved (by Jesus)?"

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

If anyone is in NYC looking to get the hell out of the industry, I just got out of my probation period in the NYC Parks dept and I can say whole heartedly that it is the best thing I did instead of continuing working those soul crushing 12 hour shifts as a chef. Right now the parks department is doing an insane hiring spree, but because of the way promotions work, they can't add new staff for certain positions (Associate City Park Workers, crew chiefs etc). So they need people to go through from the bottom City Park Worker position and are waiving the probation period as long as you preform well (so within say 3 months of working and and having the city pay for your CDL licensing) you can get bumped up. It's full time with healthcare, union representation, and pension. You need a driver's licence and highschool diploma fyi. Look for CPW full time position posting on the NYC.gov or NYCparks websites. Every Fridays is new posting.

ughhhh fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jan 25, 2023

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

aaaaannnnnd OUT of the industry! I will dearly miss front of house meetings where all blondes with dark eyes on staff are warned away from table ten because a certain diner had a bad horoscope the night before a reservation and immediately called the maître de. I will miss the gossip, one of my favorites being "if she looks happy or seems nice today she isn't, she just got her eyebrows done" and my dishwasher Lil Yall who created so many weird moments. I will miss dessert plates with "Happy 60th birthday" written in pastry frosting being sent back uneaten to the kitchen with the number wiped off and the offending napkin sitting there like a conspirator in a vain effort to wind back the clock on life. I guess I won't miss composting? I actually liked this career alot.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

parthenocarpy posted:

aaaaannnnnd OUT of the industry! I will dearly miss front of house meetings where all blondes with dark eyes on staff are warned away from table ten because a certain diner had a bad horoscope the night before a reservation and immediately called the maître de. I will miss the gossip, one of my favorites being "if she looks happy or seems nice today she isn't, she just got her eyebrows done" and my dishwasher Lil Yall who created so many weird moments. I will miss dessert plates with "Happy 60th birthday" written in pastry frosting being sent back uneaten to the kitchen with the number wiped off and the offending napkin sitting there like a conspirator in a vain effort to wind back the clock on life. I guess I won't miss composting? I actually liked this career alot.

It's worth noting that absolutely every single one of the things you mentioned have to do with the people you work with. Restaurants are right up there for "the worst jobs have the best coworkers", and I have extremely similar feelings about the construction jobs I've had in the past. Congrats on getting out and good luck with the new gig! Good luck not accidentally dropping f bombs in front of new colleagues.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I’ve seen counter service tips taken by owners, it’s I guess its legal or a gray area, don’t know.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Remulak posted:

I’ve seen counter service tips taken by owners, it’s I guess its legal or a gray area, don’t know.

It's absolutely illegal. However wage theft is larger than all other forms of theft in America combined and is very, very poorly enforced.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

If I steal a thousand from my boss I go to jail. If he steals a thousand from me it's an oopsie doodle.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The General posted:

If I steal a thousand from my boss I go to jail. If he steals a thousand from me it's an oopsie doodle.

I think "3 strikes you're out" laws (convicted of a third felony you go to jail for life, regardless of what the felony was, I think most states have gotten rid of those laws thankfully) are horrible, but should exist for wage theft.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Skwirl posted:

I think "3 strikes you're out" laws (convicted of a third felony you go to jail for life, regardless of what the felony was, I think most states have gotten rid of those laws thankfully) are horrible, but should exist for wage theft.

Applebees v78 is dead; long live Applebees v79

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Skwirl posted:

It owns so hard that american moral reasoning is based on the dumbest sport

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Cricket is way dumber than baseball.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

That's why criminals in the UK get 50 tries before they go to jail

COPE 27 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 2, 2023

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

COPE 27 posted:

It owns so hard that american moral reasoning is based on the dumbest sport

Baseball nerds are easily the smartest, and most insufferable, fans in existence. Youll be like "yeah hit the homerun" and thrn some white guy in khaki shorts will spend 30 minutes explaining how actually bc they had 3 hits in inning 1 and the shortstop errored a line drive that the best thing the batter can do is bunt and you have to stop yourself from strangling them

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Bunting is always wrong, you'd be well within your rights to strangle that person.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
My kitchen basically has six different departments. Bakery, salads, entrees, that type of thing. One department, the generic American breakfast and lunch garbage, has more full-time cooks than anybody else. They've got five guys while everybody else has usually two (or one, if anybody calls in sick). Despite this, they insist that they need extra help. But whenever somebody goes over there, it's only a matter of time before they get driven away. They undermine them, they don't explain anything to them, or they just get into some kind of interpersonal conflict. These are all middle-aged people. We would have some younger people, but the last few cooks under the age of 40 that we tried to hire got run out by these guys. They gently caress you over and then they go to the boss, "Oh, this person is causing all these problems." The managers seem primarily to be afraid of keeping a "problem employee" after their six month probation because after that, it gets difficult to fire people. Job security, how terrible.

I'm not sure if she's past the six month mark yet, but their latest victim happens to be the only black woman in the crew. (These are all old Mexican guys) She went home really early yesterday and didn't come back today and the rumor is that management is siding with those guys.

Things improved on the student employee side of things, but for full-timers we're still short-handed. If one or two people are out sick, which is happening all the time now, we should have enough slack that it isn't a crisis, but I guess keeping labor costs low is more of a priority than, you know, having enough people to cook the food. And now I think they're going to run this woman off.

"Why are you still there?"

Better pay than anything else in the industry as far as I can tell, PTO, healthcare, etc. Just venting. I don't know why people in their 50's and 60's want to behave like they're still 12.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Animal-Mother posted:

I don't know why people in their 50's and 60's want to behave like they're still 12.

I have a dude who's somewhere around 60 and is one of the more problematic staff I've had. He apparently went on like two dates with one of our support staff over the course of two weeks like 8 months ago, she said she wasn't interested in anything further, and he won't let it the gently caress go. I pulled him into my office a while back to talk him down because he was freaking out about nothing and after 20 minutes of trying to figure out what the gently caress his issue was he comes at me with "she won't say good morning to me! You need to tell her she has to say good morning to me!"

...no. hard no, my dude. grow the gently caress up, you're near twice my age. you went on a few dates and she said she wasn't interested anymore, the time to let it go was the day after that poo poo happened.

Some people just can't help themselves I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
One of the most problematic employees I’ve ever had was a dude in his sixties that thought he know everything and would do stupid poo poo like eat off the slicer right in front of customers.

He ended up getting fired for stealing cash out of the safe to buy heroin, but that was after I left.