Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

https://twitter.com/RaveofRavendale/status/1620041728878153732?t=Cqgc1Bsn3bWtCu8RGFsR3A&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Brandon Sanderson writes video game novels perhaps you've heard of Mistborn?

Anyway, dear FROM, please make a game set in Appalachian coal country:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That's not true.

It's a $30 game.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
E3 Booth Babes were dumb as hell as an idea but having to explain to my parents why there were scantily clad women all over a video game conference was a treasured memory I won't ever forget.

"I just don't see how a bikini is going to help sell a pokemon."

:allears:

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

this is maybe a little unfair, since the other recently released title being mentioned is forspoken, and it's not hard to outsell forspoken on steam when you need the 2023 equivalent of a machine that can run crysis on max settings to get the thing to go at a stable 30 FPS

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

External Organs posted:

Brandon Sanderson writes video game novels perhaps you've heard of Mistborn?

Anyway, dear FROM, please make a game set in Appalachian coal country:

We already have the perfect coal country game. It is called Fallout 76.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

the big studio games are dyin, cloud

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Mr Hootington posted:

We already have the perfect coal country game. It is called Fallout 76.

Man I never saw Klan hoods, Confederate flags, and missing teeth in any of the preview images.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

the big studio games are dyin, cloud

Hi-Fi Rush is a Bethesda game published by Microsoft.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Waffleman_ posted:

They should go the full Square Enix and pivot to making AA games especially because they suck rear end at big games that aren't Forza.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
HFR is good but all the tweets talking it up act like it’s some market defying underdog instead of a smaller project with the backing of industry giants

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Oxxidation posted:

HFR is good but all the tweets talking it up act like it’s some market defying underdog instead of a smaller project with the backing of industry giants

(also pentiment)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Should more games go for the Beyonce surprise drop" ignoring that you have to already be Beyonce to make that work.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Like I didn't think Stray was bad but I think it clearly got the buzz to win big rear end "indie game" awards because it got pushed by Sony lol

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

No ethical gaming under capitalism

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Jay Rust posted:

Actually you can play Genshin Impact, from China, OP.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

It's cool the $30 game is doing really well and got 9.5's all over the place. Anything to impede the notion of 'games have to cost $70 now'

But also,

Jay Rust posted:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Who is this? Why should I care? Also, his conclusion is not in any way supported by his example, so I'm inclined to write him off as a clout chasing buffoon, so nevermind about my first 2 questions.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Agnostalgia posted:

As funny as it is to think that classical statues were painted by five-year-olds, they created that reproduction by analyzing paint traces on the marble so it's probably just a rendering of the base layers before detail work was added.

Interesting, my first thought was "There's no way it was that loving stupid looking when the sculpture itself is so detailed".

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Waffleman_ posted:

This isn't technically wrong, but there's a big difference between "developed by Tango Gameworks and published by Bethesda Softworks" and "developed by Bethesda Game Studios and published by Xbox Game Studios". Just being owned by a huge company four levels up doesn't mean you have access to their entire war chest to make whatever you want.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Vermain posted:

it's probably a consequence of classical sculptures having been stripped to the marble that we have the notion of colorless figures being somehow more dignified or noble, which is especially hilarious considering how cartoonishly garish they would've looked at the time

now that's some loving mcdonald's rear end coloring

drat can't believe they added Mark Zuckerberg to Fortnite

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Though, yes, on some level, I do appreciate that Microsoft's focus on the Game Pass model is leading to them putting money and publicity on smaller passion project type games like HFR and Pentiment that probably would have had a lot harder a time without it.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

mutata posted:

Who is this? Why should I care? Also, his conclusion is not in any way supported by his example, so I'm inclined to write him off as a clout chasing buffoon, so nevermind about my first 2 questions.

He's Mike Rose, founder of No More Robots, publisher of most notably Hypnospace Outlaw. You could have figured this out by simply clicking through to see his profile.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Never reading twitter or imagining why you're supposed to care about what anyone says on twitter is, a blessing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Hi-Fi Rush, Wanted: Dead in two weeks, Wo Long in March, maybe the anime tidday DMC will be good too who knows... I'm CAGGIN' out here, baby!

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

i would have said AAA games but that word is banned

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

Jay Rust posted:

Toby Fox personally bulldozes a Ferngully tree and burns it to power his 2006 HP laptop for every copy of Undertale sold

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

He's Mike Rose, founder of No More Robots, publisher of most notably Hypnospace Outlaw. You could have figured this out by simply clicking through to see his profile.

I don't go to Twitter, sorry. It's on whoever is posting a tweet out of context with no comment to explain why anyone should care what a random on Twitter says.

In any case, his tweet is still illogical and contrived. Those 2 things have questionable correlation and absolutely zero causation, so regardless of what he's done, that tweet is stupid and it sucks (as most do).

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Good lord

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Regardless, the 70 dollars is still bull, considering that some of the first games to do it were the 2K sports games that are already stacked to the gills with microtransactions and product placements.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mutata posted:

I don't go to Twitter, sorry. It's on whoever is posting a tweet out of context with no comment to explain why anyone should care what a random on Twitter says.

You ok?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yep!

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

mutata posted:

In any case, his tweet is still illogical and contrived. Those 2 things have questionable correlation and absolutely zero causation, so regardless of what he's done, that tweet is stupid and it sucks (as most do).
It wasn't an assertion of correlation or causation though. Hi-Fi Rush is in fact a top seller on Steam despite being available on Game Pass. And those metrics are based on revenue not sales counts, so it is legitimately competitive with much more expensive games.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

mutata posted:

Who is this? Why should I care?

:ironicat:

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Volte posted:

It wasn't an assertion of correlation or causation though. Hi-Fi Rush is in fact a top seller on Steam despite being available on Game Pass.

Ok, but then they drew the conclusion "therefore games don't need to cost $70", which may be true, but I don't see how his evidence is related to that in any way. Devs and publishers get paid for their games being on Game Pass, right? So what if it's selling well on Steam? It's a good game. Is it only selling well because it's $40? They're selling X number of units at $40, but how much revenue are they making? What of that is profit? Is $40 sustainable for the cost of production or are they selling at a loss? Does revenue from game pass not count? I honestly do not see the connection, sorry. I could just be dumb, though!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I don't think there's too much of a distinction to be drawn here other than that Hi-Fi Rush is a really good game at a favorable price point that came out around the same time as Forspoken, which is probably not. People naturally want to create some kind of narrative around how this means the little guy will prevail against the big evil megacorp (also not accurate) meanwhile AAA Hogfart's Lameassy has sold a trillion pre-orders in the same timeframe.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Volte posted:

It wasn't an assertion of correlation or causation though. Hi-Fi Rush is in fact a top seller on Steam despite being available on Game Pass. And those metrics are based on revenue not sales counts, so it is legitimately competitive with much more expensive games.

https://twitter.com/BenjiSales/status/1619730479623831554

honestly, even being in the top 10 is a pretty good achievement on its own for a shadow dropped title with zero marketing

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

drat Dead Space doing well

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Trombone Champ cost $15 but nobody declared the industry should refocus on ultra-low-cost rhythm games*. Sometimes stuff just goes viral for no obvious or easily reproducible reason and it doesn't have larger implications

*again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

drat Dead Space doing well

steam has a weird thing where it separates out preorders from launch day sales, so that's the base version, the preordered base version, the deluxe version, and the preordered deluxe version all cluttering up the chart