Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I'm playing an evil NCR character to see content I haven't seen before. When I went with Boone to wipe out the Great Khans, I shot their two leaders but the quest wasn't marked as complete. I realized that I had to kill them all, so I looked around Red Rock Canyon shooting generic Khans with my rifle. I shot a Khan with a name I didn't recognize and a "Quest Failed" text showed up and I had a visceral reaction, "Oh God, what have I done?" I love the way that 20% of the enemies in New Vegas are still fleshed-out characters with their own lives, and I hope the next Fallout game coming out in 2028 or whatever can have more of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol if any smaller franchises hoovered up by Microsoft will still be active in 2028 after that round of layoffs.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Arc Hammer posted:

In the words of Arcade Gannon paraphrasing Socrates: go fornicate yourself.
https://twitter.com/ZacharyLevi/status/1619599266607169539

Well, the example provides regarding the DoJ settlement's a good example of Pfizer's monstrous behavior. Say, who is this he's agreeing with, anyw-

oh.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

In the words of Arcade Gannon paraphrasing Socrates: go fornicate yourself.
https://twitter.com/ZacharyLevi/status/1619599266607169539

Who the gently caress are these people and why should I care

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gaius Marius posted:

Zachary Levi voiced Arcade in New Vegas. As for caring I ain't gonna try and make you do anything.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I would be unhappy if Dave Foley or William Sadler turned out to be infected with brain worms because Yes Man and Victor were my buddies

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

dave foley of news radio fame was in new vegas??

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

KoRMaK posted:

dave foley of news radio fame was in new vegas??

Yeah, he's Yes Man, and he's my favourite. I think the best serious voice actor is Kris Kristofferson as Chief Hanlon, but Yes man is the funniest comic relief in the game.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

hooooly poo poo i thought yes man had a extraordinary calming effect for me that I couldn't quite place

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

yes man was a perfect character. he's always there to support you no matter what stupid decision you make

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

does this game have a coop mod yet? i saw danielsl playing something that looked like a new vegas mmo mod or something

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
New Vegas has got a ridiculously stacked cast when you look at the IMDB page. Loads of TV and film actors and a large selection of voice actor standbys.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Gaius Marius posted:

I Could (Not) Make You Care

Arc Hammer posted:

New Vegas has got a ridiculously stacked cast when you look at the IMDB page. Loads of TV and film actors and a large selection of voice actor standbys.
It's nuts. René Auberjonois, Dave Foley, Kris Kristofferson, all not only in the same game but all their characters hate each other

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

KoRMaK posted:

does this game have a coop mod yet? i saw danielsl playing something that looked like a new vegas mmo mod or something

There's one called NV:MP. From what I've seen on YouTube it seems playable but I have no idea what it's like to actually use.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Dang I forgot Victor was the demon knight

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I watched the Wire years after playing this game and it was a big lmao going "Holy sht, of courae Caesar is a police"

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

hawowanlawow posted:

Dang I forgot Victor was the demon knight

He was Death in Bill and Teds Bogus Journey too

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Chamale posted:

Yeah, he's Yes Man, and he's my favourite. I think the best serious voice actor is Kris Kristofferson as Chief Hanlon, but Yes man is the funniest comic relief in the game.

Kris loving Kristofferson was in New Vegas?

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Skwirl posted:

Chief Hanlon at Camp Golf

Every time I play I exhaust every line of his dialogue

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Buschmaki posted:

I watched the Wire years after playing this game and it was a big lmao going "Holy sht, of courae Caesar is a police"

There's an episode of Deep Space Nine where he shows up as well.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Skwirl posted:

spoilers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKIKU460DzI&t=527s

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

It makes me wonder how budget they had for all those voice actors. Music rights, too. A lot of the quests are named after songs that aren't in the game, probably because Sinatra and Elvis were too expensive to license.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Dunno about Sinatra but Elvis songs are ludicrously expensive to license. Dean Martin was the king of Vegas anyway so at least they got him

But yeah I forget how stacked the voice cast was. No wonder they could only afford like two guys to do every single other NPC lol

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

DaysBefore posted:

Dunno about Sinatra but Elvis songs are ludicrously expensive to license. Dean Martin was the king of Vegas anyway so at least they got him

But yeah I forget how stacked the voice cast was. No wonder they could only afford like two guys to do every single other NPC lol

I recently replayed Fallout 3 and after that, I welcome the variety of voices for New Vegas with open arms.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
About Elvis's songs:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

hey sun and RCA need to get paid for all the work they did writing those songs

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Should have hired an Elvis Impersonator to sing a legally district Elvis-like parody song.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Should have hired an Elvis Impersonator to sing a legally district Elvis-like parody song.

Have James Horan sing them. Badly. Very Badly.
No one says a word. He's The King, after all.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

madeintaipei posted:

Have James Horan sing them. Badly. Very Badly.
No one says a word. He's The King, after all.

The wiki says that they were originally going to have The King sing Love Me Tender in a quest where the player marries their companion, but even the performance rights to an Elvis song would have been too much.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Should have gotten Weird Al to do a parody song.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Chamale posted:

It makes me wonder how budget they had for all those voice actors. Music rights, too. A lot of the quests are named after songs that aren't in the game, probably because Sinatra and Elvis were too expensive to license.
Jason Bergman really did some wheeling and dealing budget magic for the voice talent we got. At one point, IIRC, there was this kind of weird avalanche of actors, friends of friends, who were like, "Aw you're doing it? I'll do it to!"

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
After watching a video series about Baywatch, it always amuses me that Gregory Alan Williams does so many additional voices. He does a really good job too, especially the more gruff and evil characters.

New Vegas's celebrity voices feel really well integrated into the game, rather than gimmicky stunt casting.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

OldMemes posted:

New Vegas's celebrity voices feel really well integrated into the game, rather than gimmicky stunt casting.

imo Felicia Day always stuck out a little to me, but I think it's because she sounds like she's using a totally different mic to everyone else? I can't really explain it.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Nobody Interesting posted:

imo Felicia Day always stuck out a little to me, but I think it's because she sounds like she's using a totally different mic to everyone else? I can't really explain it.

IMO, even for the wacky post apocalyptic setting, everyone's pretty grounded, and then Felicia Day walks up to you on a bridge and is like "where da dresses at???? btw, I"m a member of a secret organization that everyone considers to be terrorists."

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Janissary Hop posted:

IMO, even for the wacky post apocalyptic setting, everyone's pretty grounded, and then Felicia Day walks up to you on a bridge and is like "where da dresses at???? btw, I"m a member of a secret organization that everyone considers to be terrorists."

Yeah but her attitude is a cover for the work she does as well as a coping mechanism for what Elijah has put her through.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Anyone have an idiots guide to modding new vegas on a steam deck?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

RandolphCarter posted:

There's a still active NV modding thread that might be able to help: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376713

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

dr_rat posted:

There's a still active NV modding thread that might be able to help: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3376713

Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

RandolphCarter posted:

I haven't modded on the Steam Deck but I do exclusively play games on Linux. imo the best thing to do would be to go into desktop mode and grab a tool called SteamTinkerLaunch - https://github.com/sonic2kk/steamtinkerlaunch/releases/

The easiest way to install it is by using ProtonUp-Qt which downloads the latest version of STL (and also custom Proton versions) and puts it in the right place for you.

Restart Steam once it's been downloaded + installed, and then right click FNV in Steam and go to the Compatibility tab. Tick the box, select STL.

What STL will do is handle the MO2 integration for you. It'll let you use the "download with manager" links on Nexus and all that good stuff. Once you've got your mods installed, I would imagine that FNV will work okay in game mode. With STL set up, you can go ahead and follow Viva New Vegas

One of the main reasons I was hired for my last job was because I talked at length about modding FNV on Linux. Feel free to bug me with any Qs.