Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Cleretic posted:

It was the fight, I can assure you. I actually joined in on a static a few friends of mine were in at the time because I wanted the orchestrion roll; I felt miserable for constantly dying and letting those friends down, and thanks to lag the firing-squad mechanic was so impossible for me to dodge in the way everyone else was teaching me to that I had to devise an entirely new method from scratch.

That static didn't let me in more than that once (I don't blame them, the person I was filling in for was only gone that once, and I was dragging down both the mood and the parse), so I had to rely on various party finder teams to get any wins, although I did get enough eventually to put together that rapier (the best-looking Emerald weapon for any of the jobs I was playing at the time; AST's is kinda meh). I only got that orchestrion roll as a pity gift.

I cleared Ruby and Diamond EX later to get the G-Warrior card. Both of them were better, in part because they had Echo buffs going, but neither was fun.

you want the content to be harder, but when it's harder you don't like it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Hell, even FFXI had opportunities for healers to throw out some debuffs and do some DPS. Fewer because you had to kneel on the ground to charge MP a bunch, but they were there.

Especially if you were the cursed WHM that actually leveled their club skill and could use Hexa Strike.

WHM/NIN was such a fun dps monster. Not as good solo as RDM but still solid.

Party play though unless you were jacked out in endgame gear it was sadly mostly healing, buffing, and kneeling. Pretty close to the honest healer role, especially for sea/sky.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 31, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lord_Magmar posted:

I mean, either you need to get in earlier when everybody is learning the fights and dying and so nobody is letting anyone else down, or you need to learn that dying isn't actually letting people down if they're inviting you in to learn. A clear is a clear and nobody is ever perfect their first time, that feeling of frustration sucks but in turn it means that you care and are trying hard and that's all anyone can ask for.

As far as lag I got nothing, you either need Uncle Alexander or to be on a server with a better connection for you. Parse groups aren't where you want to be first timing content, if that's what they actually were doing, and if they weren't the parse doesn't matter.

This was, like... week 1. I assure you, I was the only person beating myself up for this one, but I was doing enough mental self-DPS for a whole static.

The want to feel like I'm being useful kinda cuts both ways; I don't like being a healer on a team with a WAR because I feel like I'm not given a chance to do anything, but I also feel like poo poo for being on a team where I amount to nothing more than elaborate carpeting.

World War Mammories posted:

you want the content to be harder, but when it's harder you don't like it?

I don't want content to be harder, I just want tanks to be worse.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The problem with Criterion is that there just isn't much of it. Half a dozen or more people in my extended friend group, myself included, started WoW because of Mythic+ being added in Legion - but that was an incredibly replayable system that applied to vast swathes of content they were making anyway, and it let you pick your preferred difficulty level with extreme granularity. It was, in retrospect, almost like Deep Rock Galactic but for tab-targeting MMOs. Criterion, on the other hand, is a 4-player raid tier with two difficulty options and zero replayability. SE listened to the request for challenging 4-player content, and I hope they keep making Criterion dungeons, but mostly it demonstrated to me that their vision for their game is just not compatible with what I really want to play.

What I have always wished XIV would do is add a scaling system to the numbers in old dungeons. Literally do nothing except allow potentially-infinite number scaling and max level characters. Would running +18 Sastasha be dumb? Yeah probably. But I'd dearly love to do hard-hitting difficult versions of a bunch of Stormblood and later dungeon bosses.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Cleretic posted:

Again, this wouldn't make the content you're doing any harder or more engaging for healers and you'd heal 0 more gcds because even with a dogshit tank not hitting cooldowns you have enough oGCD heals to cover everything because they're made to be cleared by 4 slightly warm bodies and would make the content where individual player skill matter shittier for no benefit to anyone. It would not magically change how dungeon design works. It's a stupid take.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Cleretic posted:

This was, like... week 1. I assure you, I was the only person beating myself up for this one, but I was doing enough mental self-DPS for a whole static.

The want to feel like I'm being useful kinda cuts both ways; I don't like being a healer on a team with a WAR because I feel like I'm not given a chance to do anything, but I also feel like poo poo for being on a team where I amount to nothing more than elaborate carpeting.

Everyone is elaborate carpeting week one and nobody gives a crud about parsing. The best way to be helpful, is to learn and get better and accept that you'll die a few times because that's part of learning. Then, once you know the fight, you stop dying, and can save other people from their mistakes as a healer. This is a team game, you are never going to be the most important person in a team unless you seriously work hard at learning the game top to bottom. Nobody is going to perfectly do a fight first time, so you dying and learning and improving IS useful, it's more useful than you not participating at all.

Normal Dungeons are designed specifically so that basically anyone can do it, you are never going to have what you want out of healing from a Normal Dungeon. Because for every tank who uses everything and doesn't need a healer, there's a tank who uses nothing and is carried by their healer, and vice versa. You have so many more healing buttons than you need for any content besides savage, even extremes you don't really need all your buttons depending on when you do it.

I would also say that the Weapon Series can be particularly bad, whilst most of the extremes in this expansion so far have been very quick to learn and feel good.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 31, 2023

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Savage Criterion has plenty spicy mob damage

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cleretic posted:

The thing is that you have genuine proof that wouldn't change anything because a lot of tanks are in fact pretty bad and don't use all the tools available to them, and it doesn't actually change your gameplay one iota in dungeons. Like yeah Warrior can full heal themselves in a big pull but what does that actually lose you? Because I main healer and I promise you that one full heal is not actually changing a single way I do things versus the tanks who don't actually use that except I have one spare oGCD available instead of two.

I could understand it if like there were actual hard healing moments you were missing out on but you're not. The only thing that really puts tanks at risk is being undergeared or not using mit and even that only really matters if the DPS are being slow at AoEing.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 31, 2023

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The problem with Criterion is whenever I read about it I get confused and think I'm in a discussion for the Criterion Collection.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I feel like outside bosses and aesthetics dungeons are just pretty dull in general, for everyone. I remember Smileton exciting me just for the novelty of one of the mobs having a donut instead of an aoe.

Cleretic posted:

It was the fight, I can assure you. I actually joined in on a static a few friends of mine were in at the time because I wanted the orchestrion roll; I felt miserable for constantly dying and letting those friends down, and thanks to lag the firing-squad mechanic was so impossible for me to dodge in the way everyone else was teaching me to that I had to devise an entirely new method from scratch.

That static didn't let me in more than that once (I don't blame them, the person I was filling in for was only gone that once, and I was dragging down both the mood and the parse), so I had to rely on various party finder teams to get any wins, although I did get enough eventually to put together that rapier (the best-looking Emerald weapon for any of the jobs I was playing at the time; AST's is kinda meh). I only got that orchestrion roll as a pity gift.

I cleared Ruby and Diamond EX later to get the G-Warrior card. Both of them were better, in part because they had Echo buffs going, but neither was fun.

Ah, got you, thanks. That's understandable.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Pigbuster posted:

I feel like outside bosses and aesthetics dungeons are just pretty dull in general, for everyone.

I like em, number BIG.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Cleretic posted:

I've also heard that these days WAR's sustain might be so good that it's actually a DPS loss for WHM if they're there. I'm not the number-crunchy sort so I can't confirm this, but Afflatus Misery is now a minor DPS gain (especially in AoE situations), so WAR being basically invincible takes that away.

This is not the way you should be thinking about Afflatus spells, at least if you're trying to optimize.

Basically, any time you have a chance to cast Solace or Rapture while not in combat or while a boss is untargetable, you should do so until you have charged Misery. Doing so is always a gain. Even if it means you have to use a GCD later then you are still up: a Solace out of combat + a Regen (or Cure 2, but, eww) in combat is just as much Misery charge and more healing than doing nothing out of combat and a Solace in combat. Same goes for movement: casting a 100% overheal Rapture while moving and a Medica 2 later is as much Misery charge and more healing than casting nothing while moving and Rapture for effect later.

Basically, Afflatus Rapture and Afflatus Solace are slightly stronger Ruin 2s that you may use out of combat. They also do some healing, as a bonus, but that is not their primary function.

As a consequence, the HP of your tank and party members is mostly immaterial to good Afflatus use. In dungeons, very nearly 100% of your Afflatus heal casts should be done while running between packs. In any boss fight that has frequent untargetable phases (High Concept, etc) or extended movement you will want to make sure you can cover those phases with Solace or Rapture. Ideally you also to arrange things so that you go into said phases with people on low health so the heal effects of those spells are also useful (if you're in High Concept then this should not be hard), but you should prefer using Afflatus heals over doing nothing even if the heals are 100% wasted.

E: How much you care about this particular optimization is of course up to you, I'm the first to admit it's weird and counterintuitive. However, with the current spell mechanics it is objectively what WHMs should be doing.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 31, 2023

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I am a brokebrain who played nothing but Medic in TF2 and my favorite Dota dude to play was Crystal Maiden. I play lots of SCH.

Anyway here are my current portraits: Edgy DRK, angry RDM, cheery NIN, and JRPG healer pose WHM.

I’ve been working on Camill Hect NIN cosplay too. Very, very gray.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

barclayed posted:

what pose do you use for the selfie one

Slap. I can't remember whether I came up with that myself or caught someone else mentioning it.

Meanwhile, I'm starting to get my groove going with tanking. I felt confident enough to main tank Labyrinth of the Ancients yesterday and had enough experience from the DPS side to know mostly what to do. I pulled Bone Dragon west as a troll and the only feedback I got was "Keep going, pull him all the way to the end!" I knew the tank's job in the Atomos fight is to pull the adds back so the ones on the pad can kill them. I've never had any idea what to do with the fight where there's Magic Pots and only part of the raid can damage the boss (and I'm not in that group), but the bomb and Phlegethon went off without a hitch.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Dareon posted:

I've never had any idea what to do with the fight where there's Magic Pots and only part of the raid can damage the boss (and I'm not in that group)

Grab/kill the adds, mostly. I think those adds might be able to kill the Magic Pots? In any event, the two parties not fighting the boss should just play crowd control on the Nemesis/Sandman packs.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
When that fight was current, protecting the pots was an actual thing. The main mechanic of that fight would be the Sandman adds targeting the pots and dealing damage to them, as well as Thanatos itself grabbing the pots and pulling them toward him. Healers could target the pots themselves to heal them, and in fact had to heal them to fill in order to break Thanatos's tether.

All this mattered because the pots are what do the cast that turns your party into ghosts to actually damage the boss. If the pot dies, then there's no cast to ghost-ify a party which means it takes longer to DPS the boss down. I don't remember how many rotations it'd go through, but I do recall wiping because pots died.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cleretic posted:

That said... I want to play a healer. I enjoy healing. So tanks that do my job for me that easily feel poo poo to play around, because I'm no longer the healer: I'm the team's third, much worse DPS. WAR's always been the worst about it, but he's dragged the others up the curve too.
oh? why are you gendering warrior as 'he?' is it because they have big axes and armor? you sexist.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Tanks/dogs are always boys.

Healers/cats are always girls.

DPS/fish are enby.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

They've definitely been more willing recently to add bigger heal throughput checks to force healers to use their new tools, especially in the most recent savages and the 6.2ex.

I think it would be nice if some dungeon bosses did a little more party wide damage, as healing them can be pretty boring sometimes if your DPS know what they're doing.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That's exactly the problem though. People in dungeons often don't know what they're doing and this is already very pronounced in level cap dungeons that rotated out of EXDR, or those that were in EXDR an expansion or so ago.

It's the WoW Cataclysm release healer model, which was awful in content with automatic matchmaking. As a healer you'd have to deal with baseline "challenging healer gameplay" on top of new/bad party members eating most available damage. If you were playing DPS/tank, the new or bad healer will struggle with the mechanics and not have the mental capacity (or MP) to also deal with potent, unavoidable damage. There's no real solution other than having separate difficulty modes where "know what you're doing" is expected, but then you're not really doing those with randos.

orcane fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jan 31, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Mainwaring posted:

They've definitely been more willing recently to add bigger heal throughput checks to force healers to use their new tools, especially in the most recent savages and the 6.2ex.

I think it would be nice if some dungeon bosses did a little more party wide damage, as healing them can be pretty boring sometimes if your DPS know what they're doing.

I'd like more cleansing/Doom mechanics in dungeons, actually, they're always interesting moments for dungeon healing to break up the monotony. I don't like how a lot of the recent ones have been effects on getting hit with an AoE, though; not only does that feel like punishing the healer for someone else loving up (more than 'someone else got hit' already is, at least), but it also means the healer doesn't get to do their fight-specific mechanic in the higher-power teams that are probably already stopping them doing much of their whole 'healing' thing anyway.

Endorph posted:

oh? why are you gendering warrior as 'he?' is it because they have big axes and armor? you sexist.

Quite fair, my bad, and I'm fixing it.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Can you come take the tanks I get in roulette off my hands? I would like your tanks that never come close to dying, rather than mine which don't know what mitigation is or how to get out of bad.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

If you want to feel busy as a healer play Astro so you can put cards on everyone and feel like you're doing more than spamming your hurt man button

That's why I main Astro tbh, taking it back to FFXI, it's the closest thing to running a Haste cycle in FFXIV

aers posted:

I mained BRD in ffxi for 3 years lol

Imagine carnage elegy in xiv. hosed up.

Goondolences, my friend.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mainwaring posted:

I promise you DPSing and tanking dungeons is also boring if you're good at your class.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

DACK FAYDEN posted:

It's kind of gone the way of XIV, the top-end Bards and Corsairs are right up there with the melees dropping weaponskills at about the same rate in most of the older content. The new stuff has punishing enough AoEs that you can't get away with it, and you do have to consider that hitting the mob feeds it TP to use its stuff more often.

...that said, Geomancer also still exists and the only reason it's not tearing up everything is that almost all the important content designed in the last few years has "-50%/-75% geomancy strength" baked in to all its NMs and sometimes also the trash mobs.

I was a COR main when I played FFXI all the way up til ~2019. In Dynamis Divergence, I was top of the parse even before you counted my ~15-30% attack buff roll on the party.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I promise you DPSing and tanking dungeons is also boring if you're good at your class.

Things only ever get exciting (After the first few times through a new dungeon, at least) if someone else is absolute dogshit. Which is fine, if you want challenge, that's what Extreme/Ultimate is for.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Kazy posted:

I was a COR main when I played FFXI all the way up til ~2019. In Dynamis Divergence, I was top of the parse even before you counted my ~15-30% attack buff roll on the party.
I have heard in Dyna-D you can still top the charts! I was only thinking of Odyssey bosses and Sortie (so the last like two years of content)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Dareon posted:

Things only ever get exciting (After the first few times through a new dungeon, at least) if someone else is absolute dogshit. Which is fine, if you want challenge, that's what Extreme/Ultimate is for.

Oh yeah I'm not saying they should change dungeons it's just that by design you're going to be bored if you know what you're doing.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 31, 2023

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
https://twitter.com/ivalicea/status/1620213211239964674?t=wqTUUoYHPliMiXA8heq_CQ&s=19

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

There is likely a Gunbreaker glamour that will satisfy the TF2 scout whim. It even comes with a (spiked) club.

I made mine for MCH but everything here (but the gun, obviously) is class-agnostic, so you could do it for GNB if you wanted.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/3ead59e51b6ddd5bec9b04a2652eb5739cdb7c9e

Dad is disappointed.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
His disappointed dad energy is off the charts, god drat

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

I made mine for MCH but everything here (but the gun, obviously) is class-agnostic, so you could do it for GNB if you wanted.

lol hell yeah good job

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Players: oh poo poo, Yoshi-P is about to get mad about mods

Me, who just installed their first mod, a UI edit that makes the minimap a square: Oh no whAT have I DONE

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

MechaX posted:

His disappointed dad energy is off the charts, god drat

Yoshi-P posted:

Separate from the above incident, we have also confirmed that a small portion of footage that is not possible to record on the public game servers had also been circulating We have numerous countermeasures in place when it comes to data leaks, including how information is handled, the entering and exiting of content, and video recordings—it is suspected that this video originated from an internal source. We are continuing thorough investigations on this matter as well, and a firm punishment will be given to anyone who is identified as the perpetrator.

in Yoshi-P terms this means that the perpetrator might want to make sure their will is updated

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The people I feel the most bad for are the MCH mains who were excited to finally have one in a WF clear.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Bleck posted:

Me, who just installed their first mod, a UI edit that makes the minimap a square: Oh no whAT have I DONE

It’s very difficult for me to understand as a gamer what the meaning behind using numerous third-party tools to square the map would be.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Waffleman_ posted:

The people I feel the most bad for are the MCH mains who were excited to finally have one in a WF clear.

There's a decent chance there'll be one in the first non-cheating world-first, too. Apparently MCH's low buff amount makes it pretty good at sliding under that buff cap issue with Hello World.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

cannot believe the thread spent the entire night on cleretic's wild ride

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Cleretic posted:

Quite fair, my bad, and I'm fixing it.

lmfao