Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

pumpinglemma posted:

I think literally no-one itt is saying that. Someone brought in a comparison to the luddites and then people started pointing out that for the duration of their own lifetimes the luddites were right. (To be clear, I agree this was due in large part to poo poo like the enclosure acts rather than the technology itself, but our current governments are hilariously evil and corrupt as well so that's not a great counter-argument from the viewpoint of AI.)

Epic High Five posted:

An assault rifle is just a tool, too. Same with bombs and rat poison.

The thing about "reactionaries" like the Luddites is that they were absolutely vindicated and proven correct by history. Those new technologies absolutely ushered in an incredible amount of forced displacement, poverty, massive escalations in the lethality of war. AI will absolutely 100% cause a lot of harm and misery, this is something that is being used as a selling point even, and this is even before we think about the propaganda and consensus manufacturing uses it will be put to.

Has anybody crunched the numbers yet on the carbon released into the atmosphere represented by having huge computing clusters replace labor normally taking nothing more than a pencil or a single hour or two of a laptop PSU?

This is where the whole derail started from, I think we've all learned a lot since then.

shoeberto posted:

How many folks itt debating ChatGPT have been involved in shipping a product to market based on ML/AI/big data?
Are there really any AI "products" outside tools to help people research AI?
I've been involved in some big data stuff and looking at ML solutions. It's tough!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

pumpinglemma posted:

We are failing to clear the bar of "almost everyone in the US and Europe is able to afford food and housing" for the first time since what, the 1920s? Both are certainly worse in the UK than they have been at any point since the second world war.
In New York 73,000 households were registered as homeless in Spring 1920, compared to 70,000 now. You calculate the proportions.

edit: 1920 not 2020

Vegetable fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 30, 2023

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I still don't see the point of using the stupid thing as a writing or researching aid past the level of propaganda/misinformation.

What good is a 16 page output going to do me if I have to spend more time verifying and researching said output than I would researching the topic myself and writing my own report based on my own research?
How do I know this scientific paper hasn't been ruined by a hidden cherry-picking bias in the AI?
What happens if new scientific discoveries are made, but they get ignored since they aren't prominent enough for the AI to notice? Or if they do get noticed, since the AI can't tell even numbers from uneven numbers, how is it supposed to judge the authenticity of the new science that contradicts things that used to be accepted as fact?

If an AI manages to eventually get accepted into a courtroom and somehow manages to actually win on a deeply flawed argument that it doesn't understand, what happens then when later trials cite that ruling as established precedent?

If I use the AI to babble out a wall of technical specs with no relation to reality and I manage to secure funding for said project, what exactly did anyone gain from this project being a massive failure and waste of public funds (aside from the scam artist pretending to be a professional)?

As far as I understand it, the AI can rephrase things, replicate art styles, spam out a lot of barely functional niche code and state things in authoritative wording without a single clue about its actual statement.

So it can lie effectively, but not be used for fact checking and not be relied upon for truth or accuracy.
It can plagiarize, but not actually create originally.
It can do low level grunt work in IT, but it can't make it reliably functional, so it has just shifted the grunt work of writing the code over to the grunt work of fixing someone else's lovely code.

So what's the point?

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

SerthVarnee posted:

I still don't see the point of using the stupid thing as a writing or researching aid past the level of propaganda/misinformation.

What good is a 16 page output going to do me if I have to spend more time verifying and researching said output than I would researching the topic myself and writing my own report based on my own research?
So what's the point?

It feels like the situation with self driving right now. What's the point of using self driving if you have to remain 100% vigilant the entire time because it may fail catastrophically at any moment?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Vegetable posted:

In New York 73,000 households were registered as homeless in Spring 2020, compared to 70,000 now. You calculate the proportions.
...doesn't New York have a government-enforced income-based rent cap? In the UK the housing market, and thus also rent, has been skyrocketing relative to income for my entire lifetime. I should probably stop derailing the tech thread with this though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

pumpinglemma posted:

...doesn't New York have a government-enforced income-based rent cap?

:lol::lol::lol: no

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Rent caps technically exist, but there are a bunch of loopholes that landlords can and do exploit to get around them.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
San Franciscans Keep Calling 911 About Baffling Self-Driving Car Behavior

Cruise receives the vast majority of complaints, including boxing in buses and trying to drive over fire hoses during active firefighting.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/93apqv/san-franciscans-keep-calling-911-about-baffling-self-driving-car-behavior

quote:

People called 911 to report dangerous, traffic-clogging, or otherwise simply baffling self-driving car behavior for 92 separate incidents in San Francisco during the last six months of 2022, according to a letter sent by local transit officials to a state regulator.

The letter, signed by the directors of the San Francisco Municipal Transportation Agency, the San Francisco County Transportation Authority, and the Mayor’s Office on Disability, opposes a huge service expansion requested by the two fully self-driving taxi services in the city, Cruise and Waymo. In particular, the authorities are worried by the “fundamental problems for the general public raised by Cruise AV performance.

Between May 29 and December 31, the city started getting a sharp increase in 911 calls about autonomous vehicles (AVs) blocking lanes and intersections, erratic driving, and “evasive maneuvers required by other road users,” according to the letter. These incidents ranged from lasting a few light cycles to several hours. According to the letter, 15 percent of reported cases involved multiple Cruise AVs “in clusters that obstructed multiple travel lanes and directions of travel.” Because these incidents happened between 10 pm and 6 am—the current limitations on operating hours—the blockades didn’t have the disruptive impact they might have if they occurred during the middle of the day or rush hour. In total, 92 separate incidents were bad enough that someone called 911, but the letter notes it could have been far more because they occur “when few travelers are on the streets to observe them.” A Cruise spokesperson says the company operates more than 100 AVs in San Francisco.

The letter also cites multiple examples where Cruise vehicles surrounded Muni buses preventing them from moving and causing delays, some which had been previously reported by local news services. If these incidents occurred during peak hours, as Cruise seeks permission to operate during, each incident alone would have delayed around 3,000 bus riders, the letter says.

Cruise vehicles have also interfered with fighting fires. The letter says that on June 12, a Cruise AV “ran over a fire hose that was in use at an active fire scene,” in violation of the California Vehicle Code. On January 21, 2023, a Cruise AV entered an active fire scene, drove towards the fire hoses on the ground, and failed to stop despite “efforts” made by the firefighters on scene to block it. They were “not able to do so,” the letter says, “until they shattered a front window of the Cruise AV.”

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
It is nothing short of lunatic behaviour to allow the testing of autonomous vehicles on public roads under any circumstances, except under the following conditions:

a) there is a safety driver, who is held responsible for traffic offenses as if they were driving
b) the corporation responsible for the development of the AV, and anyone involved in the testing of the AV, are jointly and severally liable for all damages (including delays to other traffic) caused by the vehicle

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

PT6A posted:

It is nothing short of lunatic behaviour to allow the testing of autonomous vehicles on public roads under any circumstances, except under the following conditions:

a) there is a safety driver, who is held responsible for traffic offenses as if they were driving
b) the corporation responsible for the development of the AV, and anyone involved in the testing of the AV, are jointly and severally liable for all damages (including delays to other traffic) caused by the vehicle

Oh when destruction derby drivers smash into everything it's considered "fun" and "entreating" but when AI's vehicles do it on the streets it's considered "insane", "incredibly dangerous" and "criminally negligent"?

I see a double standard here!!!!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
An AV demolition derby would actually be fun as gently caress, and a good proving ground for generalized autonomy/AI. Good idea, old chum!

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

PT6A posted:

An AV demolition derby would actually be fun as gently caress, and a good proving ground for generalized autonomy/AI. Good idea, old chum!

...What could possibly go wrong?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
That's the central plot of Maximum Overdrive.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

PT6A posted:

yeah, and for extra fun why don't we give the cars guns and missiles

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
Full sized Robot Wars, hell yeah.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Vegetable posted:

In New York 73,000 households were registered as homeless in Spring 1920, compared to 70,000 now. You calculate the proportions.

I'm a Luddite now. Utilitarianism always leaves the disadvantaged to die.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Excuse me, this is the tech nightmares thread, not the tech wet dreams thread

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

According to the mid-90s documentary Twisted Metal, it will be completely awesome.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

There'd better be a secret Jet Moto level

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Vegetable posted:

It feels wrong and cruel to still refer to them as "households".

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

I was terribly disappointed when I found out Robot Wars is just remote controlled. Would be much more interesting with actual combat AI.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The robots would have to be much bigger to fit a computer inside them unless they had really rudimentary (like FPS mobs) level AI, then you could get by with a Raspberry PI equivalent board. Of course, you really don't need much more than "charge at enemy, use weapon" in most of those battle bots competitions, so I guess it could still work.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Kwyndig posted:

Of course, you really don't need much more than "charge at enemy, use weapon" in most of those battle bots competitions, so I guess it could still work.

I mean you would definitely need a way of identify and tracking the other robot. How else could you get you're robot to face the right way and play your_mom_was_a_fleshlight_you_bargain_bin_ewaste.mp3?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i’m not really sure how google spider works these days. what prevents it from finding and adding millions of chatgpt-created pages/posts to google’s search database? surely google’s policing this in some way?

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Sensor data would probably be a pretty big issue, especially given that cameras are a massive weak spot. It would also massively drive up build costs. Probably the best way to do it would still be to make the robots remote-controlled, but hand over the remote to an AI and give all competing AIs access to camera data from the arena.

e:

abelwingnut posted:

i’m not really sure how google spider works these days. what prevents it from finding and adding millions of chatgpt-created pages/posts to google’s search database? surely google’s policing this in some way?
Absolutely nothing, it’s terrifying. Google will be trying to police it to whatever extent that they still care about search, but realistically even if they win the AI-detection arms race, from power usage alone it’s never going to be cost-effective to use it to filter out all results. And they haven’t even been able to handle conventional SEO spam for years.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jan 31, 2023

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
My problem with the chatgpt wave of hype is it looks like the exact same people who got into Crypto all over again. The same sort of braindead logic and euphoria from it being a new discovery to them while categorically ignoring any downsides or even general analysis of what they're getting out of it (and what they're doing to the dataset). In short, people lack a personal quality filter, critical thinking, or fail to understand that a tool is a tool and there can be very good and very bad implications, simultaneously - from this.

I tried it out and it gave me bad code, people said give it very specific tasks to make it work. It was nice to have some reference towards a code idea I was working on, but that's all. Am I going to benefit spending 10hrs trying to figure out how to work prompts for chatgpt to then ask for code again that I could better ask human beings with knowledge? I'm going with no. It just feels like a novelty/niche.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
At least algorithmically generated content in theory has uses, unlike the complete non-starter of blockchain. But it'll probably take years and burn through a lot more bored venture capitalist money til the current craze finally dies off and something maybe useful surfaces from the ashes at this rate.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

notwithoutmyanus posted:

My problem with the chatgpt wave of hype is it looks like the exact same people who got into Crypto all over again. The same sort of braindead logic and euphoria from it being a new discovery to them while categorically ignoring any downsides or even general analysis of what they're getting out of it (and what they're doing to the dataset). In short, people lack a personal quality filter, critical thinking, or fail to understand that a tool is a tool and there can be very good and very bad implications, simultaneously - from this.

I tried it out and it gave me bad code, people said give it very specific tasks to make it work. It was nice to have some reference towards a code idea I was working on, but that's all. Am I going to benefit spending 10hrs trying to figure out how to work prompts for chatgpt to then ask for code again that I could better ask human beings with knowledge? I'm going with no. It just feels like a novelty/niche.
Well, with cryptocurrency of course the first users were nerds going "this is neat, I can mine $1.50 and then use it to buy a snack in a vending machine in (some MIT building)", but then the speculators and conmen came in. It feels like this is on a more accelerated timescale.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Perhaps the scams are going to be harder to execute now that free investor money is starting to dry up

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Interstate 76 was such a good game

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

AvesPKS posted:

Interstate 76 was such a good game

Quarantine and Carmageddon too! The 90's were just a good time for car based combat it would seem.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Quarantine and Carmageddon too! The 90's were just a good time for car based combat it would seem.

It was a good time for games that were fun and casual. Games take themselves far, far too seriously these days.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Sagacity posted:

Perhaps the scams are going to be harder to execute now that free investor money is starting to dry up

Crypto was tailor made for con artists and pyramid schemes so the comparison becomes muddy at a point. Serious orgs are throwing real money at this - see Microsoft. But I do think that tighter capital markets, less opportunity to get individual investors involved, and an overall higher technical barrier of entry is going to keep it from being a shitshow of that magnitude.

Still, I'm maintaining my prediction that a startup will get naming rights to a pro sports stadium. It's going to be a company that makes generative content for dogs to watch when their owners are out of their house, something loving stupid like that.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

shoeberto posted:

Crypto was tailor made for con artists and pyramid schemes so the comparison becomes muddy at a point. Serious orgs are throwing real money at this - see Microsoft. But I do think that tighter capital markets, less opportunity to get individual investors involved, and an overall higher technical barrier of entry is going to keep it from being a shitshow of that magnitude.

Still, I'm maintaining my prediction that a startup will get naming rights to a pro sports stadium. It's going to be a company that makes generative content for dogs to watch when their owners are out of their house, something loving stupid like that.

Because serious orgs aren't throwing money at crypto?

https://www.ibm.com/blockchain

https://www.federalreserve.gov/central-bank-digital-currency.htm

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Unlike crypto, there are actual applications. Translation is a big one. Reproducing natural-sounding language has long been a problem along with the usual Blind Idiot Translation issues. My translation workflow has long shifted from google translating the rough draft and manually fixing up every single sentence, to dumping it into deepl and proofreading to fix difficult to translate spots.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 21 hours!
It's like random generation in video games in many ways; it has its uses, but it sure as gently caress isn't going to replace actual design entirely, especially when the novelty wears off. We have actually had at least one high profile game where level design was partly algorithmically generated to save development time- Balan Wonderworld. It was not well received.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

MonikaTSarn posted:

I was terribly disappointed when I found out Robot Wars is just remote controlled. Would be much more interesting with actual combat AI.

This is going waaaay back in my brain and good luck finding it for real, but I remember watching a news article about a team making an attempt at a fully autonomous one in the early 2000s. I assume that was for BattleBots. In order to have enough view of the arena, it was rather tall. I don't think it even won one round. I assume it just got knocked over from one of the million wedges people were using at the time.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It's like random generation in video games in many ways; it has its uses, but it sure as gently caress isn't going to replace actual design entirely, especially when the novelty wears off. We have actually had at least one high profile game where level design was partly algorithmically generated to save development time- Balan Wonderworld. It was not well received.

Morrowind was also procedurally generated and then touched up from what I understand. Daggerfall to go back even further.

And yeah, people that don't think word association ai/machine learning is not powerfully useful are not people that have been exposed to foreign language work. I work in a foreign language a lot of the time and google translate and DeepL are more than my little friends. The same work a decade ago was a lot more hard work.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Morrowind was also procedurally generated and then touched up from what I understand. Daggerfall to go back even further.

Oblivion used generation, not Morrowind. They generated terrain then tweaked it by hand so they wouldn't spend half the dev cycle hand-crafting erosion marks in hillsides. The dungeons were still constructed by hand.

The dungeons in Daggerfall were generated, along with towns and so forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Oblivion used generation, not Morrowind. They generated terrain then tweaked it by hand so they wouldn't spend half the dev cycle hand-crafting erosion marks in hillsides. The dungeons were still constructed by hand.

The dungeons in Daggerfall were generated, along with towns and so forth.

Oblivion's world was super bland after a couple of hours because of it.