Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

speng31b
May 8, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

I think it’s entirely possible that Russia announced they wanted to mobilize 300,000, they then announced they mobilized about 300,000, and that the actual number was also about 300,000. That’s why I wondered whether Ardennes just thinks Russia was using deception or a different reason they missed the stated number by 50,000.

they might have only done 300k and the extra 50 are trained bears

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

speng31b posted:

you ever see 50,000 bears on unicycles rolling across the plains?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

V. Illych L. posted:

look it had lots of game-theoretical calculations and things which i cannot remember nor retrace, but the upshot was that this capacity is seen as beneficial somehow (majorian might be able to elaborate) - the reduced distance for nuclear weapons stationed in eastern ukraine would've been a major concern for russia as well. it might've been because it's a game of potential cost management, so if you can realise a proportion of cost very quickly it changes the calculation in your favour, but this is me mostly guessing.

it doesn't really matter whether this is actually realistic - it matters whether the people in charge of NATO and russia think that it's realistic.

If you look of it from the standpoint of leverage it makes sense, that you would to force your opponent to spread out and have to defend more and more of its critical infrastructure from a potential strike. Your probably not going to actually do it, but your opponent has to act like you will because there is so much on the line. Eastern Ukraine would allow the US to not only hit Moscow but Elgin and other infrastructure far more easily, while Finland would allow them to hit Murmansk/St.Petersburg more easily.

The Russians couldn't wait until the Ukrainians started to be more seriously armed by the West that a decapitation wouldn't have been possible but obviously they greatly misjudged what was occurring and needed a far larger force.

As far as Finland, Erdogan knows how much the US wants it because they need it as a key portion of leverage on the Russians and he is milking it for all that its worth. He is just making it more and more costs/difficult to get it because there is a laundry list of things he wants (probably everything from F-35s to loans to re-election etc etc).

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

speng31b posted:

did you know that there was a bear that used to serve with the Polish army

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Ardennes posted:

If you look of it from the standpoint of leverage it makes sense, that you would to force your opponent to spread out and have to defend more and more of its critical infrastructure from a potential strike. Your probably not going to actually do it, but your opponent has to act like you will because there is so much on the line. Eastern Ukraine would allow the US to not only hit Moscow but Elgin and other infrastructure far more easily, while Finland would allow them to hit Murmansk/St.Petersburg more easily.

The Russians couldn't wait until the Ukrainians started to be more seriously armed by the West that a decapitation wouldn't have been possible but obviously they greatly misjudged what was occurring and needed a far larger force.

As far as Finland, Erdogan knows how much the US wants it because they need it as a key portion of leverage on the Russians and he is milking it for all that its worth. He is just making it more and more costs/difficult to get it because there is a laundry list of things he wants (probably everything from F-35s to loans to re-election etc etc).

right, the americans really do want finland whereas sweden's a much lower priority - so where erdogan can bar sweden for as long as he pleases and the americans aren't going to do much of anything about it, it's reasonable to assume that incentives will be put into place to encourage turkey to let finland in.

for a few years in my youth i was heavily involved in the ICAN campaign for nuclear disarmament. at that time i thought i understood a lot of the nuclear strategy stuff, but i evidently either didn't, or i've forgotten more than i would've expected

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

gradenko_2000 posted:

did you know that there was a bear that used to serve with the Polish army

polish bears don’t count

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

V. Illych L. posted:

look it had lots of game-theoretical calculations and things which i cannot remember nor retrace, but the upshot was that this capacity is seen as beneficial somehow (majorian might be able to elaborate) - the reduced distance for nuclear weapons stationed in eastern ukraine would've been a major concern for russia as well. it might've been because it's a game of potential cost management, so if you can realise a proportion of cost very quickly it changes the calculation in your favour, but this is me mostly guessing.

it doesn't really matter whether this is actually realistic - it matters whether the people in charge of NATO and russia think that it's realistic.

i'm sure that a bunch of overpaid failkids have spent countless hours coming up with justifications for why the us has to station weapons in every single corner of the world, but looking at this at face value its still stupid as poo poo if you think about it even medium hard

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

V. Illych L. posted:

right, the americans really do want finland whereas sweden's a much lower priority - so where erdogan can bar sweden for as long as he pleases and the americans aren't going to do much of anything about it, it's reasonable to assume that incentives will be put into place to encourage turkey to let finland in.

finlands folding
https://twitter.com/trtworldnow/status/1620293296634331136

swedens making GBS threads
https://twitter.com/mhmtslmz/status/1620157243256897538

will sanna learn shahadah? maybe ☝️

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

V. Illych L. posted:

for a few years in my youth i was heavily involved in the ICAN campaign for nuclear disarmament. at that time i thought i understood a lot of the nuclear strategy stuff, but i evidently either didn't, or i've forgotten more than i would've expected

Well, it is yes and no as far as the US goes, since there is plenty of tension between Ankara and Washington at the moment. The F-35 was also blocked in the beginning because Turkey bought S-400 systems and they don't want data from the interaction of the two making it to Moscow. Also, you have the issue of Greece now getting F-35s on top of that.

On the other hand, Erdogan is keeping the game going by still floating Finland out there and it makes sense he would want to keep that leverage at least until the election. That said, I wouldn't put it past Erdogan to keep doing a "one more thing..."

So on one hand, I wouldn't say there isn't a path for Finland, on the other hand, there is every incentive for Erdogan just to keep on milking it.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Ardennes posted:

Admittedly, I think the first wave of mobilization was above 300,000 (around 350,000) in total.

As far as a second mobilization wave, there also been claims every few weeks of it happening. It doesn't mean it couldn't happen but again there were clear signs of something happening before the first wave was announced. I would say the issue at that point is equipping and adquately supplying potentially an army of 600-700,000 troops most of them reservists.

the refusal of Russia to conscript against an enemy that seeks to put a rifle in the hand of every citizen is going to cost them the war in the long run

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/Suriyakmaps/status/1620357122583314432?s=20&t=1vN1MWBu51lTStHjpuqjIQ

Looks like both western and northern supply routes into Bakhmut will be cut around the same time. It won't be an encirclement, so Ukrainian forces should still be able to withdraw.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

re: the nuclear poo poo, yesterday there was an interesting article in one of the major swedish newspapers. paywalled, so i couldn’t read it but the subheader read something like

“A nuclear attack on a major city might lead to localized disaster - however,…

:shepicide:

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
nuclear winter is a myth, so its safe to wage nuclear war now

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/Suriyakmaps/status/1620357122583314432?s=20&t=1vN1MWBu51lTStHjpuqjIQ

Looks like both western and northern supply routes into Bakhmut will be cut around the same time. It won't be an encirclement, so Ukrainian forces should still be able to withdraw.

well, in part at least - with no roads and active artillery bombarment it's not going to be fun to try to extract munitions, any remaining heavy equipment or casualties. they basically can't use trucks in that case, and it's not obvious that they have enough tracked vehicles to extract all the guys they've got in the city

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

OctaMurk posted:

nuclear winter is a myth, so its safe to wage nuclear war now

lol the one goon in the Doomsday Econ thread that keeps saying nuclear war is fake

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

it's definitely fake. only volcanoes are capable of changing the climate.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Ardennes posted:

Well, it is yes and no as far as the US goes, since there is plenty of tension between Ankara and Washington at the moment. The F-35 was also blocked in the beginning because Turkey bought S-400 systems and they don't want data from the interaction of the two making it to Moscow. Also, you have the issue of Greece now getting F-35s on top of that.

On the other hand, Erdogan is keeping the game going by still floating Finland out there and it makes sense he would want to keep that leverage at least until the election. That said, I wouldn't put it past Erdogan to keep doing a "one more thing..."

So on one hand, I wouldn't say there isn't a path for Finland, on the other hand, there is every incentive for Erdogan just to keep on milking it.

my perspective on the swedish affair is that it's much simpler than most commentators want it to be: sweden promised turkey some extraditions which they haven't been willing or able to deliver. so, no NATO membership for them. this doesn't apply so much to finland.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Finland + Türkiyeah enjoy Ugric kinship

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

lol the one goon in the Doomsday Econ thread that keeps saying nuclear war is fake

Relevant tangent? He does that in multiple threads

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the refusal of Russia to conscript against an enemy that seeks to put a rifle in the hand of every citizen is going to cost them the war in the long run

Kiev may be willing to do so theoretically but it is clear they are having to take more and more drastic steps to keep conscripts coming in. There seems to be complaints on the Ukrainian side that not enough is being done.

Also to be honest (and it has come up before) but a lot of Ukrainian men are already in some type of government service, are abroad, or just not suitable to fight. In addition, there are many others that see simply keeping their heads down or living unregistered somewhere.

We will see about Russian mobilization versus Ukrainian mobilization but I don’t think the Ukrainian side is infinite (and honestly push comes to shove the raw Russian pool is probably 5-6x times larger at this point).

Also, I don’t see pensioners, children, and moms being much use in combat tbh.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

This war will never end, thus Russia cannot win it.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lol

https://twitter.com/andersostlund/status/1620419874026840076?l
https://twitter.com/andersostlund/status/1620422692783673344

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

theres a really awesome statue in austria dedicated to all the men in the army who deserted when the nazis took over lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

holy poo poo what a take

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Donrf posted:

Found yesterday on Zhytomyr, today Vinnitsa. It is safe to say - they are forming 20 Rifle Battalions. Meat for the next Soledar. Wagner will haul away in KAMAZs.
(from t.me/donrf22/14061, via tgsa)

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Danann posted:

it can't be possible that euros are racist no it must be the work of russians

lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

idk if these were posted, from Russia ministry of something yesterday

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
the whole point of joining NATO together with sweden or not at all was the implicit strategic necessity of a land supply route through sweden in the event of a war with russia. this is so stupid i am actually beyond words to describe this. so we are simply planning on aggravating russia for lulz i guess. strategic pinecone thinking

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

I think it’s entirely possible that Russia announced they wanted to mobilize 300,000, they then announced they mobilized about 300,000, and that the actual number was also about 300,000. That’s why I wondered whether Ardennes just thinks Russia was using deception or a different reason they missed the stated number by 50,000.

Idk, seems like a very normal thing to happen. How would you land on exactly 300k if you database is kind of lacking and a bunch of people just remembered urgent business in Georgia? And if you end up picking up a few more, why not keep them if you kind find them a pair of regulatory socks?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mlmp08 posted:

drat dude thats so interesting, tell me more

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

holy poo poo what a take

This is all Austria-Hungary's fault for creating Ukrainians though.

I'm slowly turning into Farrakhan but about Maria Theresa, the Partition of Poland and liturgical languages instead of Yakub.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

genericnick posted:

Idk, seems like a very normal thing to happen. How would you land on exactly 300k if you database is kind of lacking and a bunch of people just remembered urgent business in Georgia? And if you end up picking up a few more, why not keep them if you kind find them a pair of regulatory socks?

Missing your mark by +50,000 people or 17% would be very piss poor accounting and management. An overage of a percent or something, whatever. Or muster 130 people to ship 100 who qualify, sure. But straight accidentally recruiting and sending to war 17% more, unfunded and undesired by leadership? That would be incompetent.

In any case, was wondering where Ardennes got the number, since it runs counter to the Russian government’s statements. Russia’s claim is that they can count pretty well.

plus, would be dishonest to your citizens to mislead them on mobilized soldiers. Putin has been careful on mobilization goals and forcible conscription political blowback.

mlmp08 has issued a correction as of 15:45 on Jan 31, 2023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

AnimeIsTrash posted:

drat dude thats so interesting, tell me more

Will do.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

This is all Austria-Hungary's fault for creating Ukrainians though.

I'm slowly turning into Farrakhan but about Maria Theresa, the Partition of Poland and liturgical languages instead of Yakub.

if only Austria-Hungary didn't split into Austria and Hungary, there wouldn't be an Austria to start WWII :hmmyes:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think we should say envelopment instead of encirclement as the latter is prone to many arguments

speng31b
May 8, 2010

lollontee posted:

the whole point of joining NATO together with sweden or not at all was the implicit strategic necessity of a land supply route through sweden in the event of a war with russia. this is so stupid i am actually beyond words to describe this. so we are simply planning on aggravating russia for lulz i guess. strategic pinecone thinking

russia must be humiliated and defeated. honestly what are they going to do about it. well? what will they do?

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

lollontee posted:

Why do you even need to join NATO if you're in the EU? You're already in a defensive pact, I genuinely don't get it

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Just keep sending barely trained recruits with a rifle and two magazines of ammo, that will surely stop the russians

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mlmp08 posted:

Will do.

waiting for this

bump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

AnimeIsTrash posted:

waiting for this

bump

Okay, I’ll post later when I’m not outside. but it will probably just point out that I think Russians can count and Ardennes didn’t provide any evidence that they lied to their people and/or accidentally recruit 50k extras.